• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went to a GameStop and bought used copies of Gears of War 1 and 2

Each game was $7.95. They come in pretty crummy cases with some dumb green recycled stickers. But they were pretty cheap. If I were to buy them new (going by amazon.ca since Ebgames doesn't sell new copies currently), they would cost more than double that.

Do you know what I can do with these two games? I can play them. I can lend them to a friend. I can sell them. I can trade them back in. I can give them away to someone for free.

HSb7m9z.jpg

wQexaSq.jpg

Now let's look at Xbox.com

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d5
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53082d

These games are how old again? 7 and 5? And they cost $29.99 each on Microsoft's digital distribution platform. What can I do with this copy of the game? Play it. And that's it. I guess I could give my account details to a friend or family but that's not really lending it.

I don't see any alternative here to get the games any cheaper (Going to ebay, or kjiji is still buying used and I would get it even cheaper there, probably with a bunch of other games too). Microsoft has every chance to sell these games for as cheap as possible. But guess what, they don't.

So why does anyone even believe that completely eliminating the ability to resell or trade in games will lead into console manufacturers then selling games for cheap when they can already do that?

The funny thing is the retail physical copies, new, sell for $19.99 each with a ton of DLC. Why are digital prices so out of line with reality?

GulAtiCa

Man, feels so long ago when Gears came out. Before I had a 360, I watched one of my roommates beat the Ram battle at end.

Anyways, yeah. I don't trust Microsoft to have good prices with this anti-used policy of their.

That's only because the new encoded used game process hasn't begun yet. When it does I am confident prices will drop considerably.

I'm sorry, I almost got through that without laughing.

I have all Gears games, but recently played Gears 1 and god it looks ugly ! and i can't believe how Marcus is an annoying character, he really does sound like a douche.

My favorite is Judgement, it's the best to me. I love the art style more than any other Gears games and the gameplay is faster and more responsive.

And enjoy buying used, you'll miss next gen apparently.

Yeah, I'd be a lot more willing to swallow Microsofts bullshit DRM if the prices were identical to those on Steam, including the Steam sales. As it is, I can already envision a future where games will never drop below $30. ugh.

Bedlam

Yup. A few days ago I was in the mood for some Dirt 1 since I think it's still the best in the series. Looked it up on the XBL store, laughed at 19.99€ price, turned off my 360.

You also have 30 days to return them. Just saying. Personally I own the dual pack as well as a DD of Gears 1 from when I rented the 4 Gears game from Blockbuster.

DJ_Lae

I was at ebgames (Canada) a week ago and they all had "recycled" on them instead of the "used" stickers.

They did that last year, or maybe even the year before at this point, I can't remember exactly.

Really bizarre and misguided attempt at tapping into peoples inner hippie. Or something.

Early promo materials made it sound like the average person just threw their goddamn games in the trash, because they wanted you to bring them into EB Games to recycle them instead.

I still think it sounds stupid. They're used games.

liquidtmd

Banned
Don't worry, when MS enforce their new blocked used policy they will totally lower the digital pric...DAMMIT BEATEN LIKE A DOGS JAW ON CALLODOODY

RobbieNick

Each game was $7.95. They come in pretty crummy cases with some dumb green recycled stickers. But they were pretty cheap. If I were to buy them new (going by amazon.ca since Ebgames doesn't sell new copies currently), they would cost more than double that.

Do you know what I can do with these two games? I can play them. I can lend them to a friend. I can sell them. I can trade them back in. I can give them away to someone for free.

Now let's look at Xbox.com

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d5
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53082d

These games are how old again? 7 and 5? And they cost $29.99 each on Microsoft's digital distribution platform. What can I do with this copy of the game? Play it. And that's it. I guess I could give my account details to a friend or family but that's not really lending it.

I don't see any alternative here to get the games any cheaper (Going to ebay, or kjiji is still buying used and I would get it even cheaper there, probably with a bunch of other games too). Microsoft has every chance to sell these games for as cheap as possible. But guess what, they don't.

So why does anyone even believe that completely eliminating the ability to resell or trade in games will lead into console manufacturers then selling games for cheap when they can already do that?

That must be Canadian because EBGames no longer exists here and we don't have green price tags.

EDIT: Definitely Canadian. G.O.W. a and 2 here costs $5 each used.

How are the discs? I went to buy Far Cry Instincts Predator today but the two copies Game had were scratched to all hell.

I'll never understand what the hell people do with their discs.

Digital distribution will drive prices down.

Remember when we believed that?

It did, on PC. Steam, GOG, GMG, etc all drove prices down. Won't happen on consoles though.

Top Bottom