• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 year. - 2013 Edition

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
RatskyWatsky - 0/20 TV | 0/25 Books | 4/50 Movies

TV

• Coming Soon

Books

• Coming Soon

Movies

• How to Steal a Million
  • Crash
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is a really cool documentary about the world's best (and oldest) sushi maker. He's basically done nothing other than make sushi for the last 75 years; he never takes a day off and only leaves work to attend funerals and such. His life is completely consumed by sushi, and he's loved every minute of it. It's definitely worth watching.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
kinoki - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies | 1/24 TV Seasons | 0/24 Video Games

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Moonrise Kingdom - ★★★★

TV Seasons
  • True Blood, season 5 - ★★½ - This show is really beginning to outstay its welcome. The first three seasons are really good but this is beginning to turn into a low budget soap opera that takes itself too seriously.

Video Games
  • Coming Soon

Tragicomedy - 1/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

Movies
  • Indie Game: The Movie -- 8/10
  • The Queen of Versailles -- 6/10, an infuriating look into the American dream, our obsession with McMansions, and the sense of entitlement that the 1% has. Interesting characters, but it loses steam after the first hour. The second half felt like a high production value version of Real Housewives.

LogicStep

I'm 100% sure that I will not meet the goal of 50 books (I don't read) but I need to start reading books if just for personal and cultural gain. If I read 1 book it'll be an achievement for me. Movies, I think I can do that and more. And I believe I will follow suit with what some people are doing regarding games and tv series.

zazrx - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies

zazrx - 0/12 tv series | 0/12 video games

Irnbru

Vicktormerv - 0/50 Books | 0/50 Movies | 0/10 TV shows | 0/10 Video Games

TV
Coming Soon

Books
Coming Soon

Movies
Coming soon

Totally down for this, now I need to figure out what Im going to watch and read

Laekon

Laekon - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books
Coming Soon

Movies
All Good Things

A pretty decent flix. Kristen Dunst is still really hot to me.

(Last update: 2013/03/16)

ColtraineGF - 0/50 Books | 13/50 Movies​

New read/watches:
Books
Movies
  • Real Steel - 7.5/10
  • Sherlock Holmes - 9/10
  • Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 9/10
  • Looper - 8/10
  • Fight Club - 9/10
  • Star Wars: A New Hope - 9/10
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 8/10
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - 8/10
  • Flight - 7/10
  • The Amazing Spider-Man - 8/10
  • Wreck-it Ralph - 8/10
  • The Bourne Legacy - 6.5/10
  • Total Recall (2012) - 7/10

Re-reads/watches:
Books
  • Jurassic Park - 9/10
Movies
  • The Terminal - 8/10

Review-ish things:
Books
  • Jurassic Park
    One of the first Crichton books I've read - I read this one years ago, before even seeing the movie. If you've seen the movie, the story framework is similar (two paleontologists and two kids go tripping 'bout a dinosaur park, "life finds a way", etc.), but the dinosaurs take on a different role here - the main goal is to tell you about scientific ambition gone too far, the consequences of inherited power wielded without learning it, and a little bit about the relationship between humans and nature. Compared to the movie, you get a feeling that the characters are only doing so much to affect what's going on around them, and that they are merely riding out the effects of what was started x amount of years before they got into the island. Malcolm is determined to pound that into the heads of everyone there, it seems - he spends good chunks of the book spouting monologues about chaos and paradigms (he's much more obsessed with it than the movie Malcolm, who talks about the running, and the screaming), and essentially he's proven right again and again by the swings the story takes, from one disaster to the next. In terms of characters, there are different portrayals here - Hammond is much more sinister and amoral here, the kids are slightly more competent in certain situations (the girl is the younger one here), Nedry has semi-valid reasons to steal the embryos (still a bad person, though), Grant has many moments of awesomeness through analysis, and there are other characters whose personalities were combined and molded to form the movie portrayals. The ending is a bit more ominous as well, though it seems a bit rushed given what Grant and co. discovers, and what happens next. In any case, it's a cool read, though you'll have to put in effort sometimes to understand what's being said, as there's a lot thrown at you at times. Plus, you get pretty fractals :)
Movies
  • Real Steel
    I liked the fights, but outside of the ring, it's awkward and sometimes hilarious interaction between a deadbeat dad who basically sold his kid for dosh, and a super, super cocky kid with a pinch of basement dweller. Throw in some obstacles outside, and inside, the ring (I especially liked the a-hole cowboy, with a light sprinkling of racist applied), and it's an underdog story with heart.
  • The Terminal
    T. Hanks plays the happy-go-luck foreigner stuck in an airport terminal, due to bureaucratic procedures out of his control. Lots to like (Zoe Saldana is <3 as geeky customs official) and hate (Zeta-Jones as flighty flight attendant is a bit too ugh when it comes to her relationships) about the movie. I personally really like it, especially watching Viktor make his way through various tight scrapes (he never manages to finish a cracker sandwich :( ).

Illithid Dude -1/50 books | 6/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Django Unchained

Books:

Catcher in the Rye

choodi

Banned
choodi - 0/50 Books | 5/50 Movies​

Films

1. The Man with the Iron Fists
    [*]The Men Who Stare at Goats [C]
    [*]The Inbetweeners Movie [A]
    [*]The Social Network [A]
    [*]The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey [D]

Books

Wow, The Hobbit was a pile of shit!

This is Peter Jackson channeling George Lucas.

Happy to see quite a few people have watched Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Great documentary!

Irnbru

Vicktormerv - 0/50 Books | 1/50 Movies | 0/10 TV shows | 0/10 Video Games

Movies- The Godfather (A)

Wow, haven't actually seen the entire thing. Absolutely spectacular movie. Interesting pacing, but incredible.

Nezumi

Update:

Nezumi - 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books:

Coming soon​

Movies:

• Brick
  • The Inspector General

Brick had me somewhat confused at first, until I realized I was watching a paradoy. From that point on I really enjoyed it.

We stumbled upon The Inspector General when aimlessly zapping through Netflix. Some of the humor might be hopelessly outdated, but overall a fun old movie to watch if you don't mind the protagonist breaking into song every five to ten minutes.

EVOL 100%

Another update, another obscure Korean novel that I doubt any of you will ever read

EVOL 100% - 3/50 books | 1/50 movies

Books:

1. I Have the Right to Destroy Myself - Kim Young-ha  - ***
2. &#50500;&#46993;&#51008; &#50780; - Kim Young-ha - ****
3. &#45224;&#54620;&#49328;&#49457; - Kim Hoon - ****

Movies:

1. Adaptation - *****

(ratings operate under a five star scale)

Next up will probably be Ikiru and The Exile and the Kingdom by Albert Camus.

edit: and now with ratings!

Chuck

Still without luck
Chuck - 0/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books

• Coming Soon

Movies

• Lincoln
  • Drive

Just finished Drive. Not very much to the movie at all, but I enjoyed it well enough. Definitely a style first kind of thing.

rukland

Rukland - 1/50 Books | 1/50 Movies

Books:
Foundation - Can't believe I waited this long to start this series. Amazing so far

Movies:
Looper - 7/10 was pretty much what I expected but it could have been a bit better.

Nezumi

Nezumi, I like you, but Brick isn't a parody.

What? I thought it to be a parody (or maybe a satire) of a hardboiled detective story in a highschool setting. I mean some of the dialog and characters were way over the top to be taken serious.

Ashes

Banned
What? I thought it to be a parody (or maybe a satire) of a hardboiled detective story in a highschool setting. I mean some of the dialog and characters were way over the top to be taken serious.

It's meant to be a modern take on a hardboiled story in a highschool setting.. it's a modern cult classic to some people... never mind.. I'm glad you at least like it. ;)

Nezumi

It's meant to be a modern take on a hardboiled story in a highschool setting.. it's a modern cult classic to some people... never mind.. I'm glad you at least like it. ;)

I agree with that but somehow I don't see, how exactly that conflicts with me perceiving it as a sort of parody or satire (always have trouble keeping the two apart). Unless paradoy has a worse connotation for you than it has for me.
But yeah, we can just agree that it was a real good movie, and I'm glad I watched it :)

Ashes

Banned
Isn't a parody the mocking of a genre?
This film was about rekindling the love for an oft forgotten classic cinema/literature genre.

EliCash

I forgot to update last year. In the end I got to about 90 movies and 30 books, I wasn't ever getting to 50 books though. I won't bother this year since I'm useless at updating.

Ashes

Banned
I forgot to update last year. In the end I got to about 90 movies and 30 books, I wasn't ever getting to 50 books though. I won't bother this year since I'm useless at updating.

Cheers for that. I'm gonna add you to the list in the other thread... You just got upgraded to winner status. woot¬!

BrokenEchelon - 1/50 Books | 5/50 Movies​

Books
  • Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Movies
  • Ip Man
  • Nosferatu
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

Booya

Neo Member
  • TV
    Dexter 7x12 - 6/10 (this series aint strong on finales, especially if the season was pretty decent compared to most others)
  • Books
    coming soon
  • Movies
    Rozmowy noc&#261; - 2/10 (2 points for the cutest redhead ive seen in a long time)

FillerB

First update, woo.

FillerB- 1/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books
  • The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
Movies
  • Iron Sky
  • Shaolin

ReiGun

Current Books: 0

Current Movies: 2
  • Django Unchained
  • Skyfall

Went to the movies yesterday and checked out Django and Skyfall. Enjoyed both.

Reading would be a lot easier if I didn't have this headache torturing me.

Mastadon

Banned
Mastadon - 1/50 Books | 5/50 Movies​

Books
  • Stories of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang

Amazing. Absolutely blew my mind. Probably the best collection of sci-fi short stories I've ever read. If you've got even an passing interest in the genre, you should really check it out.

Movies
  • Mary Poppins
  • Up
  • Elektra
  • Master of the Flying Guillotine

Classic Kung-Fu fun, can't go wrong!

Empty

Empty - 1/50 books | 3/50 films​

Books -

1. never let me go by kazuo ishiguro

Films -

1. the bicycle thief
2. brokeback mountain
3. the thin blue line

nlmg - coming of age story about the relationships between doomed children coming to terms with their place in a sc-fi dystopia. love ishiguro's simple but smooth prose. he's so good at bringing to life protagonists internal conversations in his books, especially in situations where the characters just don't get what other people are saying or meaning despite turning it over. enjoyed how the sci-fi setting stayed in the background for most of it, and wish the heavy exposition reveal was left unsaid, especially as more ambiguity would help with the central metaphor being made.

ttbl - amazing documentary where errol morris attempts to prove a wrongful life imprisonment for the murder of a cop, and in doing so leads to the man being freed after the release of the film (though wiki tells me he got no monetary compensation despite a decade in prison unjustly :(). this film made me really angry and chilled me, and i think the film is actually about the death penalty really, presenting the argument for and against in showing how the justice system can fuck up and as such a permanent punishment is unconscionable given human frailty and fallibility, while also presenting the kind of horrible character and un-redeemable criminal that many people think deserve only death. it's very gripping and stylishly made - i loathed the use of a cinematic reconstruction of the crime on seeing it crop up at first but the combination of the philip glass music and the repetition created such an effective mood.

Atrophis

Atrophis - 0/50 Books | 5/50 Movies

Movies

1. Up (3/5, watched 01/01)
2. We Need To Talk About Kevin (4/5, watched 02/01)
3. Deadgirl (2/5, watched 03/01)
4. Jiro Dreams of Sushi (4/5, watched 03/01)
5. Stake Land (4/5, watched 04/01)

Books

None started yet but Perdido Street Station will be started soon.

tris

Neo Member
tris - 3/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books

• A Storm of Swords
  • Argo
  • The Pearl

Movies

• Wreck it Ralph
  • The Hobbit

Setre

Setre - 1/50 Books | 4/50 Movies

Books:

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Movies:

Total Recall (2012)
Looper
Troll Hunter
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

Kud Dukan

Kud Dukan - 1/50 Books | 2/50 Movies​

Books:
  • The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars: Dispatches From the Front Lines by Michael E. Mann

Movies:
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Django Unchained

Illithid Dude -1/50 books | 8/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Django Unchained
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition

Books:

Catcher in the Rye

A quick defense on including the Extended Editions of the LOTR trilogy. I feel that there is enough new footage in the extended editions to validate a separate entry. And besides, unless I suddenly turn blind, I think I'm going to meet the 50 movie criteria either way.

smiggyRT

smiggyRT - 0/50 books 6/50 movies

Books
  • Coming Soon

Movies
  • Cloud Atlas (1st Jan)
  • Dredd (1st Jan)
  • Killing Them Softly (2nd Jan)
  • Indie Game The Movie (3rd Jan)
  • Lincoln (4th Jan)
  • Killer Joe (4th Jan)

Will be watching Lincoln at some point today, still no books though.

Illithid Dude -1/50 books | 9/50 movies

Movies:

Killer Joe
The Frighteners
Primer
Django Unchained
Leon: The Professional
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition
Dazed and Confused

Books:

Catcher in the Rye

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nezumi, I like you, but Brick isn't a parody.

I liked Brick as well and I thought it was a bit of a parody/pastiche. It's certainly not a 'realistic' movie in any sense, the characters and their dialogue and everything about the film is artificial and carefully put together. In some ways, I wonder if it's the subjective reality of the JGL character, that HE sees everything through this noir lens, when in reality they could be talking like real high-schoolers.

Also, this thread be crazy :p there is no way I could read 50 books in a year, I spent a couple of months reading Hyperion last year alone. 50 movies is easy though, that's just one a weekend.

EDIT: I read about an hour a day. 12 books a year is totally do-able. 24 if they were all sub-300 page PKD novels. But 50...? naaah

Sendou

Hey, why not?

Books 0/50
  • Coming Soon

Movies 3/50
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • American History X
  • Seven

Though reading 50 books can be a challenge but it shouldn't hurt to try.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
An hour a day covers a lot of books. You can totally do this.

You're a bad influence, you know that? :) Wait! Do comics count? Because I read like three graphic novels just this week alone. I see in the OP that weeklies don't count (although when I can buy and read 12 issues in a week, that's 2 graphic novels worth...)

OK, these threads intrigue me every time I see them. I'm in.

EDIT: this is from jan 1st.

Jedeye Sniv - 1/50 books | 3/50 movies​

Books:

Halo: The Thursday War (currently reading)

Movies:

Life of Pi (5/5)
Up (4/5)
Sleepwalk with Me (4/5)

I won't count comics until I get desperate later in the year. It only takes an hour or two to read most GNs, that's nothing compared to the hours and hours it takes to read most novels.

Top Bottom