• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 minutes of Final Fantasy XVI Revealed at the State of Play

Brigandier

I didnt derail anything. Its a thread about the video which I commented on. These threads are not "only" for circle jerking and hype there for all sides opinions.

Stop acting like any graphics talk here is some existential crisis that needs to be snuffed out immediatly if your to save the industry from the big bad meanie graphics whores.

Constructive criticism is good it's healthy and people are entitled to their opinions but I will laugh at them or call them out if it's clearly bollocks, I won't even try to snuff people's opinions out as you put it if it's good criticism.

A crisis to me is dealing with losing my house or death in my family it's absolutely fuck all to do with video games so I'm not sure what your comment even means.

You'll find the graphics talk in this thread is "PS2 levels" "looks like a PS3 game" "looks dated and shit" which is total fucking bullshit and you know it that's what some people have had enough with and rightfully so.

vpance

Some lovely music and the battle theme already sounds iconic, the composer Soken will make a splash here.

Been saying this for a while that the set pieces would be the new God of War games to shame.

Well it was always going to with the new GoWs basically completely giving that up.

Eventually SE was going to figure it all out. Towns, set pieces, render tech.. and it's a sight to behold :messenger_relieved:

lyan

When the full price jumps $10 and requires and additional $500 just to be elligable too purchase it matters.

What exactly is the $10 for if the budget didnt move an inch? What are we paying for? Just the right to keep being a JRPG gamer like some entertainment tax?

If you raise the price you got to raise the value as well.
Inflation? Video game prices stayed for decades.
Meanwhile everything not-video-game keeps getting more expensive.

semiconscious

Gold Member
i love final fantasy xiv, & i really wanna give this game a chance - but, i'm still not really seeing anything that's grabbing me. environmentally, especially, it continues to all look just sorta generic to me...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
environmentally, especially, it continues to all look just sorta generic to me...
Yes very "generic"...../s
FYlMqSU.jpg

It is visually overwhelming, imo. Whether that is a positive or a negative, depends entirely on one's tastes (as almost all things we consume do...). Just hoping that the story has gotten as much attention as the overall presentation.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Seems like it'll be a polarizing game. I thought it looked great

Nah it's just the usual group of naysayers and jaded gamers. Resident Evil 4 Remake went through the same shit a couple months before release. Even on Gaf there were a lot of people being a stick in the mud about the game not looking good, not playing good, "not grabbing me", etc etc.

Then the game came out and made almost every drop their fucking pants within a couple hours of playing.

It is visually overwhelming, imo. Whether that is a positive or a negative, depends entirely of one's tastes. Just hoping that the story has gotten as much attention as the overall presentation.

You should be able to tell just from the trailers and the way Yoshi-P talks about it that they are trying to tell a clear, concise, and well written story. This is the same writer who wrote Heavensward for FFXIV, which was highly praised. This isn't going to be a situation like with FFXIII, XV, or the Kingdom Hearts games where the "Rule of Cool" takes precedence over the story making sense, where the writers have the brains of a 14 year old. This is CBU3, these guys know what they're doing. Yoshi-P is fantastic leader, this won't be mismanaged like FFXV was.

228.png

I'm sure the first point will trigger the fuck outta some people on here.

Nah it's just the usual group of naysayers and jaded gamers. Resident Evil 4 Remake went through the same shit a couple months before release. Even on Gaf there were a lot of people being a stick in the mud about the game not looking good, not playing good, "not grabbing me", etc etc.

Then the game came out and made almost every drop their fucking pants within a couple hours of playing.

You should be able to tell just from the trailers and the way Yoshi-P talks about it that they are trying to tell a clear, concise, and well written story. This is the same writer who wrote Heavensward for FFXIV, which was highly praised. This isn't going to be a situation like with FFXIII, XV, or the Kingdom Hearts games where the "Rule of Cool" takes precedence over the story making sense, where the writers have the brains of a 14 year old. This is CBU3, these guys know what they're doing. Yoshi-P is fantastic leader, this won't be mismanaged like FFXV was.

228.png

I'm sure the first point will trigger the fuck outta some people on here.

FFXIV has been praised left and right, so that is a promising sign...👍

Meicyn

Gold Member
It is visually overwhelming, imo.
Personally, going to shut off all the damage numbers. I did that in FFXIV as well, it’s too much visual noise. This is even more important given XVI’s action combat. I need to have clear sight on what the enemy is doing instead of having them act as digit piñatas.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Overall seems good, but man that combat.

It's the same issue I have with many JRPGs. Combat is always flashy with many combos, and then you constantly do no damage because enemies are sponges.

Player is seen fighting basic enemies the same level as him, doing TWO full combos and then a finishing move on the downed enemy. Enemy still has almost half the health left.
-
Also, the lighting is awful, but the environments and locations are cool.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
sLVnlsi.png

This is current GAF in a nutshell.

Too true.

99% of discussion about every game just boils down to its graphics, including sheer dismissal of a game if it doesn't have a gritty/realstic aesthetic or uses a low-fi art style.

I'm a lot more interested in how the presence of the DMC combat director will make FF16 play, rather than look.

Not to say it doesn't look very refined and polished, but that's on the back seat for my personal interest.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Historically I have never given a fuck about FInal Fantasy.

Will give this a shot.

Looks less anime-ish

Larxia

The 4K footage looks great. People here are blind.
I don't see what 4K has to do with it, complaints are mostly about the lighting and some environment / assets looking poor, which is the same 1080p or 4K.

But I'm confused why it's such a problem lol The game might be great, it's not because some people find it bad looking that they will necessarily hate the game as a whole, we're just saying what we think about the visual aspect of it.

It's funny though because I'm sure most people here saying the graphics are disappointing are fine with it, they're just stating something, while the people who claim not caring about the visuals get really upset as soon as someone say the graphics aren't great, it's pretty ironic.

Larxia

They are people who thinks the character models are PS2 quality so yes they are absolutely blind as fuck.
PS2 is absolutely an exageration, I agree with you here, even ps3 would be exagerated for the characters, they are too high resolution, they could definitely be ps4 though, no that it's an issue.

Some scenes however look really bad, especially interiors or places in shadows without bright lights.
This here could literally pass as a ps3 game running on pc in high res:
image.png

And yes, I know there are places that look much better in the trailer, I'm just giving an example of the type of stuff that look very jarring in the game.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Ok, between me and you..... I doubt anyone else will see this.

You knew you had a BS argument when you posted that pic right? I mean you do know we can say EVERYTHING is generic right?

But you know what the real kicker is? The part that really puts certain posters to shame? It's that the term `generic`, isn't even a bad thing. Eg, saying FF16 is `generic` is like saying it looks like a game based on the medieval High fantasy genre. Which is exactly what it is, and is intended to look like. Or like saying bloodborne is generic because it looks like a game based on the gothic dark fantasy genre.

Proof? lookup gothic dark fantasy and you will see a lot of shit that looks like bloodborne.

Funny innit? How a lot of people don't even seem to know the meaning of the word generic.

Teletraan1

Banned
Does anyone actually like QTE? Every single game I have ever encountered them in they range from boring to why did you put that after a long cutscene.

The enemies look kinda spongy. It looks like an action combat version of those shitty GAAS shooters and not in a good way.

Mister Wolf

PS2 is absolutely an exageration, I agree with you here, even ps3 would be exagerated for the characters, they are too high resolution, they could definitely be ps4 though, no that it's an issue.

Some scenes however look really bad, especially interiors or places in shadows without bright lights.
This here could literally pass as a ps3 game running on pc in high res:
image.png

And yes, I know there are places that look much better in the trailer, I'm just giving an example of the type of stuff that look very jarring in the game.

That's Xbox 360 era lighting/shading right there.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Ok, between me and you..... I doubt anyone else will see this.

You knew you had a BS argument when you posted that pic right? I mean you do know we can say EVERYTHING is generic right?

But you know what the real kicker is? The part that really puts certain posters to shame? It's that the term `generic`, isn't even a bad thing. Eg, saying FF16 is `generic` is like saying it looks like a game based on the medieval High fantasy genre. Which is exactly what it is, and is intended to look like. Or like saying bloodborne is generic because it looks like a game based on the gothic dark fantasy genre.

Proof? lookup gothic dark fantasy and you will see a lot of shit that looks like bloodborne.

Funny innit? How a lot of people don't even seem to know the meaning of the word generic.

I was winding up to deliver him this argument as soon as he posted an example of what he thought was a non-generic looking Medieval High Fantasy, but he hasn't yet, but I'm glad you said it.

CGNoire

I dont think games are getting exspensive
Constructive criticism is good it's healthy and people are entitled to their opinions but I will laugh at them or call them out if it's clearly bollocks, I won't even try to snuff people's opinions out as you put it if it's good criticism.

A crisis to me is dealing with losing my house or death in my family it's absolutely fuck all to do with video games so I'm not sure what your comment even means.

You'll find the graphics talk in this thread is "PS2 levels" "looks like a PS3 game" "looks dated and shit" which is total fucking bullshit and you know it that's what some people have had enough with and rightfully so.
Pleas quote what opinion I expressed exactly that met that criteria?
Im not one of those people.
The game does not in any way look ps2 or ps3 and saying so is defiantly hyperbole. I never exspressed that myself.

I said for me the price barriers involved require me to see evidence that its costing them more which I dont see.

CGNoire

I dont buy it. I think tech has infact most likely reduced the cost of producing something that still has a firm footing in PS4 graphic Terrritory.

GenericUser

I really like it. Game has a lot of potential. Could be really awesome. The characters could be great, the world seems big while also being designed with a lot of care for detail. Looks and sounds like a game I can get lost in. I'll also definitely be choosing action focused combat. The "story-mode" seems to be the journalist mode. The question for me is: will I be getting it day one or later? Diablo 4 comes out like 2 weeks before FF16 and that game will also be humongous. I really love to have these kind of "problems" though.

CGNoire

Too true.

99% of discussion about every game just boils down to its graphics, including sheer dismissal of a game if it doesn't have a gritty/realstic aesthetic or uses a low-fi art style.

I'm a lot more interested in how the presence of the DMC combat director will make FF16 play, rather than look.

Not to say it doesn't look very refined and polished, but that's on the back seat for my personal interest.
Its just gotten alot more frequent since cross gen periord started. Shit will quiet down alot if/when the Next gen only games from the top studios drop.....hopefully.

Top Bottom