• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaryn Flynn leaving BioWare/EA, Casey Hudson returning to assume role of GM

dr_rus

So with ME on ice (presumably forever), DA4 being in active development already and Anthem being the focus of the rest of the studio for the next 10 or so years what exactly will Casey be doing in Bioware? Just managing same old franchises again minus his own Mass Effect?

Renekton

So with ME on ice (presumably forever), DA4 being in active development already and Anthem being the focus of the rest of the studio for the next 10 or so years what exactly will Casey be doing in Bioware? Just managing same old franchises again minus his own Mass Effect?
Yeah Anthem is partly his brainchild and Bioware's final make or break, so he's going to be busy with that.

Sou Da

Whoa friend you forgot about the eternal SWTOR.

dr_rus

Yeah Anthem is partly his brainchild and Bioware's final make or break, so he's going to be busy with that.

I dunno about you but to me this is depressing as hell as Anthem is probably the first Bioware game I have exactly zero interest in. Kinda hoping that he will resurrect ME...

Patryn

People keep saying Anthem is Bioware's Make or Break as if Dragon Age and SWTOR doesn't exist. Despite what many think, both are doing fairly well and an unrelated game bombing will not cause EA to suddenly decide to end them as collateral damage.

Anthem bombing would likely lead to Bioware contracting again, but it's not going to lead to the studio's death.

jayu26

My guess is that Dragon Age team turns into Star Wars team after finishing next Dragon Age. I would be cool with that. I just hope they finish the Dragon Age story and give it a respectable ending (they are nicely setup to do so).

Mivey

Anthem bombing would likely lead to Bioware contracting again, but it's not going to lead to the studio's death.
You mean they would buy themselves from EA, like Activision did? Because EA's not giving up the BioWare name for free. And BioWare doesn't have that kind of cash.
This is the second time they are trying to make a big online thing, after SWTOR. While that didn't flop as such, it seems EA had far higher expectations for it, making if effectively a failure. EA wouldn't be pushing for something like that if they were content with the sales from Dragon Age and Mass Effect alone, especially after Andromeda.

Patryn

You mean they would buy themselves from EA, like Activision did? Because EA's not giving up the BioWare name for free. And BioWare doesn't have that kind of cash.
This is the second time they are trying to make a big online thing, after SWTOR. While that didn't flop as such, it seems EA had far higher expectations for it, making if effectively a failure. EA wouldn't be pushing for something like that if they were content with the sales from Dragon Age and Mass Effect alone, especially after Andromeda.

I said contracting, as in getting smaller. Similar to how they contracted following Andromeda failing.

In no way do I think that they would be going independent.

Making flawed games is different than outright lying to your fan base about what/how your game will be but I digress.

At any rate, like I said in my earlier reply, judging by his desire to make a MMO game and his ideas for Anthem, I think he is done with ME franchise and the kind of RPG games that I wanna see form Bioware. So I don't think his return would mean anything for ME series.

You can do both. Ever played SWTOR? In fact I would say that's exactly what the shared world genre needs. Some great Bioware story elements.

Personally I'm not going to condemn Casey Hudson for ME3's ending. Was a deplorable? Yes. But this man gave us the ME trilogy which is still one of the greatest gaming has AND he had the foresight to want to create a Mass Effect MMO and/or Anthem as well.

Wulfram

You can do both. Ever played SWTOR? In fact I would say that's exactly what the shared world genre needs. Some great Bioware story elements.

I like SWtOR, but there's nothing that really convinces me it wouldn't be better as just a solo game. The story elements don't mesh well with multiplayer

I like SWtOR, but there's nothing that really convinces me it wouldn't be better as just a solo game. The story elements don't mesh well with multiplayer

Hmm I disagree as I enjoyed the flashpoints and the MMO PvP. But regardless SWTOR being better as a solo game has no bearing on the shared world genre needing some Bioware magic.

Top Bottom