• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just went to a GameStop and bought used copies of Gears of War 1 and 2

Congratulations you just bankrupted Epic and Microsoft and directly caused the death of an entire industry. I hope you're happy.

Each game was $7.95. They come in pretty crummy cases with some dumb green recycled stickers. But they were pretty cheap. If I were to buy them new (going by amazon.ca since Ebgames doesn't sell new copies currently), they would cost more than double that.

Do you know what I can do with these two games? I can play them. I can lend them to a friend. I can sell them. I can trade them back in. I can give them away to someone for free.

Now let's look at Xbox.com

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d5
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53082d

These games are how old again? 7 and 5? And they cost $29.99 each on Microsoft's digital distribution platform. What can I do with this copy of the game? Play it. And that's it. I guess I could give my account details to a friend or family but that's not really lending it.

I don't see any alternative here to get the games any cheaper (Going to ebay, or kjiji is still buying used and I would get it even cheaper there, probably with a bunch of other games too). Microsoft has every chance to sell these games for as cheap as possible. But guess what, they don't.

So why does anyone even believe that completely eliminating the ability to resell or trade in games will lead into console manufacturers then selling games for cheap when they can already do that?

The biggest artocity here is that you paid $7.85 each

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=S360GGEARS001

9 bucks US for both.

Yep. You know what else you did by going into a retailer and buying those games? You created jobs and wealth and a healthier economy. Digital distribution will do nothing but hurt low level employees.

Don't ever buy anything from the marketplace. It's common knowledge that the place is a rip off. I'm honestly surprised the games in the OP are as cheap as they are.

People buy stuff from the Marketplace? I got El Shaddai when it was on sale for like 3 bucks but I think that's it. I also don't buy retail titles from Nintendo's eShop for 3DS or WiiU.

xJavonta

Banned
I'd rather buy a game on DD than physical to be honest.

I've purchased more PC games than I have 360 and PS3 combined and I'm willing to bet a lot of other Steam users have too.

unbias

I've purchased more PC games than I have 360 and PS3 combined and I'm willing to bet a lot of other Steam users have too.

I have poop ton of games on steam, but I wouldnt purchase games through xbox live if I had too, same with sony. If they dont even respect xbox live/psn arcade games, fuck them.

Marcel

Steam has ridiculous sales which makes up for the lack of real ownership. And let's face it, you know what you're getting into with regards to digital media when you go the DD route. Microsoft telling me I need their permission to use a physical disc I bought, telling me where to sell it, and how I can use it? No thanks.

Because of the GoW Judgement copies out there coming with gears 1 codes, ebay in the UK had quite a few for cheap and still do, so even though I own it on disc I bought the GoD version for £3

I do agree though that GoD prices for some games are stupid, while the prices for others seem reasonable, like all first party software is OP.

Steam has ridiculous sales which makes up for the lack of real ownership. And let's face it, you know what you're getting into with regards to digital media when you go the DD route. Microsoft telling me I need their permission to use a physical disc I bought, telling me where to sell it, and how I can use it? No thanks.

Heh, MS is basically testing people's affinity for discs, versus their affinity for the games that are on them (we're in the awkward middle ground of digital distribution with consoles, PCs and phones have already moved past this). As you said, the cheap Steam prices make people more comfortable with the lack of physical discs, which implies that people don't really have a problem with DRM in and of itself (since the game itself can still work fine). There's just a problem if there are no other benefits. Which makes sense to me.

Heh, MS is basically testing people's affinity for discs, versus their affinity for the games that are on them (we're in the awkward middle ground of digital distribution with consoles, PCs and phones have already moved past this).

What they are really doing is making a download-only console, where if you don't have a great net connection (or if you have bandwidth caps) you download from a disc.

Amazon isn't going away. Games drop in price quicker on Amazon then Gamestop. Gamestop sells games for 45-55 typically when they are newer. What a waste. Why make them rich.

Mxrz

Stop supporting Piracy OP! Have you learned nothing from our stalwart and honorable games media?! WTF is wrong with you.

xJavonta

Banned

Well, to be fair I can't take a physical steamworks game and let my friend play it. It's really the same thing here.

jond76

Banned
I see a lot of "but MS won't lower digital prices!", but wasn't it not long ago when they had a great sale on games on demand? I picked up some great deals. It just shows that they can.

PS: Alan Wake full game is $5 on Live right now... Those monsters...

unbias

Well, to be fair I can't take a physical steamworks game and let my friend play it. It's really the same thing here.

No, the relative value of steam as a DD vs MS/Sony isnt even in the same ballpark. The only reason Steam can get away with what they get away with is because the relative value of what they offer vs the restrictions placed is far greater. Sony and MS have no such structure that shows that could be trusted w/o a second hand market.

No, the relative value of steam as a DD vs MS/Sony isnt even in the same ballpark. The only reason Steam can get away with what they get away with is because the relative value of what they offer vs the restrictions placed is far greater. Sony and MS have no such structure that shows that could be trusted w/o a second hand market.

