• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Make your predictions for 2015 in video gaming

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
predictions4fkym.png

Each New Year often brings a sense of determination, resolve and expectation, and for 2015 this couldn't be more true. Next year is packed with blockbuster titles such as Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Halo 5: Guardians, Just Cause 3, Mario Maker, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, No Man's Sky, Pillars of Eternity, The Legend of Zelda and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, to name a few. 2015 also marks the 20th anniversary of E3. To all of this we can expect many interesting happenings, some good and some bad, and I thought in this thread we can try and predict what might happen.

Some of my predictions

newconsole72jvh.png

A new console will be revealed

Whether it be Nintendo with the successor to Nintendo 3DS or that console for emerging markets they've been talking about, or some other company like Apple, Alibaba or Google, I wouldn't be surprised to see new hardware next year.

zeldaudkd2.png

The Legend of Zelda for Wii U WON'T be released in 2015

I think we will see another Twilight Princess situation where the game is released as a cross-platform game at the end of Wii U's lifespan together with a next gen release on the successor system.
In the meantime we will perhaps get something "simpler" like a new Four Swords Adventures or The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask HD (port of the 3DS game). If not a delay for this reason, I think some other technical hickup will happen that will push the game's release date.

divisionczj40.png

Tom Clancy's The Division will fail to impress

Ubisoft will just keep on digging, showing that they have learned little from Watch Dogs. While the game very likely will be more graphically impressive than Watch Dogs, the game will feature very few new gameplay elements and this negligence will show a grand detriment since its inception at E3 2013.

vrwarseskv0.png

The VR wars will be intensified

Oculus VR hasn't really had much competition, in the video game consumer space anyway, since they started, but Sony with its Project Morpheus is about to change that. Microsoft is also rumored to have plans to reveal the Fortaleza VR glasses originally detailed in the infamous "methodology" document from 2010. I think the battle for the VR space will be very intense this year, and it'll likely start as early as CES January 6-9 with Sony perhaps showing Morpheus. When Microsoft will debut Fortaleza I don't know, could be at a dedicated event (as for Xbox One). I don't think we'll see a new competitor besides Microsoft and Sony in this field however.

valveyzude.png

Something

No, I don't expect that, but nonetheless I think Valve will provide us something really juicy, having failed to do so at the 10th anniversary of Half-Life 2. Best outcome for me would be a reveal of Source 2. Or something else than hats anyway. They're confirmed for GDC (two booths), perhaps we'll hear something little then.

Japanese gaming is going to explode. By that, I mean there's going to be an explosion of new Japanese games as publishers and developers start moving to the next generation of consoles.

1. Bloodborne won't be as well revered as Dark Souls.
2. A new Metroid game will be announced.
3. Nintendo will again have the best overall software lineup of any publisher.
4. Ubisoft will not learn anything from all their mistakes this year.
5. The Legend of Zelda WILL be released.
6. The Last Guardian, Beyond Good and Evil 2, and Half-Life 3 will again be MIA.
7. Splatoon will do extremely well with critics and sell over 1m copies.
8. Uncharted 4 will not be as well revered as TLOU.
9. SSM's God of War 4 will be revealed and will exceed the technical excellence of The Order: 1886.
10. With all the great Indy games, AAA games, and mid budget titles, it will be the best year of the generation.

FluxWaveZ

1. Persona 5 will come out and it will be good.
  2. A genuinely "exciting new" Atlus game gets announced next year.
  3. Dai Gyakuten Saiban gets announced for localization, and so does Danganronpa: Another Episode.
  4. An "exciting new" Arc System Works game gets announced.
  5. Zero Escape 3 and Danganronpa 3 get announced.

Shit is going to break and be broken a lot. People will still buy it. I'll complain.

MSRP for Xbox will be $300 by end of year. $350 for PS4.

PS4 will get suspend/resume.

Big things happening with traditionally cable tv stations and such for both consoles. Comcast gets angry.

A Skylanders type game for amiibos announced.

The Order: 1886 will be better than everyone thinks.

Valve will announce their next wave of games, beginning with Half-Life 3 in late 2015.

*Full VR support for their future games as well

I honestly believe, especially after reading any piece of intel that comes from MS or Rare, they are back on track.

No more Kinect, creative freedom and a chance of redemption.

SalvaPot

Zelda gets a 2015 release just in time.

We get Pokemon XY/XX.

Marth amiibos go for 300 bucks on ebay.

Sony leaks their plans to make a new Crash game, cancels it because of the leak.

Ice Climbers get in smash! As an assist trophy!

Detective Pikachu is the greatest pokemon game since Pokemon Snap.

The new 3DS gets released on North America! Exclusive to Nintendo World Store in New York.

MAX PAYMENT

VR will still be a myth.
gaming will make no innovative steps forward.

Nintendo announces a new console that will once again be too late to matter in this gen, and will eventually be forgotten about as ps5, nextboxes come out a year and half later.

People will continue believe that half life 3 will happen, despite most current gamers literally having no idea what half life is.

Endo Punk

The Division will be yet another game in the long line up of over promised and under delivered ubisoft titles but who cares? Certainly not gamers.

winstano

Games will still be broken at launch.
People will continue to buy these broken games
Microsoft will land one huge Japanese developed exclusive
Sony will land one huge western developed exclusive
Valve won't mention half life 3
Sony won't mention the last guardian
Rockstar won't mention a god damn thing after GTA pc launches
A big game will be announced at E3 and come out before the end of the year.

New Nintendo 3DS released in North America on the same day as Majora's Mask 3D. Prices will be $150 for New Nintendo 3DS, $170 for New Nintendo 3DS with Majora's Mask 3D, $180 for New Nintendo 3DS XL, and $200 for New Nintendo 3DS XL with Majora's Mask 3D.

Splatoon receives perfect scores from every website and magazine (that still exist) in every country. Nintendo releases an orange Splatoon Wii U that comes with the game and an Inkling plushie. Nintendo sells 25 million bundles and 6 million standalone copies of the game. Splatoon is hailed as GOTY 2015.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I love threads like this. It would be cool if someone could bump it this time next year so we could all laugh at how wrong we are.

Nintendo will once again avoid a traditional E3 and continue the Nintendo Digital Event / Treehouse Live format which was so successful.

The first range of non-Smash amiibos will be Majora's Mask branded and feature amiibo of Link in various masks, etc.

The New 3DS will launch in Europe and NA around the same time as Majora's Mask. The game was already confirmed to have N3DS specific functionality.

We will finally get a New Metroid announcement.

Four Swords Adventures will get a Wii U release too, meaning the entire Zelda series is playable this gen.

Iwata will still remain.

The PS4 will continue to dramatically outsell every other console.

The Order 1886 will be badly drubbed in reviews.

Still no sign of The Last Guardian.

Virtual Reality will still not be mainstream by the end of 2015.

MS will continue aggressively lowering the price of the Xbox One, bundling it with multiple games, etc.

Quixz

The Order will review poorly due to Q.T.E and Gears comparisons but will end up selling well.

ipad air 3 will pack as much power as PS4/Bone

mp1990

Banned
Hell guys,you are pessimistic. Seriously,i think that 2015 will be the best year for games in a long time,and certainly to me that just started playing at last gen. I already liked 2014 with all broken titles and disappointments,next year will be marvelous.

no one in gaf will like No Man's Sky

Hawk269

With the surge in Xbox One sales during the holidays, the software wars will be in full effect in 2015. It will no longer be about the console, but what each company (MS & Sony) brings to the table software wise. I think that pricing will be a big thing in 2015 and like some have said, by EOY 2015 the Xbox One will be $299.99 and the PS4 will be $349.99.

I think E3 will be a HUGE push of exclusive titles for each system. MS & Sony are going to go at it to grab the consumer mindshare based on what titles are exclusive to each system.

I think VR will bomb and be over-priced for he average consumer. The cost of entry will be way too high for new owners that do not have a next gen system. Imagine the cost of a PS4 & VR Headset and then a game or 2 to drive it all. It will be too expensive for many.

Neff

-RE7, Devil May Cry 5, and Retro's new Wii U title will be revealed at E3.
-Zelda U will release in 2015, but it'll be a Christmas title.
-Gameplay footage of Scalebound is shown and it's a huge action adventure title in the vein of Zelda/Ōkami.
-MS plays hardball with exclusives at E3.
-Street Fighter V development hastens and releases earlier than expected.
-No new Nintendo hardware, although a Wii U revision is possible.
-Devil's Third reviews and sells surprisingly well due to word of mouth from blossoming, loyal online community. Splatoon also does well, but DT is the go-to game for most.
-New non-Smash Amiibos premiered, some licenced from 3rd party classic games.
-Square will announce that FFXV is releasing this year, but will slip to 2016. Kingdom Hearts 3 will get a gameplay trailer at E3, but no date will be given. FFXII HD also announced.
-PS4/Bone finally start to free themselves from their unfavourable remaster/cross gen image and establish themselves as premium, trendsetting devices with appealing, exclusive content.
-Shenmue III turns out to be real, but very much scaled down compared to the first two titles, possibly being episodic.

Sony:

1. The Order 1886 will get middling reviews, high 70s to low 80s. It'll sell pretty well WW, but it'll be a game most people quickly forget.

2. Bloodborne will come out and be amazing.

3. Uncharted 4 will be a critical success, but fans will still complain it's not as good as UC2. It'll nonetheless go on to sell more than Halo 5, and continue to push ND forward.

4. Sony will start outselling MS in Jan in NA, they'll do so for months until another MS firesale in the Holidays afterwhich everyone will once again "forget" the rest of the year and the rest of the world, since only Nov and Dec and only NA really count.

5. Project Morpheus won't come out 2015.

6. We'll see a lot more exclusives announced as their first party finally starts gearing up.

7. Last Guardian, E3..... last chance....

8. Price cut at E3.

9. The PS4's 2015 library will overall be one of the best years ever.

Nintendo:

1. Zelda get's delayed to early 2016.

2. The new Star Fox is going to be awesome even though we know nothing about it. I'll take what I can.

3. Splatoon is going to bomb, hard.

4. Their new handheld will be announced, coming out late 2015 in Japan.

5. The Wii U will continue it's downward spiral.

6. SMT X FE will continue to be MIA.

MS:

1. The X1 will collapse after a strong Dec, MS will keep the price at $350.

2. QB will be a high 80's metacritic game, loved by fans, but it's sales impact will about as relevant as SO and FH2.

3. Forza 6 will come out late 2015.

4. They'll announce a Gears Collection at E3. Gears X1 CGI trailer shown.

5. Fable Legends will fail commercially and critically, it'll be the final nail on the franchise's coffin.

6. Halo 5 will be a solid game, but it'll continue the series downward spiral, both in influence and in sales.

7. The X1 will continue to be dead everywhere outside NA and the UK, the media will continue to ignore everywhere outside NA.

8. MS will announce a hardware revision and/or price cut at E3, this will not be enough tot run the tides.

9. Another MS firesale incoming for next year, X1's for $199-$250 would not surprise me.

10. MS' new E3 announcments will be CGI trailers for games that are years off (again).

11. The Tomb Raider sequel will be a okay game, but nothing groundbreaking. Held back by it's cross gen nature, and absolutely overshadowed by UC.

12. We'll finally start to see how MS over reliance on third parties hurts them as Sony's first parties start pumping things out. SO will land on PC. They won't be able to secure any big name third party exclusives, their paltry first party isn't enough and they'll struggle to come up with a compelling lineup. The Media will, once again, ignore most of the year and focus solely on the last few months, where MS will cram as much as they can.

13. Scalebound, PD, and Crackdown are all 2016 games. We'll see some gameplay at E3, but that's about it. Halo 5 will be shown for the third E3 in a row. Rare's new game will try to go for the nostalgia factor, they will ultimately fail on delivering.

That's about it, off the top of my head.

kirby_fox

Banned
- A title considered to be AAA will be delayed to fix issues with the title instead of launching broken. It will not be first party. The overall reception will be mediocre.

- A new IP will be born and see sequels for the foreseeable future.

- Online gaming will see a change in some form somewhere among the big 3. Debates will come out whether it's good or bad.

- Permanent price cuts will hit all consoles.

- An unexpected sequel/reimagining/port will be announced. GAF may crash.

- VR headsets will launch. Reaction will be positive, but price will be too high for majority of people and support will be limited at launch.

- An outside company will attempt to take on "gaming" with a new product and see the product fail to make a huge mark in gaming. This product may already exist and gaming will simply be added in an attempt to upset the market. It will not work.

- A new service will launch for one of the consoles and people will be uneasy of it at first if not outright ignore it.

- Nintendo will be doomed, Sony will be hacked, Microsoft will do TV, EA and Ubisoft will launch broken games, and Valve will tease Half Life 3 at least once.

Japanese gaming is going to explode. By that, I mean there's going to be an explosion of new Japanese games as publishers and developers start moving to the next generation of consoles.

and vita will get more localization support via digital. Seems like the japanese pubs are realizing that they can make profits this way.

Ueda walks on stage and The Last Guardian is re-revealed at the end of Sony's E3 conference, now a PS4 exclusive. Everyone in the crowd pops champagne and does a little jig while getting shitfaced. This is not fan-fiction.

Oregano

I only have two predictions I care to make:

1)Nintendo will announce the 3DS successor in Calendar Year 2015. Even if it doesn't have a big public debut at E3(or in a Nintendo Direct) it will be announced in an Investor's briefing as the 3DS and Wii U were.

2)A Dragon Quest game for a dedicated gaming platform will be released in the west this year. Either DQVII or DQ Heroes will release this year.

Betty

Banned
The Last Guardian will be mentioned at E3... by gamers when it's once again not shown.

Xenoblade X and Persona 5 will vie for best JRPG of this gen.

Kingdom Hearts HD Collection for Next Gen announced.

MGSV will release, it will be the best MGS so far, it won't be broken at launch like other AAA titles but despite being on multiple platforms it will not outperform sales of past entries and while it will be a critical darling, most people, especially on Neogaf, will overlook it because the graphics aren't as astonishing as other titles and the perception that it's unwelcoming to newcomers to the series.

The Order 1886 will be every bit as flawed as people think it will and will be forgotten by the end of the year, but will still appeal to people who enjoy cinematic/scripted games.

The Amiibo craze will only grow.

PS4 will continue to lead in sales but Xbox will slowly catch up.

E3 will be better than last years, but only slightly

Square Enix will do something phenomenally stupid.

celsowmbr

Banned
--Sonic PS4 and xbone only in 2016 (25th a.)
--Sega Hard Girls Game for 3ds and Vita
--Virtua Fighter 5 FS pc port
--Ps4 slim

Discomurf

No Mans Sky will just be OK

Shenume HD collection releasing exclusively on Wii U

metroid by retro is announced at E3

MS announces an amazing exclusive at e3

JordanN

Banned
E3 2015:

Cerny walks on stage. Says "Playstation wasn't the only thing that turned 20 recently"

Crash Bandicoot returns. But one more thing shows up. At the end, there's a box...

"created and developed, by Naughty Dog"

lUgV30l.gif

It might not happen, but man if it did...

Rösti;145098832 said:
No, I don't expect that, but nonetheless I think Valve will provide us something really juicy, having failed to do so at the 10th anniversary of Half-Life 2. Best outcome for me would be a reveal of Source 2. Or something else than hats anyway. They're confirmed for GDC (two booths), perhaps we'll hear something little then.

GDC will be for Steam Machines. And Source 2 will be for Dota 2. Don't expect them to mention HL at all. At the best L4D3 will be revealed.

Corpekata

Banned
Saints Row 5 announced toward the end of year, because Deep Silver have a really narrow focus when they have a hit on their hands

Dying Light, like Dead Island, will probably have a bit of a lackluster critical response, be extremely janky, and still somehow sell a buttload

Telltale announces Walking Dead season 3 but not Wolf Among Us season 2

Sunset Overdrive PC port toward end of year.

Might No. 9 will be kinda disappointing

Project Eternity will be awesome and get similar recognition that Divinity OS did

Pathologic remake will still be very bewildering and confusing.

The Order will be a bit of a bust, but still have a cult following pimping it every chance they can.

Anth0ny

disappointment

zelda will have a huge but boring, empty and lifeless overworld. it won't be delayed because Nintendo needs a big game for holiday 2015.

MGSV won't live up to the hype

FFXV won't even drop this year

Still no TLG announcement

Hawk269

Sony:

1. The Order 1886 will get middling reviews, high 70s to low 80s. It'll sell pretty well WW, but it'll be a game most people quickly forget.

2. Bloodborne will come out and be amazing.

3. Uncharted 4 will be a critical success, but fans will still complain it's not as good as UC2. It'll nonetheless go on to sell more than Halo 5, and continue to push ND forward.

4. Sony will start outselling MS in Jan in NA, they'll do so for months until another MS firesale in the Holidays afterwhich everyone will once again "forget" the rest of the year and the rest of the world, since only Nov and Dec and only NA really count.

5. Project Morpheus won't come out 2015.

6. We'll see a lot more exclusives announced as their first party finally starts gearing up.

7. Last Guardian, E3..... last chance....

8. Price cut at E3.

9. The PS4's 2015 library will overall be one of the best years ever.

Nintendo:

1. Zelda get's delayed to early 2016.

2. The new Star Fox is going to be awesome even though we know nothing about it. I'll take what I can.

3. Splatoon is going to bomb, hard.

4. Their new handheld will be announced, coming out late 2015 in Japan.

5. The Wii U will continue it's downward spiral.

6. SMT X FE will continue to be MIA.

MS:

1. The X1 will collapse after a strong Dec, MS will keep the price at $350.

2. QB will be a high 80's metacritic game, loved by fans, but it's sales impact will about as relevant as SO and FH2.

3. Forza 6 will come out late 2015.

4. They'll announce a Gears Collection at E3. Gears X1 CGI trailer shown.

5. Fable Legends will fail commercially and critically, it'll be the final nail on the franchise's coffin.

6. Halo 5 will be a solid game, but it'll continue the series downward spiral, both in influence and in sales.

7. The X1 will continue to be dead everywhere outside NA and the UK, the media will continue to ignore everywhere outside NA.

8. MS will announce a hardware revision and/or price cut at E3, this will not be enough tot run the tides.

9. Another MS firesale incoming for next year, X1's for $199-$250 would not surprise me.

10. MS' new E3 announcments will be CGI trailers for games that are years off (again).

11. The Tomb Raider sequel will be a okay game, but nothing groundbreaking. Held back by it's cross gen nature, and absolutely overshadowed by UC.

12. We'll finally start to see how MS over reliance on third parties hurts them as Sony's first parties start pumping things out. SO will land on PC. They won't be able to secure any big name third party exclusives, their paltry first party isn't enough and they'll struggle to come up with a compelling lineup. The Media will, once again, ignore most of the year and focus solely on the last few months, where MS will cram as much as they can.

13. Scalebound, PD, and Crackdown are all 2016 games. We'll see some gameplay at E3, but that's about it. Halo 5 will be shown for the third E3 in a row. Rare's new game will try to go for the nostalgia factor, they will ultimately fail on delivering.

That's about it, off the top of my head.

You could of saved time and just say "MS sucks and will continue to suck and will suck even more in 2015". It's obvious you think MS sucks, so you should of just left it at that man.

Josh7289

The last big PS3/360 games will be released. Cross-gen games will also disappear after 2015 and those consoles will become part of the past.

EDIT: Also, I highly doubt that any new consoles will be announced in 2015. I think the successor to the 3DS will be announced and released in 2016, especially considering that the New 3DS is releasing in 2015 in most of Nintendo's markets, and they won't want to potentially hurt sales of that console in the holiday 2015 season by having already announced its successor.

Nintendo will introduce a 3DS successor.

Sony will Sony and do nothing while PS4 sales continue to explode.

Microsoft will try their hardest by introducing VR, a PS Now competitor, lots of third party and first party exclusives, and do anything and everything they can to win holiday 2015. They'll repeat their performance of this year by negating the PS lead in US and continue to be irrelevant everywhere else.

Ubisoft won't give a shit and continue all the shit they've done this year, and people will continue to realize their AAA is just garbage.

EA will struggle the first half and then outsell CoD with Battlefront.

Activision still won't give a shit as CoD sells less than the last but still makes lots of money.

Evolve will be highly reviewed and sell decently but will die down just as fast as Titanfall died down hype-wise.

Witcher 3 will turn out to be not as amazing everybody hoped, with some inconsistent visuals. It'll still sell well despite the controversy.

Nvidia will release a Shield Portable 2 that runs on... Windows!

Seriously, Windows tablets are now becoming crazy powerful and cheap, I think 2015 will be their year.

The Division will have review score ranging from 70s to 80. And as usual, no one will care about the game :(

The Order 1886 will surprisingly deliver although many people will criticize that the game has meh and boring gameplay.

A E3 teaser for The New God of War which will be released in 2016.

Uncharted 4 will once again dominate Sony E3 2015 just like Uncharted 2 did in 2009.

Quantum Break will be released in late 2015 and deliver thanks to its story and pacing.

Hawk269

No Mans Sky will just be OK

Shenume HD collection releasing exclusively on Wii U

metroid by retro is announced at E3

MS announces an amazing exclusive at e3

Shenmue HD collection would get me to get a Wii U again without a doubt.

As I said before, I think the success of the PS4/Xbox One and how they are going at each other's throat will be just amazing for gamers like us. Will it live up to the Nintendo/Sega battle where we had some amazing games due to the battle is to be determined, but I am firmly in the belief that the competition between the two will benefit the gamer in a big way in 2015/16.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Nintendo announces 3DS successor.

Uncharted 4 makes GAF meltdown.

The Last of Us 2 announced at E3, makes GAF meltdown again.

The Last Guardian won't come out but we may get some big news on it again. (Please)

Solid FF XV release date will happen some time in 2015 for all regions.

Steam becomes a paradise for niche Japanese titles.

Top Bottom