• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Audioboxer

Hrothgar

Helium is a gas.

But Helium is not explosive, and you dont need high pressures to let a Helium Balloon float so a sudden rupture of a balloon shouldnt be able to send people flying (if that happened, no idea yet)

I cant imagine these were filled with Hydrogen or Oxygen.

Syder

Can you post articles or is it just on TV?
Both TV channels have had eyewitnesses on. Apart from the guy saying he was 'blown back 30 feet' there hasn't been anyone saying they saw an explosion, only that they heard it. There was an explosion but we don't know if it caused the injuries directly or the ensuing panic caused a crush of people.

We just have to wait for more updates. Manchester Police say that a casualty bureau will be opening up soon.

Are you not familiar with the Hillsborough disaster?

That was like 20 years ago though wasn't it? And the cause of that crash and the cause of this crush being entirely different.

The conclusions you can take from this tragic accident (if it is an accident) are just deeply saddening to me and makes me furious.

But like I said, it's speculation until official word comes in

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
from BBC News

explosion was near the foyer (ticket office outside) where people were waiting not the auditorium

still not saying bomb

riotous

Banned
Speculating is one thing, but why are so many people making statements of fact?

This is speculation, so feel free to disregard it, but if it was a terrorist attack wouldn't the timing be suspect? Why do it at the end of the show when people are filing out and the lights are up as opposed to when the venue is packed during the show?

You don't have to enter a venue to get close to an exit. Security has generally cleared away and are letting people out en masse.

Just heard on BBC radio that the explosion was confirmed to be in the foyer / box office area. Can't imagine many balloons there.

Really fucking evil if terrorists deliberately targeted a concert full of teenagers.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There is no getting it straight right now. Just panicked eyewitness accounts and Twitter conjecture.

Yes, gotta keep that in mind.
People should avoid posting random twitter sources though.

FYI, helium is a non-flammable gas and wouldn't cause the explosion that was apparently seen in the dash cam video. You guys are thinking of hydrogen, which could do that, but would be an inexcusable safety hazard to use at a concert.

Can you please stop saying this? British police have confirmed an explosion and there are casualties. Only the cause for the explosion hasn't been confirmed.

If you're in the UK put on BBC news.
Did you read the post I quoted? Also they haven't confirmed an explosion. They confirmed reports of an explosion. I got that wrong earlier, too.

Jag

There is some serious misinformation in this thread. Can we link to some actual news outlets and leave the bullshit out? The hell.

For all the shit it gets, Reddit does a decent job of tracking these things linking to legitimate sources. Not always, but it's a pretty good news aggregator.

Mully

HANDBOOK.JPG

One of the Twitter comments

1h
Gisela Crespo @GiselaCres
Replying to @hannawwh
Hi @hannawwh Hope you're ok. Did you take this video? If so, do you give CNN permission to use on all platforms/affiliates in perpetuity
seems a bit sleazy, get hope you're fine sure whatever but while you're in a state of shock and panic please sign away all rights to this amateur video

entremet

from BBC News

explosion was near the foyer (ticket office outside) where people were waiting not the auditorium

still not saying bomb
It just happened. Why would they say anything yet other than confirmations of deaths, which leaves bodies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Can you please stop saying this? British police have confirmed an explosion and there are casualties. Only the cause for the explosion hasn't been confirmed.

Dude was asking if it were true that the explosion didn't kill anyone and that all deaths were related to trampling. We don't know.

Izuna

Banned
It's also connected to Manchester Victoria station, literally a hundred meters from where my brothers live... just had to confirm they didn't walk past this on their way home. Apparently they could hear the explosion.

RIP to the dead.

Fuck whomever did this

nampad

Hillsborough caused protocol to change to avoid similar disasters

They only can do so much, a stampede caused by panic will still lead to casualties even with the best preparations.
Also, humans can fuck up the planning stage.

Love Parade in Duisburg (Germany) is an example where people fucked up and even though everybody already knew how dangerous stampedes can be.

Wes

venison crêpe
Neither BBC News, BBC Radio Five Live nor Sky News are reporting that fatality figure the MSNBC have stated here in the UK.

MIMIC

Banned
MSNBC just threw up that dash cam footage with no explanation or context, while Chris Matthews just talked over it.

SMH

I'm watching BBC news. The person I was replying to was under the impression people were killed in a stampede. We simply don't know what caused the explosion or what caused the fatalities until it's confirmed by officials.

DrSlek

People are seriously positing that helium filled balloons exploded and killed 20 people?

Come the fuck on.

This was an IED.

Could be an IED, or it could be poor use/storage of pyrotechnics. We just don't know yet. So everybody chill the fuck out with all the speculation!

iMax

From what I can tell, the balloons are just "normal" balloons and are the same size as normal balloons. There are lots of them but their buoyancy doesn't look at all unusual.

Guys use your fucking brains. A helium balloon doesn't explode with fire and it doesn't send people traveling 30 feet.

None of what has been said makes sense. It's all Confusion and panic.

Feces? That's odd...I've never heard of people getting that on them when there's been an explosion or whatever has caused the injuries. Not trying to make light of the situation, just strange thing to say is on you

To go into detail would be bad taste, but yes you would get that on you if the injuries and damage is as bad as that eyewitness describes.

Carn82

Feces? That's odd...I've never heard of people getting that on them when there's been an explosion or whatever has caused the injuries. Not trying to make light of the situation, just strange thing to say is on you

Could be a very unfortunate typo..

Top Bottom