• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Final Fantasy have the most negative fanbase out there?

SOLDIER

I've spent my share of shitting on Square Enix on their mishandling of the Final Fantasy series for the past decade, but I'm also willing to give credit where credit is due: while they haven't completely turned things around, their last batch of releases have gone a long way to bringing the franchise back to its former glory. FFXV, World of Final Fantasy, FFXIV 2.0 and so on may not have reached the top tier status of their most beloved past titles, but it's a far bigger push towards that goal than they've taken in forever. The future looks very promising as well, including the FFVII Remake, FFXIV Stormblood, Dissidia, and an earnest push to further update FFXV with content and community-suggested fixes. There's also their push towards more non-FF releases like Kingdom Hearts III, Nier Automata, Hitman, Tomb Raider, and even Avengers. They're doing it, no doubt.

So why is it nearly every single announcement, update, and quote is met with wave after wave of snarky, negative comments? It seems like there are people out there who have to consistently post in every single thread just how much they hate the shit out of FFXV, even when it's unrelated to discussion of the game itself (such as its sales figures). There is also misplaced anger over trivial things like the latest carnival event, which is a free and optional event that has no bearing on the main game itself.

There are also the constant comments how their next projects will take until 2020 or whatever exagerrated estimate you think sounds clever. Do I want the FFVII Remake to be out sooner rather than later? Of course I fucking do. But guess what: large scale RPGs take more than 2 years to make. I haven't seen people complain nearly as much over Persona 5 (which changed its release date no fewer than three times since 2014) or Mass Effect Andromeda (which didn't even bother to show any real-time gameplay until just recently) or any Blizzard game ever. But there seems to be a particular venemous conceit toward anything and everything to do with Final Fantasy, where people will argue over the most pettiest of things as well as routinely shit on every director or developer every time they make even the smallest of comments.

At a certain point it feels like the negativity has spiraled past typical fanboy rage. There's constructive criticism and there's just plain spoiled entitlement.

Absolutely.

I think every single game in the series is special, creative and innovative.

It is a special series.

Hate the fans especially who pretend their opinion is law. You always get them.

Lol, no. Threads like this one (or the "will FF save JRPGs") show that some FF fans think FF is the center of the universe, but it isn't.

J-Spot

Negativity is pretty prevalent among gamers regardless, but for most negative fanbase I'd give the crown to Fallout which cannot be mentioned without several people posting an essay length diatribe.

butman

It's because every game after IX is a mess. Just like Resident Evil after 4 and Metal Gear after 3.

Zafir

No.

I think arguing over who has the worst fanbase is silly. Some people are more passionate than others, it doesn't matter the subject of which they focus that on.

SOLDIER

Imagine having to interact with them during the actual game and you have a MOBA, so no.

Ironically I've had the most civil interactions with people during FFXIV.

It helps that we tend to make it a rule not to talk about FF games within the FF MMO.

Strings

Err, they're plenty positive when good things happen? This is a pretty nothing question.

There's a ton of love for FFXIV, World of FF (from the people who actually played it I suppose), etc.

But it's super hard to be nice about stuff like FF Explorers, a ton of the mobile efforts, Arianna Grande integration, yada yada.

Cloukyo

Banned
18 years straight: WHERE'S MY FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE!!! REEEEE

After remake announcement: THIS IS SHIT SQUARE IS GOING TO RUIN IT, WHY DON'T THEY LEAVE IT ALONE?

REEEE

kromeo

I'd say it has a high proportion of people who claim to be fans of the series but don't seem to actually like any of the games

Cloud7

I've had a much worse time with Persona fans hating on Final Fantasy than FF fans hating on their own series.

Ferr986

As usual, the problem is not the fanbase per se but the fanboys inside it. I don't think it's as diferent as other fanbases, I guess there's more rabid fanboys because it's an old series.

Ironically I've had the most civil interactions with people during FFXIV.

It helps that we tend to make it a rule not to talk about FF games within the FF MMO.

There's a fair share of toxicity in XIV, both in game and especially in the Official forum (god they are terrible, basically a reverse situation on XV).
Anyways, XIV , with being an MMO, makes it easier to stick with your friends.

Disclaimer: I don't play Final Fantasy, but I am a Nintendo fan.

What I think makes people so angry is the feeling that the brand they love isn't making games they want to play anymore. If you grew up playing Final Fantasy, but feel the series started to fall apart after X or XII or XIII, you probably had a lot riding on the success and appeal of Final Fantasy XV. FFXV either didn't live up to people's lofty expectations or it has confirmed for disenfranchised players that the series doesn't appeal to them like it used to. Both are disappointing.

This is a tough thing to accept when you have been a fan of something for decades. It's very easy to feel like SE is repeatedly failing to take what you really want into account, just like Nintendo has done for many lifelong fans.

The only thing that fixes is this a grand return to form. Every time fans are disappointed, the possibility of that return to form seems less and less likely. It's hard to make peace with that.

Whats worse, overly negative fans of a game series or blind fanboyism of a game series?

I tend to actually get more annoyed with the latter

Corpekata

Banned
I imagine you just being kind of uhhhh a big fan exposes you more to the negative side than other series that you aren't as invested in.

SOLDIER

No.

I think arguing over who has the worst fanbase is silly. Some people are more passionate than others, it doesn't matter the subject of which they focus that on.

Constantly posting "frame pacing", "lol 2020 release" and "Aerith vs Aeris" doesn't qualify as "passionate", it's memetic.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
No, they're fans of a series that is being greatly mishandled by its developer

And they deserve the constant negativity until their products reach pre PS3 quality. Theyve showed sparks of this in games outside of Final Fantasy, but thats not all the base wants.

Amirnol

The ones on this forum are particularly tiring. By the end the day, this thread will be 20 pages long and the discussion will turn to FFXV hate. Tiring and predictable and no real discussion to be had. Oh well...

Crosseyes

Banned
They're not bad, just polarized. All of the games are so different that it's quite common for any one of the series to be trash to one and a favorite of all time to another.

I'll defend and attack people over 8 til my dying breath for how much that game means to me and my wife.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This thread is somehow even worse than *insert your favorite Final Fantasy*

I actually think they're all pretty cool, although XIII is the only one I've played to completion.

Mediking

I've had a much worse time with Persona fans hating on Final Fantasy than FF fans hating on their own series.

Um? I know you haven't seen that nonsense on GAF. We ALL want JRPGs to succeed.

Heck, check the tapes. I was in the FFXV GAF HYPE CREW before FFXV'S release. Lol

Zafir

Constantly posting "frame pacing", "lol 2020 release" and "Aerith vs Aeris" doesn't qualify as "passionate", it's memetic.

How does insulting them solve anything?

As for frame pacing, that's an actual issue with some games. If it doesn't bother you then lucky you!

kennyamr

You will find different kinds of opinions and different kinds of fans for every series.

Not because some people express negative feelings towards Final Fantasy means that the whole fanbase is negative, otherwise FFXV wouldn't have sold as much as it did.

Some people love to talk, most don't, at least on forums/internet.

Now, if you are trying to make people talk in a certain way on the internet, you will fail.
Just enjoy the games and post positive comments in order to support the games you like.

That's all, just because most people on some forum don't like the game you like, you shouldn't imply that the other millions of people who buy Final Fantasy games are all negative like that.

Everyone will have different opinions, wherever you go, so you can do 2 things.

Either just deal with it and try to be constructive and positive every time you comment about Final Fantasy, or just go to another forum with tastes closer to yours.

Top Bottom