• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Final Fantasy have the most negative fanbase out there?

Rad-

I'll give them credit when they start making good games again (talking about singleplayer FFs here). I don't see the point in praising mediocrity.

The negativity around the franchise and its developer stems from Square-Enix's inability to engage its fan base. Square as a company seemed oblivious to the Final Fantasy 7 troll in '14 (although I think Hashimoto was having a good time!). Likewise, all the hype and build up for the 30th anniversary event resulted in almost nothing substantial. While the company's output may be on the turn around, they continue to drop the ball when it comes to having PR capitalize on that momentum.

I suspect part of that disconnect comes from the fact that Square is a company run in Japan with executives who don't necessarily have their finger on the pulse of their audience. You wonder why companies like Blizzard don't get the same scrutiny or backlash SE does, but the answer seems obvious: Blizzard knows how to communicate and engage with their fan base in a way Square-Enix never has.

I wish Square-Enix had something even as competent as Nintendo of America with a Reggie-like face to the company in the US and a group like Nintendo Treehouse. I'm shocked other Japanese companies haven't emulated things like Nintendo Directs.

Nasbin

Divided, yes. But I think Street Fighter has the most negative fan base.

This is a good nomination. I think people forgot because SF4 brought in so many new people with no longing for previous games in the series that it got drowned out somewhat, but SF has long had one of the most negative communities in gaming. Everyone loves the game they first got really good at, respects the older games, and hates the newer games.

Meowster

People aren't lying when they talk about Resident Evil though.

I don't think it is as bad as Final Fantasy (since Final Fantasy has so much more mainline games) but there are huge splits within that series with the few mainline games out there. It's insane. I've enjoyed my time with all of them, much like Final Fantasy, so it can be a struggle too.

wvnative

Final Fantasy is my favorite game series ever. Final Fantasy fans are my least favorite thing about the series.

This perfectly sums up my feelings.

I'm thrilled with most recent games and excited for all of what's on the way.

I only wish I could enjoy my favorite franchise with others, but no, gotta be a cesspool of whiney ass brats.

psyfi

Banned
Being a part of the Halo community after Reach and Halo 4 was rough. The series took such a steep nosedive and everyone was REAL bitter. It's gotten better now because Halo 5 is amazing, but the fanbase has shriveled in size.

Cryoteck

I think most of the friction between Final Fantasy fans is mostly due to the stand alone nature of each title. There are FFs that you will like and ones that you won't. It all boils down to fans arguing with other fans liking one that another fan dislikes rather than simply being fine with the understanding that not every FF will satisfy them. Combining that with the longer development times it raises the emotional aspect of each release which makes the chances of discussion turning toxic all the more likely.

I think due to how every game is different, things will always be divided. Early fans weren't too happy with the direction VII took, VII fans were not expecting the huge shift that VIII gave them, and VII and VIII fans weren't pleased with IX being a total tonal shift. With X, XIII, and XV, you had people new to the franchise with their opinions on why "this is the best" and old fans say "this is the worst." Add in the mmos, and you have one of the most diverse (and divisive) fan bases in gaming.
be real though, the games from 1-9 are not this giant departure from each other that people like to claim. Even 10 only had the loss of the world map, other than that it feels very familiar. It wasn't until XI that the games diverged down a very different path, until you reach XV that has really nothing in common with the older games other than the summons names and chocobos

kromeo

You want every FF game to be FFVI, FFVII and FFIX good and that's hard

There's something missing from that line

37b0d817aa2e1be5b19f028a62f2c47b.gif

Meowster

The negativity around the franchise and its developer stems from Square-Enix's inability to engage its fan base. Square as a company seemed oblivious to the Final Fantasy 7 troll in '14 (although I think Hashimoto was having a good time!). Likewise, all the hype and build up for the 30th anniversary event resulted in almost nothing substantial. While the company's output may be on the turn around, they continue to drop the ball when it comes to having PR capitalize on that momentum.

I suspect part of that disconnect comes from the fact that Square is a company run in Japan with executives who don't necessarily have their finger on the pulse of their audience. You wonder why companies like Blizzard don't get the same scrutiny or backlash SE does, but the answer seems obvious: Blizzard knows how to communicate and engage with their fan base in a way Square-Enix never has.

I wish Square-Enix had something even as competent as Nintendo of America with a Reggie-like face to the company in the US and a group like Nintendo Treehouse. I'm shocked other Japanese companies haven't emulated things like Nintendo Directs.
I think they are doing better with this. Yoshi-P actively engages with his audience for the better of his saga and you really feel like you are connected to that world. Tabata, for all his issues, is constantly curious about feedback and regularly tries to correct any issues (even working on a game after it was released to please the fans of the game). I hope the rest of the company is working towards this direction. Nomura is so elusive and secretive and Toriyama is self-indulgent. They need a figurehead like Sakaguchi to resonate with the fans but I think Yoshi-P and Tabata are doing a good job with that.

Manu

It's because every game after IX is a mess. Just like Resident Evil after 4 and Metal Gear after 3.

But see, this is the kind of blanket statement that makes fighting happen in the first place.

Say what you want about RE5, but it's not "a mess." The game had a vision and a tone that it executed perfectly. It was also a really polished game that improved on certain aspects of its predecessor.

Calling RE5 "shit" it's doing it a disservice. It's a really good game that's often given shit for not being Resident Evil enough on some people's arbitrary scale of what RE is supposed to be.

Every game being different and Square Enix dropping the ball with mainline development after the successful Final Fantasy XI

3 games in a row where the producer/director left the project. Jesus

DMONKUMA

I thought it was league? The amount of times I've seen some angry banter and people raging in my college is a lot.

Zebetite

Banned
I see you've spent precisely zero minutes embedded with nearly any other fan base on the internet.

Lately Fire Emblem fans have been getting my goat. They are several magnitudes worse than Final Fantasy fans.

Roubjon

But see, this is the kind of blanket statement that makes fighting happen in the first place.

Say what you want about RE5, but it's not "a mess." The game had a vision and a tone that it executed perfectly. It was also a really polished game that improved on certain aspects of its predecessor.

Calling RE5 "shit" it's doing it a disservice. It's a really good game that's often given shit for not being Resident Evil enough on some people's arbitrary scale of what RE is supposed to be.

You are 100% correct, but no matter how many times you say that there will be people who aren't reasonable. And that's why people say the dumbest shit whenever discussing long running franchises like Final Fantasy or Metal Gear or Resident Evil.

Zakalwe

Banned
Final Fantasy is my favorite game series ever. Final Fantasy fans are my least favorite thing about the series.

Absolutely.

I think every single game in the series is special, creative and innovative.

It is a special series.

Hate the fans especially who pretend their opinion is law. You always get them.

Yeah most of the big ones do.

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil etc.

Yes, they're one of the most miserable fanbases I have had the displeasure of knowing.

Square Enix destrooyed one of the very best game franchises in the world. So why should the fanbase be positive?

I don't have to.

I still completely do.

Definitely.

You're all extremely sheltered if you think FF has the most negative fan base. You must literally only dwell in FF threads.

royox

OP, have you ever played any online game?

Go play FF14. Then go play *any* other MMO. Come back and tell us how toxic the FF fan base is.

You don't know what pure rage is till you play a Lalafell and you have a "X person Pats you" on the chat every 10 seconds.

I'm supposed to be edgy and badass not CUTE god dammit

Griss

What? Look at the reaction of FF fans to XV. It was a terrible game and they received it rapturously. If anything they're too soft, too positive.

For a really negative fanbase, look at metroid. Nintendo revealed Fed Force and the fans went on a long and sustained campaign to have it cancelled (not changed, cancelled), bombed dislikes on any social media marketing for the game, and then (and this is the important and rare part) steadfastly refused to buy it, killing it as a product. The entire way they let everyone know how shit the series has become.

Now THAT'S negative.

(Considering what Nintendo has done with Metroid it's completely warranted imo)

Final Fantasy fans bickering over which game is the best or worst is nowhere near the same league.

ZenTzen

Yes, especially the whole "give me, whaaaaa, what do you mean youcant give it to me yet" attitude, and extreme levels of hyperbole, 2 things that i've seen in these few days, with the 30th annyversary

The only negative thing about the fanbase are the people who think FF7 is one of the best games ever made what is not the case.

Its not even the best FF game.

Personally, I think the series gets too much praise. Its been going downhill for years, and seems to survive mostly on the hopes and dreams of fans that the next instalment will be a return to glory. The fact that everyone pines for a remake of a 20 year old game says the series peaked a long long time ago.

You don't know what pure rage is till you play a Lalafell and you have a "X person Pats you" on the chat every 10 seconds.

I'm supposed to be edgy and badass not CUTE god dammit

Oh, wook at the wittle Dark Knight, how scary! Yes you are! Yes you are! Grrrrrrrrrr!

Absolutely.

I think every single game in the series is special, creative and innovative.

It is a special series.

Hate the fans especially who pretend their opinion is law. You always get them.

Yup, I appreciate, or at least try to, each entry for what it is. Though you will always have "fans" who will complain about the entries that don't line up with their tastes.

fallingdove

Nah - there are communities that are far more toxic. Halo and Team Fortress for starters.

I actually think that non-Final Fantasy fans actually drive a lot of the negativity. Final Fantasy, while it is one of the most popular and well known JRPG series - it still has a ton of niche elements to its story structure and gameplay.

I hear a lot more whine and negativity from non-final fantasy fans than I do gamers who have actually played and enjoy a number of entries in the series.

Javier

I don't know how it compares to other franchises mentioned here but the Fire Emblem fanbase has gotten pretty terrible since Awakening.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Do moba fans hate the games or mostly just hate each other?

Deep inside we all hate ourselves for our self destructive addiction.
JK, honestly mobas have helped me actually improve as a person mentally and be at peace with things you have no control over while doubling down on things you can control.

Top Bottom