• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 US Tornado Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't even tell how wide it is anymore, rain wrapped, just a huge dark area.

Edit : As soon as I say that then it clears up and becomes visible.

Cowley County.

There's also a very violent F4 north of Edmond, OK (one moved through Edmond earlier) and a cell that could likely form a tornado moving toward Norman, OK.

Man. My sister goes to college at a little school in that area. Glad she's back in Texas for now, even though the DFW area had some storm problems earlier this week.

Tulsa GAF represent!

qKtjCZp.jpg
yiss

Damn!

Based on the SPC's 4-5 day forecast from last week, you knew some serious crap was going to go down.

This time of year is why I rent a place with a basement!

Butane123

I was just south of the storm in Norman. Watched the whole thing move to the East from outside. That was easily the most rotation I have seen in a storm.

ISOM

I find it interesting how tornadoes are incredibly rare outside North America.

Pretty much all tornadoes on earth occur in the U.S.

I saw a tornado picture in italy a couple of weeks ago so it's not totally a U.S. occurence, although I do think a majority of it does happen in the U.S.

I saw a tornado picture in italy a couple of weeks ago so it's not totally a U.S. occurence, although I do think a majority of it does happen in the U.S.
It's a mixed bag... that same severe weather (e.g. regular rain) is also the reason that the central US is such great farmland.

Holy mother of god, I'm so glad I don't live in tornado alley

It's not so bad. I overcame my fear for storms a long time ago. Last week when the sirens were going off in Dallas, I was sitting on the balcony enjoying a beer and reading GAF. I live on the top floor of my building, not much I can really do. Not the smartest thing one could do but whatever. Though, what they are dealing with in OK seems worse than what we got in Dallas proper.

I just hope everyone dealing with it right now is ok.

I was just south of the storm in Norman. Watched the whole thing move to the East from outside. That was easily the most rotation I have seen in a storm.

I was on the OU campus in Norman, entire sky was black.
Bunch of people in the physical sciences center with dogs and pet kennels.

Butane123

I was on the OU campus in Norman, entire sky was black.
Bunch of people in the physical sciences center with dogs and pet kennels.
Yeah, I'm near Lindsey and E 24th. It didn't even rain here, so a few of us in the cul de sac just watched it outside. Had a clear view of everything, but it was mostly rain wrapped at that point. Had one of the TV helicopters hovering just to the South on 9.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Stay safe you all. I'm in Arkansas, not sure it'll get here or not.

Watching that KFOR live stream, they're saying at least 2 EF-4's today and possibly a 5.

And they're confirming fatalities in that trailer park already.

Seanspeed

Banned
Watched that whole live stream as the first one in Edmond formed. Its terrible, but man I was totally captivated.

And then that trailer park from the 2nd big one - jeez. Thats brutal. Total devastation. :(

Konka

Banned
Okay I'll say it. Why do we continue to build woodframe houses in Tornado Ally? I would feel a lot safer here in the stone masonry house that I live in in Pittsburgh if a Tornado came this way. Hell, there is space below the concrete floor porch in the basement. Is building homes with stone and brick too expensive?

Meh: Looked it up just after I posted and stone and brick are done at F4. But still better than wood for weaker ones.

Butane123

Okay I'll say it. Why do we continue to build woodframe houses in Tornado Ally? I would feel a lot safer here in the stone masonry house that I live in in Pittsburgh if a Tornado came this way. Hell, there is space below the concrete floor porch in the basement. Is building homes with stone and brick too expensive?
A lot of the houses around here are lined with brick, and a lot only receive minor damage from most tornadoes. With the big ones (EF3-5), which aren't really common, it wouldn't matter what they're made of. They would still be badly damaged.

And a lot of us around here don't have basements because of a low water table.

JdFoX187

Banned
Was up in Oklahoma City yesterday to see Star Trek when the tornadoes hit. What a mess. Got hit several times in the head with some fairly large hail, too. Hope any GAFers in the area are safe.

slit

Watched that whole live stream as the first one in Edmond formed. Its terrible, but man I was totally captivated.

And then that trailer park from the 2nd big one - jeez. Thats brutal. Total devastation. :(

You'd have to be nuts to live in a trailer in that part of the country.

A lot of the houses around here are lined with brick, and a lot only receive minor damage from most tornadoes. With the big ones (EF3-5), which aren't really common, it wouldn't matter what they're made of. They would still be badly damaged.

And a lot of us around here don't have basements because of a low water table.

I'm just going off of this year and last year but it seems like North of the Red River, you guys get a handful of freaking giant tornadoes and in Texas we get a bunch of little ones.

You used to chase storms. Is this an actual thing or am I just imagining it?

Also, glad you're ok man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom