• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

200 former Penn State players file petition to return Paterno statue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the whole last page. Someone brought up how well Joe Pa did in his last years as a coach a counterpoint to how much of a worthless scumbag he was. Some people would rather lie to themselves than admit they admired the worst people on earth. Their brain warps reality to soothe their conscience.

ironmang

Do they really buy into some kind of reality distortion field around their football program? They think Joe Paterno did nothing wrong?

I'm from around the area. Right after the shitstorm started a lot of people didn't think the football program should be punished at all. They thought what's done is done and there's no reason to punish current players and fans. I stopped bringing up the topic since I was quickly losing respect for most of the people I've known my whole life.

Krejlooc

Banned
I like this idea. Fuck each and every one of those 200 former Penn state players. Just shows why that program should have been killed. Too much of a cult there.

That statue was actually melted down and turned into Bronze Letters for the science building.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Read the whole last page. Someone brought up how well Joe Pa did in his last years as a coach a counterpoint to how much of a worthless scumbag he was. Some people would rather lie to themselves than admit they admired the worst people on earth. Their brain warps reality to soothe their conscience.

No, I brought up his good deeds around the campus and the way he was treated outside of his position as a football coach to try and show that this isn't solely an issue of "he good at football, he good man." People truly thought he was a great person and they're having trouble or outright refusing to acknowledge that he did terrible things, and I think that itself is worth investigating. I started out my first post saying that he and the school both should have been punished more than they originally got, and certainly more than what it was dropped down to. I mentioned that he wasn't a great coach in passing because it didn't matter and people still loved him. Nothing I said was to excuse him or the people supporting him, I just think it's fascinating that he gets this support and there are factors other than his teams' performance that caused it.

Paterno being a football coach let him run around and do whatever he wanted with confidence, including covering up and ignoring the ongoing abuse of children. Paterno seemingly being an angel on earth to that town is what caused his support to continue after the facts were out.

We have someone posting the narrative that Joe Paterno was a great man who cared about his students with his "grand experiment" in this very topic.

I don't think he's repeating the narrative as fact, just acknowledging it as a narrative that certainly does exist for some people.

I think the point is that while the Joe Pa myth is certainly based in winning at football, it was so strong because it supposedly went beyond just winning games. The Paterno library, player academic success, etc. He went above and beyond what people expect from a football coach, or so it goes.

No, I brought up his good deeds around the campus and the way he was treated outside of his position as a football coach to try and show that this isn't solely an issue of "he good at football, he good man." People truly thought he was a great person and they're having trouble or outright refusing to acknowledge that he did terrible things, and I think that itself is worth investigating. I started out my first post saying that he and the school both should have been punished more than they originally got, and certainly more than what it was dropped down to.
When people shout "409", they're talking about football. The whole school was about football, and the football program overtook the whole culture. That's why many Penn State fans took it as an attack on their identity when it was revealed that their football program, the soul of their school, was rotten to its core and that their hero was a monster. It's all about football, and that's why the program should have been wiped out and restarted from scratch.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
These people really aren't going to go away until they have literally everything back are they?

Like the NCAA already fucked up by basically rescinding the punishment and now they want their damn statue back that should have been melted down into scrap and the proceeds given to the victims.

Krejlooc

Banned
No, I brought up his good deeds around the campus and the way he was treated outside of his position as a football coach to try and show that this isn't solely an issue of "he good at football, he good man." People truly thought he was a great person and they're having trouble or outright refusing to acknowledge that he did terrible things, and I think that itself is worth investigating. I started out my first post saying that he and the school both should have been punished more than they originally got, and certainly more than what it was dropped down to.

He didn't have "good deeds" around campus. He threw a minuscule fraction of his football earnings around, specifically so he could propagate his narrative that his football program was exceptional and special, specifically to keep his program relevant. Much like when a politician donates a tiny amount of money for publicity (something Donald Trump does often)

You say it's not about football - you're blind. Those football players are not calling for his statue to return because he built a library. Look at the breakdown of the players who are calling for the return - most are from the era where he was winning national championships. Bullshit football isn't the reason they are calling for his statue to return.

akira28

put the shit back up. someone is going to want to destroy it and they can't do that if its not on site.

someone should steal a school bus and just ram it through the statue and the wall and call it a day.

He didn't have "good deeds" around campus. He threw a minuscule fraction of his football earnings around, specifically so he could propagate his narrative that his football program was exceptional and special, specifically to keep his program relevant. Much like when a politician donates a tiny amount of money for publicity (something Donald Drumpf does often)

[citation needed]

As someone who went to Penn State, I can say the hero-worship is awful here. But the demonizing of the man on this forum is just as ridiculous. Joe Paterno wasn't a god like some PSU students seem to think, but he isn't some caricature villain either. He was a man. A man who clearly made some mistakes in life. He did good things and bad things. Does he deserve a statue after what he did? Meh, I say no. But this idea that the good things he did had no altruistic intent behind it is delusional.

[citation needed]

As someone who went to Penn State, I can say the hero-worship is awful here. But the demonizing of the man on this forum is just as ridiculous. Joe Paterno wasn't a god like some PSU students seem to think, but he isn't some caricature villain either. He was a man. A man who clearly made some mistakes in life. He did good things and bad things. Does he deserve a statue after what he did? Meh, I say no. But this idea that the good things he did had no altruistic intent behind it is delusional.

Well, that answers your question right there.

Cyan

Banned
No, I brought up his good deeds around the campus and the way he was treated outside of his position as a football coach to try and show that this isn't solely an issue of "he good at football, he good man." People truly thought he was a great person and they're having trouble or outright refusing to acknowledge that he did terrible things, and I think that itself is worth investigating. I started out my first post saying that he and the school both should have been punished more than they originally got, and certainly more than what it was dropped down to. I mentioned that he wasn't a great coach in passing because it didn't matter and people still loved him. Nothing I said was to excuse him or the people supporting him, I just think it's fascinating that he gets this support and there are factors other than his teams' performance that caused it.

Paterno being a football coach let him run around and do whatever he wanted with confidence, including covering up and ignoring the ongoing abuse of children. Paterno seemingly being an angel on earth to that town is what caused his support to continue after the facts were out.

People only cared about JoePa because of football. If he was some Joe Nobody doing shit around town nobody would've given a shit. He put Penn St on the map in football, which probably helped them out in other areas, but the ultimate source was football. His whole thing was winning with class--winning football games--which ultimately of course turned out to be horseshit, but people want to hold onto it. Because of football.

There is no scenario where anyone outside his immediate family are still defending this guy if he wasn't a winning football coach.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from watching Penn State students riot after Paterno was dismissed. Get your priorities straight assholes.

Throw the statue in the ocean like fucking megatron and broadcast the tears of all Penn State alumni live for the world to see.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from watching Penn State students riot after Paterno was dismissed. Get your priorities straight assholes.

Throw the statue in the ocean like fucking megatron and broadcast the tears of all Penn State alumni live for the world to see.
One of the people everyone hated from my high school ended up on the Daily Show sobbing at the riots because of how unfair the press was being to Joe Pa's legacy. He's never gonna live it down.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, that answers your question right there.

That's not defending his actions. It's pointing out that he was a human and did some undeniably great things for people. He also did some unspeakably terrible things for people. Everybody needs to stop pretending that one side or the other didn't exist if we actually want to make progress. I'm all for saying the bad things he did outweigh the good enough that he shouldn't be idolized. He should be remembered most for being put in a position of power and failing the people who needed him to exorcise that power most. We should still see the good things he did and admit them. Not because it excuses the bad, but because it's very important for people to keep in mind that somebody can appear to be a great person but still do things we should never excuse.

The reason those people distort facts and ignore what they like is precisely "lol football."

You keep acting like I'm unfamiliar with PSU. I am not.

And Joe Pa's last 20 years weren't mediocre. Fuck, his teams appeared in 3 BCS bowl games in the last 20 years, winning 2.

Maybe not his last 20, but the last 10 it was clear the game passed him by.

He shat himself a couple times.

His "squeeky clean" program image fell apart with DOZENS of players getting arrested in a few year span.

Krejlooc

Banned
That's not defending his actions. It's pointing out that he was a human and did some undeniably great things for people. He also did some unspeakably terrible things for people. Everybody needs to stop pretending that one side or the other didn't exist if we actually want to make progress. I'm all for saying the bad things he did outweigh the good enough that he shouldn't be idolized. He should be remembered most for being put in a position of power and failing the people who needed him to exorcise that power most. We should still see the good things he did and admit them. Not because it excuses the bad, but because it's very important for people to keep in mind that somebody can appear to be a great person but still do things we should never excuse.

Progress towards what?

One of the people everyone hated from my high school ended up on the Daily Show sobbing at the riots because of how unfair the press was being to Joe Pa's legacy. He's never gonna live it down.

Always followed this story from a distance since I don't really care about football. I never knew there was a riot after he was fired. Like WTF? That's disgusting

Krejlooc

Banned
Maybe not his last 20, but the last 10 it was clear the game passed him by.

Penn State went 11-2 in 2008, played in a BCS bowl, and finished ranked #8 in the country. He followed that up by going 11-2 in 2009 and finishing ranked #8 in the country.

Penn State went 47-17 in his last 5 seasons.

Sure.

Penn State went 11-2 in 2008, played in a BCS bowl, and finished ranked #8 in the country. He followed that up by going 11-2 in 2009 and finishing ranked #8 in the country.

