• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

there's 3ds games all over the internet already. the pirates are waiting for "homebrew" to use them

The pirates are going to be out of luck, at least at first. This exploit really is usermode only. It DOES mean that if a kernel level exploit is found they can do something more with it... but anyone capable of finding a kernel level exploit would easily have been able to find the user level exploit needed to get to it as well.

Hasney

The pirates are going to be out of luck, at least at first. This exploit really is usermode only. It DOES mean that if a kernel level exploit is found they can do something more with it... but anyone capable of finding a kernel level exploit would easily have been able to find the user level exploit needed to get to it as well.

smea himself has had CFW running from SD card, which this exploit won't allow, but Gateway are doing the same thing.

Honestly think that once the attack vector is released, it's only a matter of time until piracy... Unfortunately. I still think that overall, it's a good thing though.

Recent tweets imply the web page not be up before Friday (2 hours ago asked for a simple design with a 24 hour deadline).

There have been dumps of 3DS games for a long time now. The whole point of the Gateway flash card was to play dumped ROMs.
Encrypted dumps are completely useless outside of piracy. With the encryption broken you can see the whole file system so it is easier to find possible unused content and sound ripping might start to get somewhere (it is still a shame that so few games got official, complete soundtracks that we have to resort to ripping open the games themselves and working out how to emulate the sound).

I'm not sure if it is a development related to homebrew itself though.

GAF status: [x]TOLD

Maybe instead of speculating and buying the wrong things, you... I dunno... wait for the announced game instead of speculating?
At the same time I find myself at odds at people who tease with hints (i.e. an invitation to speculate) then get really angry that people run with them. I guess the tweets could have still happened without any hints.

L.O.R.D

Recent tweets imply the web page not be up before Friday (2 hours ago asked for a simple design with a 24 hour deadline).

Encrypted dumps are completely useless outside of piracy. With the encryption broken you can see the whole file system so it is easier to find possible unused content and sound ripping might start to get somewhere (it is still a shame that so few games got official, complete soundtracks that we have to resort to ripping open the games themselves and working out how to emulate the sound).

there is already a program on PC that extract the wav file from the image rom

Rich!

no, i meant decrypt the 3DS game ROM it self
so you can alter it if you want

Thats been possible for ages. Thats how we know stuff like OOT 3D is the same code as the N64 one and holds unused textures from the beta.

Look on the cutting room floor's page for it

Thats been possible for ages. Thats how we know stuff like OOT 3D is the same code as the N64 one and holds unused textures from the beta.

Look on the cutting room floor's page for it

Hah, I know this is an aside but that's awesome. I was telling people day one that it was most likely an enhanced port and not a 'remake' in the traditional sense... love that vindication.

Judging by the time tables on when Smea needs the website up and running, I'd say the release is probably going to be this weekend... Really hope the game is in the US eshop, the thought of having to track down a physical game is bothersome.

SmithnCo

Hah, I know this is an aside but that's awesome. I was telling people day one that it was most likely an enhanced port and not a 'remake' in the traditional sense... love that vindication.

Judging by the time tables on when Smea needs the website up and running, I'd say the release is probably going to be this weekend... Really hope the game is in the US eshop, the thought of having to track down a physical game is bothersome.

Should be by this weekend, because he said he'll likely work on region unlock this weekend after release. Hopefully that won't take too long.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
GAF status: [x]TOLD

Maybe instead of speculating and buying the wrong things, you... I dunno... wait for the announced game instead of speculating?

Oh well, glad I haven't opened it then

He's being an ass tho, you tease and hint of course people are gonna speculate, don't play dumb and condescending after

Oh well, glad I haven't opened it then

He's being an ass tho, you tease and hint of course people are gonna speculate, don't play dumb and condescending after

He's being an ass by releasing his exploit when he knows the most amount of people will be able to grab it? He's being an asshole by telling people not to trick people into buying games that likely won't contain his exploit?

He's a smarmy guy, for sure... but not sure how in this instance he's being an ass.

Hopefully my random assortment of 3DS games proves fruitful.

I don't really get the appeal of this exploit but if it means region free 3DS I'm in. I'll import smash 4.

BiggNife

So I'm guessing the assumption is that smea is going to release this tomorrow? I want to know as soon as it goes up so that I can buy whatever game is needed for the exploit before it sells out everywhere like Lumines PSP and GTA LCS did.

Rich!

So I'm guessing the assumption is that smea is going to release this tomorrow? I want to know as soon as it goes up so that I can buy whatever game is needed for the exploit before it sells out everywhere like Lumines PSP and GTA LCS did.

apparently it's on the eshop in most regions. So that's an option too.

Mr. RPG

I am so confused.. Can anyone tell me how this works? How would I install this..?

I really want to play Dragon Quest VII :(

rekameohs

Banned
Steel Diver isn't available on the eShop at all, I think. Can't be it then.

I'm really curios to know which game ends up being the game. More so than in the hack itself, to be honest. I love myself a good mystery. :p
Well the hack shouldn't be getting people too excited, since there's next to zero homebrew for 3DS right now. It's not like running the exploit will really let you do anything at this point. It's more just a case of this hopefully being the stepping stone toward some good stuff.

Rich!

Well the hack shouldn't be getting people too excited, since there's next to zero homebrew for 3DS. It's more just a case of this being the stepping stone toward some good stuff.

it's more a case of getting our systems hacked before Nintendo blocks it. That's the issue here.

Mr. RPG

Well the hack shouldn't be getting people too excited, since there's next to zero homebrew for 3DS right now. It's not like running the exploit will really let you do anything at this point. It's more just a case of this hopefully being the stepping stone toward some good stuff.

All I want to do is play Dragon Quest VII.

Seriously. I already have the game and everything.

rekameohs

Banned
it's more a case of getting our systems hacked before Nintendo blocks it. That's the issue here.
I'm curious if the hack works like Zelda TP's on Wii, or like Brawl's. TP's ran code through the system itself, so Nintendo easily patched it, but Brawl used data straight from the SD card, meaning that Nintendo's never been able to "fix" it.

Rich!

I'm curious if the hack works like Zelda TP's on Wii, or like Brawl's. TP's ran code through the system itself, so Nintendo easily patched it, but Brawl used data straight from the SD card, meaning that Nintendo's never been able to "fix" it.

Well, it's unlikely to be a save exploit due to the encryption.

but really, I don't have a clue. could be either.

gerudoman

Could the game be Rayman 3D? The game isn't in the european eShop (but it's in the american one) and can be found rather cheap.

technically they "fixed" it by releasing the wii mini, but that has no SD card slot at all

wrowa

Exactly. I don't expect 3DS homebrew to ever catch on as much as Wii homebrew did back in the day, the days of (proper, non-piracy) homebrew just seems to be over by now. Some emulators might be nice, but it remains to be seen if the 3DS is actually capable of emulating a lot of systems - and whether there are people intersted enough to port a lot of emulators in the first place. Sounds like the hack might become useless quite easily and I think that might stop a lot of people from ever even starting to work on homebrew for the 3DS.

Region-free gaming is really what interests me the most, but amazingly there aren't a whole lot of 3DS games that got released in the US but not in Europe in the first place. Fan-translations would be amazing, but I fear that won't be possible without also enabling piracy, so that seems unlikely to happen.

Top Bottom