• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 US Tornado Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Yup they say it's following the May 3rd track. Luckily I'm on the north side where we're having small hail and it's dark as hell here. Mile wide debris ball they're saying. without a doubt F4 plus and no sign of lifting.

Butane123

This is not good...

BKvBabLCYAA-7De.png

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We're in some shit down here in OK folks. FUCK

I've gotten so used to growing up in Tornado Alley that I don't even really care about tornadoes anymore, honestly.

I'm the exact opposite of this. I can't imagine what it's like living in a place that so commonly gets tornadoes. They're so big (reaching all the way up to the sky, that's one tall piece of death) and loud and scary looking. I don't know how you people do it. But from this and speaking to other people it seems like living there creates in you some kind of super level 99 apathy. The tornadoes are like aren't you scared lil man? green lightning sideways rain RRaRwwrWR!!! and these people are like yeah whatever eff off.

KingGondo

Banned
In Pauls Valley right now thankfully.

This one sounds really, really bad. Reports of destroyed neighborhoods already.

Take care, fellow Okies.

Seanspeed

Banned
The big one broke up.

For the moment.....

Wow, that was bad. That was so bad. Went through some properly populated areas at its height of strength. There's going to be some heartbraking scenes here soon of the damage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty wild, glad it dissipated, but any second something can be new.

UberTag

The big one broke up.

For the moment.....

Wow, that was bad. That was so bad. Went through some properly populated areas at its height of strength. There's going to be some heartbraking scenes here soon of the damage.
Sounds like Briarwood Elementary School got a direct hit and kids are trapped inside. Some pretty dramatic footage from the site right now.

iboh

Banned
Sadly, growing up and Living in Okc/Edmond this is an annual thing. Not usually to this degree, but still its Tornado Season. The one yesterday dropped a mile east of my house, did some damage and I believe killed at least one person.

The one today was 1.25 miles wide at one point, then split in two, then became a small funnel. Its creepy to watch, and the destruction caused today is awful. I hate seeing this, and might have to volunteer some to help get this stuff cleaned up and help the people that need it.

The weird thing, is it ALWAYS hits newcastle and moore, ok. Its tornado alley for a reason, and tornadoes literally take that path every year

cajunator

Banned
I think we had a hailstorm the past saturday in the lafayette, LA area. kinda wonder if there were any tornadoes that touched down then.

nope. The worst of the weather was to the west, around Deridder. There were tornadoes in that one but they were weak. flooded the shit out of some houses too.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
This one crossed two blocks south of me. Barely escaped the notorious May 3rd tornado as well. I'm tired of playing this lottery.

Hope everyone is safe.

Milchjon

I hope this isn't inappropriate at this point, but watching CNN as a European, I can't help but ask: How do different types of construction react to these kinds of storms? American houses look so flimsy. Would brick and concrete houses be affected just as badly?

The images look horrific.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I hope this isn't inappropriate at this point, but watching CNN as a European, I can't help but ask: How do different types of construction react to these kinds of storms? American houses look so flimsy. Would brick and concrete houses be affected just as badly?

The images look horrific.

This was an f4/f5. No structure can survive. Luckily, most of the homes in the path should have a storm cellar, since those neighborhoods have been hit before.

LegoDad

When I move to OKC soon, I'm not moving to the east side.. it's always getting hit.

This is horrible. That elementary school is complete gone.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
KFOR meteorologist saying this was probably an F5 and much wider and causing more devestation than the 1999 tornado.

Mike Morgan is prone to hyperbole. This tornado lifted at Sooner road. 1999 tornado didn't lift for another several miles, through Midwest City. Don't think this one caused more damage.

Seanspeed

Banned
She said "Post-tornadic."
Thats what the weather person was saying. She was repeating it as 'post-traumatic'.

Anyways, watched the whole track of devastation. That couldn't have been any worse.

@Milchjon - they're not flimsy(apart from the trailer parks). Large tornados like this are pretty much unimaginably powerful. Especially compared to anything you've experienced from storms in Germany. You'd have to build some seriously heavily reinforced framing to stop from experiencing devastation.

JdFoX187

Banned
Fucking A. Was just in that area yesterday. It's entirely leveled now.

Jesus...I mean yeah, tornadoes are normal here. But fuck...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom