• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I’d Be Surprised If The Playstation 5 Were Not Backwards Compatible” – NPD Analyst.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/id-be-surprised-if-the-ps5-were-not-backwards-compatible-npd-analyst

There have been reports that have suggested that the PS5 will end up having backwards compatibility, and that is something that NPD analyst Mat Piscatella agrees with as well. Recently, while speaking in an exclusive interview with GamingBolt, Piscatella said that he expects the PS5 to have backwards compatibility for the PS4’s library.

“I’d be surprised if the PS5 were not backwards compatible with PS4 content, and Sony already has a streaming solution in market with PlayStation Now,” Piscatella told GamingBolt. “It wouldn’t surprise me if both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox took this type of approach, although I’m sure they’d do so in slightly different ways with different messaging.”

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Of course it will be. It's going to be the same x86 AMD tech as the PS4. The only reason they didn't do it with the PS3 was the stupid Cell.

Elcid

Banned
I'm beginning to think the PS5 might be like the Pro in the sense that PS4 games just might run better or at higher resolutions and PS5 games will be built from the ground up for the newer hardware.

I expect it to be backwards compatible considering that a lot of gamers are seemingly requesting that feature above all else next generation.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Yay, they are going to separate Mat's comments into 30 different articles like they did with Hellpoint." - Hellpoint Dev

Xdrive05

I believe it, but curious how this will work, technically. Will the next gen CPU simply include 7nm Jaguar cores on chip along with the new ones? Or will it be designed to be able to run in a “Jaguar mode” while doing BC? The GPU side is more straightforward I think. Xbox One to the X seems to manage that part fine despite different architecture.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I would be surprised as well. People forget that the ps4 is the only Playstation not BC (except the original obviously). I forget if the PS4 can play PS1 discs though.

Pallas

I would be surprised as well. People forget that the ps4 is the only Playstation not BC (except the original obviously). I forget if the PS4 can play PS1 discs though.

It can’t play PS1 or PS2 discs, I think there’s a small amount of fear that Sony might try to monetize backwards compatibility on the PS5 with PS4 games like how they are doing it currently with PS Now.

I’m hoping the success of backwards compatibility on the Xbox will cause them not to go this route with PS4 compatibility with the PS5.

Not hating on Sony, but I think there’s a small thread of doubt that isn’t unreasonable that they might pull something like that or might had planned on it.

Dumb question. Im a physical copy type of guy but im wondering if it is BC, does it count the same for digital bought games? I know the situation is vastly different now but i remember when i got PS4 on launch, the PS store was literally empty...maybe 10 titles available and 5 avatars and a theme or two.

So of course the PS3 games couldn't be played therefore that massive PSN store of demos, arcades, ports etc was non existent on thenew system. Wonder how PS5 PSN will look when it launches.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dumb question. Im a physical copy type of guy but im wondering if it is BC, does it count the same for digital bought games? I know the situation is vastly different now but i remember when i got PS4 on launch, the PS store was literally empty...maybe 10 titles available and 5 avatars and a theme or two.

So of course the PS3 games couldn't be played therefore that massive PSN store of demos, arcades, ports etc was non existent on thenew system. Wonder how PS5 PSN will look when it launches.

Yes, it would count for digital as well. Basically a store ecosystem much like your phones and PC.

Ozrimandias

This announcement of the next generation has me a bit uneasy. I have a huge amount of games downloaded on PS4, I had it on PS3 too and Sony left without support all the games I had, PS1 and PS2 Classics are about to get lost once my Ps3 dies.
I buy from time to time some classics waiting on PS4 waiting for Sony to implement backwards compatibility on PS5, the idea is that it is as close to what Xbox does, but sometimes Sony behaves so erratically.
They encourage you tu buy digital, the world is moving that way....but "digital" its related to specific hardware.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe it will be but it doesn't matter at all.

New games are what move a system.

I hope even with BC Sony give make a Remaster of big titles like TLOU2... a 60fps version with improved graphics only for PS5 and I will buy it again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I believe it, but curious how this will work, technically. Will the next gen CPU simply include 7nm Jaguar cores on chip along with the new ones? Or will it be designed to be able to run in a “Jaguar mode” while doing BC? The GPU side is more straightforward I think. Xbox One to the X seems to manage that part fine despite different architecture.

They are both x64 family chips. The same code will run fine because of the shared instruction sets so its not like there needs to be any sort of emulation layer, just some sort of VM shell. i.e. The OS needs to support a consistent interface and to path the code appropriately so only a PS4-level subset of features is presented to the software.

That done, its purely a matter of verifying whether a particular program behaves expectedly and can then be added to a whitelist.

Thiagosc777

People forget that the BC in the PS4 Pro was just underclocking the CPU and disabling part of the GPU to match the PS4 hardware. This was made to guarantee that all games would continue running as they did. All the other BC features Sony added to previous consoles were hardware based (including chips from the previous systems in the new one). So, how are they going to do it?

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
They not exactly going out on a limb with this claim. I think most people expect PS5 to be backwards compatible. If anything it would kind of be a huge shocker if it wasn't...

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
i just want to be able to play the ps1 games I bought on my ps3/vita. Thats enough BC for me.

granted if ps5 does play ps4 discs, then therell be no reason to keep ps4 around i guess, so thatd be a nice way to reduce console clutter.

I'm beginning to think the PS5 might be like the Pro in the sense that PS4 games just might run better or at higher resolutions and PS5 games will be built from the ground up for the newer hardware.
Come to think of it thatd be pretty smart. Buy ghosts of tsushima on ps4 but it runs better on ps5, same disc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People forget that the BC in the PS4 Pro was just underclocking the CPU and disabling part of the GPU to match the PS4 hardware. This was made to guarantee that all games would continue running as they did. All the other BC features Sony added to previous consoles were hardware based (including chips from the previous systems in the new one). So, how are they going to do it?

Its not close to the same magnitude of problem to solve, its going from x64 to x64.

ANIMAL1975

https://gamingbolt.com/id-be-surprised-if-the-ps5-were-not-backwards-compatible-npd-analyst

There have been reports that have suggested that the PS5 will end up having backwards compatibility, and that is something that NPD analyst Mat Piscatella agrees with as well. Recently, while speaking in an exclusive interview with GamingBolt, Piscatella said that he expects the PS5 to have backwards compatibility for the PS4’s library.

“I’d be surprised if the PS5 were not backwards compatible with PS4 content, and Sony already has a streaming solution in market with PlayStation Now,” Piscatella told GamingBolt. “It wouldn’t surprise me if both PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox took this type of approach, although I’m sure they’d do so in slightly different ways with different messaging.”
"Yay, they are going to separate Mat's comments into 30 different articles like they did with Hellpoint." - Hellpoint Dev

I think iu both a little bit of late to the show here _ link to the original thread : https:/neogaf.com//threads/npd-analist-to-give-interview-saying-id-be-surprised-if-the-ps5-were-not-backwards-compatible-hellpoint dev said.19696969/

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Not buying it if it aint. Ive spent way too much on my library this gen for it to be cast aside and I always have quite a few friends who unlike me, dont upgrade until a few years in, so it would be nice to still play with them on the new system.

I hope it becomes as natural as PC going forward.

ethomaz

Banned
Pro didn't have BC at all... it is a PS4 so it can run PS4 games natively without any change.

Games only needs changes to use the additional Pro power.

Last edited:
It's one of the make or break considerations for me. Plus with the increasing digital market, I can't see how hardware could not be BC.

Of course it will be. It's going to be the same x86 AMD tech as the PS4. The only reason they didn't do it with the PS3 was the stupid Cell.

C'mon, let's be honest here.

Sony could have spent time and resources to emulate around this and make the PS4 BC with PSX/PS2/PS3 (not unlike what Microsoft did with XBox/360 support on the XB1/X), but they chose to re-sell PSX/PS2/PS3 titles on an individual basis instead.

And honestly, the Cell processor didn't really suck--the architecture around it did.

Last edited:

Let's not count the PS3 era as wholly Backwards Compatible--maybe the first 1/3rd of it.

Sony eventually stripped out the PS2 hardware from the launch Phat PS3 (which allowed for PSX/PS2 BC) as a cost-cutting measure and went with a software solution starting with the MGS4 Bundle (in North America). After that bundle, that was it--Sony then killed PSX/PS2 software emulation in the PS3, as they realized they could make more money reselling old games instead of allowing gamers to play the games they already own.

This is the only reason I kept my PS3 Phat around in storage, since I don't have a working PSX or PS2 anymore.

sublimit

Banned
I'm also sure it will be compatible with digital PS4 games but the question is will it be backwards compatible with physical PS4 games as well? I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to pull a douche move like that in order to hurt the used market a bit more.

I've always sort of had the feeling that the PS5 would basically be a much more powerful PS4 Pro (so, same x86-64 architecture).

I doubt Sony will create a whole new OS (from scratch, I mean), and will just enhance Orbis to support new bits and bobs.

If they keep x86-64 and Orbis, it would simply be a case of ensuring a stable ABI so that PS4 games would literally just work. There might be some behind the scenes tweaks and redirection, but it would mostly be a case of maintaining the binary interface.

Playing PS4 games with higher frame rates, etc. would be rather excellent.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

They are going to use code compatible hardware (x86, AMD GPU) along with a similar GDDR shared memory pool. It will be easier than making the X play XB1 games.

C'mon, let's be honest here.

Sony could have spent time and resources to emulate around this and make the PS4 BC with PSX/PS2/PS3 (not unlike what Microsoft did with XBox/360 support on the XB1/X), but they chose to re-sell PSX/PS2/PS3 titles on an individual basis instead.

And honestly, the Cell processor didn't really suck--the architecture around it did.

Completely untrue. The Ps4 (and Pro) is not nearly powerful enough to emulate the PS3, brute force to compensate for specialized HW is often not a solution. PS5 might be able to do it, but that is a business decision.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Let's not count the PS3 era as wholly Backwards Compatible--maybe the first 1/3rd of it.

Sony eventually stripped out the PS2 hardware from the launch Phat PS3 (which allowed for PSX/PS2 BC) as a cost-cutting measure and went with a software solution starting with the MGS4 Bundle (in North America). After that bundle, that was it--Sony then killed PSX/PS2 software emulation in the PS3, as they realized they could make more money reselling old games instead of allowing gamers to play the games they already own.

This is the only reason I kept my PS3 Phat around in storage, since I don't have a working PSX or PS2 anymore.
Yeah. I keep forgetting which versions are ps2 BC. It’s the 20g & 60g? And the 80g mgs4 ps3?

Edit: all phat versions

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I don't understand why backwards compatibility isn't a standard thing across companies. From their corporate point of view I'm sure they stand to make much more money by incentivizing customers to stay in their ecosystem. If you lose all your games/saves/achievements/etc. every generation then it's much easier to just leave one brand for another, not so much when it carries over generation to generation. It's partly why I've stuck with Xbox for so long, even with all their failings.

Sony prefers making profit by selling you the same game over and over again (remakes,remasters and by buying the same digital classic games again due to PS1/PS2 digital library from your PS3 not carried over)

I just want my PSVR and PSVR games to work on PS5 til the next headset launches. When the PSVR2 does launch I'm hoping the new headset will offer improved visuals on first gen games.

Yeah. I keep forgetting which versions are ps2 BC. It’s the 20g & 60g? And the 80g mgs4 ps3?

Edit: all phat versions

20 and 60 GB versions had the PS2 chipset on the motherboard of the PS3 and were the launch 'Phat' consoles.

The 80 GB version was in the MGS4 bundle (again, North American release) and only had software emulation. After that bundle, Sony may have released the 80 GB Phat version briefly with software emulation on its own...but otherwise it was gone from the PS3 environment.

Conversely, the 360 played XBox games without a problem. Still dig out the 360 so I can get some NFL 2K5 and JSRF on. Really wish the XB1 had more original XBox titles set for BC.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
20 and 60 GB versions had the PS2 chipset on the motherboard of the PS3 and were the launch 'Phat' consoles.

The 80 GB version was in the MGS4 bundle (again, North American release) and only had software emulation. After that bundle, Sony may have released the 80 GB Phat version briefly with software emulation on its own...but otherwise it was gone from the PS3 environment.

Conversely, the 360 played XBox games without a problem. Still dig out the 360 so I can get some NFL 2K5 and JSRF on. Really wish the XB1 had more original XBox titles set for BC.
Thanks man. It’s been years since i checked. I think the mgs4 80 g bundle is NOT the same as the mgs4 gun metal ps3. I tried searching for these answers last year, but I kept getting mixed answers so I appreciate the confirmation.

Thanks man. It’s been years since i checked. I think the mgs4 80 g bundle is NOT the same as the mgs4 gun metal ps3. I tried searching for these answers last year, but I kept getting mixed answers so I appreciate the confirmation.

IIRC, you are correct--I don't believe the gun metal variant of PS3 ever had software emulation.

KOMANI

KOMANI
IIRC, you are correct--I don't believe the gun metal variant of PS3 ever had software emulation.
Yeah, which is a shame because the gun metal ps3 looked sooooo nice. I think the mgs4 ps3 bundle that’s BC with ps2 games runs about $600-$800.

Toecutter

Will it be backwards compatible though? I'm still salty about the Bluetooth remote control for PS3 not being PS4 compatible, despite there being no good reason... other than selling more PS4 remotes.

If I was too make a totally wild speculative guess, I'd lean more towards them looking at this as an opportunity to push PS Now, with PS4 titles being playable if you own them, while still making you pay the subscription fee.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I have a feeling we'll hear more about 60fps than Native 4K when the PlayStation 5 is revealed. I think they will announce that the PlayStation 5 is BC with PlayStation 4 and that you can play Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man at 60fps.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, and probably like Apple, they'll be praised by users for this innovation lol

Considering that nobody seemed to give a crap when PS3 had far more backwards compatibility with the two previous generations in their premium newly launched product and then it became THE features that would have Xbox KILL PS4... mmmh...

I doubt it will move the needle much if it is there in PS5, but it will be there because if it weren’t there there would be a massive bad customer backlash. I think PS5 will be BC with PS4.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we'll hear more about 60fps than Native 4K when the PlayStation 5 is revealed. I think they will announce that the PlayStation 5 is BC with PlayStation 4 and that you can play Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man at 60fps.

I thought I read that on consoles it’s easier said than done to run previously locked 30fps games up to 60fps on new hardware. Basically that it’s not as simple as playing the same game on PC after upgrading your graphics card?

Journey

Banned
Considering that nobody seemed to give a crap when PS3 had far more backwards compatibility with the two previous generations in their premium newly launched product and then it became THE features that would have Xbox KILL PS4... mmmh...

I doubt it will move the needle much if it is there in PS5, but it will be there because if it weren’t there there would be a massive bad customer backlash. I think PS5 will be BC with PS4.

I gave a crap, I had the 80GB fatty with the 4 card slots and SACD playback, it was a beast and I loved it. The huge issue is not just the BC removal, but the shameless double dip for games that could've easily just been backward compat games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I gave a crap, I had the 80GB fatty with the 4 card slots and SACD playback, it was a beast and I loved it. The huge issue is not just the BC removal, but the shameless double dip for games that could've easily just been backward compat games.

I did too... I enjoyed and still enjoy my launch EU PS3 60 GB... it was a premium console and, once you saw third parties leading with PS3 (it actually helped Xbox 360 titles to improve too, CPU wise), it even was under the gaming potential point of view. Very few people gave strong props to how BC was implemented on PS3... price and exclusive titles was far far more important to the major gaming populace.

VulcanRaven

I hope it will be but I have a feeling that companies would like to make remasters. I'm sure Rockstar would like to remaster RDR2 and make people buy it again.

cryptoadam

Banned
I hope it will be but I have a feeling that companies would like to make remasters. I'm sure Rockstar would like to remaster RDR2 and make people buy it again.

Yup this is where I am at. I think Sony will see too much money on the table to have BC. They can remaster every game they released this gen. 3rd parties probably thinking the same.

What is possible is that PSNOW will grow its PS4 library and you will have BC through PSNOW. But I don't see being able to put your disc of God of War in your PS5 and play it when they can re release the ultra 4k UHD edition.

Top Bottom