• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343: Halo 5 beta runs at 720p/60FPS, focused on gameplay, not final resolution

jackdoe

I hope to god the campaign is 1080p. If they can't hit a 60fps target at that resolution, then aim for a 30fps target.

I can't not compare this to Uncharted 4 and think that MIcrosofts First Party Studios best can't quite compare to Sony's. That being Naughty Dog of course. Will wait for further judgement till actual release, however.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
It seems people have gotten used to "betas" that are only weeks away from the final release...

You noticed that too eh?

I remember playing in the early beta for games like WoW and WC3... what a mess and it's also crazy how much stuff changes from looks to gameplay to abilities to balancing and so on from early beta to release.

I think what's more important is to notice that in an age where lots of games come out unfinished, unpolished or just plain buggy, 343i is releasing a portion of the Halo 5 mp almost a year before the game is set to launch. To me that is very impressive and I really wouldn't worry about performance as that's a long time for optimization/adjustments based on feedback.

I assume this will also be running on DX12 given they said "holiday 2015" is when the DX12 games would be coming out. From my understanding that doesn't make the system suddenly a beast, but it is supposedly designed to address setups with relatively weak CPUs...

rjinaz

So you never played a console game prior to the current generation? You must also not watch cable TV since that comes in at 720. Hell, what did you do before HDTV?

Or are you just being highly over-dramatic? I'm guessing that's the case.

I'm sure he is being over dramatic. That said, If I try to watch standard definition now after getting used to HD, it will and does give me a headache, be it on a tube tv or flat screen.

It's all about what the eye, and I suppose mind, is used to.

I think 720/60 isn't too shabby. If it can hit 900 and hold a steady framerate for the retail version, that's pretty great.

turcy

I can't not compare this to Uncharted 4 and think that MIcrosofts First Party Studios best can't quite compare to Sony's. That being Naughty Dog of course. Will wait for further judgement till actual release, however.

keep in mind they lost Corinne Yu [among others?] to Naughty Dog.

i'm sure she wasn't solely responsible for the technical wizardry of Halo 4, but she was a key force behind that game's technology.

edit: like many others, i'll be happy with a dynamic 900p or dynamic vertical 1080 resolution in the final game.

Sydle

Did I miss something? Is there an Uncharted 4 MP beta coming this holiday as well?

keep in mind they lost Corinne Yu [among others?] to Naughty Dog.

i'm sure she wasn't solely responsible for the technical wizardry of Halo 4, but she was a key force behind that game's technology.

edit: like many others, i'll be happy with a dynamic 900p or dynamic vertical 1080 resolution in the final game.

While she seems to be a brilliant programmer, I think you're greatly overstating her importance in making Halo 4 look as great as it did on the aging 360. There have been people from 343 that have talked about this point in the past here (not to take anything away from what she did, but it was very much a team effort...and the majority of that team and the engine they built is still part of 343).

I think 343 and ND push their respective consoles pretty damn hard. Not sure either is "better" than the other when the games they make are so different (how do you adequately compare such a thing?...). Comparing the two does seem to be a pretty popular battleground for fanboys, though (evidence: why are we even talking about ND in this thread???).

720p is fine for the beta. Would be very disappointing for the final release however.

I totally agree with this. I play in 720 because my PC can't capture at 60fps, but it's about time to upgrade. Final built should be 1080p. I don't care if the system native is 900p, do it for the community. 1080p 60fps

I understand that uncharted 4 will most likely look fantastic, but we haven't even seen the game yet. So keep the comparisons out of here until we do.

wachie

I'm guessing 720p for the beta and the final will be 1360x1080 and boom, the gap is closed (or even lead) further.

BubbaMc

There are hundreds , maybe thousands of native 900p displays. They are just not TV's.

yBcKLIg.jpg

Might want to elaborate on your point there.

Xbone can't output 900p natively. Choices are either 720p or 1080p, so an internal 900p render is always scaled.

Random17

900p 60FPS for the campaign is preferable; leaves room for larger encounters/levels and more AI on screen.

It's just a beta for now anyway...

BubbaMc

Doesn't matter if downscaled on a 900p monitor.

Information is lost with the upscale from 900p to 1080p. The resulting picture then downscaled on a 900p monitor will not be accurate. So yes, it very much does matter.

And lets face it, how many people are using 900p monitors for consoles? Probably 3, maybe 4.

HTupolev

Hey were 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 all 60fps on the 360? I've never really paid attention.
Not even remotely. All of them target 30, with emphasis on "target."

Halo 3 and ODST do a pretty good job of keeping up with 30fps through crazy gameplay scenarios, and they don't take that terrible of a hit from split-screen, but they have some frame-pacing issues.

Reach is ambitious across the board, and regularly pushes itself over its limit. Some areas run more or less fine, some see pretty significant spikes. Split-screen is more visually compromised than in Halo 3 and has dubious performance.

CEA is stutter hell.

Halo 4 runs surprisingly well in single-screen play, although some BTB maps have problematic locations. Where Halo 4 stumbles badly is split-screen, which is basically a slideshow featuring images of dithered clay blobs.

Not even remotely. All of them target 30, with emphasis on "target."

Halo 3 and ODST do a pretty good job of keeping up with 30fps through crazy gameplay scenarios, and they don't take that terrible of a hit from split-screen, but they have some frame-pacing issues.

Reach is ambitious across the board, and regularly pushes itself over its limit. Some areas run more or less fine, some see pretty significant spikes. Split-screen is more visually compromised than in Halo 3 and has dubious performance.

CEA is stutter hell.

Halo 4 runs surprisingly well in single-screen play, although some BTB maps have problematic locations. Where Halo 4 stumbles badly is split-screen, which is basically a slideshow featuring images of dithered clay blobs.

Ok cool so since I had fun playing all those games and didn't notice any of those things you just said (or really understand what some of it meant) I guess that means I don't give a shit about frame rate. Thanks for letting me know!

Crisium

Information is lost with the upscale from 900p to 1080p. The resulting picture then downscaled on a 900p monitor will not be accurate. So yes, it very much does matter.

Yeah, this is what always bothers me about 900p console games. It is actually impossible to play these games with 1:1 pixel mapping, even on a 1600x900 display since the consoles cannot choose that resolution.

Etnos

Banned
Frame rate is king, honestly if it ends up looking the way Halo 4 looks in MCC I'll be happy.

Frame rate and gameplay should always be priority, otherwise you end up with stuff like AC Unity.

Etnos

Banned
Part of being a good game is being technically competent, or impressive. Immersion is key to the medium.

Immersion being tied to visual fidelity is a huge fallacy. There is countless examples of games that create immersion with 8-16bit graphics, its about a compelling narrative and good game design.

They are clearly going for e-sports with H4, frame rate should be priority.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Immersion being tied to visual fidelity is a huge fallacy. There is countless examples of games that create immersion with 8-16bit graphics, its about a compelling narrative and good game design.

They are clearly going for e-sports with H4, frame rate should be priority.

Nah. It's really not.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Bioshock, Doom, Killzone 2, Half-Life, F.E.A.R, Metro, Alien: Isolation etc. all have AMAZING atmosphere and immersion, and visual fidelity is a HUGE part of that.

Nah. It's really not.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Bioshock, Doom, Killzone 2, Half-Life, F.E.A.R, Metro, Alien: Isolation etc. all have AMAZING atmosphere and immersion, and visual fidelity is a HUGE part of that.

the visual fidelity of Doom huh

and I like how you mentioned a bunch of arena-based multiplayer shooters. Clearly STALKER/Metro and Halo 5 MP have the same goals.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I hope to god the campaign is 1080p. If they can't hit a 60fps target at that resolution, then aim for a 30fps target.

We would always target fps over resolution. 60 is baked in at this point.

Fidelity and IQ optimization, as you must know, will happen later in the development process.

VinFTW

We would always target fps over resolution. 60 is baked in at this point.

Fidelity and IQ optimization, as you must know, will happen later in the development process.

Hey Stinkles, honest question, are the models we saw at Halofest's reveal placeholder armor models (from Halo 4 perhaps)?

There seems to be a massive difference between what we saw from IGN (which were absolutely incredible and amazing) and what we saw from Halofest.

Like night and day, H2 --> H4.

Faith

You can't separate framerate and resolution, they both come together in terms of sharpness on your TV. 1080p/30fps might look sharper while not moving, but that's almost never the case. While you are moving the higher framerate leads also to more motion-resolution.

1280x1080 @60fps gives you a better "IQ" than 1920x1080 @30fps in most scenarios.

You can't separate framerate and resolution, they both come together in terms of sharpness on your TV. 1080p/30fps might look sharper while not moving, but that's almost never the case. While you are moving the higher framerate leads also to more motion-resolution.

1280x1080 @60fps gives you a better "IQ" than 1920x1080 @30fps in most scenarios.

Yeah, but you can't use the way the game actually looks for list warz, just screenshots :p

Crisium

Wipeout is certainly a game that is much better at 1280x1080x60 then 1920x1080x30 would be. But not every game is that fast paced. A game paced like Resident Evil 4, for example, I'd take in 1920x1080x30 over a lower resolution and 60fps any day - there's not much rapid movement that requires precision since you can't run and gun.

But you can in Halo. So, 1080pr 60fps seems like a better choice than 1080p 30fps.

But you know what? 1080p 60fps is better yet. And, I got good news! It's possible in every single Xbone game. Devs just gotta turn down those textures, shadows, lightning, etc. But priorities are to have nice looking still shots, apparently, so they crank it up and sacrifice resolution and/or fps. Priorities just need to be shifted.

Top Bottom