• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer explains FFXV's "pre-beta" state: Playable start to finish, half polished

Illucio

Banned
I hope they give us the Alpha/Beta for the unpolished half so we can elaborate on that. Granted that's assuming the first half is perfectly polished.

Koozek

From Google Reverse Image Search

POIfkaO.jpg

brb packing bags

plane-taking-off.jpg

ackl

That's a picture from Sun Siyam Iru Fushi resort, in Maldives, quite a distance away from South East Asia.

Haz's team is in charge of fleshing out the locales though, so regardless he probably had a hand in the aesthetic of that dev screenshot, regardless of whether it was influenced by Maldives or SEA or otherwise.

Yeah, I remember he's suppose to be the guy that looks after the cultural aspect of XV which was why I mentioned his name.

Mortemis

Banned
you can see the new UI (at least the character HP section and the mini map)
CV6oRUBXIAEix9x.jpg:orig

Holy crap does that look good, love it. The new UI not so much, I wish they stuck with their old one.

UI looks loads better, honestly.

Having a slanted design with the MP bar just adds character to it all. FFXV's HUD has been minimalistic, and that's great, but it lacked something with it looking having right-angles everywhere. The new UI adds a bit of style while retaining the minimalism. It's cool.

Maldives town is looking great. FFXV's art direction is great as always. Want to see it all come together in a trailer.

The new UI feels done before to me, can't explain it exactly but looks like I've seen it before and not unique at all, and tbh it's probably the slants, lol. The old one was great, it was really clean and minimalistic but still stood out to me.

DOWN

Banned
I know a lot of people are negative (saying they don't like the characters, the combat, open world, etc.) about FFXV and a lot are really skeptical, to the point where it feels to me like most people fall in one of those categories, but I personally am really excited by what we've seen and feel really optimistic about the game. It seems like it's got heart behind a lot of the inspirations.

Adding to his initial post on the game’s official forums, FFXV programmer Satoshi Kitade noted that the pre-beta build is currently running on both development PCs and on PS4, though the latter still has areas that require optimization and adjustments due to memory.

Memory optimization is a big deal and is the main reason why the dodge roll mechanic wasn’t included in the initial release of Final Fantasy XV Episode Duscae. According to Kitade, because the memory that can be used is limited, developers have to compromise when they go through adjusting parts of the game. It’s up to them to decide what can and can’t be added in based on the different parts of the game and what resources are being allocated to each one.

Adding the dodge roll was something that had to fit into memory along with all the coding related to avoidance and is the reason the specific action wasn’t added in until version 2.0. Because the final game is being developed on under different circumstances, the restrictions back from the demo days don’t necessarily hold true today.

From Nova Crystallis

ackl

Has framerate been talked about before that? I don't remember.

Very briefly. I think, IIRC, in one of the ATRs, Tabata acknowledged that gamers prefer stable framerate than resolution. So, I think the priority for them is to get a stable framerate first then work out the resolution.

sappyday

Those new leaked concept arts actually got me really excited. It does seem like they're going to toy with the idea of having a chick into the the bro group dynamic, but where I thought it would be funny to see them make a fool of themselves, it might differ in that they're already friends with her and they all act casually together.

Rising_Hei

The Luminous Engine at least imo is one and done it's currently the only game using it and the funny thing it's still being worked upon alongside the game .. I could be wrong but I'm not expecting a sequel to this game, unless reviews and sales are insane which I doubt.
I feel like it's exactly the opposite... if the game doesn't do well they will feel like they have to make a cheap sequel reusing assets to get some money back

I just hope thet can tune up the IQ because it feels like a PS2 game at times @ duscae

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well i don't see why they introduced an FF15 and a KH3 for XB1 if they were just gonna half ass it through support and stuff like that. I'm assuming the XB1 version is gonna be a dirty port of the PS4 version like FF13 was.

good AA and stable frame rate is more important to me.

So in the end, if those are given, I would be fine with 900p.

We're gonna get a post process solution anyway, so AA should really have no consideration or res. As for framerate...yeah i agree, but if its not GPU limited, i say go for it.

If its the CPU there's really nothing to do about it.

benzy

Yeah, at least birugeitsu says that he's going to a shrine to make a new year wish for 1080p / 30fps, lol.

Lool.

PS4 has little memory confirmed, not even enough for a roll, god knows about the Xbox version.

That was just the nature of being an early build. Both versions should be fine.

In order to add the dodge roll, all the resources and gameplay coding associated with avoidance had to fit into memory, and that’s why it was added only in 2.0.

