• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

SenkiDala

Damn I had DOAD, good game, but I sold it to buy another one. In France (my 3DS is a French one) there's no DOAD on the eShop so I'll have to buy it again. ^^" Well it's a good game, it's ok! I would hate to have to buy an awful game for that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
From his devblog:
http://smealum.net/?page_id=299
As I just explained, this exploit gives us full run-time control. This means that almost anything can be done from there, including easy piracy. It was fairly easy for us to redirect NAND access to the SD card; it’s not too much of a leap to consider that it might be possible to redirect gamecard reads to SD card through a similar process, thus allowing people to run games downloaded illegally.

I, personally, do not want that to happen. Or rather, if it does happen, I do not want to be a part of it, and do not want any of the work I participated in to be instrumental in its genesis. And unfortunately, in its current state, what we have would quite certainly end up turning into a piracy-oriented custom firmware.

This means that if I’m ever to release anything, it will have to be controlled in a way or another. Ideally, it would only allow people to run their own user mode ARM11 code. Of course, this raises some ethical problems : the idea here is to break free from Nintendo’s shackles and finally get our own device which we payed for to do what we want it to. In a way, running my hypothetical firmware would just be trading Nintendo’s shackles for mine. Admittedly, mine are softer and fuzzier and they allow anyone to run their own code, but they’re still shackles in a way. But then again, it’s either that or not releasing anything.
Unless he is a genius and nobody can crack his implemented piracy restrictions, and assuming this is released and the exploits works as intended/described, piracy does appear to eventually come from it.

Khaz

I don't understand why everybody is buying a copy of DoaD, nothing says it's this game. So why?!

Because it's a damn fine game regardless? It deserves to be played more, whether you can hack stuff with it or not.

From his devblog:
http://smealum.net/?page_id=299

Unless he is a genius and nobody can crack his implemented piracy restrictions, and assuming this is released and the exploits works as intended/described, piracy does appear to eventually come from it.
This is misinformation as that article is about a different exploit from November 2013. This newer one is about the current hack; ssspwn and mentions how it only givens enough access for ARM11 code to run. An interesting point it brings up:
You might be wondering why there isn’t a download link available yet. The reason for that is that, as I mentioned, ssspwn has yet to be fixed. In my opinion, it would be dumb to burn such a nice vuln on just 6.3 when we know full well that we should be able to use this on 7.x, and possibly even 8.x+ with some work.

wrowa

I don't understand why everybody is buying a copy of DoaD, nothing says it's this game. So why?!

Well, why not? It's very cheap, it's pretty good and there are some indications that it might be the game. In the worst case I'll end up with a nice game I paid a whopping 8€ for. If it turns out to be indeed the game you can expect the game to become a lot more expensive over night, so there's really nothing to lose in this case. Except if you really hate fighting games.

Lettuce

Why is everyone buying DOA????, he hasnt even hinted in the slightest that its DOA has he??....i bet its pilotwings

wrowa

Why is everyone buying DOA????, he hasnt even hinted in the slightest that its DOA has he??....i bet its pilotwings

Pilotwings is available on the eShop in all regions, so that one can't be it. For reasons that point to DoA read this thread. It's not that long.

Lettuce

Pilotwings is available on the eShop in all regions, so that one can't be it. For reasons that point to DoA read this thread. It's not that long.

Ah ok, guess i get DOA then.

Regarding this exploit, would be nice to be able to have all my cart based games and install them to the SD crad, so i can have my whole game collection on the SD card.

Letep

Ah ok, guess i get DOA then.

Regarding this exploit, would be nice to be able to have all my cart based games and install them to the SD crad, so i can have my whole game collection on the SD card.

Is this something the exploit will allow? How?

If so, that's awesome.

Rich!

What I want is to back up my eshop titles (mario, mario kart, oot, albw, kirby, fire emblem, dkcr and vc games) so I can keep them safe on my main 3DS at home, and take the other out without worry of theft/losing it etc.

Ive dealt enough with NOE support to know this is gonna be the best safeguard for my purchased games I will ever get.

People are really jumping the gun on buying DoA I think... just sit back, don't update your 3DS, then buy whatever game it is when it comes out. It's unlikely that amazon or gamestop will raise the prices on the game fast enough.

People are really jumping the gun on buying DoA I think... just sit back, don't update your 3DS, then buy whatever game it is when it comes out. It's unlikely that amazon or gamestop will raise the prices on the game fast enough.
You make the assumption that Amazon and Gamestop have unlimited numbers of copies of the games? What will happen to whatever the exploit game is people will buy it starting with the cheapest copies, if news of it spreads quickly enough this will lead to those cheap copies selling out.

One thing which will be fun to watch, movers and shakers on whatever Amazon site 24 hours after the announcement. I remember in the PSP days seeing Luminus sales go up the rankings but thousands of percent* (of course, I've also seen Excitebots go up like 500,000%).

*-The working out is along the lines of old sales rank / new sales rank.

Why not? He's going to be announcing the game before their return policy is up anyway.

And you know there's a good chance of horders being there when it is announced.

GeekyDad

Bought DOA, would be funny if that wasn't it after all. Seems fun anyway though.

It's a good game. If nothing else, people will have a solid handheld fighting game.

I'm living in China and my only means of buying DOAD is using Taobao (China's biggest online market) or getting lucky and finding a loose cart of the US version in the games stores.

BK6fBzy.png

It's about $16 give or take.

What I want is to back up my eshop titles (mario, mario kart, oot, albw, kirby, fire emblem, dkcr and vc games) so I can keep them safe on my main 3DS at home, and take the other out without worry of theft/losing it etc.

Ive dealt enough with NOE support to know this is gonna be the best safeguard for my purchased games I will ever get.

I live in Australia and have a 3DS from America, I don't even have much of an option if my 3DS is stolen or in a state beyond repair.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned in the thread, but Smealum has said he will be working on region unlocking post-release. https://twitter.com/smealum/status/504320213756555264

Zornica

Banned
I meant like Wii U where you can bypass using Miiverse when uploading screens.
[...]

as I said above, you can do that with certain games. Every single screenshot I posted never went through Miiverse.

They'd just need to implement it on a system-wide level for all games to work... (which I'm sure is doable)

I read in some other forum that the game could be Cubic Ninja?
It has a level editor which is a potential attack vector, though it would require a way to load a hacked save onto the cartridge, thereby greatly limiting the number of people capable of performing the hack.

Though frankly anything in a save can be a potential attack vector (but custom stages tend to more useful). You might remember on the Wii some horse called Epona having an extremely long name leading to a buffer overflow was what started homebrew there.

Rockman

Personally I don't care at all about region free. I haven't imported any games and don't plan on doing so. What would be neat is some sort of homebrew app that can rip the games directly from the card (not downloaded roms) and install them on my SD card. Being able to carry my entire 3DS library in my pocket would be amazing. I refuse to buy anything digital Nintendo until they have a proper account system like Sony/MS .

iUvghgu8ZZfyv.jpg

Lettuce

Personally I don't care at all about region free. I haven't imported any games and don't plan on doing so. What would be neat is some sort of homebrew app that can rip the games directly from the card (not downloaded roms) and install them on my SD card. Being able to carry my entire 3DS library in my pocket would be amazing. I refuse to buy anything digital Nintendo until they have a proper account system like Sony/MS .

ibj1bbeZMWeLFG.jpg

+1

Luigi87

... I was wondering what everyone meant by DOAD then I remembered "Oh wait, I actually own that game!"
So... fingers crossed.

ibj1bbeZMWeLFG.jpg

And how would that be any different than piracy -- technologically speaking, not ethically?

Rich!

Could homebrew be a hex editor? I always loved messing around with my gameshark and codebreakers.

Well, its possible, but would either have to be from a dumped log or through hacking the rom.

I would strongly advise giving ROM hacking a go using NES/SNES/GB games if you like that kind of stuff. Back in the day, working out the level format for Yoshi's Island was damn fun

Using a hex editor to fix the fuckups hyrule magic caused in a link to the past was significantly less fun

rekameohs

Banned

ibj1bbeZMWeLFG.jpg
That's exactly the same thing as allowing playing "downloaded roms". It's not like you could have one option but not the other.

Its gonna be the dinosaur game that launched with the 3DS

Boom. I think I'll buy a copy of DoA tonight cause I always wanted to play it. /hipster

Rockman

Yes it's a double edged sword and many will use it for evil. Maybe the devs can come up with some sort of creative way.

Jomjom

Banned
Has he mentioned if getting the Japanese version of whatever game it ends up being, will work for a Japanese 3DS?

The only thing I want out of this homebrew is to be able to import a Japanese 3DS and play US games.

Top Bottom