• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I’d Be Surprised If The Playstation 5 Were Not Backwards Compatible” – NPD Analyst.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe it will be but it doesn't matter at all.

New games are what move a system.

I hope even with BC Sony give make a Remaster of big titles like TLOU2... a 60fps version with improved graphics only for PS5 and I will buy it again.

Or free patch if it's BC.

NickFire

Yup this is where I am at. I think Sony will see too much money on the table to have BC. They can remaster every game they released this gen. 3rd parties probably thinking the same.

What is possible is that PSNOW will grow its PS4 library and you will have BC through PSNOW. But I don't see being able to put your disc of God of War in your PS5 and play it when they can re release the ultra 4k UHD edition.
I also suspect their desire to sell the same games again might cause them to leave it out. For me personally though, I will most likely switch back to MS if they leave it out (assuming they have it). Just my two cents.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The real question here is....are they going to do forward compatibility. Microsoft says they are, but I really believe that's a bad move from a business standpoint. I think it will confuse the audience and ultimately mean less purchases of Xbox 2 simply because money don't grow on trees and I just bought an X.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The real question here is....are they going to do forward compatibility. Microsoft says they are, but I really believe that's a bad move from a business standpoint. I think it will confuse the audience and ultimately mean less purchases of Xbox 2 simply because money don't grow on trees and I just bought an X.

Not to mention you are programming for the lowest common denominator which means you're not taking full advantage of the resources in your top box.

Maybe very early on you can do this, but it should not be for the life of the system. Like the new way of cross-gen instead of having two separate game skus.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I've never understood anybody but video-gamers considering this an actual good business decision.

Why make PS5 compatible with PS4 when you can sell both at the same time? As somebody who bought GTA5 on PS3 and then rebought it again on PS4 they got my money twice, why would they change?

Do you suddenly think Sony's real goal is to make gamers appreciative or is their job to make money?

Would I like backwards compatibility? EVERYBODY WOULD, except the people trying to make a profit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've never understood anybody but video-gamers considering this an actual good business decision.

Why make PS5 compatible with PS4 when you can sell both at the same time? As somebody who bought GTA5 on PS3 and then rebought it again on PS4 they got my money twice, why would they change?

Do you suddenly think Sony's real goal is to make gamers appreciative or is their job to make money?

Would I like backwards compatibility? EVERYBODY WOULD, except the people trying to make a profit.

They will make more money keeping people locked into the ecosystem much like Apple, much like Google much like Steam, etc. They know this, PSN has been built for that moving, hence them over time departing from the PS3's network.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
People forget that the BC in the PS4 Pro was just underclocking the CPU and disabling part of the GPU to match the PS4 hardware. This was made to guarantee that all games would continue running as they did. All the other BC features Sony added to previous consoles were hardware based (including chips from the previous systems in the new one). So, how are they going to do it?

Agreed. I'd be surprised with PS5 having no BC, but I'm not sure I'd care that much either.

I didn't buy PS4 at launch to play PS3 games as I have several for that.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Reason why i aint getting a ps4 pro.

At least the xbox one x has dolby atmos + uhd player and true 4k games.

The ps4 pro always felt kinda eh.. at best

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I thought I read that on consoles it’s easier said than done to run previously locked 30fps games up to 60fps on new hardware. Basically that it’s not as simple as playing the same game on PC after upgrading your graphics card?

They're still going to make consoles based on AMD hardware so the transition is going to be much easier. The CPU on current gen consoles were still rather weak and that's one of the reason why it held back from games going from 30-60fps.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

What helped this generation is that current gen consoles didn't launch with backwards compatibility. We saw Last of Us Remastered, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Uncharted collection and then Microsoft released BC on the Xbox console. So going forward, people are going to expect BC from Microsoft going forward and it's possible that Xbox One games might be available day one on the next gen Xbox console.

If Sony comes out and announce the PS5 and it doesn't have BC, I think they will be a big problem for them next generation if you were forced to buy the games over again. Not only that, people are going to want to play the PS4 AAA exclusives on the PS5 with a higher resolution and frame-rate.

I could be wrong, but I think it will be a back look for Sony.

Hinedorf

Banned
What helped this generation is that current gen consoles didn't launch with backwards compatibility. We saw Last of Us Remastered, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Uncharted collection and then Microsoft released BC on the Xbox console. So going forward, people are going to expect BC from Microsoft going forward and it's possible that Xbox One games might be available day one on the next gen Xbox console.

If Sony comes out and announce the PS5 and it doesn't have BC, I think they will be a big problem for them next generation if you were forced to buy the games over again. Not only that, people are going to want to play the PS4 AAA exclusives on the PS5 with a higher resolution and frame-rate.

I could be wrong, but I think it will be a back look for Sony.

I'll only speak for myself in this regard, I certainly hope I'm wrong and backwards compatibility is a thing. So here's my counterpoint to Microsoft being backwards compatible. They have absolutely nothing I'm missing from this generation that I'm remotely interested in. If you're telling me Sony is going to bend over on BC because Microsoft is doing it just does not make sense. Sony destroyed Microsoft because of the exclusives none of which would be on Microsoft's newer or older platform.

I make my living as a Microsoft certified pro and I've always been supportive of them until they lost me like a lot of customers during their last hardware launch and have done nothing since to win me back. BC only matters if there's content worth having and I would say as a consumer if the new Microsoft box is BC and the PS5 isn't, I'm still buying a PS5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'll only speak for myself in this regard, I certainly hope I'm wrong and backwards compatibility is a thing. So here's my counterpoint to Microsoft being backwards compatible. They have absolutely nothing I'm missing from this generation that I'm remotely interested in. If you're telling me Sony is going to bend over on BC because Microsoft is doing it just does not make sense. Sony destroyed Microsoft because of the exclusives none of which would be on Microsoft's newer or older platform.

I make my living as a Microsoft certified pro and I've always been supportive of them until they lost me like a lot of customers during their last hardware launch and have done nothing since to win me back. BC only matters if there's content worth having and I would say as a consumer if the new Microsoft box is BC and the PS5 isn't, I'm still buying a PS5.

It is about retaining people in the ecosystem because that retention moving forward is where all service based industries are headed and currently doing. Much like cell phones and PC. A lot has changed in the digital age over the past 5 years alone. They are a network based, PSN revenue machine now, so that network 'PlayStation Backbone' (there is that phrase again) is being built moving forward. It will turn more revenue for them having your all-in-one digital store moving forward. Much like Apple did breaking free and going with the x86 for future-proof growth.

The PS3 to PS4 was a tech issue. They are showing plenty of signs of trying to break off from the PS3 network (which is totally separate than the PS4/Vita one), from closing servers to now stripping PS3 games from Plus.

zwiggelbig

Sony is the biggest now with a massive lead on xbox.. that always causes a company to do something stupid.. so there is a chance they dont make it bc. But would it really be a dumb move? Their exclusives are so strong and lead is so big.. wil people really go to xbox just because no bc even if there aint good exclusiv

Last edited:
100% compatible with ps4, that goes without saying for obvious reasons.
If it's not BC with PS4 then SONY must of gone out there way to do that.
Now PS1/2/3 is the real question, emulators please SONY.

ps3 and what they are doing with it poisoned the well for me. I don't trust that they won't cut off backwards compability again.

What happens to digital games I bought on ps3? Where is the effort to let me play them on psn in the future? Oh it was a different architecture? So what are you going to do about it? Can I play ps1 and ps2 disks in my ps4?

They have made no indication that they value my past purchases at all.

Well it's simple, if Sony wants to convert many people who either have a PS4 or considered a PS4 into PS5 sales, it HAS to be BC.

In fact, considering that the PS5 will be the last Playstation console, and that Sony's catalogue and franchises will be it's only incentive going forward, they BETTER make it has BC as possible (including the PS3, especially since as always some more talented and less degenerately greedy nobodies can build emulators like RPCS3).

