• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Gritesh

I just bought this monitor last night.

They had it side by side with the Asus rog swift.
Man he rog swift build quality next to this thing puts it to shame. But damn this monitor had the better picture both were hooked up to a pc running witcher 3.

I would love to have this screen in the rog stand and its been pretty much confirmed that the new IPS rog is the same panel as the acer...but the impatient person inside of me will probably stick with the acer.

Lexxism

3rd quarter of 2015, supposedly, so we're looking at late summer / early fall, at best.
Pretty much the same time when the PG278Q launched? Also, do we have any estimated price? 800 USD? Or I'm waiting to be disappointed lol

You also got 34" curved monitors with gsync coming from both companies. I think they said July - August for availability for PG279q and the 34" models.
What resolution? Panel? 1440p? 4k? If 1440p, 144hz?

I just bought this monitor last night.

They had it side by side with the Asus rog swift.
Man he rog swift build quality next to this thing puts it to shame. But damn this monitor had the better picture both were hooked up to a pc running witcher 3.

I would love to have this screen in the rog stand and its been pretty much confirmed that the new IPS rog is the same panel as the acer...but the impatient person inside of me will probably stick with the acer.

Return the Acer and wait until the Asus pg279Q releases . It should be the same config as the Acer you just bought with better build quality.

Pretty much the same time when the PG278Q launched? Also, do we have any estimated price? 800 USD? Or I'm waiting to be disappointed lol

What resolution? Panel? 1440p? 4k? If 1440p, 144hz?

I'm not sure we know that much. I just gleaned the release date from what I've read on other forums from people who saw it at Computex or wherever it was.

x3sphere

I'm waiting for the PG279Q. Almost got the Acer (ordered it a few days ago but cancelled). Decided I wouldn't be happy with the glossy bezel.

Gritesh

The pg279q was estimated to be right around the same price as the swift.

I have a hard time returning the acer because it was about 100 bucks cheaper than the swift thanks to a price beat through my local store.

I've got 6 days left to decide but I might still return it.

Man ... i should just wait for Asus' 1440p monitor and I'm hopeful they sell it early august so i can buy it instantly and to finally finish all my parts so i can start building my pc

Please do not be late august lol ! I got school man ;;

My Asus MG279Q finally arrived. This is the best monitor I ever used. I sold off my Acer already, couldn't bare all the QA issues with it and backlight bleed. And it has HDMI input which is important since I play console games on my monitor.

Asus seems to be better on all fronts other than G-Sync. Not to mention overall built quality and calibration/additional options which all G-sync monitors are quite limited in right now.

That monitor being available in Canada, and the pretty decent price has me considering getting it instead of waiting for the g-sync version...

Someone tell me to stop and wait for the gsync version.

(fucking nvidia, just go support freesync already in your drivers)

The pg279q was estimated to be right around the same price as the swift.

I have a hard time returning the acer because it was about 100 bucks cheaper than the swift thanks to a price beat through my local store.

I've got 6 days left to decide but I might still return it.

If you are satisfied with your Acer you should just keep it. Sure the Asus looks nicer but whats matters the most is the screen quality and they should be on pair. Also, it is supposed to be launching late August but you never know it could be delayed

Man ... i should just wait for Asus' 1440p monitor and I'm hopeful they sell it early august so i can buy it instantly and to finally finish all my parts so i can start building my pc

Please do not be late august lol ! I got school man ;;

I hope it doesnt cost more than $800 otherwise I will buy the Acer monitor

Lexxism

Well, after seeing the prices in Canada. I might choose Acer because it is $33 cheaper than Rog Swift. Hopefully the launch of IPS ROG will put some nice discount on Acer if IPS ROG ends up being really expensive.

astonish

Thread got me hyped. Reviews got me hyped. Thought about selling my Rev 1 3D vision monitor, saw the price in CAD. Died.

ChRoNiTe

So I replaced my 780ti with an 980ti and the weird stuttering issues in older games has disappeared. The only issue still lingering is when I put the PC into sleep mode and having all my open windows get scrunched up to the upper left corner of the display when I wake it.

Anyone else have a work around for this?

Vuze

So I replaced my 780ti with an 980ti and the weird stuttering issues in older games has disappeared. The only issue still lingering is when I put the PC into sleep mode and having all my open windows get scrunched up to the upper left corner of the display when I wake it.

Anyone else have a work around for this?
Are you by any chance running Windows 7? I've read through the whole owner thread over at overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net/t/1549176/official-acer-predator-xb270hu-owners-club/) and I think I heard about this bein an issue with Windows 7 specifically. But I could be wrong.

---

Ordered mine an hour ago. Should arrive tomorrow and is hopefully from the latest production batch since alternate.de apparently just got new stock. fingers crossed!

My 980 Ti Step Up is coming tomorrow!!!! Problem is, I only have 2x 1080p monitors.

The Asus PG279Q is going to have the same specs as Acer XB270HU. But Asus build quality is typically better so it's better to wait for that one? And the 1000:1 contrast ratio on the Acer, might be better on the Asus?

So basically there's no risk in waiting other than it might be August at latest? I'm just trying to weigh all the options and pros/cons.

Vuze

My 980 Ti Step Up is coming tomorrow!!!! Problem is, I only have 2x 1080p monitors.

The Asus PG279Q is going to have the same specs as Acer XB270HU. But Asus build quality is typically better so it's better to wait for that one? And the 1000:1 contrast ratio on the Acer, might be better on the Asus?

So basically there's no risk in waiting other than it might be August at latest? I'm just trying to weigh all the options and pros/cons.
iirc the PG278Q had a plethora of QC issues as well on launch and afaik the 279Q will use the same panel as the Acer one. Can't hurt to wait though.

iirc the PG278Q had a plethora of QC issues as well on launch and afaik the 279Q will use the same panel as the Acer one. Can't hurt to wait though.

Hmm. Well, I heard the 279Q might have an HDMI and the xb270hu will only have display port. I want to play my ps4 on it too most likely so if that's true, I'll probably wait. Thanks!

Vuze

Got mine today and it's pretty neat so far.

Haven't had much time to play with it but I've quickly tested some games with Gsync. Super smooth, it's amazing indeed! Now driving in GTAV is actually fun and instead of the stuttering I can now focus on the object pop in :p

Unfortunately I seem to have a problem with tomb raider 2013. The game is somehow locked at 60fps despite setting it to 144Hz in game (tried to set desktop refresh to 60, 120 and 144, no difference; max available refresh rate is enabled in the Nvidia panel, vsync is forced off in the driver and ingame; turning Vsync on doesn't change anything either).

any ideas? I'm fairly certain the game supports refresh rates higher than 60.

E: Rebooting fixed it :p

Gritesh

I'm returning this monitor tomorrow.

The store I bought it from only has a 7 day return window.

Its a great monitor for sure but there really is alot coming on the near horizon and I am thinking I will pick up the acer x34 instead once its out.

Snickles

I'm returning this monitor tomorrow.

The store I bought it from only has a 7 day return window.

Its a great monitor for sure but there really is alot coming on the near horizon and I am thinking I will pick up the acer x34 instead once its out.

If you are talking about this Acer 34", it is only reported to be 75Hz refresh:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.CX1AA.001

That is only about a 10% in blur reduction over a conventional 60Hz monitor, while 144Hz screens have a 50% reduction in blur. I guess it depends on the games you play, but 75Hz is a no buy to me.

Snickles

What's the best 4k monitor out there in the market? If there's none, what's the best coming 4k monitor?

Right now, I would argue the Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k@60Hz monitor has to be in the running for best 16:9 4k monitor, especially if you are looking for a larger screen.

The panel is an 8-bit VA LCD with a W-LED backlight with gray to gray response time of 8.5ms. It is 4k@60Hz with display port 1.2, but only 4k@30Hz with HDMI 1.4.

If you are willing to go 21:9, both the Dell U3415W and LG 34UC97 are great monitors at 3440x1440 60Hz.

Personally, I am playing the waiting game to see what new monitors will be available this fall.

Lexxism

I don't think like having a monitor larger than 32". So, I'll pass on that.
Personally, I am playing the waiting game to see what new monitors will be available this fall.
That's what I'm doing as well. Just looking around and checking what's the current market has. Also, even ROG swift will have a 4k. Hopefully those new ROG swift monitors will be a little bit cheaper.

ChRoNiTe

Are you by any chance running Windows 7? I've read through the whole owner thread over at overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net/t/1549176/official-acer-predator-xb270hu-owners-club/) and I think I heard about this bein an issue with Windows 7 specifically. But I could be wrong.

---

Ordered mine an hour ago. Should arrive tomorrow and is hopefully from the latest production batch since alternate.de apparently just got new stock. fingers crossed!

Yeah I'm running Windows 7. Googling the issue it appears to be an issue that happens with display port connections. Hopefully not an issue in Windows 10...

StereoVsn

Right now, I would argue the Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k@60Hz monitor has to be in the running for best 16:9 4k monitor, especially if you are looking for a larger screen.

The panel is an 8-bit VA LCD with a W-LED backlight with gray to gray response time of 8.5ms. It is 4k@60Hz with display port 1.2, but only 4k@30Hz with HDMI 1.4.

If you are willing to go 21:9, both the Dell U3415W and LG 34UC97 are great monitors at 3440x1440 60Hz.

I am trying to decide between the Dell and Philips. Got both at my house. Dell backlight bleeding is somewhat annoying but text is really sharp and display is beautiful, its cool in games as well, giving you more visible area. Philips is nice but might be just too big even at almost 3" away.

Do we know what the input situation is like on this montior?

I'd prefer to not go to AMD, but I haven't found a G-SYNC monitor yet that has HDMI support (speakers built in would be nice, but not 100% required) along with the other things I'm looking for.

It apparently has HDMI.

Hmm. Well, I heard the 279Q might have an HDMI and the xb270hu will only have display port. I want to play my ps4 on it too most likely so if that's true, I'll probably wait. Thanks!
It will ? Oh fuckity fuck ..

I'll wait for that one too then ;_;

Sigh hopefully it's soon so i can buy all the parts already ;_;

Chris R

I'm waiting to see whether this has a detrimental effect on input lag.

Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues with the DP/G-SYNC input and lets people who want a PS4 or whatever hooked up to their monitor enjoy (with a decent scaler built in as well if needed)

Just a heads up, Acer Store is doing a site-wide 10% off until the 8th, including this monitor.

Final price ends up at $719.99 with free shipping, which is pretty decent considering most other retailers aren't selling it lower than ~$790.

They also should have the newest batches of the monitor with less build quality issues, but then again they've been saying the same thing since May.

It will ? Oh fuckity fuck ..

I'll wait for that one too then ;_;

Sigh hopefully it's soon so i can buy all the parts already ;_;

Yes it's most likely it'll have HDMI... but below....

Just a heads up, Acer Store is doing a site-wide 10% off until the 8th, including this monitor.

Final price ends up at $719.99 with free shipping, which is pretty decent considering most other retailers aren't selling it lower than ~$790.

They also should have the newest batches of the monitor with less build quality issues, but then again they've been saying the same thing since May.

Damnit! This alters my once-finalized decision to wait for the 279Q back to square 1. $80 off is pretty damn good!

Decisions, decisions...

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Yes it's most likely it'll have HDMI... but below....

Damnit! This alters my once-finalized decision to wait for the 279Q back to square 1. $80 off is pretty damn good!

Decisions, decisions...

Yea, I still am torn between this and the rog swift. Thank god the acer site is slow as molasses or I may have impulse purchased it.

EDIT: Pulled the trigger...can't wait!

Vuze

So, does it support 3D Vision after all? Or is it possible to enable the setting in the control panel for every monitor regardless of specification? I can even access the 3D Vision setup after enabling it here but I have no glasses or whatever you need for it.
I wouldn't be surprised, considering newer revisions support 120Hz ULMB despite the official stance being 85 and 100 I think.

unbenannteyu6t.jpg

Durante

So is the only reason to wait for the ASUS because of maybe HDMI? Like, if I don't need the HDMI post, is the Acer fine?
It's hard to imagine the Asus being significantly better than the Acer in pure specs (same panel, same Gsync module), but it might have better QC. That's hardly guaranteed though.

Durante

Well, if the Acer is Durante Approved, I can't go wrong.
The XB270HU is Durante-approved, with the caveats that (a) it's still "just" an IPS panel, so static contrast tops out at ~1000:1 and (b) it seems you need some luck and/or persistence to get a panel which doesn't have either dead pixels or backlight bleeding.

Niks

The XB270HU is Durante-approved, with the caveats that (a) it's still "just" an IPS panel, so static contrast tops out at ~1000:1 and (b) it seems you need some luck and/or persistence to get a panel which doesn't have either dead pixels or backlight bleeding.

Any upcoming monitor will improve or fix these issues? (in the short term future)

Rolfgang

It seems tough that Acer has upped their QC with the June version. And also that sweet bump up to 120hz with ULMB.

I'm ordering mine on saturday, since I won't be home before that. Just hoping it won't be sold out at the shop from which I want to order it from, the units available are dropping each day...

EDIT: Oh lol, just checked it again to be sure (there were less than 10 units in stock), but they got a new shipment today and it's out of the danger zone (no more warning with 'only X amount in stock').

Top Bottom