• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Major DC TV Character Will Come Out Of The Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
It's Batman. Little Bruce Wayne is about to get fabulous!
SmartBombStudios-justice.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
There could be some retconning, or bisexuality involved, but the only series regulars who haven't been in a heterosexual relationship or attempted to be are:

• Alex
  • Wally
  • Heat Wave
  • Hank (with a human, had Martian wife)
  • Gideon
And that's a stretch, Wally and Mick have both checked out women.

Supergirl is adding a lesbian character as a series regular to the cast, really seems like Alex. Or the Waverider really wants to rock female-to-female connectors.

Magwik

Banned
There could be some retconning, or bisexuality involved, but the only series regulars who haven't been in a heterosexual relationship or attempted to be are:

• Alex
  • Wally
  • Heat Wave
  • Gideon

Supergirl is adding a lesbian character as a series regular to the cast, really seems like Alex. Or the Waverider really wants to rock female-to-female connectors.
Wally was eye fucking Jessie Quick all the back end of S2

ZeroX03

Banned
Wally was eye fucking Jessie Quick all the back end of S2

Yeah, his bad taste aside, he never directly said anything so I counted him. Whereas Jax actually said "yeah I want to fuck Hawkgirl because apparently liking the low tier girls is a thing for young black dudes in the Arrowverse".

At least Jimmy and Diggle have taste, damn.

I'm perfectly fine with this but I hope it's happening because the creator genuinely wants this and not just because they're trying to appeal to certain groups more.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm perfectly fine with this but I hope it's happening because the creator genuinely wants this and not just because they're trying to appeal to certain groups more.

The shows have all been great at casually having a very diverse cast and not drawing attention to it. That said, them mentioning it like this seems to be the first time they've ever really drawn attention.

What's with all the suggestions that gay actors' characters come out of the closet? Lame.

I suggested Roy Harper because the actor left the show due to him battling depression over deciding to come out of the closet. Him returning to the show as a gay or bisexual character could be some kind of way of the producers making the transition back on easy for him. I recall there was a lot of pressure during his Teen Wolf days because female viewers adored him. It would also explain this rare occurrence of the creators announcing an established character's upcoming sexuality. As I said above, the show doesn't draw much attention to racial or sexual differences. Some people didn't even realize Pied Piper was gay even though that was even a subplot of his. I also just wanted an excuse to post the flip gif.

Based purely from a story perspective, it's probably going to be Alex on Supergirl.

Slayven

• Alex
  • Wally
  • Heat Wave
  • Gideon

Waverider.jpg

*gets excited*

In the TV series Legends of Tomorrow, Rip Hunter's timeship is called the Waverider, with Gideon serving as the ships' A.I.

Oh

ZeroX03

Banned
Roy's main character trait was that he was in love with Thea, there's no way he could be gay and in love with a male chara-

tumblr_neyfy3wuhq1sjxzs0o1_400.gif

tumblr_neyfy3wuhq1sjxzs0o2_400.gif

It's probably Alex, but I vaguely recall something between her and Max?

He was into her, she danced around it.

Mariolee

Of course Piper is gay. Alex is the most important character left without any defined sexuality, and they're bringing in a prominent lesbian character on Supergirl so I would guess her.

Berlanti is gay too, it's important to him and they do actively focus on racially diverse and LGBT+ casting.

Racially diverse? Where my Asians at?

ZeroX03

Banned

Yeah they're struggling in that department. Arrow did well in S1 and S3, Flash had Linda/Light but the other two nobody is coming to mind. Time for Legends to bring in Ryan Choi.

Flash S2 actually had a majority non-white regular cast.

e: Slade is Polynesian which is pretty rare casting

Mariolee

Yeah they're struggling in that department. Arrow did well in S1 and S3, Flash had Linda/Light but the other two nobody is coming to mind. Time for Legends to bring in Ryan Choi.

Flash S2 actually had a majority non-white regular cast.

Don't watch Arrow but literally the only person I could think of is Linda and the actress is only half Chinese. Idk man, I wanna see myself on the screen too. :(

ZeroX03

Banned
Flash has the best TV dad since Uncle Phil

Truth

Jonathan Kent was actually one of the things Smallville did well at least.

Don't watch Arrow but literally the only person I could think of is Linda and the actress is only half Chinese. Idk man, I wanna see myself on the screen too. :(

Don't discount multiracial actors as being representatives.

Arrow has China White and the third season's flashbacks are in Hong Kong with Japanese characters.

Mariolee

Don't discount multiracial actors as being representatives.

Arrow has China White and the third season's flashbacks are in Hong Kong with Japanese characters.

I mean...I'm not discounting them? I'm simply saying it's not enough, especially across four shows.

ZeroX03

Banned
I mean...I'm not discounting them? I'm simply saying it's not enough, especially across four shows.

Don't know why you felt the need to ring up she was half at all. If you didn't know, the fanbase has had problems in the past with it, Ciara Renee got a whole lot of bullshit for her background.

It's not like Wentworth where you wouldn't know he's part black until someone says something.

Alex makes the most sense, especially with Maggie Sawyer joining the cast. She'd have a chance to have an actual romantic subplot.

Either that or they're taking Reverse Flash's fanboy origins to Wozzly level.

that firestorm dude hasn't had a love interest yet.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the "shipping plot" on LoT is going to end up making Jax Vixen's grandfather.

Half of Nyssa.

Mariolee

Don't know why you felt the need to ring up she was half at all. If you didn't know, the fanbase has had problems in the past with it, Ciara Renee got a whole lot of bullshit for her background.

It's not like Wentworth where you wouldn't know he's part black until someone says something.

I brought it up because we cannot even get a fully Asian supporting actor or actress across a 4 shows with a combined 8 seasons across all of them. That distinction IS important, but it does not discredit Malese Jow at all. Its to discredit any claims to trying to promote diversity across races when we have a distinct lack of multiple races within Asia. Me, as a South East Asian (specifically Indonesian), can't really hope to see a fully South East Asian actor or actress representing myself if we can't even have fully Asian actors and actresses on this show, and that is disappointing to me. That's why I brought up her half ethnicity.

I'm not going to get into Ciara Renee since I have no idea what that is all about, and skimming through it, the race issue they're speaking about is a whole other discussion and isn't really relevant to the issue I'm bringing up.

ZeroX03

Banned
I brought it up because we cannot even get a fully Asian supporting actor or actress across a 4 shows with a combined 8 seasons across all of them. That distinction IS important, but it does not discredit Malese Jow at all. Its to discredit any claims to trying to promote diversity across races when we have a distinct lack of multiple races within Asia. Me, as a South East Asian (specifically Indonesian), can't really hope to see a fully South East Asian actor or actress representing myself if we can't even have fully Asian actors and actresses on this show, and that is disappointing to me. That's why I brought up her half ethnicity.

I'm not going to get into Ciara Renee since I have no idea what that is all about, and skimming through it, the race issue they're speaking about is a whole other discussion and isn't really relevant to the issue I'm bringing up.

First of all, I agree there should be more Asian casting.

However, I absolutely disagree with the notion that a half Asian person can't be considered full representation. Maltese Jow is Asian. Full stop.

Also, as I mentioned Arrow had two fully Asian supporting characters in season 3, along with Nyssa who is half Taiwanese since S2 and regular cast member Slade who is Polynesian if you want to stretch that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom