• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Konami ever fix the Silent Hill HD collection?

Persona7

Banned
I remember reading that Bluepoint for their several HD collections reverse engineered the code from the retail discs. With that in mind it's baffling that Konami/Hijinx would not do the same when they didn't have a finished code version on record.

The link to 1up is not working but I have the text from a interview with tomm hulett on the problem with preservation.

The lesson then would seem to be that if better archiving were done in the past, we would have better re-masters today. "Ten years ago, a lot of game companies assumed the games were 'done' once development finished, and that they wouldn't need to use that data ever again. Now it's clear that having all that data in an easy-to-manage format is important. Many consumers don't realize you can't just buy a copy of SH2 and then open up its code in a usable state."

It may not been in a usable state, but they can most certainly use that retail disc for making a high quality re-master. Huelett's team at Konami and Egan's team at Sanzaru were both working from source code provided by either the publisher or the studio that originally made the games they were in charge of re-mastering, while O'Neil's team at Bluepoint went back to Santa Monica only for certain assets. Using legacy code is not always be the best way to create the best possible HD re-master. Bluepoint's track record with God of War, Metal Gear, and Team Ico's game shows that their method might be preferable: Don't use old code, use the finished game itself.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
No, it's enormously fucked.

I played through the games for the first time via this collection, and the stuttering running/walking drove me fucking bananas.

I still powered through and absolutely loved the games, however.

The most important post here for the OP. Still loved them on his first experience.

From what I remember, I thought the patch only/mostly applied to SH3--that it had more major glitches and stuff at launch than SH2 did.

The new voices are optional in SH2 (they suck) but mandatory in SH3 (they suck) because of some weird issue they had with VA rights or so they said.

As someone who played the PS2 originals, the state of the HD collection is a downright tragedy and almost enough to make someone advocate piracy if the HD collection was their only real option. The PC versions of SH2 and 3 can be made to work just fine on modern rigs and it doesn't take THAT much effort.

bombshell

The link to 1up is not working but I have the text from a interview with tomm hulett on the problem with preservation.

You could apply that same bolded quote to any of the Bluepoint collections, still the point stands that Bluepoint reverse engineered the code from the retail disc code.

nkarafo

Like some people already mentioned, i could care less about the bugs. Heck, even the PC versions have bugs but these are my favorite versions.

Its the artistic changes that ruined the HD collection. They changed how the game looks and feels, for the worst ofc. Even the original creator was upset about this in some of his tweets as i remember.

virtualS

The work Hexadrive did on the ZOE patch and on Okami HD was mind blowing. Talk about understanding hardware and proper software engineering.

Well shoot. I don't have the ps2 versions, just the ps3 he collection. It's been in my backlog for a while and I was thinking of starting it. Is it that bad? Or is it at least doable if that is the version I already have? Don't really want to buy them again, I am poor and already spent way too much on gaming and its not like I don't have a backlog of games (getting myself addicted to tomb raider right now).

What was wrong with them?

I played through them just fine, but the HD collection has a large amount of changes from the originals in cutscenes, sounds, in game textures, everything. It's the worst way to play the games by far, but despite its bugs it is still playable.

UrbanRats

Like some people already mentioned, i could care less about the bugs. Heck, even the PC versions have bugs but these are my favorite versions.

Its the artistic changes that ruined the HD collection. They changed how the game looks and feels, for the worst ofc. Even the original creator was upset about this in some of his tweets as i remember.

When a bug removes a sound that makes or breaks a scene, you'd better care.

The work Hexadrive did on the ZOE patch and on Okami HD was mind blowing. Talk about understanding hardware and proper software engineering.

Hexadrive are godsends. I wish Rez HD would've made it to PS3 or PC. I bet Hexadrive would've been glad to do that.

I still can't believe how terrible the lake looked. Yuck.