Sure.

I don't know what you want me to say.

It was well documented that in his last 3-4 years he wasn't calling plays at all, and was more of a figurehead.

Let's be honest the Big 10 as a whole towards the end of Joe Pa's tenure was pretty damn weak. It was OSU/UM/PSU.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't know what you want me to say.

Well I'd like you to say that this myth that people didn't care about joe paterno's brand of football by the end of his career is bullshit, because it was. Who cares if he called plays, the contention was that by the end of his career, PSU football wasn't relevant so allegations that he was all about football life don't apply... except that's clearly not the case. PSU football was still elite right up until the moment they fired him. Football was still central to his legacy. His teams weren't "mediocre" the last 20 years, 10 years, 5 years, whatever bullshit year span people want to throw out to help him save face.

Always followed this story from a distance since I don't really care about football. I never knew there was a riot after he was fired. Like WTF? That's disgusting
Oh, of course. I mean you still see students taking pictures with cardboard cutouts of dear old Joe Pa, even though he was in hell before they even applied to Penn State.

Well I'd like you to say that this myth that people didn't care about joe paterno's brand of football by the end of his career is bullshit, because it was. Who cares if he called plays, the contention was that by the end of his career, PSU football wasn't relevant so allegations that he was all about football life don't apply... except that's clearly not the case. PSU football was still elite right up until the moment they fired him. Football was still central to his legacy. His teams weren't "mediocre" the last 20 years, 10 years, 5 years, whatever bullshit year span people want to throw out to help him save face.

I never liked the man.

I never liked how he had a holier than thou attitude.

He was the face on the cult of personality he facilitated.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2008/6/10/549568/outside-the-lines-is-cross

Sure.

It's off-topic, but this is in the Big 10. It's not exactly difficult to do well there. *Rimshot*

And I'd melt the statue into the shape of an ass (animal or anus, take your pick!) and plant it on top of his grave.

To be honest, it might be a monkey's paw thing to let them put the statue back up. No way they keep graffiti off of it for more than a day. And it would be swiftly replaced if cleaned.

Krejlooc

Banned
I never liked the man.

I never liked how he had a holier than thou attitude.

He was the face on the cult of personality he facilitated.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2008/6/10/549568/outside-the-lines-is-cross
neat, but none of that has anything to do with what we were talking about. The conversation was about bullshit reasons people worship Joe Paterno. A PSU fan is trying to claim that the PSU product had fallen off, that PSU football was "bad to mediocre" by the end, and thus the good will PSU fans give Joe Paterno is not because of the cult of PSU football, but because of something else. To quote,

Hero worship only starts to describe how he was treated. And being a mediocre to bad football coach like he was for the last 20 years or so of his career doesn't get you that kind of treatment.

Seriously?

You should pay attention to the conversation before jumping in.

Cyan

Banned

I'm not sure what progress you think we should be aiming for or can even make. The defenders aren't saying "well yes this was bad but he also did some good," they straight-up refuse to believe he did anything wrong. If we acknowledge that he also did some good things, are they going to go "oh thanks for that acknowledgement, now I will admit that he covered up for Sandusky"? Of course not. The crime here is so heinous that the only way they can justify continuing to deify JoePa is if the whole thing was a smear job.

Like, imagine that both sides reach a compromise. The statue of JoePa goes back up, and it says "congrats on 409 wins and doing great things for the community." And then behind it is another statue of a child screaming that says "this was the price of those wins" or something. Would JoePa fans be ok with that? Or hell, tone it down. Just list the number of abused children right below the number of wins. Would they even be ok with that? Of course not, because again, that would require acknowledging that JoePa did something wrong.

pompidu

Some hero, his career was based on ripping of football players for millions of dollars, for over 50 years. Not a single player made a single cent while him, the administration laughed all the way to the bank.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm cringing to think of how many of those signees probably don't hate Sandusky either.

But to people who say the current program shouldn't be punished, it's only a matter of looking at where they were before the abuse was being brushed under the rug, then seeing the incredible financial gains and clout in the world they got as a direct result of keeping things secret. The program as we know it to be is built on lies, it wouldn't be where it was without them.

platocplx

How will people learn what he did waa wrong by celebrating him
He failed many many kids in ways so much worse than the way he helped these guys.

neat, but none of that has anything to do with what we were talking about. The conversation was about bullshit reasons people worship Joe Paterno. A PSU fan is trying to claim that the PSU product had fallen off, that PSU football was "bad to mediocre" by the end, and thus the good will PSU fans give Joe Paterno is not because of the cult of PSU football, but because of something else. To quote,

Seriously?

You should pay attention to the conversation before jumping in.

PSU struggled in the early 00's.

They had some good years, but mainly took advantage of a downtrodden BIg10, especially when sanctions were levied against OSU.

Now the team is a wreck, the cult ran Bill O'Brien out of town, and replaced him with a snake oil salesman as a HC who had his own rape controversy of his own at Vandy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm cringing to think of how many of those signees probably don't hate Sandusky either.

But to people who say the current program shouldn't be punished, it's only a matter of looking at where they were before the abuse was being brushed under the rug, then seeing the incredible financial gains and clout in the world they got as a direct result of keeping things secret. The program as we know it to be is built on lies, it wouldn't be where it was without them.

No i think 99% of Penn State fans hate Sandusky as much as anyone else in this world.

But probably more for what impact he had on the football program as a result of his crimes and not necessarily for what he did to those kids.

No i think 99% of Penn State fans hate Sandusky as much as anyone else in this world.

But probably more for what impact he had on the football program as a result of his crimes and not necessarily for what he did to those kids.

Bingo.

They hate the Dusky because it tarnished Untouchable Joe

Alucrid

Banned
if they're going to restore the statue of paterno to "corrected the false narrative" then they should have a statue of sandusky and a kid in the locker room to solidify the true narrative too

Krejlooc

Banned
PSU struggled in the early 00's.

They had some good years, but mainly took advantage of a downtrodden BIg10, especially when sanctions were levied against OSU.

Now the team is a wreck, the cult ran Bill O'Brien out of town, and replaced him with a snake oil salesman as a HC who had his own rape controversy of his own at Vandy.

they struggled in the early 00's, and then they came back and Joe Pa approached the all-time wins record.

Again, I don't know what the hell you're trying to prove here? You think the riots when they fired Joe Pa are because people were just so wild about graduation rates? It was literally all about football success. People worship Joe Paterno because he built a winning football program. Period.

they struggled in the early 00's, and then they came back and Joe Pa approached the all-time wins record.

Again, I don't know what the hell you're trying to prove here? You think the riots when they fired Joe Pa are because people were just so wild about graduation rates? It was literally all about football success. People worship Joe Paterno because he built a winning football program. Period.
I think this is pretty evident in the push to reinstate the #409 wins. It's about football. Everything at Penn State was about football.

I live in PA, and still see cars all over the place with "409" bumper stickers on the back.

Its kind of nice, pretty much immediately lets me know they're a moron

Well duh;

Joe Pa built the cult brick by brick.

There's isn't much to do in the middle of no where on the PSU campus.

I wish the NCAA actually did give them the death penalty just to see that little town go belly up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm not sure what progress you think we should be aiming for or can even make. The defenders aren't saying "well yes this was bad but he also did some good," they straight-up refuse to believe he did anything wrong. If we acknowledge that he also did some good things, are they going to go "oh thanks for that acknowledgement, now I will admit that he covered up for Sandusky"? Of course not. The crime here is so heinous that the only way they can justify continuing to deify JoePa is if the whole thing was a smear job.

Like, imagine that both sides reach a compromise. The statue of JoePa goes back up, and it says "congrats on 409 wins and doing great things for the community." And then behind it is another statue of a child screaming that says "this was the price of those wins" or something. Would JoePa fans be ok with that? Or hell, tone it down. Just list the number of abused children right below the number of wins. Would they even be ok with that? Of course not, because again, that would require acknowledging that JoePa did something wrong.

For one, there's progress to be made in that people who recognize he did awful things won't recognize he also did good. Two sides are oversimplifying this entire situation and as a result nobody is actually thinking about what happened or why. And taking the absurd position that everything he ever did was because of greed will never allow anybody who defends him out of ignorance to step up and learn.

Krejlooc

Banned
I think this is pretty evident in the push to reinstate the #409 wins. It's about football. Everything at Penn State was about football.

Case in point, the only time I ever heard anyone seriously talk about Joe Paterno stepping down was after his 3-9 season and 4-7 season. And then he followed it up with an 11-1 season and suddenly it was back to worshipping Joe Pa all over again. in fact, I remember an interview on ESPN during those years where someone asked him directly what he had to say to the alumni calling for him to retire, and he replied "11 and 1."

Krejlooc

Banned
For one, there's progress to be made in that people who recognize he did awful things won't recognize he also did good. Two sides are oversimplifying this entire situation and as a result nobody is actually thinking about what happened or why. And taking the absurd position that everything he ever did was because of greed will never allow anybody who defends him out of ignorance to step up and learn.

I don't think the way to make those who defend Joe Paterno "step up and learn" is to deify him and make his contributions about more than football. Because it wasn't. Literally everything was about his football empire.

There is nothing to oversimplify, because it's an astoundingly simple situation - football was his life blood, and he did absolutely everything to make his brand of football special and overly important.

Nobody gives a shit that about him raising money for a library. Nobody is calling for his football wins to come back because he graduated students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom