• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343i Acknowledges Halo 5 Storytelling Mistake, Will Double Down on Master Chief Focus

Wil348

Chief we tend to think of as kind of a vessel for your adventure rather than necessarily this major character in the universe.

What they tried to do in Halo 4 directly contradicts this. Their focus on humanising Chief and making him more of a character isn't an inherently bad direction to go but their execution of it has been piss poor so far. Doesn't inspire confidence that they seem to think that isn't what they are doing.

Akai__

That will surely help and fix all the other issues that people had with Halo 5's mediocre campaign.

They also made her evil.

Evil...Cortana... thanks 343.

They already retconned that in a recent book:

The Cortana in Halo 5 is not actually the real Cortana, but one rampant fragment that got split during the fight against the Didact in Halo 4.

343i is a master at this. Several important aspects of the games are hidden in books, comics, novels, movies, etc. etc. That's why I also think that them acknowledging the Storytelling mistake won't help them.

Here is also an other lovely quote from Bonnie Ross:

"Not every story is for every person. But in telling those stories, there does have to be some, you know, look-back, paying homage to the lore, and reasons for moving things forward. "

"And while we love our transmedia, sometimes I do think we do tell a little bit too much story in our games, you know when you have a gun and then you have aliens shooting at you, it is kind of hard to digest a lot of story."

"And so I think - good learnings - hopefully we're showing in Halo Wars 2 a little more simple story, and really using trasnsmedia as part of the way to get the deeper story but keeping the game story more simple."

So, even less Story in the actual game and more Story in transmedia. That will surely help.

Sanpei

No need a lesson for this and you dont even need a brain to know...

Masterchief had to be main character...Ofcourse fans would like to see it...

Congrats 343 !

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I enjoyed the Halo franchise.
Halo 4 was an emotional turning point as Cortona seeminly sacrificed herself for the Chief. Then when I found out she's alive in Halo 5, it felt like a massive cheat. They also gave her clothes, WHY?

Because they oversexualized her in Halo 4, which is one of the worst character redesigns I have EVER seen in a game.

pKVZ1Ra.jpg

And then when all the complaints came in they had two choices: redesign her in a fashion similar to the previous Halo games, or throw some digital clothes on her.

I still laugh at the idea of Cortana wearing armor. Goes well with the awful armor artstyle that has completely covered the entire game at this point.

Village

I feel like focusing on cheif and people cheering this on are learning the wrong lesson.

Just make the character interesting. I don't think MC was ever interesting and him not being focused on is totally fine. My main character doesn't have to be the coolest and the strongest.

Gator86

That will surely help and fix all the other issues that people had with Halo 5's mediocre campaign.

The Cortana in Halo 5 is not actually the real Cortana, but one rampant fragment that got split during the fight against the Didact in Halo 4.

343i is a master at this. Several important aspects of the games are hidden in books, comics, novels, movies, etc. etc. That's why I also think that them acknowledging the Storytelling mistake won't help them.

So, even less Story in the actual game and more Story in transmedia. That will surely help.

I'm actually totally fine with that retcon. It's what I expected based on 5 and I think it basically works.

That said, everything else in there absolutely batshit insane. Their obsession with transmedia is absolutely ridiculous and seriously harms their games. You can not fucking write a story for a game assuming that everyone playing it has read half a dozen books, completed the marketing ARG, etc. The story in H4 is damn near incomprehensible. Blue team appears out of nowhere in 5 and is never explained.

343 really needs better management.

Cranster

Banned
Because they oversexualized her in Halo 4, which is one of the worst character redesigns I have EVER seen in a game.

pKVZ1Ra.jpg

And then when all the complaints came in they had two choices: redesign her in a fashion similar to the previous Halo games, or throw some digital clothes on her.

I still laugh at the idea of Cortana wearing armor. Goes well with the awful armor artstyle that has completely covered the entire game at this point.

cortanavx21.gif

Lol, had a feeling they would do this! Especially when they showed off that story board of
the halo ring and Cortana going through brush to meet the AI that is on the infinity. so halo 6 - battle of the cortanas! They might as well call it Halo 6: Gemini

Cranster

Banned

I'm pretty sure that was not a retcon as myself and many fans theorized that to be the case (the logic plague was another theory) considering the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4. More than likely it was just another incident of 343i neglecting to bring it up in-game.

Karl2177

Remember the 3 months after Halo 4 came out when its story was still incomprehensible because the final Greg Bear book hadn't released? Or my favorite one, which is when they killed the bad guy from Halo 4 in a comic book. Good times.

Gestault

pKVZ1Ra.jpg

This apparently needs spelling out:

A naked human figure isn't itself sexualized (in the normal context of that term). Making her appear physically more human is not sexualized. She was not treated as a sexual object in the games. Her interactions weren't curtailed to highlight a gender/sexual role. The camerawork wasn't disrespectful or prurient. If it's not clear from my tone, I think the idea that Halo 4 sexualized Cortana in excess compared to previous games isn't a coherent opinion.

YO I CALLED THAT SHIT

So I played the campaign again and I've been thinking. At the end of Halo 4 Cortana clones her rampant personalities. So what if the Cortana in Halo 5 is one of the rampant clones, the part of Cortana that thought AI's are superior to humans. Not only that, if that rampant clone had survived there could possibly be many Cortana clones scattered around the galaxy.

So now I get to this thing here which I thought would be Halo 5, but now looking at it could be set after Halo 5; which is Master Chief finding the rampant "Cortanas".

So, what if the plot of Halo 6 is that only way to stop Cortana and the created is to find all the rampant personalities of Cortana, make her complete again. When complete she'll realize what she is doing is stoopid and then we will all live happily ever after, the end.

End silly fan theory

The Hobo

I don't know why they bothered bringing in Blue Team. Chief finally fighting alongside his fellow Spartan IIs is a big fucking deal, yet the game acts like it is anything but. No time is spent introducing them or fleshing out their relationship with Chief. Instead we spend 90% of the game playing as Osiris trying to catch up to where the story is happening.

Akai__

I'm pretty sure that was not a retcon as myself and many fans theorized that to be the case (the logic plague was another theory) considering the events of Halo 3 and Halo 4. More than likely it was just another incident of 343i neglecting to bring it up in-game.

Like I will give 343i the benefit of the doubt here, after all that we have been through with them. lol

mcrommert

Banned

Uh yeah that was Halo 1-3...the had very little story in them...halo 1 was actually super confusing to me when i was 13 and hadn't read the books

Gator86

Remember the 3 months after Halo 4 came out when its story was still incomprehensible because the final Greg Bear book hadn't released? Or my favorite one, which is when they killed the bad guy from Halo 4 in a comic book. Good times.

Don't you kill the bad guy from 4 at the end of 4? Not correcting, I just literally can't remember because 343 is insane. I need to go wiki because my brain rejected everything from H4 which says lots of things about 343's approach to storytelling.

I feel like focusing on cheif and people cheering this on are learning the wrong lesson.

Just make the character interesting. I don't think MC was ever interesting and him not being focused on is totally fine. My main character doesn't have to be the coolest and the strongest.

MC is not supposed to be the "Most interesting man in the world". He's a genetically altered space marine raised to put a hurt on enemies. So is the rest of Blue team. If that's not your thing folks don't play Halo. Blue team is the closest thing he has to family and Cortana, though an AI, had been his savior/friend who he's willing to risk his life to save/protect. What threw many Halo fans off was that Cortana was corrupted like that and Chief is hunted in his universe. Halo 5 is the part of the movie where the good guy is framed but we didn't get the great vindication where everyone realizes that he's the good guy suffering and sacrificing for everyone else. It's like Spiderman where he catches shit in the papers even though he's doing all the right things. Halo 6 should do better to further the arc along and give fans some more feel good.

This is all of course, my opinion.

Zeta Oni

I don't know why they bothered bringing in Blue Team. Chief finally fighting alongside his fellow Spartan IIs is a big fucking deal, yet the game acts like it is anything but. No time is spent introducing them or fleshing out their relationship with Chief. Instead we spend 90% of the game playing as Osiris trying to catch up to where the story is happening.

Because I'm convinced 343i (and Bungie to a different degree) don't really give much of a damn about the Nylund novels that introduced these characters in the first place. I've been rereading Fall of Reach/The Flood/First Strike and its absolutely mindboggling how messed up and convoluted this series' story has gotten compared to its roots, and how they handle Blue Team is a disgrace to longtime fans of the books everywhere.

Karl2177

Don't you kill the bad guy from 4 at the end of 4? Not correcting, I just literally can't remember because 343 is insane. I need to go wiki because my brain rejected everything from H4 which says lots of things about 343's approach to storytelling.
Kinda. At the beginning of the encounter Cortana says that the whirlpool thing below is actually a slipspace portal. It's up in the air if the grenade you use kills him or merely knocks him off the bridge and into the portal.

Also fun fact: in MCC, the final prompt tells you to press RT to fire machine gun, despite the fact that it's the grenade QTE.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This apparently needs spelling out:

A naked human figure isn't itself sexualized (in the normal context of that term). Making her appear physically more human is not sexualized. She was not treated as a sexual object in the games. Her interactions weren't curtailed to highlight a gender/sexual role. The camerawork wasn't disrespectful or prurient. If it's not clear from my tone, I think the idea that Halo 4 sexualized Cortana in excess compared to previous games isn't a coherent opinion.

Why did Cortana need to look more human to begin with?

Actually nevermind, I didn't realize 343 addressed this already:

While other AI's simulate clothing that reflect their personalities (With UNSC naval AI's sometimes choosing to don naval uniforms, etc.) Cortana approaches social situations ”from a different angle." Cortana, unlike many other AI's, wants to hold the upper hand when speaking to others. She has agendas of her own, and wants to direct the flow of the conversation she's having.

Her decision to appear with minimal clothing furthers this end, breaking the fundamental social barrier that is adhered to in conversation. By appearing without clothes, Cortana makes everyone around her uncomfortable, and can direct her conversations as such. She makes people feel vulnerable, and when you have the brain of one of the most intelligent people humanity has ever seen, that vulnerability can do a whole lot of work.

uh huh

Akai__

Uh yeah that was Halo 1-3...the had very little story in them...halo 1 was actually super confusing to me when i was 13 and hadn't read the books

I'd be totally fine with it, if 343i handled the Expanded Universe more like Bungie, but they are absolutely not doing that.

Appareantly he actually fell into a portal and that didn't really kill him. But Chief reunites with Blue Team in the comics to kill him again.

Just like the whole Halsey and Jul M'dama story gets explained in the comics and leads to nowhere only for Jul getting killed off after the 1st mission of Halo 5.

Excuse me sir. Haven't you read the Halo: Escalation Comic? 343i did reunite them there. You were supposed to read it.
/s

Gestault

I can't understand the decision to utilize "resurrecting" Blue Team by skipping the part of that story that would have any emotional impact, let alone narrative coherency. Representing that in-game by jumping directly to showing everyday, mundane operations with them paired with Chief feels more like an unimaginitive writer than deliberate narrative craftsmanship. Even when the story moves to a point where Chief sounds like he's losing it, and Blue Team trusts him enough to make the same sort of well-meaning defection that Chief did in Halo 4, it doesn't feel like it matters when it absolutely should. If they showed how important that "normal," connected military life was for Blue Team, that decision to risk it all to help Chief would have that much more weight.

A team of writers have a situation where characters who obviously love each other (combined with the interesting slant of none of them communicating it in predictable ways) are meeting up after what might as well be a lifetime apart, and those writers decide, "HEY LETS SKIP THIS." I rarely go out of my way to question talent like this, but maaaaaan. That choice can fuck right off. Missed opportunity is putting it very nicely.

jennetics

Can they focus on making a good game first?

...but it is a good game. It's not an amazing 10/10 experience, but it's a good game.

Excited to see what 343i does next, hopefully they've learned from their mistakes. I'm sure there's this weird line where, as a developer, you're wanting to make something that appeals to your hardcore fanbase while also trying something new. Gears of War 4 comes to mind, for me, when I think about games that did too little for a new campaign by basically making the same type of game that the first three Gears games were.

You try to appease fans, but then you get told it's the same thing that's been done before.

You try something new and it falls on its face, making fans say that you've ruined an otherwise great franchise.

I don't envy developers at all lol

Master Chief was never really a character to me in Bungie's games and I personally didn't want him to be because he didn't need to be. Cortana was the voice in your head, and Johnson was the guy who always gave Chief shit. Now taht both of those characters are "gone", I wouldn't want Halo to be stuck telling Master Chief's story over and over again. I think it's interesting to see different characters within the same universe, but Halo 5 just did a very poor job of that, unlike ODST (and Reach to a lesser extent).

If they're going to have "more Chief" and turn him from an unstoppable juggernaut to a humanized and broken soldier, then he needs to have a story worth relating to. Why should we care about Chief beyond him being the face of the franchise, or rather, why do we need to? What's at stake for him?

I can't understand the decision to utilize "resurrecting" Blue Team by skipping the part of that story that would have any emotional impact, let alone narrative coherency. Representing that in-game by jumping directly to showing everyday, mundane operations with them paired with Chief feels more like an unimaginitive writer than deliberate narrative craftsmanship. Even when the story moves to a point where Chief sounds like he's losing it, and Blue Team trusts him enough to make the same sort of well-meaning defection that Chief did in Halo 4, it doesn't feel like it matters when it absolutely should. If they showed how important that "normal," connected military life was for Blue Team, that decision to risk it all to help Chief would have that much more weight.

The idea of a team of writers having a situation where characters who obviously love each other (combined with the interesting slant of none of them communicating it in predictable ways) are meeting up after what might as well be a lifetime apart, and those writers decide, "HEY LETS SKIP THIS." I rarely go out of my way to question talent like this, but maaaaaan. That choice can fuck right off. Missed opportunity is putting it very nicely.

That's pretty much the explanation for most of what 343 does, which is why I've stopped being nice about it. You're just left to wonder what they were thinking, like dedicating the entirety of Halo 4 to killing Cortana, and then bringing back "an evil fragment" of her immediately afterwards.

PnCIa

To be honest, they should fuck all Halo fans and try to make new ones. The Halo SP formula is stale. The MP formula, while I enjoy it, is not what people are looking for and is stale to most. They should do a major shakeup if they want the game to see long term usage.
I disagree with your stale singleplayer statement. Actually the SP formula of Halo 1 and 3 is something you wont find in modern shooters which are mostly inspired by Call of Duty. Doom showed that its possible to double down on a formula long thought dead. Id made Doom work with a modern twist.
What 343 did was to shift direction away from Bungies Halo towards more "focused" campaigns. Even though Halo 5 opened up the spaces sometimes, 343 slept on the ai front making a lot of that space redundant.
343 should double down on what made Halo SP great in the first place: Huge open levels and AI that can use the space effectively, resulting in a game that forces the player to create new ways to takle a problem. Hiding behind a single rock should not work and spaces should be setup in a way that enables the AI to flank...and the AI should actually do it. Look at Doom for a game with a seemingly dumb AI that actually does a lot lost in recent Halo titles. And Halo has vehicles on top, which can create a whole new level of mayhem.
They should move back to "Halo - the simulation" and away from "Halo - the cinematic experience". The capabilities of modern concoles could enable such awesome gameplay experiences with huge amounts of friendly and enemy units all engaged on a big battlefield. Give me more simulation that can actually play out differently every time on a bigger scale than in the past. The tech is there for it.

-Having two stories in the campaign going alongside each other wasn't the problem.
-Having less chief sections wasn't the problem

IMO the issue was there was nothing major gained in having the two stories go alongside each other. We didn't have any cool revelations from having the two stories go alongside each other. Halo 2 for all the complaining it received on having two stories alongside each other at least gave us a fresh and distinct perspective on the Halo universe. Seeing things from the Covenant's side and Arbiter's side allowed us to view the Covenant in a way we hadn't before and allowed us to see the corruption the prophets had brought. Playing as Osiris just felt like playing as the same spartan with a slightly different HUD and seeing the story unfold from very slightly different eyes.

FyreWulff

this is confusing to me because every halo 1 cutscene is slathered in a thick layer of exposition.

like at one point Jen Taylor is damn near speed reading the script just to get it all out in time

Gator86

A team of writers have a situation where characters who obviously love each other (combined with the interesting slant of none of them communicating it in predictable ways) are meeting up after what might as well be a lifetime apart, and those writers decide, "HEY LETS SKIP THIS." I rarely go out of my way to question talent like this, but maaaaaan. That choice can fuck right off. Missed opportunity is putting it very nicely.

Well written. 343 really seems to have no sense of what is important and what is not. It's fine to have a transmedia strategy, but you have to have a good sense of what should be included in each piece, what is essential, etc. The games absolutely must be self-contained and complete without the other content, otherwise it doesn't work. It's fine to have extra detail and expand on the story in books, but if you hide main story beats outside the games, you're just pissing off and confusing your fans.

Cranster

Banned
this is confusing to me because every halo 1 cutscene is slathered in a thick layer of exposition.

like at one point Jen Taylor is damn near speed reading the script just to get it all out in time
I do agree, people need to quit saying Halo 1 and Halo 2 had no interesting story to them because they did. Halo 3 didn't, but the first two games had layers of story and world building.

They need to stop being masters spreading out hugely important story points in books that a very small percentage of people who play the game will read.

It's basically the same mistake that Bungie made with Grimoire cards.

As others have said..everything needs to be self contained in the game people are playing.

I do not think doubling down on the Chief will solve the problem. Overall I did not mind that you played Osiris through most of 5 it was just parts of the overall plot just did not connect properly and there were some missions in the campaign that were almost unnecessary. If they are going to double down at least maybe have a couple of Osiris missions but then focus on Blue Team more instead of just strictly focusing on just the Chief. Plus the whole Hunt the Truth stuff though awesome marketing was just an overt lie and had little to nothing to do with Halo 5's plot. I hope if they do marketing similar it is more truthful to what happens in the game.

Detective

To me it seems like 343 wants to delete everything Bungie Halo, Art style, music, Characters, weapons sound, story, design, even the colors. I say they have succeeded at that 90%.

I do agree, people need to quit saying Halo 1 and Halo 2 had no interesting story to them because they did. Halo 3 didn't, but the first two games had layers of story and world building.

Well Halo 2 almost didn't happen. We have to remember that Bungie made many different IPs and wasn't planning to be a Halo machien, so Halo 2 was supposed to be a much different game. It's why Halo 3's story doesn't even start until a 3rd of the way in.

TalonJH

I actually enjoyed Halo 5(I play mostly single player) and I'd rather they move on form MC and develop a new character.

bleaker

The problem with Halo 5 wasn't that you werent playing as Chief, it was the overall lackluster story and the fact that Locke is an uninteresting character. I mean they could have had you play as Buck and that might of fixed one issue, but the story itself was flawed as all hell.

Halo 5 makes me respect Halo 2 more in retrospect, as at least Arbiter was interesting.

Admodieus

This right here. Halo 5 could've been a game about Chief going to find Blue Team and them remembering what their early years together were like, training on Reach, while Locke (if they still wanted to include him) could be recruiting Osiris. Easy way to draw a comparison between the values each generation of Spartan prioritizes and get to know characters better.

Who reads that and feels good about the future of the franchise? It seems like there is absolutely nobody at 343 with a clear vision, either in terms of the gameplay or the story. They're always chasing something.

To me it seems like 343 wants to delete everything Bungie Halo, Art style, music, Characters, weapons sound, story, design, even the colors. I say they have succeeded at that 90%.
Basically they want to destroy what made Halo what it is today.

And this is why I left my favourite franchise behind. Sorry Chief, it's not you, it's your parents.

Who reads that and feels good about the future of the franchise? It seems like there is absolutely nobody at 343 with a clear vision, either in terms of the gameplay or the story. They're always chasing something.

Yeah honestly, i dont think they get it at all. Dont get me wrong, i want more Chief but they dont seem to understand why that is.

This right here. Halo 5 could've been a game about Chief going to find Blue Team and them remembering what their early years together were like, training on Reach, while Locke (if they still wanted to include him) could be recruiting Osiris. Easy way to draw a comparison between the values each generation of Spartan prioritizes and get to know characters better.

This would have been amazing. How is it a fucking neogaf poster can come up with a better idea than 343.

So discouraging.

Outrun

Frank makes lots of promises.

And like Harry Stamper from Armageddon, he keeps them.

343i said they would improve MP in 5. They did that.

Now they said they will deliver a stronger SP, I believe them.

He will make 800ft.

Cue Aerosmith Song.

Top Bottom