• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

E-phonk

Banned
Going to sleep as it's 1 in the night here, but mods feel free to update the OP with relevant info, as most of non UK eu gaf will wake up with this news.

We don't know that.

Reports of an explosion. Confirmed fatalities. They could people getting trampled trying to get out of the venue. They could be people killed in an explosion. We don't know yet. Either way it's all kinds of horrible.

Yeah I understand, like I said about clarity, it's all speculation until official sources can point to things specifically.

pulsemyne

If it's the picture I saw of what appears to be blood and bodies, there are tweets saying it's actually from a training video. So it's a case of taking anything like that with a large amount of scepticism. Wait until they're verified before fearing the worst.

As with all social media. Still it is pretty grim.

Fucking hell, just down the road. RIP to the victims.

The explosion was not confirmed by police.

"Reports of an explosion" is not confirming an explosion.

Even if it was an explosion, it's too soon to know origins let alone whether there was a motive.
Already copped it. Misread police statement.

Uh, did you read it? You might want to re-read it

You're telling me that fatalities and injuries don't happen during mass panics? When thousands of people are running over each other?

There was a false alarm in a mall in NC last year where there were multiple injuries and that was in a mall, where there is much more room to move.

BraXzy

Saw this popping up on Twitter/Facebook an hour ago. I really hoped it was overstated but.. just checked and seen the fatalities confirmation. Fuck.

Thoughts go out to the friends and families of those affected. What an awful thing to happen, and the majority there will have been young based on the gig.

We live in scary ass times... I park down the road from the place. Do we know the cause of the explosions?

Manchester GAF reporting in. Fucking hell, this sounds horrific, it'll mostly be teens at this concert too. I feel sick. My friend works nearby, said there are police everywhere, evacuating surrounding areas and blocking incoming routes.

Just got the BBC newsflash about this. Manchester is my hometown (since moved away) I was in the city in 96 for the IRA attack as a teen. Horrifying to hear about this. Heartbroken.

You're telling me that fatalities and injuries don't happen during mass panics? When thousands of people are running over each other?

There was a false alarm in a mall in NC last year where there were multiple injuries and that was in a mall, where there is much more room to move.

The odds of their being multiple fatalities from just that is I think pretty low of that is what he meant. We'll see, but I feel that's a grasp towards optimism

Weckum

Damn, if this is true:

An official came onstage and explained the noise was nothing but it was too late - panicked people crushed, hurt - hundreds of kids in tears

@sophie_charity @terrihyphenann Sound of an explosion, people ran back into the arena, panicked! @ShowsecUK were useless

https://twitter.com/Iankershaw/status/866775694981955585

That would be horrible.

The odds of their being multiple fatalities from just that is I think pretty low of that is what he meant. We'll see, but I feel that's a grasp towards optimism

It's not optimistic to learn that people died because large of groups of people are dangerous when scared, it's a dangerous reminder of how fragile we are. It's also actually very real, the Liverpool match crush shows exactly how bad these things can be.

kulapik

Maybe the fatalities are due to the rush of people trying to leave the stadium after the noise? Something similar happened in Madrid

MIMIC

Banned
Sooooooo....according to an eye witness on BBC News (inside the venue), the concert had just ended when the "noise" occurred. And then someone screamed "it's a bomb" and then panic ensured.

She reports that there was no smoke, light, or smell from the noise....just the "sound " (from her point of view, at least)

Tagyhag

Just a guess, but what if both those tweets are right? Those balloons exploded and maybe didn't hurt people but instead the panic caused people to get hurt in the ensuing trampling.

Gradon

Some of my friends were there, I've heard they're fine. Fright of my life. One of them said it was nothing like a balloon popping or a speaker blasting like some reports.... My god this is so close to me it's fucking horrible. I think all of my friends are okay, I don't know how many went to the concert.

Top Bottom