• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

95% of women who've had abortion don't regret it, study

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna get flack for this but whatever.

The pro life argument isn't that the woman has no say about her body DE facto or that her opinion doesn't matter or that her life should be entirely dictated by others, it's that the life conceived has just as much a right to live as she does and it is unfair to deny that right simply because that life cannot currently respond. It would be far more productive for you and others to interface without being so incredibly reductive.

Pregnancy is the only situation where people argue that a person has to give up their body in some sense to keep something alive.

You can't force say a kidney donation. Hell I could rip out yours and you still couldn't force me to give you mine. Hell you can't even force an organ donation from a dead person.

FuuRe

The pro life argument isn't that the woman has no say about her body DE facto or that her opinion doesn't matter or that her life should be entirely dictated by others, it's that the life conceived has just as much a right to live as she does and it is unfair to deny that right simply because that life cannot currently respond. It would be far more productive for you and others to interface without being so incredibly reductive.

This

Pillville

it is unfair to deny that right simply because that life cannot currently respond.

I can't believe I'm actually joining in on this topic.. but..

It's not because it can't "respond", it's because it's living off of another person's body. If a woman doesn't want her body to be an incubator, she doesn't have to. The fetus is attached to her, using her body and can't survive without it.

I don't see how you can possibly enforce a law that says women's body must be used as an incubator for the duration of a pregnancy. To enforce this law effectively, we'd have to force women to give up lots of freedoms.

Do we make women take a monthly test to make sure she's not pregnant?
Do we investigate every miscarriage as a possible homicide?
Do we start forcing pregnant women to eat only certain foods?
Do we start forcing pregnant women to take certain medicines?

or do we let them do what they want with their bodies?

FuuRe

"If anything, i would feel less regrets if i gave my baby in adoption rather than killing him."

I

I, me.

How does that denies everyone's right to abort?

I wouldn't, i don't think you would, but i'm not gonna force you to keep your babies, stop being so touchy.

Read his post.

He wants to deny others the right to an abortion because, and I quote:

"If anything, i would feel less regrets if i gave my baby in adoption rather than killing him."
That's a perfectly valid way to state one's opinion on a moral issue. Wouldn't it be much worse, from your perspective, if he said "I would feel less regrets if everyone else gave their babies up for adoption?" He's only speaking for himself, which is a very limited scope.

That's mostly a semantic issue, though. Let's say he was prescribing adoptions instead of abortions for everyone.

If a person believes all human life is precious, and that an embryo is human life, you can't blame him for wanting to stop the termination of that life.

Like if I say, "all countries should eliminate the death penalty because life is sacred," would you call me self-centric and egotistical because I'm ignoring all cultures' moral codes and justice systems while promoting my own? Probably not because you'd understand my motivation and empathize if not agree with it.

I'm not saying an embryo is a human life, but you can't fault someone who believes it is for wanting to protect it, even at the expense of others' values.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Some people in here need to check their #adultprivilege. Isn't abortion the ultimate expression of "fuck you, I got mine"?

Opiate

I agree, as someone who does support abortion rights.

Creating reductive strawmen that we can knock down does everyone a disservice. It means I don't learn if/why I hold the beliefs I do (since the only challenge to my belief is a cartoon argument I made up and swiftly knocked down) and it means the people I disagree with (rightly) feel mischaracterized, misinterpreted, or ignored.

Gotchaye

But what about adoptions? there are a lot of couples unable to have kids, why can't they take care of the unwanted babies? i don't conceive why abortion seems to be the only viable choice.

If anything, i would feel less regrets if i gave my baby in adoption rather than killing him.

And guys, honestly, i think you need to have a kid to understand that personhood is invalid in this argument, as then it would make sense to kill babies, people in vegetative state, or with alzheimer's, etc.

There's no magic switch or binary value about life and the right to it, personhood is out of this argument

I don't understand this part. A huge advantage of a personhood-based theory of the morality of abortion is that it doesn't rely on binary concepts. Like, what is it you're advocating if not a "magic switch" binary based on (I'm guessing) fertilization? Personhood-based theories can say that personhood is a spectrum, ranging from bacteria at one end to a normal adult human at the other. Maybe it's even multidimensional - a capacity to feel pain may confer a right to not be tortured, while a capacity to anticipate the future may confer a right against being killed (just as examples). Many animals have some degree of personhood, which is why they have some rights but not as many as adult humans. Children have some degree of personhood, which is why they have some rights but not as many as adult humans, although it's probably reasonable to suspect that part of why we treat children so well is that we're partial to them (if ever our human biases were going to color our moral views, it's here, right?). Or, conversely, part of why we treat animals so poorly is that we think they're tasty. As children grow up they gain more and more right to determine what they do with their lives. That's not really controversial - nobody's saying that five year olds should be able to vote.

It depends what you mean by "vegetative state", but lots of people actually are pretty comfortable allowing the killing of people who are in many ways already dead. Often we try our best to let the person who is in the coma or whatever make the decision beforehand, by explicitly writing down what they'd want to have happen or by asking people who knew the person best what they'd have wanted. This ends up looking a lot like respecting someone's wishes for how they want their body treated after death. Of course, if there's a significant chance that someone might come out of the coma, or is conscious in it, we're really just talking about something that looks a lot like a long nap, morally speaking. People who are asleep don't cease to be people. I'm also not sure what's so wholly un-personlike about people with Alzheimer's. I mean, sure, they lack some capacities and so perhaps some rights, which we respond to by doing things like lying to them constantly about whether their long-dead siblings are still alive. But otherwise they're a whole lot more "there" than almost anything else in this world.

But what's the alternative? You've got a totally value-less egg just sitting there, then it contacts a sperm cell and suddenly - magically - you've got something with the moral value of an adult human?

kswiston

This may shock you to your core but not every woman wants children and won't change their mind even if they are 50 or on their death bed.

Even more shocking. A lot of women who have abortions go on to have one or more children when they are in a better place emotionally/financially to raise them properly.

Opiate

I don't understand this part. A huge advantage of a personhood-based theory of the morality of abortion is that it doesn't rely on binary concepts. Like, what is it you're advocating if not a "magic switch" binary based on (I'm guessing) fertilization? Personhood-based theories can say that personhood is a spectrum, ranging from bacteria at one end to a normal adult human at the other. Maybe it's even multidimensional - a capacity to feel pain may confer a right to not be tortured, while a capacity to anticipate the future may confer a right against being killed (just as examples). Many animals have some degree of personhood, which is why they have some rights but not as many as adult humans. Children have some degree of personhood, which is why they have some rights but not as many as adult humans, although it's probably reasonable to suspect that part of why we treat children so well is that we're partial to them (if ever our human biases were going to color our moral views, it's here, right?). Or, conversely, part of why we treat animals so poorly is that we think they're tasty. As children grow up they gain more and more right to determine what they do with their lives. That's not really controversial - nobody's saying that five year olds should be able to vote.

It depends what you mean by "vegetative state", but lots of people actually are pretty comfortable allowing the killing of people who are in many ways already dead. Often we try our best to let the person who is in the coma or whatever make the decision beforehand, by explicitly writing down what they'd want to have happen or by asking people who knew the person best what they'd have wanted. This ends up looking a lot like respecting someone's wishes for how they want their body treated after death. Of course, if there's a significant chance that someone might come out of the coma, or is conscious in it, we're really just talking about something that looks a lot like a long nap, morally speaking. People who are asleep don't cease to be people. I'm also not sure what's so wholly un-personlike about people with Alzheimer's. I mean, sure, they lack some capacities and so perhaps some rights, which we respond to by doing things like lying to them constantly about whether their long-dead siblings are still alive. But otherwise they're a whole lot more "there" than almost anything else in this world.

But what's the alternative? You've got a totally value-less egg just sitting there, then it contacts a sperm cell and suddenly - magically - you've got something with the moral value of an adult human?

This very effectively summarizes my view. However we confer rights on things, it is most clearly and directly tied to that things' ability to understand and feel the world. As you said, we generally acknowledge that a Bacteria has fewer rights than a cockroach which has fewer rights than an elephant which has fewer rights than a 5 year old human which has fewer rights than an adult human.

It is reasonable to question where on that spectrum a blastocyst is, or a 1 month old human fetus is. Both are considerably less intellectually and emotionally capable than a cockroach, a thing we kill readily.

Champagne

Banned
That's a perfectly valid way to state one's opinion on a moral issue. Wouldn't it be much worse, from your perspective, if he said "I would feel less regrets if everyone else gave their babies up for adoption?" He's only speaking for himself, which is a very limited scope.

That's mostly a semantic issue, though. Let's say he was prescribing adoptions instead of abortions for everyone.

If a person believes all human life is precious, and that an embryo is human life, you can't blame him for wanting to stop the termination of that life.

Like if I say, "all countries should eliminate the death penalty because life is sacred," would you call me self-centric and egotistical because I'm ignoring all cultures' moral codes and justice systems while promoting my own? Probably not because you'd understand my motivation and empathize if not agree with it.

I'm not saying an embryo is a human life, but you can't fault someone who believes it is for wanting to protect it, even at the expense of others' values.
I don't believe in an objective morality, so I'm not entirely sure I would empathize with you saying that other countries should completely eliminate the death penalty. I would call you self-centered to believe that you know what's best for other cultures and societies, especially those you know nothing about and couldn't even begin to understand. That's literally the definition of being self-centered.

I believe in a certain level of universal moral pragmatism of course, i.e. I don't agree a society should ever exist in which people are free to kill others at will, etc. etc., but I don't agree that my personal opinion should magically supersede another culture's decision to allow for the death penalty in cases in which an individual or group of individual have committed such heinous acts of terrorism towards others in that culture. Who would I be to pretend that I know enough about another culture/society to even begin to start telling them how they should live and operate, regardless of what I personally believe?

That's the problem with universal moral codes in cases where the morality of situation is incredibly complex and predicated heavily on things like semantics, religious beliefs, cultural values, etc.

Would someone that's steadfastly opposed to anyone getting an abortion make an exception for a 16 year old girl that was raped and impregnated against her will? Or would this person tell the 16 year old girl that she's out of luck and has to deliver the child anyway?

Does that person make an exception for such an extreme case? If they do, then who gets to decide who has the right to an abortion and who doesn't? Who gets to be the moral arbitrator?

I can't fault anyone that personally would never get an abortion and thus disagrees with it on a personal level, but I absolutely can and do fault somebody who believes so strongly in their opinion that they then believe it should be reflected within the law, and thus nobody should be able to get an abortion.

tcrunch

I agree, as someone who does support abortion rights.

Creating reductive strawmen that we can knock down does everyone a disservice. It means I don't learn if/why I hold the beliefs I do (since the only challenge to my belief is a cartoon argument I made up and swiftly knocked down) and it means the people I disagree with (rightly) feel mischaracterized, misinterpreted, or ignored.

A significant part of the pro-life faction or argument DOES stem from religious beliefs and sexism, because otherwise they would be supporting sex ed and low-cost birth control options (both extremely effective ways to reduce rates of abortion) rather than harassing women outside of Planned Parenthood clinics and tinkering with state laws to make it more difficult for women to access healthcare.

Opiate

A significant part of the pro-life faction or argument DOES stem from religious beliefs and sexism, because otherwise they would be supporting sex ed and low-cost birth control options (both extremely effective ways to reduce rates of abortion) rather than harassing women outside of Planned Parenthood clinics and tinkering with state laws to make it more difficult for women to access healthcare.

I agree, but this is always the case. Almost all widely adopted positions (whatever the topic) are supported in part by some people who have poor, illogical reasons for believing what they do, even if the thing they believe is ultimately correct. There are probably people out there who believe that climate change exists, but they believe so not because scientific consensus has shaped their views but because they are anti-capitalist and would support any argument which implied flaws in laissez faire economics. It makes sense, to me, to engage the best argument that can be presented, not one of the poor ones, unless explicitly prompted.

A strawman argument is often not one that is literally supported by no one; instead, it's an argument supported by the most facile members of a group. Because it's much easier to engage and argue against that position, many will ignore the better arguments by more reasonable people and focus entirely on the arguments made by people they can more readily knock down.

Does that person make an exception for such an extreme case? If they do, then who gets to decide who has the right to an abortion and who doesn't? Who gets to be the moral arbitrator?
Aha, so yours is a philosophical argument. I can dig subjective moral codes that change from one society to the next, but you should recognize that you're operating under one, big, universal value: autonomy. You're valuing autonomy and the freedom of choice more than other virtues, including human life. So you're already engaging in an objective ethical code that happens to be different from someone else's :)

This discussion can get very nuanced and interesting but I'll save it for another thread where it won't distract from the original topic.

MartyStu

Well duh.

I do not mean to be glib, but it is not so surprising that people who seek to undo something--sometimes with great effort--are less likely to regret that decision.

Opiate

The bigger question would be how many women regret NOT having an abortion?

And how many would actually admit it?

I'd ask another question: what do we consider a tolerable threshold for the percentage of women who regret their abortion?

One could make an argument that if even 1% of women regretted the abortion, that's too much. I'm not saying I agree with that, but I don't think it's absurd, either. Conversely, would we be okay if 90% of women didn't regret their decision? What about 80%? 50%? Where do we draw the line and say, "Okay, maybe we should rethink this?"

Consider our legal system as another example. Let's imagine that our legal system convicts people correctly 90% of the time (I'm not sure that's true, this is only an example). Well, 90% is a pretty big number. But is that a satisfactorily high percentage such that we can all say "yep, that's pretty good?" Or should we be in up in arms saying "10% of people who go to jail are wrongfully imprisoned! Unacceptable!" What if the fair conviction rate was 99%? Is it okay if 1% of those we convict are unfairly convicted?

If your answer is "there is no tolerable threshold of unfair convictions. Even .01% is too much," then I would point out that someone could say the same of abortions, and what percentage of women regret them.

Please note one last time that I do not necessarily agree with the argument I've just presented. I'm only trying to show why this is more complicated than "95% is unquestionably good, abortion haters pwned."

MultiCore

I think there's actually some more distinctions to be made about this study.

Women who have abortions are seldom likely to look back and think, "You know, I could have made it work, and I wish I had kept the baby."

However, that doesn't mean they haven't learned something from the process; I'd submit that many wish they had made some different choices on the path that lead to them having an abortion in the first place.

I think if you asked them if they wish they could have avoided an abortion to begin with, you'd get a high percentage of yes answers.

I basically think the question doesn't tell us anything. "People agree with choices they make; all this and more at 11!"

MartyStu

I think there's actually some more distinctions to be made about this study.

Women who have abortions are seldom likely to look back and think, "You know, I could have made it work, and I wish I had kept the baby."

However, that doesn't mean they haven't learned something from the process; I'd submit that many wish they had made some different choices on the path that lead to them having an abortion in the first place.

If think if you asked them if they wish they could have avoided an abortion to begin with, you'd get a high percentage of yes answers.

I basically think the question doesn't tell us anything. "People agree with choices they make; all this and more at 11!"

Usually you would be correct, but there is a strong movement claiming that abortions always lead to regret down the line.

The is empirical evidence refuting that claim.

Mael

Regarding abortion, I think it's the more humane thing to grant that right to women.
I mean making it illegal doesn't mean that someone who clearly doesn't want a baby will deliver the baby.
Making it illegal only serve to push people who want to have abortion to more risky, illegal means.
I'm not sure why anyone is ok with that consequence.

tcrunch

I agree, but this is always the case. Almost all widely adopted positions (whatever the topic) are supported in part by some people who have poor, illogical reasons for believing what they do, even if the thing they believe is ultimately correct. There are probably people out there who believe that climate change exists, but they believe so not because scientific consensus has shaped their views but because they are anti-capitalist and would support any argument which implied flaws in laissez faire economics. It makes sense, to me, to engage the best argument that can be presented, not one of the poor ones, unless explicitly prompted.

A strawman argument is often not one that is literally supported by no one; instead, it's an argument supported by the most facile members of a group. Because it's much easier to engage and argue against that position, many will ignore the better arguments by more reasonable people and focus entirely on the arguments made by people they can more readily knock down.

Fair enough.

Pregnancy is the only situation where people argue that a person has to give up their body in some sense to keep something alive.

You can't force say a kidney donation. Hell I could rip out yours and you still couldn't force me to give you mine. Hell you can't even force an organ donation from a dead person.

No one (or at least no one of sound mind) willfully consents to an option to have their kidneys fail and necessitate a donation, and neither does the potential donor. Except in cases of rape or intoxication, you have explicit consent from both parties for said intercourse. Despite what some may believe you don't immediately die for lack of sex, it is an entirely optional recreational act from a biological standpoint. Many people lead perfectly healthy and fulfilling lives without doing so. Therefore, it is the responsibility of those who do consensually partake to both be knowledgeable of and accountable for the results, which includes inexorably the possibility for the conception of human life even with the strongest contraceptive measures.

Regardless of the above, however, that act produces a self determining human life which I believe has every right to continue existing. Yes, that necessitates a burden on the mother (which the father is every bit as responsible for carrying, and in those cases in which they cannot do so on their own, then we as a society have a duty to assist) until such time as medical science advances enough that we can bring about full development without the womb the life was conceived in, but it is a contingency that is implicitly consented to in every consensual sexual act whether one likes to admit it or not.

Mael

No one (or at least no one of sound mind) willfully consents to an option to have their kidneys fail and necessitate a donation, and neither does the potential donor. Except in cases of rape or intoxication, you have explicit consent from both parties for said intercourse. Despite what some may believe you don't immediately die for lack of sex, it is an entirely optional recreational act from a biological standpoint. Many people lead perfectly healthy and fulfilling lives without doing so. Therefore, it is the responsibility of those who do consensually partake to both be knowledgeable of and accountable for the results, which includes inexorably the possibility for the conception of human life even with the strongest contraceptive measures.

Regardless of the above, however, that act produces a self determining human life which I believe has every right to continue existing. Yes, that necessitates a burden on the mother (which the father is every bit as responsible for carrying, and in those cases in which they cannot do so on their own, then we as a society have a duty to assist) until such time as medical science advances enough that we can bring about full development without the womb the life was conceived in, but it is a contingency that is implicitly consented to in every consensual sexual act whether one likes to admit it or not.
That would be a good point if access to birth controls and sexEd was widely available which I hear isn't exactly the case in the USA.

Dude Abides

Banned
No one (or at least no one of sound mind) willfully consents to an option to have their kidneys fail and necessitate a donation, and neither does the potential donor.

This is not true at all. Every time you drive a car you are consenting to a situation where another person may be injured as a result of your actions and need an organ donation. Should you be legally compelled to donate in those circumstances?

This is not true at all. Every time you drive a car you are consenting to a situation where another person may be injured as a result of your actions and need an organ donation. Should you be legally compelled to donate in those circumstances?

I think the point was no one goes "yo kidneys, fucking fail on me". Not that there are not situations where you may be involved in where you harm another person.

Mael

I think the point was no one goes "yo kidneys, fucking fail on me". Not that there are not situations where you may be involved in where you harm another person.

I don't think anyone goes "Ok pregnancy time" either and then goes "abortion time!" either.

I don't think anyone goes "Ok pregnancy time" either and then goes "abortion time!" either.