Last edited:

CeeJay

What?

I don't understand where your point of reference is coming from as the basis your opinion. As a consumer, why do you care about the business side of things so much? Surely as a consumer you want consumer oriented features to attract you to a product (not just gaming, anything) of which BC most certainly is. From the business point of view I think it's pretty obvious why a games console maker would have BC, they want to keep as many people within their eco-system as possible and BC is good for helping with that when transitioning from an end of life product to the next generation. In the short term, you may be able to sell a product twice but that's not great if a considerable chunk of your customer base go and spend their money somewhere else for a whole generation. If Sony don't have BC with PS5 while MS do with XB2 then its that kind of difference that will drive some people to get an Xbox instead of a PlayStation. At the start of this gen both of them didn't have BC and by the time that Xbox did bring the feature PS4 had already reached critical mass with its sales lead. It's pretty clear that part of Microsoft's strategy going forward is to keep people invested long term by offering more continuity of experience during that transition phase between hardware releases.

12Dannu123

PS5 may be compatible with PS4 games, however the question is whether people can insert PS4 disk into PS5. If not then you break compatibility with a large audience.

VertigoOA

Banned
If Ps5 doesn’t come out of the gate more powerful than its competition and doesn’t have BC I’m jumping ship back to Xbox.

Aside from Bloodborne and God of War (my two favorite single player games not the Witcher 3) I generally couldn’t give a shit about Sony’s exclusives. Mostly generic popcorn action games same as the ones that preceded it two weeks prior or blatant rip offs. Either that or overrated otaku niche trash.

Unless they pull another street fighter deal.... then they got me... again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PS5 may be compatible with PS4 games, however the question is whether people can insert PS4 disk into PS5. If not then you break compatibility with a large audience.

I can't see them replacing BD as a format for pressed media, so short of future devices being online-only I'd say its a sure bet that PS4 discs will work on a PS4 BC PS5.

B/C is the obvious move from a business standpoint, I simply cannot comprehend why they would elect to simply surrender the advantage they've built up over the PS4 gen when there shouldn't be major technological hurdles to overcome.

There's also the fact that at the start of this gen Xbox One had no B/C either, it took MS 2 years to implement it, so it was never a feature Sony needed to counter in their initial launch and marketing. This time it will likely be an element in play from the get-go, so they need an answer in order to maintain their edge, particularly in terms of populating online store-fronts from day 1.

Ozrimandias

Ps4 Compatibility : Its a must, basic feature for me, mandatory, the rage will grown fast if is not implemented. Sony may be the leader, but that's not important when starts a new gen and you start with the wrong foot.

Ps3 Compatibility: I doubt it, if Sony finds a way to implement it in a "Pro Model", i will buy it in a second. I had PS one classics and Ps2 Classics that will get lost because of lack of compatibility.

PS2 Compatibility: Doubt it, if Sony finds a way to implement PS3 Compatibility, maybe they can implement it?

PS1 Compatibility: Same

Hobbesian

Banned
The architecture should be there for it, so yeah, the PS5 should be amazing out of the gate. Especially if it features PRO enhancements to the older games.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think it will have BC. It has to...right?

If Sony release the PS5 that can't play PS4 games then they will become a laughing stock and it will piss off so many of their customers.

I don't expect PS1-3 BC but it NEEDS to have support for PS4 games.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I kinda expected no backwards compatibility when I jumped from PS3 to PS4, because of the clusterfuck that the PS3 architecture was. But now that we are presumably going from x86 architecture to x86 architecture, there is no excuse for sony not to think about it and ultimately offer it. I at least would be pretty pissed if I have to keep my PS4 hooked up during the launch period of the PS5, when there are not enough games on the new system to constantly keep me busy. It also hit me like a truck whenI "lost" access to all my digital purchases I made during the PS3 era. This better not happen again.

Top Bottom