• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami ever fix the Silent Hill HD collection?

gdt

After playing PT I'm dying now to play some Silent Hill (never played a single one), and I think I read a post about how Konami fixed all the terrible shit that was fucked up with the HD versions. Is that true?

Persona7

Banned
No, they did not fix everything wrong with that piece of junk. Get SH2 and 3 on PS2 or PC. They knew it was fucked up well before the game even came out, they released a day one patch that changed NOTHING AT ALL.

Tomm Hulett even admitted he saw this trainwreck coming from a mile away and he was sorry a solution was not available on day one.

Anung

Un Rama
They improved the PS3 version from what I heard. I don't know if that's true though. I imagine they patched it due to it being free (unlike MS) but the 360 version hasn't been touched.

Mature

I know it's rough, but if you want to experience Silent Hill, the HD Collection simply isn't the way to do it.

ByakuyaEXT

Neo Member
Silent Hill 2 is okay still looks like a piece of crap without the fog
Silent Hill 3 is still the lagging mess which likes to freeze whenever its in the mood

360 Version never recieved the Patch and the problems are far worse

Z3M0G

I stayed far away from these... they could never fix all the problem with this collection, the biggest problems are FAR from only technical.

Watch this... it's long, and their humor is terrible, but it is an AMAZING watch for the critical dissection they perform on the collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

Persona7

Banned
Silent Hill 3 is still the lagging mess which likes to freeze whenever its in the Mond.

360 Version never recieved the Patch and the problems are far worse

The 360 version at launch did not have as many issues as the PS3 version at launch. I don't know how that happened but both versions had different bugs and glitches.

360 never got the latest patch, I think it is because of how the 360 patching works and the file limit that was imposed at that time or something along those lines.

Mature

How it runs isn't even the biggest problem about this collection, it's the huge artistic changes that were made that ruin or distort the atmosphere— the most important part of any SH game.
Fog.gif

Silky

Banned
HHAHAHhhHhhHhHhAAAAAAaaa

no they didn't. They half assed a patch on PS3 and never gave us the half assed 360 patch. Idiots.

HeelPower

It doesn't.

The art direction and locations look incredible and you notice a lot more details on the characters and the areas due to the improved textures and resolution.

Though obviously there is less fog in the HD version.

No, it's enormously fucked.

I played through the games for the first time via this collection, and the stuttering running/walking drove me fucking bananas.

I still powered through and absolutely loved the games, however.

The collection is based off unfinished code that was never supposed to be used, so patching it was like putting a band-aid on a massive head wound.

I was wondering the same thing a few days ago, but just decided to go ahead and buy it cause I don't have access to ps2 versions and don't have a suitable pc to run them either.

My only option is the hd collection really, so I'm not too bothered about it I guess.

ByakuyaEXT

Neo Member
It doesn't.

The art direction and locations look incredible and you notice a lot more details on the characters and the areas due to the improved textures and resolution.

Though obviously there is less fog in the HD version.

The entire boat scene is disgusting

Nemesis_

There are some very questionable omissions (on an artistic / creative level) that make it inferior, but I'd wager that if you don't know any better it wouldn't be too deterimental.

BUT

The games in their original forms are absolutely fantastic and perfectly honed with their presentation (both audio and visual). I'd recommend the originals over the HD remakes, but I acknowledge how hard it is to find the originals now so I wouldn't begrudge anyone for playing the HD remake.

There is a two hour review of the HD collection that is pretty exhaustive with why it's not really a good remaster, but I think this 15 minute video sums it up pretty well despite the shitty capture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPzeICO1ag

I think the new voices are awful too, but I can't remember if Konami ended up making them optional or not.

ByakuyaEXT

Neo Member
Silent Hill 2 you can choose if you want the wonderful Guy Cihi or Troy Baker

Silent Hill 3 you are forced to use the new ones :/

Nemesis_

Since ZoE came out in this thread what version of the HD collection for that is best?

I think post-patch both are pretty good, though there are still some slowdowns during one particular mission of ZOE2. But generally it's a much more competent port.

ZOE HD was worked on by High Voltage, who have a somewhat serviceable pedigree.

Silent Hill HD was worked on by Hijinx Studios, who had a large majority of their talent being brought up on only mobile/handheld games.

Konami really cheaped out with SH HD :(

Warewolf

How it runs isn't even the biggest problem about this collection, it's the huge artistic changes that were made that ruin or distort the atmosphere— the most important part of any SH game.
Fog.gif

WOOOOW.

I'm not the biggest Silent Hill guy, I loved the first one when it came out but have been largely staying away from the series ever since, this is the first time I've ever seen that.

That is FUCKING INSANE! What the hell happened? I know there was a lot being said about this release at launch but holy shit, why weren't people (figuratively) rioting in the streets? That is without a doubt the most egregious lack of attention I've seen in any kind of remaster or adaptation. Completely unacceptable.

Marcel

WOOOOW.

I'm not the biggest Silent Hill guy, I loved the first one when it came out but have been largely staying away from the series ever since, this is the first time I've ever seen that.

That is FUCKING INSANE! What the hell happened? I know there was a lot being said about this release at launch but holy shit, why weren't people (figuratively) rioting in the streets? That is without a doubt the most egregious lack of attention I've seen in any kind of remaster or adaptation. Completely unacceptable.

The hard working folks folks at Konami had no designated driver so they decided to do the HD collection right there at the bar.

bombshell

The collection is based off unfinished code that was never supposed to be used, so patching it was like putting a band-aid on a massive head wound.

I remember reading that Bluepoint for their several HD collections reverse engineered the code from the retail discs. With that in mind it's baffling that Konami/Hijinx would not do the same when they didn't have a finished code version on record.

I remember reading that Bluepoint for their several HD collections reverse engineered the code from the retail discs. With that in mind it's baffling that Konami/Hijinx would not do the same when they didn't have a finished code version on record.
I think the most glaring issue is Konami not keeping final code on hand.

Judging by those horrible HD ports of Silent Hill 2 and 3, you're a lot better off just playing them on PS2 if you can.

But I have a feeling Konami will do a future re-release of some of the older SH games in order to build up even more hype for Silent Hills. That's just my thought, though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
image.php

That can't be real.

It's real.

OP, they made the game slightly less awful on PS3, but the 360 version never got the patch. The ports are still offensively bad to anyone who's played the original versions, so I'd recommend you to get them for PS2 or PC rather than the HD port hackjob.

NEO0MJ

For PS3. Not 360.

And even then, it's not fixed. Better off finding the PC versions.

EDIT: ZOE HD PS3 patch was done by Hexadrive...I wish they patched SH HD Collection.

Tigress

Well shoot. I don't have the ps2 versions, just the ps3 he collection. It's been in my backlog for a while and I was thinking of starting it. Is it that bad? Or is it at least doable if that is the version I already have? Don't really want to buy them again, I am poor and already spent way too much on gaming and its not like I don't have a backlog of games (getting myself addicted to tomb raider right now).

What was wrong with them?

Top Bottom