MwAvM.jpg

This is amazing. What were they thinking?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
OP, don't fucking get the HD collection. It is an atrocity of a release and it is a disservice to the fans and the franchise.

Seik

Banned
Silent Hill HD Collection is the best example of a wasted opportunity.

So many things could have been done right, all this shit-work could have gone on another game, but no, it had to be SH. :(

Jimrpg

Exactly why I still have the original PS2 versions.

I stopped selling games a long time ago because you never know if you want to play a game again the original way.

nkarafo

Well, if its something so bad, i agree. I'm mostly referring to smaller bugs and graphic glitches. What i'm saying is that even if the HD collection didn't have the game breaking bugs it appears to have, it would still be a bad release due to the artistic changes that completely altered the vision of the original creators.

doofy102

How it runs isn't even the biggest problem about this collection, it's the huge artistic changes that were made that ruin or distort the atmosphere— the most important part of any SH game.
Fog.gif

Does the original version have that damage-animation loop as well? dear god

luka

Loves Robotech S1

I was watching a friend play through the PC version of SH2 for the first time, and when she reached the first pyramid head fight in the apartments the background audio bugged out and disappeared. Complete silence save for the sounds coming from James and the PH.

She didn't realize anything was wrong but I was losing my shit. It's for this reason I only recommend people play the PS2 versions. It's the only way to be sure.

It's a real shame for a series that has so many obviously deliberate artistic decisions to have them completely butchered in this fashion. The fact many people might have seen this as an opportunity to jump into the series and play the HD collection as their first Silent Hill experience is extremely aggravating to me. It is the ultimate cherry on top of the disgraceful way Konami has treated the Silent Hill series for the last decade.

The only way to play a true HD version of SH2 or 3 is to get the PC versions and mod/patch them up, if those are unavailable then it's probably just best to play the PS2 versions and deal with the jaggies.

Izcarielo

Banned
I really want to play SH2 now in Pc. Whats the best way to play it? PCSX2 or the native pc edition?
I also think there was a Directors cut edition, am i right?

SparkTR

PC version of Silent Hill 2 is almost impossible to find legally for a good price, though. Even the PS2 version is pricey.

Hopefully there's some incentive for Konami to put them on Steam, not these butchered HD editions but the old ports, warts and all.

EGM1966

OP your choices are hit Google and play them 'em on PC once you dope out how to tweak 'em or buy a cheap PS2 and play them there.

Do not touch the HD remasters if you actually want to enjoy the games properly as the atmosphere is shot to hell on the remasters.

Konosuke

Still blows my mind how Hexadrive made ZOE2 1080p and 60fps with a patch and High Voltage only managed 720p ~40fps.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I have the pc versions but honestly I'm ready to take the dive on the hd collections.
I don't enjoy gaming on my laptop and don't want to screw around setting up a controller.
sometimes comfort is more important than quality.

Mar Nosso

Banned
I stayed far away from these... they could never fix all the problem with this collection, the biggest problems are FAR from only technical.

Watch this... it's long, and their humor is terrible, but it is an AMAZING watch for the critical dissection they perform on the collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxYkNUyBhS4

Christ! Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is dumb as a doormat talking down someone that had every right to claim his compensation. Not to mention how as the director for the new voices recording she did an appalling job. Shows her as a light headed singing girl who can't even grasp the essence of what she's been working on all these years.

Wish I hadn't seen that, 'Letter - From the Lost Days' is never going to evoke the same feelings now.

Stimpack

I decided earlier yesterday that I also need to dip into Silent Hill. It's one of the somewhat small list of games I never ended up getting around to. Everything I'm seeing here, in regards to the HD collection, is truly terrifying. I applaud their efforts. Never have I been so frightened!

jimi_dini

It doesn't.

The art direction and locations look incredible and you notice a lot more details on the characters and the areas due to the improved textures and resolution.

Yep. They even cleaned up the streets. Team Silent really fucked up and made the streets look dirty and used. It looked really shitty back then. Now in the new HD collection the pavement is brand new. Isn't that great? Dirty streets look horrible in HD, I can tell you that.

WbMtrNI.png

Rkmj7oj.jpg

PS3 version has been patched but people need to realize it's not possible to restore it to the exact final release version. That information is gone, kinda like lossy audio compression. The HD Collection was made from beta code, as others have mentioned.

http://www.exophase.com/41760/silent-hill-hd-collection-was-ported-from-beta-source-code/

SH3 original voice acting is also completely gone. Of course some people don't care about this stuff, but I think it's worth caring about for these games.

I don't know if they patched it out but they had changed a critical scene in SH2 in a way that fundamentally crippled the artistic (and even basic story) message originally intended. (
Putting fake TV outline around the VHS video James plays at the hotel where he remembers what happened to his wife. If you didn't know what happened, it was easy to completely miss it.
)

Yep. They even cleaned up the streets. Team Silent really fucked up and made the streets look dirty and used. It looked really shitty back then. Now in the new HD collection the pavement is brand new. Isn't that great? Dirty streets look horrible in HD, I can tell you that.

This, haha.

From what I hear, 2 is mostly sorted out on the PS3 now, but not the 360. I'm tempted to get it, just so I can bypass the awful original voice acting of both games. Silent Hill 2 is the seminal survival-horror, don't get me wrong, but boy does the immersion factor drop to zero whenever James opens his mouth.

It doesn't.

The art direction and locations look incredible and you notice a lot more details on the characters and the areas due to the improved textures and resolution.

Though obviously there is less fog in the HD version.

I fucking dare you to find a single image from the hd collection that shows some significant increase in detail without somehow botching something else in the image.

From what I hear, 2 is mostly sorted out on the PS3 now, but not the 360. I'm tempted to get it, just so I can bypass the awful original voice acting of both games. Silent Hill 2 is the seminal survival-horror, don't get me wrong, but boy does the immersion factor drop to zero whenever James opens his mouth.

So you...want the new va for James? Man you must be a big fan of english anime voice acting cuz that's what it becomes. The team chose James's voice and way of talking and made sure it was like that on purpose, you understand that right?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was watching a friend play through the PC version of SH2 for the first time, and when she reached the first pyramid head fight in the apartments the background audio bugged out and disappeared. Complete silence save for the sounds coming from James and the PH.

She didn't realize anything was wrong but I was losing my shit. It's for this reason I only recommend people play the PS2 versions. It's the only way to be sure.

Actually I forgot to apply the sound-fix so I went back and installed it and it worked properly after. This also reminds me I need to get back to the game!

Blur

Banned
A lesson to be learned here...

If you want a remastered version or even the slightest touch up for another console... hire Bluepoint.

ElTopo

Banned
Why didn't they just release a PS2 emulated version of the collection? Slap a filter on it and call it a day.

Is it possible that they could use the PC versions as a base for future ports?

So you...want the new va for James? Man you must be a big fan of english anime voice acting cuz that's what it becomes. The team chose James's voice and way of talking and made sure it was like that on purpose, you understand that right?

Quite the opposite, I hate Western dubs in anime. It's just that, listening to the likes of Troy Baker has got to be vastly superior than having to endure Guy Cihi's brand of gormless non-acting.

Credit where credit's due though, the actress who played Mary/Maria was good.

Bittercup

Archived assets from the games were lost so there was nothing they could do and Konami forced it out.
"The problem with source asset drops is that you don't know if it's the final shipped data," O'Neil explains. "People will go and make last-minute changes…So what we do is take the retail disc and reverse-engineer it. With God Of War, we actually got a big virtual knife and chopped off their entire renderer and replaced it with ours."
That's what Bluepoint did.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/bluepoint-hd-remakes-you-make-one-mistake-and-it-kills-it/#null
Sounds like a better approach than using a beta version as source.

Top Bottom