• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

72 years ago today, the US dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki, Japan

cwmartin

This holiday I have been to the Nagasaki Memorial Museum. Hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians died because of one bomb. Teachers and their class full of children, a mother with her newborn doing the grocery shopping, annihilated in a flash. Without warning or time to capitulate, the US destroyed another city. I cannot even attempt to comprehend that people are so indoctrinated by US propaganda that they can even start to think that is was a good thing. Hiroshima was understandable (even that is stretching), but Nagasaki was unforgivable.
And yet, what did the world learn from that? As exposed in the second of two rooms, nothing. Nuclear tests and military dick waving contests are more important than millions (or even billions) of civilian lives.

This is not true. (bolded)

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...s/csi-studies/studies/vol46no3/article07.html

Leaflets were dropped on 33 Japanese cities, and the government was told what was going to happen. Please don't intentionally spread information that the bomb was dropped 100% without warning to the people of Japan.

I feel like it's very much up for debate whether or not the two nukes (and all the firebombing) really was necessary, but it certainly was a war crime no matter how you spin it. Just because your enemy is evil doesn't mean that you can be evil too and just pretend like it's his fault. Acknowledging that would be a good first step.

I agree. This feels too much like judging history from the winner's perspective.
It was the perfect way to test these new weapons, there's no denying about that.

It might have been the lesser evil, but people fiercely defending this choice of you know, fucking evaporating 2 cities filled with innocent people, still strikes me as tasteless. WW2 showed us a world and the actions of humanity that can't make anyone feel proud, tbh.

Ferr986

This holiday I have been to the Nagasaki Memorial Museum. Hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians died because of one bomb. Teachers and their class full of children, a mother with her newborn doing the grocery shopping, annihilated in a flash. Without warning or time to capitulate, the US destroyed another city. I cannot even attempt to comprehend that people are so indoctrinated by US propaganda that they can even start to think that is was a good thing. Hiroshima was understandable (even that is stretching), but Nagasaki was unforgivable.
And yet, what did the world learn from that? As exposed in the second of two rooms, nothing. Nuclear tests and military dick waving contests are more important than millions (or even billions) of civilian lives.

I've been in Hiroshima Memorial too, and as you may know because you were too, no one there (or almost no one) has any grudge against the US, they know no one thinks it was good. No one (but idiots) were happy that it happened, everyone understand it was one of the most tragic moments in WW2.
The discussion isn't about if it was good or bad but if it was posible to stop the war without an horrible number of civilians death, and sadly it pretty much wasn't.

Also, as much as I hate that nuclear weapons exists, it's a big component on why it's improbable to have a WW3. No one want to be the one that basically destroy society as we know.

slit

Please point out who said it was a good thing. I see people saying an option was picked out a bunch of horrible ones.

Dopus

Banned
Please point out who said it was a good thing. I see people saying an option was picked out a bunch of horrible ones.

I think the wider point they're trying to make when you include the following line is that it wasn't nessasary, or at least the bombing of Nagasaki wasn't. Historians generally agree with this point and look at the Red invasion marking the game over.

Draxal

Japan functionally lost the war at the Battle of Leyte Gulf (really they lost it earlier, but this is when the IJN truly died) which was October 23-26, 1944. They continued the war for an additional 10 months all in a desperate attempt to save their territories where war crimes were being committed. Some of the regime were ready to surrender, (hell the IJN didn't want the war in the first place), but there was definitely no consensus for them to surrender.

If MacArthur forced the removal of imperial authority, WW2 wouldn't have ended after the second bombing.

CSJ

Has anyone explained why a demonstration of power was off the table instead of killing civilians outright? "Look at what we've made, the next one is on your head if you don't stop".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think the wider point they're trying to make when you include the following line is that it wasn't nessasary, or at least the bombing of Nagasaki wasn't. Historians generally agree with this point and look at the Red invasion marking the game over.

You would be wrong.

Has anyone explained why a demonstration of power was off the table instead of killing civilians outright? "Look at what we've made, the next one is on your head if you don't stop".

It came up several times in this thread already.

It's a very contested point. I used to believe it but I read about the only battle that the Soviets lost more men in Manchuria, which is the invasion of the Kuril Islands, curiously an amphibious assault. Plays to the side of saying the Red Army could assault land just fine but were ill equipped when it came to amphibious landings, which fighting Japan would've needed.

Plum

Because
1) Nukes were insanely expensive at the time
2) The Japanese wouldn't have surrendered unconditionally which was the only way to truly end the war

Missed the leaflets, thank you.

I've been in Hiroshima Memorial too, and as you may know because you were too, no one there (or almost no one) has any grudge against the US, they know no one thinks it was good. No one (but idiots) were happy that it happened, everyone understand it was one of the most tragic moments in WW2.
The discussion isn't about if it was good or bad but if it was posible to stop the war without an horrible number of civilians death, and sadly it pretty much wasn't.

Also, as much as I hate that nuclear weapons exists, it's a big component on why it's improbable to have a WW3. No one want to be the one that basically destroy society as we know.

"The best revenge against your worst opponent is to forgive them." It is no use trying to start a never ending spiral of doom, so the best thing you can do is to stop the battle and forgive your opponent. Therefore the message of both Memorial museums (Nagasaki and Hiroshima are different ones with a very distinct way of sending their message) is not to blame the US, but to pray "never again".

That is also the reason why everyone states "Hiroshima is understandable". Nagasaki, however, is a different story. It is sometimes also seen as the first move in the cold war towards Russia, rather than the finishing move in WWII.

Dopus

Banned
You would be wrong.

It came up several times in this thread already.

Uh, no they don't at all.

If you take Tsuyoshi Hasegawa's view, both the bombs and the Soviet invasion took them by surprise. It was a shock to the Supreme Council. The last thing they wanted was a Red occupation given what the Soviets had already done before along with the mass rapes that occurred. It was far more favourable to surrender to Truman.

In addition, Japanese scientists were only able to report back in the very same day of the Soviet invasion and the attack on Nagasaki.

Between traditionalists, consensus and revisionists, it's not controversial to state that most historians agree that the second bomb wasn't nessesary. There is a compelling argument to be made.

Look up Peter Kuznick and Gar Alperovitz and if you're still of the same opinion that the consensus is that the bombing of Nagasaki was nessasary then there is some dishonestly floating around here.

Japan functionally lost the war at the Battle of Leyte Gulf (really they lost it earlier, but this is when the IJN truly died) which was October 23-26, 1944. They continued the war for an additional 10 months all in a desperate attempt to save their territories where war crimes were being committed. Some of the regime were ready to surrender, (hell the IJN didn't want the war in the first place), but there was definitely no consensus for them to surrender.

If MacArthur forced the removal of imperial authority, WW2 wouldn't have ended after the second bombing.

Yeah. Both Germany and Japan should have surrendered like half year before they did as they had essentially lost the war already and were just sacrificing their own citizens for nothing. Millions of lives would had been saved. Final months in both theaters were totally pointless human slaughter.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you take Tsuyoshi Hasegawa's view, both the bombs and the Soviet invasion took them by surprise. It was a shock to the Supreme Council. The last thing they wanted was a Red occupation given what the Soviets had already done before along with the mass rapes that occurred. It was far more favourable to surrender to Truman.

In addition, Japanese scientists were only able to report back in the very same day of the Soviet invasion and the attack on Nagasaki.

Between traditionalists, consensus and revisionists, it's not controversial to state that most historians agree that the second bomb want nessesary. Traditionalists aside of course, but there is a compelling argument to be made.

Look up Peter Kuznick and Gar Alperovitz and if you're still of the same opinion that the consensus is that the bombing of Nagasaki was nessasary then there is some dishonestly floating around here.

I already am aware of all the names you listed. I was just looking at a H-Diplo round table involving them. These are minority views on alternative explanations on the ending of the pacific theater.

Hexa

It is sometimes also seen as the first move in the cold war towards Russia, rather than the finishing move in WWII.

That's a perspective I've never seen before actually. It's usually that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both motivated by wanting to take control of Japan before the Soviets got involved. Nagasaki was planned before the Soviet invasion, so I don't see how the situation changed compared to Hiroshima such that such a judgment would apply to one but not the other. As for both, while I have no doubt it was considered, which there is evidence for, the notes and letters from Truman and his advisors show pretty clearly that wasn't the main reason or even one of the main reasons.

slit

Between traditionalists, consensus and revisionists, it's not controversial to state that most historians agree that the second bomb wasn't nessesary. There is a compelling argument to be made.

Nobody said there were no arguments to be made. Your assertion that the majority agree with your view is what is poppycock.

Dopus

Banned
I already am aware of all the names you listed. I was just looking at a H-Diplo round table involving them. These are minority views on alternative explanations on the ending of the pacific theater.

Nobody said there were no arguments to be made. Your assertion that the majority agree with your view is what is poppycock.

I was hasty with my use of consensus when there isn't one. To state that these are minority views is dismissive and actually quite preposterous. Regardless, Cocaloch (an actual historian) had some interesting posts from a few pages back that I'm sure you'd both be interested in.

Magitex

"Without a doubt, no, there were no leaflets dropped on them to warn them specifically about the atomic bombings. For Hiroshima they would simply not have done such a thing — the entire point of the bomb was to be a massive, secret surprise, and warning would not be compatible with that. "

"All of the sites that assert that there were specific atomic bomb warning leaflets dropped appear to be based on a basic misconception about the difference between them writing up a leaflet after Hiroshima (a lot of them have bad dates on them, e.g. "circa August 6th", which imply they dropped them on or before Hiroshima, but the contents of the leaflets refer to things that happened after the Hiroshima attack) and actually dropping them. The 1946 report clarifies that while they did prepare a leaflet, they did not end up dropping it until after Nagasaki for logistical reasons."

I always thought they did actually drop the leaflets.. the more you know!

StayDead

"Without a doubt, no, there were no leaflets dropped on them to warn them specifically about the atomic bombings. For Hiroshima they would simply not have done such a thing — the entire point of the bomb was to be a massive, secret surprise, and warning would not be compatible with that. "

"All of the sites that assert that there were specific atomic bomb warning leaflets dropped appear to be based on a basic misconception about the difference between them writing up a leaflet after Hiroshima (a lot of them have bad dates on them, e.g. "circa August 6th", which imply they dropped them on or before Hiroshima, but the contents of the leaflets refer to things that happened after the Hiroshima attack) and actually dropping them. The 1946 report clarifies that while they did prepare a leaflet, they did not end up dropping it until after Nagasaki for logistical reasons."

I always thought they did actually drop the leaflets.. the more you know!

Nice to warn people to leave Nagasaki AFTER you already bomb it.

cwmartin

I'd like to see a source for this "no leaflet" position. Every source I can find, which includes scans and copy of the leaflets dropped, has record that they were dropped on August 1st over 33 Japanese cities. Not to mention that the government of Japan was told many times what was going to happen.

Hexa

I'd like to see a source for this "no leaflet" position. Every source I can find, which includes scans and copy of the leaflets dropped, has record that they were dropped on August 1st over 33 Japanese cities. Not to mention that the government of Japan was told many times what was going to happen.

Those leaflets, the LeMay leaflets, were dropped. However, they weren't specific to the atom bomb, listing a while bunch of cities, most of which were destroyed by firebombings.

http://www.atomicheritage.org/key-documents/warning-leaflets

Magitex

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/wp-c...y-Psychological-Warfare-Manhattan-Project.pdf

I think they still dropped the default fire bombing one at hiroshima, just not the one about the atomic bomb.
I just happened upon this at https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...without_the_atomic_bomb_the_invasion_plan_of/ while reading about the war.

"The historical record is unclear, but it seems as though these leaflets did not make it to Nagasaki until after it, too, had been hit by an atomic bomb." Well that probably wasn't much help..

cwmartin

I see. I guess this is more about the details and nuances of the leaflets themselves. But someone made an assertion earlier that this was just a complete surprise to everyone, which I was refuting.

I don't know enough of the propaganda history to comment much further.

Hexa

I see. I guess this is more about the details and nuances of the leaflets themselves. But someone made an assertion earlier that this was just a complete surprise to everyone, which I was refuting.

I don't know enough of the propaganda history to comment much further.

The atom bomb itself was meant to be a surprise. The shock value and mystery were supposed to be crucial aspects of convincing the Japanese leadership to surrender.
The leaflets were more for the sake of psychological warfare than being an actual warning. They basically amounted to saying that the US would destroy everywhere the military has presence in Japan so all civilians should leave. This did result in hampering the Japanese war effort. But with total war, the military pretty much has a presence everywhere, so telling them to leave isn't exactly very useful. Where are they supposed to go?
Providing specific warnings with dates and exact locations on bombings isn't an option because then the military would also interfere, moving troops and POW and such.

4Tran

Technically, MacArthur had the authority to remove and prosecute Hirohito. He just decided not to because he knew better than anyone else.

It's a very contested point. I used to believe it but I read about the only battle that the Soviets lost more men in Manchuria, which is the invasion of the Kuril Islands, curiously an amphibious assault. Plays to the side of saying the Red Army could assault land just fine but were ill equipped when it came to amphibious landings, which fighting Japan would've needed.
The Soviet plans only went so far as to invade Hokkaido. The Japanese defenses there were very weak, and it's plausible that they could have succeeded.

What the real shock was that the Soviets would attack Japan at all; they didn't declare war until 8-August-1945, and only a few months earlier, the two countries had a non-Aggression Pact going. Everyone knew that any chance of avoiding a military defeat was impossible by 1945, but the hardliners were holding onto the hope of a limited surrender negotiated through the Soviet Union. Once the USSR became an enemy, that was no longer plausible, and it's probably the biggest contributor to the Japanese surrender.

The problem is that leaflets don't mean anything. Enemy powers drop leaflets all the time, and the primary purpose of them is propaganda. No one is going to change their behavior just because they got something like this.

Piecake

That's not really true

A staple of Hiroshima Revisionism has been the contention that the government of Japan was prepared to surrender during the summer of 1945, with the sole proviso that its sacred emperor be retained. President Harry S. Truman and those around him knew this through intercepted Japanese diplomatic messages, the story goes, but refused to extend such an assurance because they wanted the war to continue until atomic bombs became available. The real purpose of using the bombs was not to defeat an already-defeated Japan, but to give the United States a club to use against the Soviet Union. Thus Truman purposely slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Japanese, not to mention untold thousands of other Asians and Allied servicemen who would perish as the war needlessly ground on, primarily to gain diplomatic advantage.

One might think that compelling substantiation would be necessary to support such a monstrous charge, but the revisionists have been unable to provide a single example from Japanese sources. What they have done instead amounts to a variation on the old shell game. They state in their own prose that the Japanese were trying to surrender without citing any evidence and, to show that Truman was aware of their efforts, cite his diary entry of July 18 referring to a “telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace.” There it is! The smoking gun! But it is nothing of the sort. The message Truman cited did not refer to anything even remotely resembling surrender. It referred instead to the Japanese foreign office’s attempt (under the suspicious eyes of the military) to persuade the Soviet Union to broker a negotiated peace that would have permitted the Japanese to retain their prewar empire and their imperial system (not just the emperor) intact. No American president could have accepted such a settlement, as it would have meant abandoning the United States’ most basic war aims.

In particular, Sherwin and Bird berated me for failing to refer to Tsuyoshi Hasegawa’s Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan. “Hasegawa’s research into Soviet and Japanese archives,” they wrote, “is replete with massive new and important ‘wisps’ of evidence about the causes of Japan’s surrender. It seems telling to us that his work is ignored.” What Sherwin and Bird apparently did not know, or hoped their readers did not know, was that although Hasegawa agreed with revisionists on a number of issues he explicitly rejected the early surrender thesis. Indeed, Hasegawa in no uncertain terms wrote that “Without the twin shocks of the atomic bombs and the Soviet entry into the war, the Japanese never would have surrendered in August.” So much for the “massive new and important ‘wisps’ of evidence.”

Undeterred by this fiasco and still unable to produce even a single document from Japanese sources, Bird has continued to peddle the fiction that “peace” meant the same thing as “surrender.”

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/52502

Dopus

Banned

Hasegawa is pretty critical of the traditionalist stance. He's also not a revisionist and thus while my original statement implying consensus is wrong, the revisionist stance isn't a minority viewpoint. It has a number of very reputable historians arguing the case. And then you have consensus historians.

If you want to quote Hasegawa then here's one from The End of the Pacific War: Reappraisals.

The argument presented by Asada and Frank that the atomic bombs rather than Soviet entry into the war had a more decisive effect on Japan's decision to surrender cannot be supported. The Hiroshima bomb, although it heightened the sense of urgency to seek the termination of the war, did not prompt the Japanese government to take any immediate action that repudiated the previous policy of seeking Moscow's mediation. Contrary to the contention advanced by Asada and Frank, there is no evidence to show that the Hiroshima bomb led either Togo or the emperor to accept the Potsdam terms. On the contrary, Togo's urgent telegram to Sato on August 7 indicates that, despite the Hiroshima bomb, they continued to stay the previous course. The effect of the Nagasaki bomb was negligible. It did not change the political alignment one way or the other. Even Anami's fantastic suggestion that the United States had more than 100 atomic bombs and planned to bomb Tokyo next did not change the opinions of either the peace party or the war party at all.

Rather, what decisively changed the views of the Japanese ruling elite was the Soviet entry into the war. It catapulted the Japanese government into taking immediate action. For the first time, it forced the government squarely to confront the issue of whether it should accept the Potsdam terms. In the tortuous discussions from August 9 through August 14, the peace party, motivated by a profound sense of betrayal, fear of Soviet influence on occupation policy, and above all by a desperate desire to preserve the imperial house, finally staged a conspiracy to impose the ”emperor's sacred decision" and accept the Potsdam terms, believing that under the circumstances surrendering to the United States would best assure the preservation of the imperial house and save the emperor.

This is, of course, not to deny completely the effect of the atomic bomb on Japan's policymakers. It certainly injected a sense of urgency in finding an acceptable end to the war. Kido stated that while the peace party and the war party had previously been equally balanced in the scale, the atomic bomb helped to tip the balance in favor of the peace party.[100] It would be more accurate to say that the Soviet entry into the war, adding to that tipped scale, then completely toppled the scale itself.
.Link

Cocaloch

Damn, some people needed a better high school world history/US history course

What answer do you think they will learn?

I actually agree with this in principle, because I think if people had better history education then most of them would realize that they aren't equipped to offer anything meaningful to the discussion. But even very few upper level college classes actually are able to spend much time with teaching students how to think historically outside of the very best institutions, so even this is a moot point.

I think these posts are actually incredibly dismissive, because what people are really getting at is that everyone that disagrees with your side of the argument needs to go back to basic history where they will find the answer. But that answer isn't to be found in high school level textbook style history.

After the first several threads I've completely give up on getting people to actually change their minds about the substance of events, but it'd be nice if we could get people that honestly know very little besides having maybe read a pop history or two and been told by their dad what happened to recognize that they really don't know even to say anything meaningful about the state of the discussion. It's certainly ridiculous how many people, the vast majority of whom I assume are not historians of any field, are making claims about what historians as a community are saying.

Piecake

Hasegawa is pretty critical of the traditionalist stance. He's also not a revisionist and thus while my original statement implying consensus is wrong, the revisionist stance isn't a minority viewpoint. It has a number of very reputable historians arguing the case. And then you have consensus historians.

Both Hasegawa and the revisionist school seem to lack a great of evidence to support their case.

The oldest and most prominent critics of the traditionalist school have been the “revisionist school,” starting with Gar Alperovitz in the 1960s. The revisionists argue that Japan was already ready to surrender before the atomic bombs. They say the decision to use the bombs anyway indicates ulterior motives on the part of the US government. Japan was attempting to use the Soviet Union to mediate a negotiated peace in 1945 (a doomed effort, since the Soviets were already planning on breaking off their non-aggression pact and invading). Revisionists argue that this shows the bombings were unnecessary.

The other piece of evidence behind this claim is the US Strategic Bombing Survey, conducted after the war. It concluded that Japan would have surrendered anyway before November (the planned start date for the full-scale invasion). Some historians have identified flaws in the survey, based on contemporary evidence. Others have argued that the US had no reason to trust the sincerity of the Japanese outreach to the Soviets, and that evidence from within Japan indicates that the Japanese Cabinet was not fully committed to the idea of a negotiated peace.

Revisionists have also contended that surrender could have happened without the bombings if the US had compromised on its goal of unconditional surrender. The sticking point for the Japanese was retaining the emperor in his position. It is unclear if they would have accepted the reduction of the emperor to a figurehead, as eventually happened after the war. Many officials advocated for maintaining the emperor’s authority as a condition for surrender even after the Hiroshima bombing.

A government survey after the fact is quite weak, and the other points were addressed in the quote I responded.

They state in their own prose that the Japanese were trying to surrender without citing any evidence and, to show that Truman was aware of their efforts, cite his diary entry of July 18 referring to a “telegram from Jap Emperor asking for peace.” There it is! The smoking gun! But it is nothing of the sort. The message Truman cited did not refer to anything even remotely resembling surrender. It referred instead to the Japanese foreign office’s attempt (under the suspicious eyes of the military) to persuade the Soviet Union to broker a negotiated peace that would have permitted the Japanese to retain their prewar empire and their imperial system (not just the emperor) intact. No American president could have accepted such a settlement, as it would have meant abandoning the United States’ most basic war aims

That's not simply protecting the Emperor.

As for Hasegawa

Another school of thought dismisses parts of both the traditionalist and revisionist theories, emphasizing instead the Soviet invasion of Japan-controlled Manchuria. The most prominent proponent of this theory is Tsuyoshi Hasegawa, who has argued that the invasion was far more important than the bombs in contributing to the surrender. Hasegawa’s arguments are partly based on chronology: the Japanese government made important decisions about surrender after the invasion, rather than after the Hiroshima bombing three days earlier. The Nagasaki bombing, by all accounts, did not change their calculus very much. Also, while the emperor cited only the atomic bomb in his speech to the people, a later rescript addressing troops mentioned the invasion specifically.

Hasegawa also has focused on trying to parse the decision-making process within the Japanese Cabinet. He argues that the Japanese were somewhat accustomed to bombing after the firebombing of numerous cities, including Tokyo. The atomic bombs were, to them, simply an escalation in scale, not an entirely new threat. He also asserts that Japan would have considered the Soviet invasion a bigger shock because of the underlying betrayal. The Japanese were also motivated, according to Hasegawa, by the desire to not allow the Soviets to have a hand in the post-war process. The aristocratic government feared the Soviet Union might foment―or directly bring about―a communist overthrow of their power structure.

Hasegawa’s theory has gained popularity, with a notable convert being Pulitzer Prize winner Richard Rhodes, but it is far from universally accepted. Critics have alleged that his methodology involves too much guesswork and that he interprets sources too liberally.

I'd have to agree with the critics.

http://www.atomicheritage.org/history/debate-over-japanese-surrender

If there is more compelling evidence, I'd be happy to read it. Its been a while since I read any book on the bombing, so the specific facts are a bit hazy.

Cocaloch

Both Hasegawa and the revisionist school seem to lack a great of evidence to support their case..

Are you a historian? If not then I want to know how frequently you feel the need to inform physicists that they don't have enough evidence to say whatever they are saying in a paper.

Also do you not find it odd at all to use some random webpage from a group called the Atomic Heritage Foundation to make arguments about what historians as a group are saying and believe? Also you seem to be quoting it in a misleading way, that webpage, clearly not really an authority anyway, is even pointing out that the issue is contentious with ongoing debate among historians.

Piecake

Are you a historian? If not then I want to know how frequently you feel the need to inform physicists that they don't have enough evidence to say whatever they are saying in a paper.

Majored in history, pursued a Doctorate in history for a year, and am now a social studies teacher.

But I apologize for all of us plebs for daring to have the temerity to argue about historical arguments and evidence without proper qualifications. Heaven forbid!

Cocaloch

Majored in history, pursued a Doctorate in history for a year, and am now a social studies teacher.

But I apologize for all of us plebs for daring to have the temerity to argue about historical arguments and evidence without proper qualifications. Heaven forbid!

Would you do that to a physicist?

Act offended all you want, but this is the crux of a much larger problem.

If you had said "I don't like _____'s argument because," and then given a decent number of well thought out issues with it, I wouldn't have minded. But you didn't. You just declared that a historian didn't meet your standard of evidence based solely on a random webpage, which wasn't even agreeing with your premise.

Piecake

I have little understanding of physics, so no.

But apparently, according to you, us plebs don't have the ability to think critically about arguments or evidence and we should just leave it up to our betters.

I have respected your obviously vast historical knowledge, but you are coming across right now as an elitist prick who is offended that people you deem unqualified are daring to question the work of proper historians like you.

I really hope you don't take this attitude into your teaching or when you become a professor...

Genuine question: are the american history school books different then in Europe? From what I remember from highschool, The A-bomb was completely unnecessary as the war was almost over.

I'm an American and I had to read Hiroshima in 8th grade

https://www.amazon.com/dp/8087888820/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Definitely not a pro-bomb book. This was in the 80's and at the height of The Cold War, shit was scary, I was convinced that I wouldn't graduate High School because there was going to be a nuclear war.

Piecake

Act offended all you want, but this is the crux of a much larger problem.

If you had said "I don't like _____'s argument because," and then given a decent number of well thought out issues with it, I wouldn't have minded. But you didn't. You just declared that a historian didn't meet your standard of evidence based solely on a random webpage, which wasn't even agreeing with your premise.

I have already admitted that it has been too long since I read Hasegawa's book and too long since I read a book on the atomic bombing to go into specifics. While I thought Hawegawa's book was interesting, my takeaway was similar to the critics in that quote so I used it. I didn't find the argument and evidence he used about the incredible importance of the soviet invasion to be convincing. I thought it was a factor, but not to the point that he was arguing.

Cocaloch

I have little understanding of physics, so no.

But you've unilaterally decided your qualified enough to dismiss academic historians totally. Why is that? If you had majored in physics as an undergrad do you think you would have felt comfortable critiquing a physicist? What's different about physics and history that makes you feel more comfortable doing that with history?

But apparently, according to you, us plebs don't have the ability to think critically about arguments or evidence and we should just leave it up to our betters.

That's not what I'm saying, and I was very explicit about my points above at great length. There is a crisis of legitimacy among historians. It's partially due to anti-intellectualism in general, but History seems to have gotten the worst of it in terms of legitimacy. That's partially our fault for not tending our own garden and instead attaching our epistemological legitimacy to other programs, Whiggery, Marxism, "Scientific History", and such. Nonetheless, it is a problem.

Again if you had sat down and made a well reasoned argument about the problems with a historians work that would have been one thing, but you didn't. You just declared it unsound history. Do you not see how it might be a problem if non-experts in pretty much any field could just declare , again not argue, that expert research isn't just wrong, but methodologically flawed?

I have respected your obviously vast historical knowledge, but you are coming across right now as an elitist prick who is offended that people you deem unqualified are daring to question the work of proper historians like you.

I understand how this is an upsetting viewpoint to hear. But this,and the related problems of scientist and postitivism, are the most important issues with the popular understanding of history today, and has vast repercussions for not just our understanding of history, but our understanding of almost every single social issue. If you've respected me before, you've seen me post about history before. You've probably seen me engage with other poster's ideas about the past in a less dismissive way. What happened here that is different? It's partially the fact that this question is very pressing, but there's more to it than that.

I really hope you don't take this attitude into your teaching or when you become a professor...

It's too late for that sorry. But I'm also generally not as direct with my students about this because my students generally just ignore, perhaps more accurately just never hear, what historians, including myself, say. This is also a problem, but far less pressiming, because most of that dismissal comes from not caring about history, not from dismissing the legitimacy of the community of historians.

I have already admitted that it has been too long since I read Hasegawa's book and too long since I read a book on the atomic bombing to go into specifics. While I thought Hawegawa's book was interesting, my takeaway was similar to the critics in that quote so I used it. I didn't find the argument and evidence he used about the incredible importance of the soviet invasion to be convincing. I thought it was a factor, but not to the point that he was arguing.

Then the better way to put that is that is that his evidence wasn't sufficient to convince you. I'm totally fine with that because it's not a value judgement about his methodology.

I feel bad that this is coming off as prickish to you, I really don't mean it that way. But I also see no way to assert that expert communities need to be given epistemological legitimacy over lay people that doesn't sound prickish, because our society's understandings of both equality and epistemology, which I find quite problematic, make the premise itself seem morally wrong. Which is funny, because in effect this is clearly what we already have in society. The issue is that the levels of legitimacy we afford things are all over the place, and most people don't realize what is going on with why they think they know what they know.

petran79

Banned
I recently read this article

The nuclear bomb didn't beat Japan — Stalin did

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-nuclear-bomb-didnt-beat-japan-stalin-did-2017-8

Despite the existence of these three powerful objections, the traditional interpretation still retains a strong hold on many people’s thinking, particularly in the United States. There is real resistance to looking at the facts. But perhaps this should not be surprising. It is worth reminding ourselves how emotionally convenient the traditional explanation of Hiroshima is — both for Japan and the United States. Ideas can have persistence because they are true, but unfortunately, they can also persist because they are emotionally satisfying: They fill an important psychic need. For example, at the end of the war the traditional interpretation of Hiroshima helped Japan’s leaders achieve a number of important political aims, both domestic and international.

Put yourself in the shoes of the emperor. You’ve just led your country through a disastrous war. The economy is shattered. Eighty percent of your cities have been bombed and burned. The Army has been pummeled in a string of defeats. The Navy has been decimated and confined to port. Starvation is looming. The war, in short, has been a catastrophe and, worst of all, you’ve been lying to your people about how bad the situation really is. They will be shocked by news of surrender. So which would you rather do? Admit that you failed badly? Issue a statement that says that you miscalculated spectacularly, made repeated mistakes, and did enormous damage to the nation? Or would you rather blame the loss on an amazing scientific breakthrough that no one could have predicted? At a single stroke, blaming the loss of the war on the atomic bomb swept all the mistakes and misjudgments of the war under the rug. The Bomb was the perfect excuse for having lost the war. No need to apportion blame; no court of enquiry need be held. Japan’s leaders were able to claim they had done their best. So, at the most general level the Bomb served to deflect blame from Japan’s leaders.
..................................................................................................
But attributing Japan’s defeat to the Bomb also served three other specific political purposes. First, it helped to preserve the legitimacy of the emperor. If the war was lost not because of mistakes but because of the enemy’s unexpected miracle weapon, then the institution of the emperor might continue to find support within Japan.

Second, it appealed to international sympathy. Japan had waged war aggressively, and with particular brutality toward conquered peoples. Its behavior was likely to be condemned by other nations. Being able to recast Japan as a victimized nation — one that had been unfairly bombed with a cruel and horrifying instrument of war — would help to offset some of the morally repugnant things Japan’s military had done. Drawing attention to the atomic bombings helped to paint Japan in a more sympathetic light and deflect support for harsh punishment.

Finally, saying that the Bomb won the war would please Japan’s American victors. The American occupation did not officially end in Japan until 1952, and during that time the United States had the power to change or remake Japanese society as they saw fit. During the early days of the occupation, many Japanese officials worried that the Americans intended to abolish the institution of the emperor. And they had another worry. Many of Japan’s top government officials knew that they might face war crimes trials (the war crimes trials against Germany’s leaders were already underway in Europe when Japan surrendered). Japanese historian Asada Sadao has said that in many of the postwar interviews “Japanese officials … were obviously anxious to please their American questioners.” If the Americans wanted to believe that the Bomb won the war, why disappoint them?

Attributing the end of the war to the atomic bomb served Japan’s interests in multiple ways. But it also served U.S. interests. If the Bomb won the war, then the perception of U.S. military power would be enhanced, U.S. diplomatic influence in Asia and around the world would increase, and U.S. security would be strengthened. The $2 billion spent to build it would not have been wasted. If, on the other hand, the Soviet entry into the war was what caused Japan to surrender, then the Soviets could claim that they were able to do in four days what the United States was unable to do in four years, and the perception of Soviet military power and Soviet diplomatic influence would be enhanced. And once the Cold War was underway, asserting that the Soviet entry had been the decisive factor would have been tantamount to giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

It is troubling to consider, given the questions raised here, that the evidence of Hiroshima and Nagasaki is at the heart of everything we think about nuclear weapons. This event is the bedrock of the case for the importance of nuclear weapons. It is crucial to their unique status, the notion that the normal rules do not apply to nuclear weapons. It is an important measure of nuclear threats: Truman’s threat to visit a “rain of ruin” on Japan was the first explicit nuclear threat. It is key to the aura of enormous power that surrounds the weapons and makes them so important in international relations.

But what are we to make of all those conclusions if the traditional story of Hiroshima is called into doubt? Hiroshima is the center, the point from which all other claims and assertions radiate out. Yet the story we have been telling ourselves seems pretty far removed from the facts. What are we to think about nuclear weapons if this enormous first accomplishment — the miracle of Japan’s sudden surrender — turns out to be a myth?

Piecake

Then the better way to put that is that is that his evidence wasn't sufficient to convince you. I'm totally fine with that because it's not a value judgement about his methodology.

That was what I meant from the beginning, and I used that quote to help illustrate that point. I have no judgement about his methodology because I honestly didn't examine that when I read it. I was reading it for argument and the evidence he used to support that argument. I didn't find it completely convincing.

I can see why my use of that quote would cause some confusion though, especially to a professional historian who likely focuses a lot more on methodology than the rest of us.

Cocaloch

That was what I meant from the beginning, and I used that quote to help illustrate that point. I have no judgement about his methodology because I honestly didn't examine that when I read it. I was reading it for argument and the evidence he used to support that argument. I didn't find it completely convincing.

I can see why my use of that quote would cause some confusion though, especially to a professional historian who likely focuses a lot more on methodology than the rest of us.

Yeah. I mean I would like more people to engage with history and historians, but it's vitally important for me the we create a space in which they can engage with them that works within the parameters of the expert community.

I also see how most lay people, but as a social studies teach I think you would see it too, would miss the stakes involved. It's not just because I want people to trust me when I say things that I want to buttress up the legitimacy of the expert community of historians. I've received many many papers that GAF would certainly not approve of to put it lightly, including gems like comparing slavery to owning a refrigerator. A lot of these more actively damaging narratives take root and grow because historians have increasingly lost legitimacy in the exact same period where historical work has become significantly more nuanced and, at the risk of ironic whiggery, better. In fact, I'd wager part of the reason we've lost legitimacy is because our work is better now, and thus far more often in contention with various received narratives, than it was before.

Top Bottom