• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Field Guide to the American Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

The New York Times has made a fairly comprehensive list of sandwiches served in the US, broken down by category.

Here is a celebration of the sandwich’s diversity in the United States, an attempt to bring order to the wild multiplicity of its forms.

But first: What is a sandwich? The United States Department of Agriculture declares: “Product must contain at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread.” But a sandwich does not require meat! Merriam-Webster is slightly more helpful: “two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between.”

For the purposes of this field guide, we have laid down parameters. A hamburger is a marvelous sandwich, but it is one deserving of its own guide. The same holds for hot dogs, and for tacos and burritos, which in 2006, in the case known as Panera v. Qdoba, a Massachusetts judge declared were not sandwiches at all. Open-faced sandwiches are not sandwiches. Gyros and shawarmas are not sandwiches. The bread that encases them is neither split nor hinged, but wrapped.

There are five main families of sandwich in The New York Times Field Guide.

There are sandwiches made on Kaiser or "hard" rolls.

There are sandwiches made on soft buns.

There are sandwiches made on long hero or sub rolls.

There are sandwiches made on sliced bread.

And there are what we call "singulars," which are those creations on bread that falls outside these other groups but are still vital to the sandwich landscape, like the muffuletta.

Lots of sandwiches here that I haven't heard of before and others that I've heard of and haven't tried. I have a lot of sandwich eating ahead of me if I want to finish this list. What about you? Which of these have you tried? Which do you recommend? Let's discuss all things sandwiches.

Chris R

Surprised to see that Pilot Bread got a mention. I've never tried it with salmon (because I hate salmon) but it's good for PB&J.

Kaladin

I'm down with the muffuletta.

mA3FX7v1oaMdMj-640m.jpg

Dennis

Banned
I tend to find that American sandwiches have too much meat.

It is about the balance between meat, bread and sauce/dressing.

Dennis

Banned
The best sandwich I ever had was a pretty simple one with baguette, ham, cheese, lettuce and mayonnaise. But the quality of each ingredient combined with the perfect ratio of the components made for the perfect sandwich.

Dennis

Banned
Where in America does one get great meatball sandwiches?

I have wanted one ever since Joey from Friends couldn't shut up about it.

Sanjuro

That bun looks thrash though.

I like crunchy crusty baguette-style bread not that soft Wonderbread stuff.

It's not about the bun though. Same thing with Lobster Rolls around here. You're getting some wonder bread type shit, because the bread isn't the highlight.

Eyeron

That reuben pic literally made my stomach grumble. Shouldn't have wandered into this thread before dinner
and after a bowl of fine sativa.

pharmx

Oh god, I love me a sammich! I could eat sandwiches every day for every meal and never tire of it. Thank you John Montagu!

I don't think anything beats a really great banh mi. Good god, I love those things.

The tricky thing is finding a place that does them properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom