• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

11th Anniversary of the Xbox One Reveal

In keeping with tradition, today marks the 11th anniversary of this phenomenal event that changed the gaming industry.

Ah, the memes—I will never forget the memes. The next watercooler moment, the dog’s jaw dropping in COD, TV TV TV sports, television, Don Mattrick, being able to watch TV on your TV. Good times.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Beginning of the dark days for Xbox

4e4cb20dacdca9ed48c18185dc1cf6f9.jpg

Last edited:

MacReady13

A total disaster that Xbox is still reeling from more than a decade later.
No they aren't. That is just Phil Spencer making an excuse as to why he alone has fucked up Xbox. To say that it fucked Xbox is bullshit. For a while the Xbone was selling well and had some pretty good 3rd party exclusives. They dropped the ball by not releasing enough quality 1st party games and in that time, Playstation 4 really took over. Then Phil decided to stop talking sales numbers and released Game Pass. And THAT is what truly fucked over Xbox, as we are witnessing today...

MayauMiao

Yes, but Don's last name rhymes with hat trick which is going to come in handy when I write my magnum opus rap song about the Xbox.
Phil's last name rhymes with spender, for someone who is only good at buying studios but not knowing what to do with them apart for closing/firing.

unlurkified

I remember watching it live trying to feel even an iota of excitement but couldn’t. Completely deflated the Xbox brand. The ensuring meme cycle was probably the best of all time though.

ZehDon

The reveal was bad, but it was the info that came out afterwards that sparked the hellfire. A shit console reveal with TV TV TV Sports is one thing, but for nearly thirty straight days, there was some new piece of information that made the Xbone worse and worse. A never ending storm of shit. All the way till E3, where they expected Titanfall to make people forget about everything, and they were swept up in a sea of Antonio Banderas gifs before Jack Trenton executed them live on stage in the greatest E3 moment of all time. I still think about how it all went down. What a fucking whirlwind.

JayK47

I guess I am weird. I like my Xbox One. It is a nice sleek cool quiet console with a much improved controller over the 360. I prefer the hardware over the PS4, but the PS4 has better games. I picked up the Xbox One mainly for Forza games. It does mostly collect dust, but that is because I prefer to game on PC, which Microsoft lets me do for all of their first party games.

This… doesn’t seem like an important anniversary to keep track of.

A poorly-conceived reveal of a poorly-conceived console.

It's extremely important because Xbox has never recovered from this day.
Series X is marked improvement in every possible way. It’s the lack of software that’s driving the poor cycle of the platform life, not the hardware that is at fault this go around.

It’s the exact opposite problem that Xbox One faced out of the gate.

Last edited:

Saber

At that time both me and my brother were watching(from work).
My first impression was: "I think I'm watching the wrong stream, maybe this is a not for the players or something"

Topher

Gold Member
Series X is marked improvement in every possible way. It’s the lack of software that’s driving the poor cycle of the platform life, not the hardware that is at fault this go around.

Xbox Series X suffers because of the problems that Xbox One introduced. An entire lack of confidence in Xbox.

Radical_3d

A total disaster that Xbox is still reeling from more than a decade later.
That is not true. In 2014 Spencer was promoted to head of Xbox and MS Studios. They had enough time and man power to direct their efforts to great games and traditional single player experiences. They just weren’t willing from the beginning. They are reeling from not making good first parties since 2010 and the dreaded Kinect.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Xbox as a brand has never recovered from this day though. From sales, trust, brand reputation, consumer interest, etc.. etc..

Xbox Series X suffers because of the problems that Xbox One introduced. An entire lack of confidence in Xbox.
Huh?

Series X suffers from distinct lack of first-party titles driving the hardware sales. It’s nothing to do with the hardware being perceived as weaker than the competition, missing key features, or not focusing enough on playing games. Those were the issues with Xbox One. Those issues are resolved and have been for a long time.

The issue now is lack of strong first-party games driving people to buy Xbox consoles.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Huh?

Series X suffers from distinct lack of first-party titles driving the hardware sales. It’s nothing to do with the hardware being perceived as weaker than the competition, missing key features, or not focusing enough on playing games. Those were the issues with Xbox One. Those issues are resolved and have been for a long time.

The issue now is lack of strong first-party games driving people to buy Xbox consoles.

You are describing a continuation of the problem. It started with Xbox One.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’ll be honest, I was kinda more excited for Xbox One at launch than PS4. It had Dead Rising 3, Forza, and Killer Instinct. Plus the Kinect workout video thing was genuinely really cool and useful.

Also it had the ultimate killer app during launch window:
Peggle 2

Top Bottom