That said, Kitade-san clarified that the development of the demo and the current development of the final game are done under different circumstances, which are also influenced by the progress on development of the game itself. The restrictions that had to be considered back when the demo was being developed don’t necessarily apply anymore now.

artsi

Stumpled upon this on the official forum:
The German version of the official FFXV site has a different character description of Luna than the English one and mentions the world's name for the first time:

Good find. That's damn interesting.

DeSolos

This is pretty old, and the German translation may be a poor direct translation of the Japanese version of the description. There is no mention of Eos in the Japanese or any other version of that text. Also Kannagi is the Japanese word for Oracle, pointing to the probability that it's a literal translation. It is very unlikely that the person translating the website text for German had any insight the English, Spanish, French, and Italian pages didn't.

LPride

Banned
Didn't people mellow out about this once they found out from the demo that
Cidney/Cindy isn't actually Cid, but her dad is?

I havent really been following along with 15 updates lately, but even if shes not the offical Cid, if shes acting in that capcity she should have a Ciddish name. Cids nephew in 5 was Mid, after all!

Is 15 supposed to still be connected with the Fabula nova Crystallis universe? I thought all former ties with that universe were severed when Versus became its own game but Ive heard some rumblings about how 13 and 15 are still connected

Samimista

"Since her childhood Lunafreya is a Kannagi, an oracle which in dialogue with the gods preserves the world Eos from the darkness. She is descended from the province of Tenebrae standing under Niflheim's occupation and enjoys high regard. In spite of or maybe because of her responsible job she, even today, still wistfully remembers the time back then which she spent as a child with Noctis."

Thanks for sharing the recent information with us. :)

It's finally nice to know what XV's world is called. Eos seems very fitting given what we know so far.

DeSolos

Is 15 supposed to still be connected with the Fabula nova Crystallis universe? I thought all former ties with that universe were severed when Versus became its own game but Ive heard some rumblings about how 13 and 15 are still connected

To be clear, there were no ties to XIII, but there were ties to Fabula Nova Crystallis. Fabula Nova Crystallis was the name for a mythology they would use as the basis for several games.(think of it like a made up Greek mythology) The games made with the mythology were as related as God of War is related to 300.

In the case of Versus XIII they used some of the proper nouns of the mythos, and at least one of the gods.

Why did they do this? To sell many games under one brand.(easier to market right? no confusion at all right?Them all having Final Fantasy in the title wasn't enough right?)

That was stupid, so after Nomura left the project they rewrote the lore from scratch to be based around a Christian/Japanese mythology instead of their Greekish one. All proper nouns associated with the prior lore are gone. In the end that's all they were anyway, proper nouns to throw around in cutscenes and flavor text.

Ray Down

Banned
I havent really been following along with 15 updates lately, but even if shes not the offical Cid, if shes acting in that capcity she should have a Ciddish name. Cids nephew in 5 was Mid, after all!

She does have a Cid name in japan with Cidny, hell I wouldn't be surprised if there another Cid besides the dad and Cidny around.

In the first 15 trailer at E3, it did have the FNC in the trailer I think over time SE decided to move away from it after the reception and how the mythos was poorly executed in nearly every game. Rumors are 15 has no mention of any FNC which is a good thing imo.

Bousf

So Eos is the name of the world? Sounds cool enough.

I am secretly hoping for radio silence until March but I feel like they'll somehow say or show something before that. Looking right at Jump Festa/Comic Fiesta.

artsi

This is pretty old, and the German translation may be a poor direct translation of the Japanese version of the description. There is no mention of Eos in the Japanese or any other version of that text. Also Kannagi is the Japanese word for Oracle, pointing to the probability that it's a literal translation. It is very unlikely that the person translating the website text for German had any insight the English, Spanish, French, and Italian pages didn't.

You're most probably right and it's a mistake, or nothing significant.
But the Eos comes from somewhere and I wouldn't say it's impossible for the localization people to know some yet unheard stuff about the world/script and slip up.

So, true or not, we can't know yet.

Koozek

So Eos is the name of the world? Sounds cool enough.

I am secretly hoping for radio silence until March but I feel like they'll somehow say or show something before that. Looking right at Jump Festa/Comic Fiesta.

Well, they said they would talk about the villain for the first time in the next ATR at the end of the year. Guess it's Comic Fiesta this time and not Jump Festa. FFVIIR is at JF apparently.

Sulik2

When a game is feature complete it means its a beta. Screw all these companies and their early access "betas" that are actually demo destroying the mean of the word beta.

Top Bottom