It should also be noted that the existence of Steam doesn't make it any harder to pirate games on PC. The fact that Steam and the games it publishes are successful while competing against easily obtainable pirated versions should tell you something.

pixlexic

Banned
Ok here is why this is dumb.

physical NEW games do go down in price .. bestbuy.. target.. walmart.. toys r us.. all have massive sales on old new games all the time.

its already been confirmed that there will be a ways to trade in games to stores. Will the prices go down over time? We don't know. No one but MS and the Publishers know.

needless to say that the situation in op of buying 2 old games at very low prices will not go away.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
The funny thing is the retail physical copies, new, sell for $19.99 each with a ton of DLC. Why are digital prices so out of line with reality?
Get used to it. This is exactly their plan. Prices don't need to go low when you don't have competition.

For years people have hoped digital prices would be low and savings from fuel, shipping, packaging, storage would be passed onto consumers in some form. There is no proof this will ever happen. Besides Steam, but games still retail for $60 for AAA games at launch.

Sorry, but thinking DD would ever be financially good for consumers was a pipe dream. These are corporations we are dealing with. With retail diminished and second hand markets gone, why lower prices like that?

steveovig

You just literally stole the food from a game developer's child's mouth. You monster!

I know you're being sarcastic but I hate when Microsoft, EA, etc. say this. It's not like the devs are going to get paid more once the XBoner comes out. Just the publishers and the greedy people who run them.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What about the people who goes traveling with their consoles? I have friends who owns a cabin up in the mountains and if we go up there, we tend to bring consoles to play. And then there are those who hook up their automobiles with consoles. There are tons of other scenarios and circumstances. Microsoft just basically shat on tons of people.

unbias

physical NEW games do go down in price .. bestbuy.. target.. walmart.. toys r us.. all have massive sales on old new games all the time.

its already been confirmed that there will be a ways to trade in games to stores. Will the prices go down over time? We don't know. No one but MS and the Publishers know.

needless to say that the situation in op of buying 2 old games at very low prices will not go away.

I'm not sure what you are basing this off of. the relative availability of deep discounts and the consistent timing of deep discounts is a constant with steam. The deeps sales with MS and Sony are rare, and the retailers who decide to sell games at very reduced rates is just as rare, compared to steam. The differences in convenience, over all experience, and the consistent discounts available on steam vs the examples you used is night and day. Getting rid of the 2nd hand market, that for more then 2 decades has been relied on for demand of game products is so inherently ingrained in the foundation of console gaming, I'm not sure how anyone can think getting rid of the 2nd hand market is in anyways ready to done away with, with the big 3.

Darryl

Banned

game publishers have historically wanted to get $20 each for old hit titles. if gamestop is only allowed to undercut Microsoft's own new item pricing by $5 or whatever, that will be $15 used for this title - double what OP just bought them for new. the entire model is fucked up for the consumer, no other way to spin this shit

pixlexic

Banned
You guys act like they will never be any bargain bin sales and buy 1 get 1 free sales. There are plenty of other situations besides used games where you can get games for cheap.

Lets take a real look at used game sales now.
Gamestop makes a huge profit off used games. Its around 45% last report I read.

We already got word that MS will have a setup for stores to sell used games but a lot of you jump to "OMG PRICES WILL BE SO HIGH!".

Well for one we do not know that.

But also who is to say that Gamestop wont just say take a 30% profit instead of a 45% on XBOX one games though MS's network? That is still a large profit.

Gamestop is not playing with minute margins here.

Each game was $7.95. They come in pretty crummy cases with some dumb green recycled stickers. But they were pretty cheap. If I were to buy them new (going by amazon.ca since Ebgames doesn't sell new copies currently), they would cost more than double that.

Do you know what I can do with these two games? I can play them. I can lend them to a friend. I can sell them. I can trade them back in. I can give them away to someone for free.

Now let's look at Xbox.com

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307d5
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-CA/Product/Gears-of-War-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53082d

These games are how old again? 7 and 5? And they cost $29.99 each on Microsoft's digital distribution platform. What can I do with this copy of the game? Play it. And that's it. I guess I could give my account details to a friend or family but that's not really lending it.

I don't see any alternative here to get the games any cheaper (Going to ebay, or kjiji is still buying used and I would get it even cheaper there, probably with a bunch of other games too). Microsoft has every chance to sell these games for as cheap as possible. But guess what, they don't.

So why does anyone even believe that completely eliminating the ability to resell or trade in games will lead into console manufacturers then selling games for cheap when they can already do that?

You should of gotten the GEARS Triple PACK

unbias

You guys act like they will never be any bargain bin sales and buy 1 get 1 free sales. There are plenty of other situations besides used games where you can get games for cheap.

Lets take a real look at used game sales now.
Gamestop makes a huge profit off used games. Its around 45% last report I read.

We already got word that MS will have a setup for stores to sell used games but a lot of you jump to "OMG PRICES WILL BE SO HIGH!".

Well for one we do not know that.

But also who is to say that Gamestop wont just say take a 30% profit instead of a 45% on XBOX one games though MS's network? That is still a large profit.

Gamestop is not playing with minute margins here.

None of what you mentioned is even close to frequent enough to make up for the loss of an entire market.

Top Bottom