• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Field Guide to the American Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One of the worst things about living in Japan is the shit sandwiches. It's a god damn travesty. Every time I go to the states for work, I always try to have as many burritos and sandwiches as I can.

giga

Fuck cold sandwiches.

kofp_cheesesteak.jpg

Cheese steak all day every day.

DJ_Lae

I'm saving that list for later.

My current favourite keeps it simple - Montreal smoked meat on two pieces of bread with a bunch of mustard. A generous amount of meat, too, but not a foot high or something silly so you can't even eat it properly.

MMRS54B.jpg

I'm down with the muffuletta.

mA3FX7v1oaMdMj-640m.jpg
I was in New Orleans a few years ago and I stopped by Central Grocery for lunch on my last day there. Got a muffuletta, managed to eat the whole damned thing. Got a second one to take on the plane with me on the way out.

There's no reason for a sandwich to be that delicious. I wish there were a way to get a decent copy anywhere else.

Though, I am glad to see the pork tenderloin sandwich get such high billing. Seems like you can't get them outside of Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana. Don't really understand why. Maybe they just don't work without that dynamite midwest pork.

I was in New Orleans a few years ago and I stopped by Central Grocery for lunch on my last day there. Got a muffuletta, managed to eat the whole damned thing. Got a second one to take on the plane with me on the way out.

There's no reason for a sandwich to be that delicious. I wish there were a way to get a decent copy anywhere else.

Though, I am glad to see the pork tenderloin sandwich get such high billing. Seems like you can't get them outside of Iowa, Illinois, and Indiana. Don't really understand why. Maybe they just don't work without that dynamite midwest pork.

Just make your own muffuletta. It's not hard to find the muffuletta salad, the meat is available at most grocery stores, and you can use a round foccacia or something similar if you can't find or make a loaf that is more authentic.

DJ_Lae

Just make your own muffuletta. It's not hard to find the muffuletta salad, the meat is available at most grocery stores, and you can use a round foccacia or something similar if you can't find or make a loaf that is more authentic.

I'm making one this week via this recipe. I've never even heard of them before, don't think any place here sells them.

It sounds delicious though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. Local place (54th st bar & grill) has a Philly South of the Border -- steak, pepper jack, jalapeños, sour cream -- basically worth dying for.

2. I'm a real sucker for a great Tuna salad Sub. Mr. Goodcents' version is quite good.

3. A great, home made roast beef with Swiss and mayo and other stuff is hard to beat

4. Oh my god my grilled cheese with some tomato soooooooouuuuup

5. Day-after cold meatloaf sandwiches, people.

6. My fallback order at some rando restaurant is a good Italian sub. Hard to fuck that up.

7. When I'm out east I do love a fresh lobster roll.

8. I make a post-thanksgiving turkey sandwich and dip it in corn and mashed potatoes and gravy

9. Ham and cheddar melts!

10. Anything with avocado and bacon

11. I don't think burgers count but there's a Palestinian breakfast joint near here that makes a burger with an over easy egg on it and

My god I'm hungry

I thought I was a sandwich connoisseur but I realize I was a goddamn scrub for not knowing what a Muffuletta was until this thread. Thing look OP as fuck. Do I have to go all the way to Louisiana to get one?

entremet

I thought I was a sandwich connoisseur but I realize I was a goddamn scrub for not knowing what a Muffuletta was until this thread. Thing look OP as fuck. Do I have to go all the way to Louisiana to get one?
No. It's fairly common in diners.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Grand Junction in my hometown is the fucking shit. They grill the meat for the subs on a flat top, sorta like a cheesesteak. They also throw the sauce down on the grill/meat and cook it all together. My favorite sandwich is the cordon bleu, where they cook chicken and ham on the grill in honey mustard and mayo then melt a bunch of cheese on it. It's to die for.

213372bu

Banned
Phillies and jibaritos can be GOAT.

Also Dennis, Earl of Sandwich (mainstream) has some great meatball sandwiches. But the absolute best ones you can get are found in mom and pop restaurants up in NY.

Edit : A cuban(original... no mayo or
lettuce/tomato) or tripleta can also be great.

WedgeX

Banned
We need to make the NYT field guide into an actual check list. And eat all the delicious sandwiches of the US.

Wanace

Awesome.

By far the most orgasmic sandwich I've ever eaten was a Banh Mi prepared on the street from a cart by an old Vietnamese women in Saigon.

It was so good, I had two. It was around 10:30 PM and she was still slinging 'em.

I'm going back someday to relive that sandwich experience.

turtle553

They have them at McAlisters Deli if you have one nearby. Pretty tasty and I don't even like olives. Can't compare to anywhere else.

AntoneM

Grand Junction in my hometown is the fucking shit. They grill the meat for the subs on a flat top, sorta like a cheesesteak. They also throw the sauce down on the grill/meat and cook it all together. My favorite sandwich is the cordon bleu, where they cook chicken and ham on the grill in honey mustard and mayo then melt a bunch of cheese on it. It's to die for.

I forgot about them. Haven't been back to that town since I dropped out of college there in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom