• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went to a GameStop and bought used copies of Gears of War 1 and 2

Acorn

Digital distribution will drive prices down.

Remember when we believed that?

I never did.

/smug face

Nah but seriously these companies never miss a chance to rip your wallet to pieces. No manufacturing costs and minimal distribution costs? Well that just provides bigger margins.

What about the people who goes traveling with their consoles? I have friends who owns a cabin up in the mountains and if we go up there, we tend to bring consoles to play. And then there are those who hook up their automobiles with consoles. There are tons of other scenarios and circumstances. Microsoft just basically shat on tons of people.

"Who would want to live there?"
#dealwithit

That's the scary thing.
I wonder how bad the prices are going to be for games on xbone. I mean lets say two years from now, how much will COD : Ghost cost. Right now the price would drop to about $20 after 2 years, but without the used game market they might only drop it to $45.

The days of waiting a year after release to buy games at 50-75% off will be over with the xbone. With xbone, after a year they might drop $10 at the most and even shity games will remain in the high $40 range after a year.

I see a lot of "but MS won't lower digital prices!", but wasn't it not long ago when they had a great sale on games on demand? I picked up some great deals. It just shows that they can.

PS: Alan Wake full game is $5 on Live right now... Those monsters...
Once in a blue moon sales isnt really an answer

That's the scary thing.
I wonder how bad the prices are going to be for games on xbone. I mean lets say two years from now, how much will COD : Ghost cost. Right now the price would drop to about $20 after 2 years, but without the used game market they might only drop it to $45.

The days of waiting a year after release to buy games at 50-75% off will be over with the xbone. With xbone, after a year they might drop $10 at the most and even shity games will remain in the high $40 range after a year.

Everyone wants to be Nintendo... immune to all price drops. *shakes fist*

Beren

I have the idea that when i use my monies to buy something then that something belongs to me and i can do whatever i like with it. This is why i disagree with the used games thingy and it scares me and makes me feel bad :(

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder what percentage of 29.99 credit card purchases of digital copies of Gears of War are ultimately discharged in bankruptcy.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The funny thing is the retail physical copies, new, sell for $19.99 each with a ton of DLC. Why are digital prices so out of line with reality?

There is no competition they are the only digital store. Retail has store competing against each other. Also they need to clear out stock for new product so cut prices never have to clear stock on a digital game. MS and Sony really blew it this generation they want DD so bad but stupidity and greed kept it from catching on. They are not even matching retail pricing. Pay more and have less rights is stupid. They should price match the average retail at a minimum and even off 15%-20% off of that. They are cutting out the middle man and saving on shipping and packaging. And preventing a dreaded used sale in the future. Greedy corps are going to greed I guess.

People like the OP are what's wrong with the gaming industry. Dirty thieves who just want a free ride and not LEGALLY pay for games.

I can't wait until Microsoft uses kinect to force people like you to not steal anymore!

/end_sarcasm

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Slightly off topic, but just realized, will GS not be able to sell gutted games now? I know they let employees "evaluate" new gutted games for a period of days and then return them to the store and sell them like new, from several friends who worked there in the past. With the Xbone's special DRM what reason does GS have to gut games at all?

eastmen

Banned
Slightly off topic, but just realized, will GS not be able to sell gutted games now? I know they let employees "evaluate" new gutted games for a period of days and then return them to the store and sell them like new, from several friends who worked there in the past. With the Xbone's special DRM what reason does GS have to gut games at all?

that hasn't been true in years.

Gamestop guts games to put them up on the shelf so if someone steals them they get an empty case.

The funny thing is the retail physical copies, new, sell for $19.99 each with a ton of DLC. Why are digital prices so out of line with reality?

yes! why?

if anything they would be cheaper than a real physical copy, but they are not for some reason and this is the problem.

We can´t let MS get away with this new scheme, they are greedy fucking assholes in my book and if you buy this new ONE, you love getting scammed and taken advantage of.

Alchemy

It did on steam.

Open platform (lots of ways to buy digital goods on PC) versus closed one. You're only going to be buying from the Microsoft store on the Xbox One, gives them much greater control over pricing. Also we still $60 releases all the time on Steam, and some titles simply refuse to go down to reasonable prices years after release (CoD games for example).

kitch9

Banned
And now when Epic goes under it will be your fault.

Developers are being short sighted with this shit. The dude has played one of their games now and if he enjoys it he will be more hyped for their games in future, maybe even excited enough to buy it day one next time instead of waiting for the bargain bin.

The probably wouldn't have happened at the DD price.

Snubbers

yes! why?

if anything they would be cheaper than a real physical copy, but they are not for some reason and this is the problem.

Think about it for a moment, it's obvious...

The question to be asked is, what would happen if the big day 3 manufacturers didn't charge full of rrp for the DD and instead undercut retailers by 20 percent? (and all of them made games available for DD day and 1)

The most immediate fact is that retail sales would drop by a sizeable margin, and more and more retailers would either go under, or in the case of supermarkets, stop stocking them.

Since no money is made on selling consoles, other then as a vehicle to sell people games, then no where would stock the console..

So all console sales would have to move online, and the games market would shrink to only those that can download a bluray sized game.

So instead of that, the manufacturers keep DD prices high, and mainly don't offer day 1 downloads to keep retail going..

MS's DRM and used game policy is likely tailored around a similar model, they won't allow private sales of games, they will require the use of retail deactivation so that although retail get less per secondhand game, they should get more units through the door since retail deactivation will be less prevalent.

I'm not defending MS on this, but people need to understand that retail is important in this whole thing.. Until the Internet availability and bandwidth catch up that is.

OP hits the nail right on the head.

Short of something like the cure for cancer somehow being a latent effect of what they're doing, there's just absolutely no way MS can spin their insane proposal as anywhere near being remotely acceptable for me.

You can get the Triple pack new for $25.

Edit Wait, you are in Canada. $30 up here.
I realize I could have gotten the triple pack, but it was kind of pointless since its more expensive, would undermine my point, I dont have gold, and my 360 cant connect online to download the DLC.

Microsoft must really hate me.

Eh, whatever. I just received a 20% off coupon towards pre-owned games from Gamestop. I'll swing by with Bioshock Infinite, get store credit, and see what more I can get with the 20% off coupon.

A little off topic, but im like done a chapter of Gears 1 and I forgot how good it was. Really does hold up mechanically and active reload is still a fun minigame. It even looks nice still nice, aside from faces.

Ok here is why this is dumb.

physical NEW games do go down in price .. bestbuy.. target.. walmart.. toys r us.. all have massive sales on old new games all the time.

its already been confirmed that there will be a ways to trade in games to stores. Will the prices go down over time? We don't know. No one but MS and the Publishers know.

needless to say that the situation in op of buying 2 old games at very low prices will not go away.

GameStop / eBay / CL are pretty much the only way the entire game library of a console stays available. The big retailers keep new releases and a a dozen or two best sellers at most.

If you want to buy an Xbone game from the beginning of the generation at the end of the generation, you probably won't be able to.

GameStop / eBay / CL are pretty much the only way the entire game library of a console stays available. The big retailers keep new releases and a a dozen or two best sellers at most.

If you want to buy an Xbone game from the beginning of the generation at the end of the generation, you probably won't be able to.

This is one of the more salient downsides of no used games and I wish the people defending the practice understood how damaging this will be to the longevity of the medium. Unlike books and movies where reprints are common and titles that are even decades-old can still be found on shelves, video games have a tremendously short shelf life. This industry is terribly front-loaded, and if a game has a limited print run and isn't popular enough to warrant a Greatest Hits release later, it's basically gone from shelves after six months. Used copies are then literally the only means to procure such titles. So if I want to play an older discontinued game and I'm willing to pay for it, what am I supposed to do? Especially for people who get a console late into its life cycle (yes, not everyone is a day-1 early adopter), and most of the good titles from the first few years are long gone, should they just accept that they'll never be able to play them?

There's some expectation that XB1's online store will solve this by having all games available to purchase digitally, but let's be realistic about the kind of pricing we can expect from MS (Games on Demand anybody?), and we've already seen games this gen disappear from PSN and XBL because of licensing issues or technical issues, so why should we have faith in them to do any better next gen?

Top Bottom