• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer explains FFXV's "pre-beta" state: Playable start to finish, half polished

Samimista

It feels surreal to finally post on NeoGAF. I've been lurking here ever since Versus XIII was renamed as XV.

That said, I'm glad to hear about the overall progress with the game. I was ten years old when Versus XIII was originally announced in 2006 (I'm nineteen now, for the record), and I'm still hyped as ever for XV...I think I might even get a bit emotional when the game finally releases next year, haha.

P.S. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone. A lot of you I recognize from over the years. :)

Koozek

It feels surreal to finally post on NeoGAF. I've been lurking here ever since Versus XIII was renamed as XV.

That said, I'm glad to hear about the overall progress with the game. I was ten years old when Versus XIII was originally announced in 2006 (I'm nineteen now, for the record), and I'm still hyped as ever for XV...I think I might even get a bit emotional when the game finally releases next year, haha.

P.S. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone. A lot of you I recognize from over the years. :)

NruLKFW.gif

Welcome my friend. Grab a drink, cut yaself a piece of chocobo cake and enjoy

Welcome Prince Noctis

Go_Ly_Dow

Welcome! :)

Glad to have you with us for the final push.

BELIEVE!

Wakka212

actually I think at some point in the story the car will get destroyed. This was my first thought while I was reading the car is some kind of Regis's representation. That would be a good point introduce an airship.

Agreed.

Basically it would be great if at some point there is a means of transportation to explore previously uncharted territories in the game.

These areas don't necessarily need to be incorporated into the story (although it would be nice if there are story related reasons to travel from one place to another quickly), rather they could be secret areas for the player to explore and retrieve special weapons, meet new item vendors, interact with secret characters, or gain fantastic summons.

I always enjoyed taking my airship to some small piece of land that for some reason had incredibly strong enemies that would destroy me and in the rare chance I beat them, would drop incredible items / weapons / experience.

That sense of discovery and wonder, uncontrolled by the narrative structure, is what I crave.

Samimista

Thank you, Kooz! *brofist* I would have responded back with a .GIF, but I couldn't find a good one, haha.

Welcome my friend. Grab a drink, cut yaself a piece of chocobo cake and enjoy

:) Thank you, Sanji. I will be sure to bring some Behemoth Burgers for everyone.

Welcome Prince Noctis

Thanks, Noctis! It's always nice to see you. I remember when you had the Versus XIII era Noctis as your avatar.

Welcome! :)

Glad to have you with us for the final push.

BELIEVE!

Thanks for the warm welcome, M_Night! I'm glad to finally be aboard the hype train. I think we're gonna be in for quite the ride. :)

Ceravic

But but but....the game is never coming out! They have no idea what they're doing!
/s

Welcome to the party!

Philippo

Welcome!

Yeah i'm there with you pal, i teared up when i heard Somnus in ED menu, sure as hell i'll cry when i'll hold the game in my hands, it's such a special project to me, and have felt this way since the very beginning 10yrs ago, and it's so good and refreshing knowing there others that feel the same even know when a lot of people is constantly shitting on the game (although SE sure did give them valid reasons to do so).

reKon

Banned
You don't release big blockbuster games during Summer (unless it's early June) it's the graveyard from an economic perspective. Kids are outside, vacation, etc but you will say " there's plenty of people that got time to play in the Summer!" The reality is otherwise. Sept and beyond are perfect since everyone is back to school and winter around corner.

Fine, end of August

Welcome. Always great to see new posters come and post about there excitement about FFXV. Don't let GAF change that about you. Keep up the positivity. ;)

Welcome and
tumblr_inline_n6f4e1XIfR1qcre8i.gif

Koozek

A few cool quotes from Tabata about SE/FFXV's development:

"I loved Vagrant Story so much, so when I had the opportunity to meet Matsuno, I asked him all about the game. I was extremely impressed. Matsuno knew everything about his game – every single little detail."

"The Final Fantasy XV team structure is flat. There’s none of the traditional hierarchy that you find in large-scale game development. If there are lots of report lines, I find that important information stops at the top, and people on the ground don’t know what the issues are, or what key decisions have been made. I dislike that approach.

Instead, everybody has the right to pitch in with the decision-making and to help resolve the issues. We have some meeting rooms on the floor, but generally I encourage the team to meet in the open space so that everyone else can hear what’s going on.

One of the policies I’ve created for the team is that, even though each individual has different opinions, I want everyone to report to me about issues. I try to fix things immediately, rather than leaving them to fester for a couple of weeks. Everybody is free to report everything, and then fix it straight away."

"It’s very important to keep our fans, especially those who have been around for 30 years. But there’s always pressure to be attracting new players, of course. I don’t think we have to make a choice to appeal to one group or the other. In many cases, what works for one will hopefully work for the other."

"Tabata and his team have spent a great deal of time studying western open-world games. They consider The Witcher III to be a recent genre high point."

Philippo

One of Tabata's best and most underappreciated skill is his team-building ability.
He's really rejuvenating SE's aooriach to game developement in many areas.
Hope it'll play out well, both for us and him.

Preach! I've been lurking around for a while and finally decided to join. There have been countless things I've been wanting to discuss and argue about, find ways to defend decisions taken by Tabata and SE, including the whole Dawn 2.0 fiasco.

Tabata's statements about the close-knit development team and how things are running are more than reassuring. I've never followed the development of a game for this long, and for all it's worth it's been an exciting ride. I liked everything about the March demo and have no doubt that the final game will deliver. I'm in gaf now and can safely say I BELIEVE.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. Their appreciation for W3 is music to my ears. As a die hard jRPG fan, Witcher 3 is the Western game that comes closest to what I want in an RPG. If XV has half the focus on storytelling through character interaction, I'll likely be happy with it.

What are the current plans for FFXV's combat system? Will there still be a lot of automated actions? I haven't had a chance to play the Duscae demo's

What are the current plans for FFXV's combat system? Will there still be a lot of automated actions? I haven't had a chance to play the Duscae demo's

It doesn't matter really. The combat system is already different from the demo in most ways. Currently we don't really know how it plays.

Anyway, hopefully the next showing of the game is as improved as this UI (and I liked the original UI too)...

Top Bottom