I know I agree with you. But that doesn't make the car crash example any more valid. Getting in a car is not consemting to kidney failure. Its a situation where your kidmeys "could" fail but are we really going to be so obtuse and miss the main point that was being made?

Mael

I know I agree with you. But that doesn't make the car crash example any more valid.

Considering how some states make birth control and sexEd inaccessible it's not as outlandish as you claim.
If condom and birth control is cheap and wildly accessible as well as sexEd properly done, outside of some fringe cases you could argue that abortion is not THAT important.
Without proper education it's not like people fully know what they're going into.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The study is flawed in many ways. I love how the article in the OP disregards all other studies before it, just like that.

What's GAF take on the president of Planned Parenthood caught talking about selling parts of the babies they've aborted? I heard they have earned millions this way, very shady and apparently illegal.

Considering how some states make birth control and sexEd inaccessible it's not as outlandish as you claim.

Its pretty outlandish to claim driving a car is consentimg to causing someone kidney failure and as such implyig that someome may have legal presidence to claim anothers kidney. I am pro choice god damn its just dishonest to compare those two situations.

aliengmr

Why should late term abortions be illegal if a fetus can't have the same rights as a human being until they are outside the uterus?

Because unless its a medical emergency there is no logical reason to put the mother's life at risk at 8 months. And, that late, there are some ethical considerations that aren't present in the first trimester.

Just putting this out there: my sister was born prematurely at 6 months because of health issues. She was in intensive care for months but made it through.

A 6 month old baby is fully developed human. Just because you killed it inside a womb is legal? Its murder.

And if you have to chose between the mother and the baby? What then? Tossing around words like "murder" is really easy when you are ignorant of all the complications involved.

Mael

The study is flawed in many ways. I love how the article in the OP disregards all other studies before it, just like that.

What's GAF take on the president of Planned Parenthood caught talking about selling parts of the babies they've aborted? I heard they have earned millions this way, very shady and apparently illegal.
You're a member, you can make a thread if you want.

Its pretty outlandish to claim driving a car is consentimg to causing someone kidney failure and as such implyig that someome may have legal presidence to claim anothers kidney. I am pro choice god damn its just dishonest to compare those two situations.
Driving a car is consenting to the risk of getting into an accident and possibly dying or losing a kidney.
The possible consequence of sex is childbirth.
While the 2 don't have the same probability of happening (except maybe in Russia?) doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
With proper contraception you can avoid most need for abortion as with proper training you can avoid most need for a morgue space in the nearest hospital due to a car accident.

Because unless its a medical emergency there is no logical reason to put the mother's life at risk at 8 months. And, that late, there are some ethical considerations that aren't present in the first trimester.

Late abortions are special in that are far from being common and should be treated as case by case basis anyway.

Driving a car is consenting to the risk of getting into an accident and possibly dying or losing a kidney.
The possible conseque. e of sex is childbirth.
While the 2 don't have the same probability of happening (except maybe in Russia?) doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
With proper contraception you can avoid most need for abortion as with proper training you can avoid most need for a morgue space in the nearest hospital due to

The point that was made was a kidney transplant is dome by twp.people consenting and the failure happens at an instamt without the consent of Its owner. It's such a obtuse argument to imply drivimg a car is comsenting to possible kidney failure. It's an argument that basically is saying do nothing becauase everything has an associated risk. No one consents to kidney failure. It just happens. Pregnancy doesn't just happen out of nowhere. You're kidneys could fail right now while reading neogaf, doesnt mean that it was consented to nor does it even imply anything different about the original statement. Its a poor argument.

I agree with you in terms of access to better contraceptives and better education. Its important for people to have as much knowledge as possible and ways to protect themselves. But my issue is that a car crash and a pregnancy are not even slightly similar. Everyday life involves risks we have to take because its just a damn necessity. Those actions do not form the basis of a rational argument. Do I consent to getting sick everytime I breathe populated air?

If condom and birth control is cheap and wildly accessible as well as sexEd properly done, outside of some fringe cases you could argue that abortion is not THAT important.
Without proper education it's not like people fully know what they're going into.

Regardless of access to both control you also have the option to not have sex until such time as you are ready for a child or not have any at all, though many scoff at the idea. Also, no contraceptive is 100 percent effective, so conception is always a possibility.

Also, the car crash analogy fails because there is a second party/externality involved which acts to artificially bring about the situation. Conception is a self determined consequence of sex.

Mael

The point that was made was a kidney transplant is dome by twp.people consenting and the failure happens at an instamt without the consent of Its owner. It's such a obtuse argument to imply drivimg a car is comsenting to possible kidney failure. It's an argument that basically is saying do nothing becauase everything has an associated risk. No one consents to kidney failure. It just happens. Pregnancy doesn't just happen out of nowhere. You're kidneys could fail right now while reading neogaf, doesnt mean that it was consented to nor does it even imply anything different about the original statement. Its a poor argument.

I agree with you in terms of access to better contraceptives and better education. Its important for people to have as much knowledge as possible and ways to protect themselves. But my issue is that a car crash and a pregnancy are not even slightly similar.

If you have literally no information on how childbirth happens you're not consenting to the risk pregnancy by consenting to sex.
Usually the side that is against choice is also against contraceptive and sexEd.
This is the case in the US as well as France btw.
To an unprepared, ignorant teens pregnancy is pretty much like a car crash, making abortion illegal is only going to push them toward vastly more dangerous solutions to their problem.

Regardless of access to both control you also have the option to not have sex until such time as you are ready for a child or not have any at all, though many scoff at the idea. Also, no contraceptive is 100 percent effective, so conception is always a possibility.

Also, the car crash analogy fails because there is a second party/externality involved which acts to artificially bring about the situation. Conception is a self determined consequence of sex.
In some cases you absolutely do not.
Making contraception harder to find is also part of what religious conservatives want, sure contraception isn't 100% effective that doesn't mean it's useless.
There's also an externality involved in sex that has basically no consequence directly brought on them.
If recreational sex only involved women, we wouldn't be considering the legality of abortion.

dramatis

I can't say that his criticism is valid without really digging into the study, but I can say for certain that you're not addressing his criticism.

However, the fact that he's wondering about it actually is encouraging. It's always discouraging to see presumably bright, left-minded people rush to endorse a study that confirms their beliefs without truly cross-examining it.
This is what he wrote:
What I find weird is this line: "Overall, 37.5% of eligible women consented to participate[...]". (Last paragraph 'Sample and procedures') You'll obviously find more people willing to talk about something they don't regret doing.

I find the number to be incredibly high, which is a very good thing, but I don't believe the percentage is quite that high.
I was reading the study before he linked it (as I wanted to know for myself), and to me the study is fair with regards to measurable qualities for a sample (race, socioeconomic background, age range, etc.). snap0212 had a question, sure. But he picked up only on his particular line and articulated his suspicion of the study's bias while ignoring the very paragraph above his line stating exactly how broad the eligibility of the study was.

The opposing arguments I presented are: 1) Pasted from the study itself, the eligibility for the study was fairly broad, so the pool of potential subjects for the study is large, making 37.2% of a large applicable pool a reasonable sample of women. 2) The study was done over 3 years; women who did not chose to participate could have done so for a variety of reasons. Should the 'suspicion' of women participating in the study because they are more likely to have no regrets be enough to invalidate the study? I disagree. It's implying as though the 62.5% didn't participate solely because they specifically didn't want to talk about their abortions, as if women have no lives outside of studies about long-term emotions post-abortion. They couldn't have possibly declined to participate because they saw it as a long-term commitment to something they may not be able to uphold, or that they had no interest in the study, or that they were busy with other things and saw the study as a non-priority.

Is 95% high? Yes. But that does not mean there are no women who regret their abortions. Of 670 participants that would mean 33 of them regretted their abortions. If you overlay those percentages over a million women, 50k of them would regret their abortions. It's not a small number; it's probably just not as high as some people thought it would be. But snap0212 is suspicious of these findings, because he 'believes' the percentage of women who regret their abortions should be higher. What is that belief founded on? Personal feelings? I'm supposed to address his personal feelings on how the numbers don't feel right? Because that is the so-called criticism.

Thank you for putting in "left-minded" and unfortunately letting slip your political intent. And thank you for implying that I'm in a rush to "endorse" a study that is just as equally being ignored as useless. I know the feeling. It's discouraging to see people discount studies when it doesn't match exactly with their personal views too.

If you have literally no information on how childbirth happens you're not consenting to the risk pregnancy by consenting to sex.
Usually the side that is against choice is also against contraceptive and sexEd.
This is the case in the US as well as France btw.
To an unprepared, ignorant teens pregnancy is pretty much like a car crash, making abortion illegal is only going to push them toward vastly more dangerous solutions to their problem.

Pretty much everyone can put the basic idea of "if you have sex you may get pregnant" to thought. Unless you genuinely believe lots of teenagers out there do not know where babies come from.

I'm pro choice pro contraceptive 100%. But like I have been implying from the start, some of these comparisons being made are just pure dishonest. I don't want abortion illegal at all but like, 13 year old kids know sex causes babies at the bare minimum.

It is not the same as a random car crash where no one consented to any of it. Its like saying if you walk in the rain and get hit by lightening you consented to the.possibility. Okay yes but at what point is the comparison just ridiculous?

Dude Abides

Banned

You don't understand the argument. CrunchyFrog appeared to be asserting that it is acceptable to force women to consent to the use of their bodies by another person because the woman has consented to a situation where they know that is a possibility. But the same holds true with driving a car or engaging in any activity which you know creates a non-trivial risk of injury to another person.

Similarly, when you have a child, you know that child may have some kind of medical problem, the successful treatment of which would entail an organ donation. Should the state require parents to be bone marrow donors if a child develops leukemia?

It is not the same as a random car crash where no one consented to any of it. Its like saying if you walk in the rain and get hit by lightening you consented to the.possibility. Okay yes but at what point is the comparison just ridiculous?

Someone certainly consented to driving a car. A pregnant woman does not consent to getting pregnant. She (usually) consents to having sex. Having sex creates a risk of pregnancy, just as driving creates a risk of injuring someone else.

You don't understand the argument. CrunchyFrog appeared to be asserting that it is acceptable to force women to consent to the use of their bodies by another person because the woman has consented to a situation where they know that is a possibility. But the same holds true with driving a car or engaging in any activity which you know creates a non-trivial risk of injury to another person.

Similarly, when you have a child, you know that child may have some kind of medical problem, the successful treatment of which would entail an organ donation. Should the state require parents to be bone marrow donors if a child develops leukemia?

Someone certainly consented to driving a car. A pregnant woman does not consent to getting pregnant. She (usually) consents to having sex. Having sex creates a risk of pregnancy, just as driving creates a risk of injuring someone else.

Unless I lost track of what I was reading, the actual comparison beimg made was with a kidney donation you have 2 consenting parties and the actual kidney failure itself was not an action either party actually consented to happening. That was being compared with an abortion in which only one of the parties (should younconsider a fetus a party of course) actually has the ability to consent.

Someome then said "no you consent to causing kidney failure when you drive, should you have to give yiur kidney if this occurs". This is what I am responding to just to make it clear here. I'm saying, no one consents to a medical problem. The purpose of sex is child creation. That is its biological aim, not its consequence. Everything we do to avoid it (contraceptives etc) are more bandaids to that reality. The purpose of a car is transportation, it might cause injury but to imply if you damage someones kidney in an accident we might consider using your kidney to replace it is rather off mark.

I dont sit here sayimg no one have sex (god no), I jist took issue with the counter example that was givin.

I do think my original argument was lost though because I agree with everyone sayimg both are risks in he general.semse of the word. I took issue with the implication that its reasonable to compare giving.an organ due to the distinct difference in the purpose of sex vs a car or a sport. Or in short I have no issue with abortion or cncraceptives just to make my position clear.

Unless I lost track of what I was reading, the actual comparison beimg made was with a kidney donation you have 2 consenting parties and the actual kidney failure itself was not an action either party actually consented to happening. That was being compared with an abortion in which only one of the parties (should younconsider a fetus a party of course) actually has the ability to consent.

Someome then said "no you consent to causing kidney failure when you drive, should you have to give yiur kidney if this occurs". This is what I am responding to just to make it clear here. I'm saying, no one consents to a medical problem. The purpose of sex is child creation. That is its biological aim, not its consequence. Everything we do to avoid it (contraceptives etc) are more bandaids to that reality. The purpose of a car is transportation, it might cause injury but to imply if you damage someones kidney in an accident we might consider using your kidney to replace it is rather off mark.

I dont sit here sayimg no one have sex (god no), I jist took issue with the counter example that was givin.

I do think my original argument was lost though because I agree with everyone sayimg both are risks in he general.semse of the word. I took issue with the implication that its reasonable to compare giving.an organ due to the distinct difference in the purpose of sex vs a car or a sport. Or in short I have no issue with abortion or cncraceptives just to make my position clear.

We're arguing fantastical hypotheticals anyway. My point was that under no other circumstances is someone legally forces to donate their bodily functions for another living breathing fully formed burthed humsn being with all the rights of personhood and yet that's what pro-lifers would force womem to do for a fetus (hell for an implantes fertilized egg even) because sex.

Dude Abides

Banned

Someome then said "no you consent to causing kidney failure when you drive, should you have to give yiur kidney if this occurs".

I don't think anyone said this. Because it wouldn't make any sense. You consent to a risk of causing an injury that would require an organ donation when you drive. You don't consent to the actual injury itself. That's why its analogous to having sex. You consent to a situation that creates a risk, but that is not the same as consenting to that risk coming to fruition.

This is what I am responding to just to make it clear here. I'm saying, no one consents to a medical problem. The purpose of sex is child creation. That is its biological aim, not its consequence. Everything we do to avoid it (contraceptives etc) are more bandaids to that reality. The purpose of a car is transportation, it might cause injury but to imply if you damage someones kidney in an accident we might consider using your kidney to replace it is rather off mark.

Pregenancy is not an inevitable result of sex, so this isn't a good argument.

FuuRe

I slipped there, i meant there's no switch or binary state about personhood.

Let me continue the discussion regardin that point, personhood is a complicated issue since you cannot precisely pinpoint where does it starts, and then, it clearly starts after birth, and that would give thumbs up then to killing already born babies, that's why at least for me there's no value in the personhood argument, you cannot put a finger on it, you cannot identify it, it cannot be tested, and it's definition is debatable philosophically and legally.

How can a law exists that's based on something as volatile as the definition of personhood? Abortion law just makes the fact illegal, to change it, should it be then replaced by one that defines where personhood starts?.

