• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paranormal Activity VR coming to Morpheus/Vive/Rift

KoopaTheCasual

This seems like it could really be a system seller and move VR units on name brand alone.

Edit: Until the first report of it actually killing someone.

hesido

The HoloLens version would be unplayable. Imagine walking around your house and suddenly having stuff appear then quickly vanish in your peripheral (holo) vision. Or opening a closet door and having something jump at you. 'Thafukouttahere with that stuff.

The game could be designed around it. You could be looking through a "ghost vision sensor" for example.

jaypah

Horror is the FUCKING WORST THING EVER in VR. Well, let me rephrase that. If you like being scared it's the best but...man fuck that, lol. I've "noped" out of damn near every horror demo I've tried and they didn't even have insane production values or anything. VR just makes things more believable and horror mixed with heightened believability is terrifying.

DavidDesu

Horror is the FUCKING WORST THING EVER in VR. Well, let me rephrase that. If you like being scared it's the best but...man fuck that, lol. I've "noped" out of damn near every horror demo I've tried and they didn't even have insane production values or anything. VR just makes things more believable and horror mixed with heightened believability is terrifying.

But that sells VR! Donning a headset can fuck people up is a great selling point haha!

Honestly PT in VR would probably cause PTSD. Not even from the jump scares, but from transporting you into that atmospheric world. The world building and sound somehow elevated that to an immersive experience on a tv screen. Playing in VR, actually knowing what ti feels like to be in that space, would seriously give you nightmares and start fucking up your waking thoughts. I'd be scared of the dark again.

Head.spawn

I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Marked Ones'. As convoluted as it was, it actually attempted to tie together a story/plot/backstory behind the entire series.

jaypah

But that sells VR! Donning a headset can fuck people up is a great selling point haha!

Honestly PT in VR would probably cause PTSD. Not even from the jump scares, but from transporting you into that atmospheric world. The world building and sound somehow elevated that to an immersive experience on a tv screen. Playing in VR, actually knowing what ti feels like to be in that space, would seriously give you nightmares and start fucking up your waking thoughts. I'd be scared of the dark again.

I agree that it's a great way to show off the potential of VR. It's just creepy as fuck though. Headphones on in a house alone? Breh.

Lexad

Seems like a better mixed reality hololens experience being able to integrate with your real room.

Dammit now that is scary

I believe there is a phone app that turns your phone into a fatal frame esque device that looked cool

Trup1aya

The horror genre seems like it would benefit more from VR than any other genre... There's no reason folks couldn't come up with some truly horrifying experiences...

Unfortunately for me, I don't like being scared...

Tesseract

Banned
why are there always people telling us how some movie didn't scare them

damn you people, go back to your shanties

Durante

People who played The Kitchen seemed to have enjoyed it.
Well, then either it wasn't very good horror (good as in legitimately upsetting), or it wasn't very good VR, or the trade show setting reduces its impact, or the people were all exceedingly hard-boiled. Or any combination of those :p

Wynnebeck

Banned
Pretty sure MS already tried this:

para.png

Finally, something to sell me on VR.

No joke, the PA movies are some of the most fun (and in the case of 1 & 2, legitimately spectacular) movies I've seen in the past few years. Can't get enough of their wacky chronology, backwards plot structure, and ability to turn footage of nothing into pants-shitting tension.

This. Not sure what to make of it since I haven't experienced horror in VR but is there a chance that we are overestimating its impact?
Well it was demoed on Morpheus, which is by all accounts less convincing than the latest headsets from HTC and Oculus. And even if it was on the Vive or Rift consumer versions, at highest fidelity, in a more suitable environment, this is just the beginning of where VR wants to go. Those launch headsets will still have many hardware and software hurdles to overcome, and some of these hard-boiled 'I love horror' people will still latch on to those issues and missing elements to remain chilled about the whole thing. But everyone has a limit, and it will be crossed - then it's game over.

You're all just fucking around, right?

Paranormal Activity as a franchise has become one of the most awful, cheesy pieces of shit when it comes to "found footage" as a genre, let alone horror. The first movie, more or less, seemed like a lucky shot after the next 4 (with Paranormal Activity 6 coming later this year)

This will just be some shitty jump scares with a shoed in cult plot.

I love the whole PA Mythos.

People like different things than you. It's a thing.

Why is that? Legitimately curious.
Once a high level of presence is achieved (my guess is within the next 10 years), VR has the potential to affect someone in exactly the same way that real-world occurrences affect people. Consider how you'd be terrified if someone was actually about to murder you - that feeling is going to be achievable in VR. It's possible that someone could be physically hurt, i.e. from a heart attack, but it's the mental side of things that is the bigger danger, imo. PTSD seems to be a very real possibility, but I suspect it will be self-regulating to some degree - the developers will not want to make the content once a certain threshold is reached.

Top Bottom