• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A shooting that you will likely not see on CNN!

zelo-ca

"Pistol-toting bystander shoots and kills gunman who opened fire on packed Oklahoma restaurant and injured mother, her daughter, 12, and another girl, 14, in terrifying birthday party mass shooting"

Article

Just like the Sutherland Springs shooting last year the media is ignoring this hero. "Police Captain Bo Matthews said the armed bystander was a 'blessing' as the man could have shot others"

Good luck seeing this on CNN.

womfalcs3

Banned
This is one story of people with guns doing good compared to the hundred others where guns are used for mass killings.

zelo-ca

I Just went to the homepage and it's relatively buried. I think the OP's point is that this will be dramatically underreported from left leaning sites like CNN. There won't be the 24/7 coverage that a story making armed citizens look bad might get.

Yes that is my point. Sorry if I didn't articulate it well in my OP.

JDB

Banned
It's almost like a mass murder not happening isn't going to be as engaging to people as a mass murder happening.

CNN's agenda is views and money. They showed all of Trump's rallies and shit on Clinton for the same email stuff over and over and over during the 2016 election. You know why? Cause it got them the most viewers. Then they throw a dozen people with opposing positions into a room and let them yell about stuff for an hour or two and call it news.

Last edited:
Lol yeah. Someone please give some statistics that compare number of gun-related crime vs gun-related civilian courage.
There are many reports for the USA that say the number of uses for self defense is over 100,000 a year (low estimate), including the CDC report that puts that number at half million.

Well above the number of murders via guns.

Last edited:
Could we change the topic/thread title to something more interesting and less about partisanship or "sides" based. Either about the shooting itself, about media choice of profile/bias in selection and fronting of stories, or the merits and demerits in carrying a gun and attacking the shooter? Or just a single Gun Rights & Gun Control thread if that's what's being discussed overall.

There's merit in discussing a lot of this, but it doesn't help if the OP doesn't initiate the topic in a good manner.

Could we change the topic/thread title to something more interesting and less about partisanship or "sides" based. Either about the shooting itself, about media choice of profile/bias in selection and fronting of stories, or the merits and demerits in carrying a gun and attacking the shooter? Or just a single Gun Rights & Gun Control thread if that's what's being discussed overall.

There's merit in discussing a lot of this, but it doesn't help if the OP doesn't initiate the topic in a good manner.

Seriously, the thread title alone made me roll my eyes so hard that they almost fell out of my head.

JDB

Banned

I feel like there's more and more of these types of threads popping up. Ones with OPs that clearly aren't looking to have a discussion but mostly just vent about something they're mad about.

BANGS

Banned
I hate birthday party’s at restaurants.

Good that he was stopped.
Dear god I read this post wrong and laughed so hard when I realized my mistake...

But anyways, the shooter already did his damage and was fleeing when the armed citizen took care of business, so this doesn't really support the narrative that armed citizens can stop armed criminals...

Dear god I read this post wrong and laughed so hard when I realized my mistake...

But anyways, the shooter already did his damage and was fleeing when the armed citizen took care of business, so this doesn't really support the narrative that armed citizens can stop armed criminals...
Ah I see.

Still I hate having to listen to staff sing a birthday song.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah I hate it when CNN ignores the shoot for the latest DC movie but then goes all in on coverage of the latest Marvel film.

What is with the thread title? It's something you would read one r/the_donald? Like, no offense OP but you sound like one of those crazy right-wingers.

Hotspurr

Banned
I agree the thread titles have gone downhill recently. This is not the_donald (which I sometimes look at for science purposes of course).

As for the debate on guns, I am generally pro-firearm. People should have a means to protect themselves, and we know criminals often get firearms illegally (,so would scrapping them really work?). US is a different beast than other countries, and we still need to keep having the conversation around guns to find the right balance. There are issues wrapped up into guns that span many topics that include mental health, minorities, powerful lobby groups, etc etc. My main criticism of firearm laws in the states is that they are far too relaxed. Lack of ensuring guns end up in responsible hands leads to mass shootings. This is unacceptable and I believe additional regulation and screening, as well as harsher penalties for ignorance should be implemented.

And I absolutely agree, any positive story about firearms being used in the way they were intended will get buried because of the narrative. CNN is not in the business of news, it's in the business of competing with BuzzFeed for far left attention.

CNN is not in the business of the far left. What they're doing is feasting off Trump like it's the grand buffet. Ratings.

CNN is the media organization that put climate change scientists and theorist climate change deniers in the same room to "discuss". They're the "both sides" company, but adapt quickly for ratings.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicSleuth

Arguments like this are completely moronic. When Bill Clinton was in office, CNN *lived* off talking about his sex life. They're a news source. They talk about what people will watch, and that's that.

Also, making the argument that one gun-toting murderer was taken out by a gun-toting citizen to support gun rights is downright laughable. If neither dude had a gun, nobody likely would have died.

Sàmban

Banned
It's almost like a mass murder not happening isn't going to be as engaging to people as a mass murder happening.

CNN's agenda is views and money. They showed all of Trump's rallies and shit on Clinton for the same email stuff over and over and over during the 2016 election. You know why? Cause it got them the most viewers. Then they throw a dozen people with opposing positions into a room and let them yell about stuff for an hour or two and call it news.
Hell, they fucking have them on payroll.

Also goddam OP this thread is so dumb. Hope you reflect and stop making “da libs” threads. You clowned yourself so hard.

Last edited:

Future

Not only is this on cnn, the story seems just as “buried” on the site you linked. At least I couldn’t immediately find it on the front page. Don’t see it on Fox News either. Who’s pushing a narrative here?

Geki-D

Banned
There are many reports for the USA that say the number of uses for self defense is over 100,000 a year (low estimate), including the CDC report that puts that number at half million.

Well above the number of murders via guns.
Self defence in general ≠ random guy stopping a mass shooting because he always walks around with his gun.

Nester99

"Pistol-toting bystander shoots and kills gunman who opened fire on packed Oklahoma restaurant and injured mother, her daughter, 12, and another girl, 14, in terrifying birthday party mass shooting"

Article

Just like the Sutherland Springs shooting last year the media is ignoring this hero. "Police Captain Bo Matthews said the armed bystander was a 'blessing' as the man could have shot others"

Good luck seeing this on CNN.

You are a moron, did you not even check cnn before posting this garbage? Way to be part of the problem.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
An OP that you will most likely not see in this thread again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makariel

Nah, you know what he meant. They wrote about it but its not getting any focus/air time. CNN et al isnt gonna push this
I laugh at CNN as much as the next guy, but you're clutching at straws. OP did not make a modest statement open to much interpretation. Instead he made a clear statement, was caught wrong, it's done. Nothing to see here.

Acerac

Banned
OP must have felt real stupid once this post came up. Thread should have been locked at this point
The mods say that this should be debated in the thread.

I'm... I'm not sure what there really is to discuss at this point, but I guess that's 2018 NeoGAF for you.

natjjohn

LOL. OP should be shamed and this thread locked. Perhaps a subtitle to his name of “CNN, number 1 in news.” that links out to CNN so every time he posts he’s giving a plug to CNN.

natjjohn

Forgot to say, thread title should be updated to something you will 100 percent see on CNN with a mod edit of adding the CNN link to the OP.

I mean how does this thread title not get changed and that one dude blasting n-bombs not get updated and the guy banned when me asking if a shot was feminine gets a title change and mod edit? For reference, https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-shot-appreciation-thread.1460861/

I don’t really care that much so apologies if this comes off as mod complaining. Just confused at what’s allowed and left as is (rampant n word use by someone not black, straight up lies as seen in this thread and many others).

Top Bottom