I think there's no comparable personhood value or amount (i don't know how you measure personhood) in any stage of life, if personhood is an issue you could argue then that some people deserve to live more than others, but it doesn't work that way since the issue of personhood in these discussions seems to be only questioned when the person is inside the womb of his/her mother.

About coma patients, i wouldn't kill my father if he was in a coma except if he preemptively tells me that in a coma situation he would prefer me to avoid life support, but if it were my decision, i couldn't kill my father, maybe i'm delusional or blindly fooling myself here but he could still wake up someday, i couldn't live with myself with that doubt.

The totally irrational part of me tells me that killing babies is wrong and i don't expect anyone to jump on my bus and preach with my viewpoint since i treasure it greatly, i'm no activist and i don't need people in my life validating mi POV on whatever issue to keep going, i'm a father of two girls and i cannot express the feeling of seeing their first ultrasounds and the feeling of joy by seeing in that garbled image that there's a growing life filled with potential, that we will be happy or sad together, that we're going to struggle on whatever things life puts in our path. So i'm biased, just like everyone else here.

Gotchaye

I slipped there, i meant there's no switch or binary state about personhood.

Let me continue the discussion regardin that point, personhood is a complicated issue since you cannot precisely pinpoint where does it starts, and then, it clearly starts after birth, and that would give thumbs up then to killing already born babies, that's why at least for me there's no value in the personhood argument, you cannot put a finger on it, you cannot identify it, it cannot be tested, and it's definition is debatable philosophically and legally.

How can a law exists that's based on something as volatile as the definition of personhood? Abortion law just makes the fact illegal, to change it, should it be then replaced by one that defines where personhood starts?.

I think there's no comparable personhood value or amount (i don't know how you measure personhood) in any stage of life, if personhood is an issue you could argue then that some people deserve to live more than others, but it doesn't work that way since the issue of personhood in these discussions seems to be only questioned when the person is inside the womb of his/her mother.

This is just throwing up your hands and saying there's no way to figure out what's right or wrong, though. "Personhood" is really just a word that refers to rights-having status. Sure, moral truths are such that you can't put a finger on them, can't identify them as things out there in the world, and can't test them, and they're the subject of lots of philosophical debate. How can law exist that's based on something as volatile as the definition of morality? If morality is an issue you could argue that some acts and people are better than others.

Clearly you don't really think this. You think you've got a criticism of a certain kind of pro-choice argument, but actually this criticism applies just as well to the standard you want to set for when abortion is morally permissible. It applies to every moral argument there is!

I also note that you're still talking kind of like personhood is a binary thing. You say that we can't pinpoint where it starts, but what I was saying earlier is that an advantage of personhood theories is that they don't have a starting point, really. It's a continuum. And I'm not sure I understand this: "Abortion law just makes the fact illegal, to change it, should it be then replaced by one that defines where personhood starts?" A normal way for law to work is that we outlaw acts based on an understanding of what's right and wrong, keeping in mind that we need to balance the simplicity of the law against our desire to treat every unique case in exactly the way it deserves.

anaron

no shit.

if you're not financially/emotionally ready to have kids or just don't want children, it'll ruin take over your life.

I just think its a bullshit survey. The only thing i take out of it is that 95% don't feel regret AT THE TIME OF THE SURVEY.
Lives change. Perspectives change. The 5% that felt regret, may not sometime in the future. The 95% that did not feel regret, may feel it sometime in the future.
Just how you claim empirically-collected evidence is bullshit, I can even more easily pronounce your own claims as even bigger bullshit. You have no better evidence to back up your claims regarding this field. Literally none.

The authors of the study clearly detailed out their methods as a prospectively-collected survey done performed every 6 months for 3 years. 93% of participants completed this study. For 600+ participants with 93% completion rate at 3 years, that is pretty fucking good. There is literally no other study addressing this question that has this much internal validity.

For a prospective database, there is no other study that goes out further. Is 20 years better than 3? Perhaps, but is there any better quality evidence with less bias that suggests that? No. So are your claims unfounded, exactly as the authors have written in their Discussion section? Yes.

Sure, you can claim this is all just bullshit. Just realize what you're claiming yourself is even bigger bullshit.

Done. It's completely flawed, simple as that.
So many flaws, and yet you can't even detail one of them without exposing your ignorance? Here's a simple one: I don't like how there are so many 95% Confidence Intervals given throughout the Results section, but I only found 1 p-value. This may be due to me being unfamiliar with logistics mixed-effects model (the study's choice for analyzing this question). For a difference to be claimed I prefer to see a p-value, it's traditional.

Edit: Here's a relatively more serious flaw of the paper, since you two couldn't be bothered to point out the various flaws. Women with lower positive emotion scores at baseline were more likely to not finish the study (the only p-value I found in the paper).

And the authors didn't disregard previous studies, "just like that." They give reasons why theirs has better internal validity, as well as generalizability. Go search up PubMed for a higher-quality study addressing this question. You won't find one for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom