• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Derpcrawler

Wait! Are they released? Where did you buy it from? I have been hunting for this bad boy :)

I live in China, they went on sale on Tmall.com (chinese online platform for approved sellers, similar to Amazon).

I saw them popping up on June 11, ordered same day, it arrived on Friday, so last couple of day I was screwing around with it.

I live in China, they went on sale on Tmall.com (chinese online platform for approved sellers, similar to Amazon).

I saw them popping up on June 11, ordered same day, it arrived on Friday, so last couple of day I was screwing around with it.

Nice! Please let us know more about it. Maybe open a new dedicated thread :)

Derpcrawler

Nice! Please let us know more about it. Maybe open a new dedicated thread :)

You think it's thread worthy? Not sure about that. But as I said, monitor is really good. Acer squishy and overall cheap as fuck. This Asus just looks premium. That is pure looks.

I also like per-calibrated colors out of the box on Asus as well as HDMI connection options. The backlight is very even across whole panel, at least on my particular sample. No dead pixels, no issues with bleed, much much better than Acer and on par with my Dell U2713H. Overall I don't regret a one bit switching Acer turd for this monitor, honestly, with my PC I can either get 144Hz locked in most games and 72Hz locked in everything else so Gsync is not an issue.

Damn it ! What's the best retailer to buy this monitor right now ? i think i should just wait for the other iterations cuz it seems the reviews are kinda mixed ?

You think it's thread worthy? Not sure about that. But as I said, monitor is really good. Acer squishy and overall cheap as fuck. This Asus just looks premium. That is pure looks.

I also like per-calibrated colors out of the box on Asus as well as HDMI connection options. The backlight is very even across whole panel, at least on my particular sample. No dead pixels, no issues with bleed, much much better than Acer and on par with my Dell U2713H. Overall I don't regret a one bit switching Acer turd for this monitor, honestly, with my PC I can either get 144Hz locked in most games and 72Hz locked in everything else so Gsync is not an issue.

This monitor is thread worthy :) IMO as this could be the best choice for those that don't want to pay premium for the G-Sync versions.

Also it's getting very good reviews.

Please explain. Honest question :)

I'm not defending g-sync, mind you; that's why I said "variable refresh rates".

But really, having the ability to match your gpu's output on the screen means you're no longer bound to 30/60hz locking, or to whatever multiple of your refresh your monitor holds onto when framerates drop.

G-sync/freesync is one of the (if not "the") biggest upgrades anyone could have on gaming rig.

Visual clarity has so much to do with motion clarity it's unbelievable we had to wait this long to have something like g-sync.

You can have a game fluctuate between say 32 and 46 fps and your monitor would match that, eliminating tear, blur, ghosting and other nasty artifacts (giving you better response on controls). Of course as fps increase, you'll get better results.

But recently I've been able to play maxed out games at only 28-35 fps without incurring into sickness or eye-bleeding xD

I'm not defending g-sync, mind you; that's why I said "variable refresh rates".

But really, having the ability to match your gpu's output on the screen means you're no longer bound to 30/60hz locking, or to whatever multiple of your refresh your monitor holds onto when framerates drop.

G-sync/freesync is one of the (if not "the") biggest upgrades anyone could have on gaming rig.

Visual clarity has so much to do with motion clarity it's unbelievable we had to wait this long to have something like g-sync.

You can have a game fluctuate between say 32 and 46 fps and your monitor would match that, eliminating tear, blur, ghosting and other nasty artifacts (giving you better response on controls). Of course as fps increase, you'll get better results.

But recently I've been able to play maxed out games at only 28-35 fps without incurring into sickness or eye-bleeding xD

Thank You!
But this monitor MG279Q supports Freesync correct? So it's a good alternative for those that want to avoid paying more for a G-Sync monitor.

Thank You!
But this monitor MG279Q supports Freesync correct? So it's a good alternative for those that want to avoid paying more for a G-Sync monitor.

Yes it's solid choice - altrough there's still enough diffrences to justify 200$ imho

First you get ULMB mode on Acer, second you have VRR working in 1-144Hz range, third Asus get's around 10ms input lag when running below 144 Hz.

Lanark

Yes it's solid choice - altrough there's still enough diffrences to justify 200$ imho

First you get ULMB mode on Acer, second you have VRR working in 1-144Hz range, third Asus get's around 10ms input lag when running below 144 Hz.

And most people likely have little choice, unless you are about to buy a new GPU as well, your currect GPU would determine whether you're going to get a Gsync of Freesync monitor.

mm04

The whole point of buying this monitor is because of the G-SYNC component. So choosing the Asus FreeSync monitor makes no sense whatsoever if you have an actual Nvidia GPU. I suppose it's possible that someday Nvidia will support FreeSync, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Derpcrawler

ULMB doesn't work with Gsync and locks IPS monitors to 100Hz only. Also ULMB officially works only with Nvidia.

Then the refresh rate range on Acer G-sync is 40-144Hz, not 1-144Hz. Asus FreeSync have a range of 35-90Hz, IMO lower range is better due to how noticeable drops are at sub 50FPS.

And finally they are same latency in 144Hz, who in the right mind would run their new 144Hz screen it in 60/90Hz? As I said, in vast majority of games I get 110FPS+ stable in 1440p with SLI Titan X where there is literally no difference between G-sync and no G-sync 144Hz. Other games where I can't maintain stable 100-110FPS, I just lock to 72FPS making gameplay very smooth.

And finally, no HDMI was pain in the ass, since I had to keep two huge screens on my desktop - Acer and my old Dell U2713H, now I can get rid of Dell and just use Asus since it has HDMI.

Rolfgang

No, G-sync works at 1 - 144hz, there is an article about it on PCPer.

I'm thinking about buying this puppy together with a 980 Ti. I guess that will keep me busy for a while.

Alright, could anyone clarify this for me : can we have ULMB and G-Sync/FreeSync on the same monitor, and could they work also at the same time.
144 Hz, ___Sync 3440x1440 monitors are fascinating to me and I can't wait to purchase one.

Alright, could anyone clarify this for me : can we have ULMB and G-Sync/FreeSync on the same monitor, and could they work also at the same time.
144 Hz, ___Sync 3440x1440 monitors are fascinating to me and I can't wait to purchase one.

ULMB and G-Sync/FreeSync can exist on the same monitor, but they cannot be enabled at the same time. It's either one or the other.

Derpcrawler

You ask that, but in the same post you extol the virtues of HDMI and Freesync, both of which won't run at 144 Hz ;)

Well, for consoles you have 16.6ms latency input in best case scenario, so 17ms on display wont' make a difference, when you go to 30FPS titles it's even more negligible. Even then, it's still better than huge majority of TVs, on par with Sony Bravia sets which are considered best TVs for gaming.

I currently use a 1080p Dual-Monitor setup (this to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236337), I believe with DVI/HDMI.

I'm replacing my GTX 580 with GTX 980 Ti, and I'm planning on replacing 1 monitor with XB270HU or appending it and having 3 monitors. Most likely the former for now since I don't have desk space.

Question: I will be using the XB270HU as my gaming monitor, and the other 1-2 monitors for browsing/work/etc. By connecting them all together either dual or triple, does it diminish my performance in any way when playing games on the XB270HU @ 144Hz and 1440p?

Rolfgang

I currently use a 1080p Dual-Monitor setup (this to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236337), I believe with DVI/HDMI.

I'm replacing my GTX 580 with GTX 980 Ti, and I'm planning on replacing 1 monitor with XB270HU or appending it and having 3 monitors. Most likely the former for now since I don't have desk space.

Question: I will be using the XB270HU as my gaming monitor, and the other 1-2 monitors for browsing/work/etc. By connecting them all together either dual or triple, does it diminish my performance in any way when playing games on the XB270HU @ 144Hz and 1440p?

I don't know exactly how multiple monitors work, but is it possible to assign one monitor as a 'main' or something? Or turning off the other monitors while gaming? Because it might interfere with the resolution and/or G-sync.

I don't know exactly how multiple monitors work, but is it possible to assign one monitor as a 'main' or something? Or turning off the other monitors while gaming? Because it might interfere with the resolution and/or G-sync.

Yea you assign the main monitor (the one that will then have the dashboard on it) but I don't know what happens when they're different resolution and RR/Frequency monitors.

mm04

Yea you assign the main monitor (the one that will then have the dashboard on it) but I don't know what happens when they're different resolution and RR/Frequency monitors.

It won't be a problem. Nvidia control panel will auto-assign the G-Sync monitor as primary and your other monitor(s) as secondary etc. Differing resolution/refresh rate doesn't matter at all. My secondary 1440p monitor is a Korean 60hz IPS. I've had a 1080p monitor in the mix as well with no issues.

It won't be a problem. Nvidia control panel will auto-assign the G-Sync monitor as primary and your other monitor(s) as secondary etc. Differing resolution/refresh rate doesn't matter at all. My secondary 1440p monitor is a Korean 60hz IPS. I've had a 1080p monitor in the mix as well with no issues.

Ok sweet! Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems a real oversight not to have more than one input, and no HDMI/DVI. I realise they wouldn't get the benefit of gsync, but lots of people will want these displays for more than just a single computer. I need something that I can also use with my work laptop and at least one console. Displayport(gsync capable) + DVI + HDMI would have been ideal.

1080p gsync monitors have other inputs - are there really no 1440p ones (either now or coming soon?)

x3sphere

I have a 34" UM95 3440x1440 ultrawide right now, worth getting one of these? It wouldn't replace the Ultrawide, I would be adding this next to it.

I feel like I could use an additional monitor for productivity so that's how I'm justifying it, I'm just not sure if I should stick with the Ultrawide for gaming and get a cheaper 1440P display though. Never experienced 144 Hz or Gsync before.

edit: I went and ordered one from Amazon, hopefully I get a good unit. Some of the QC issues have been offputting.

Kvik

My unit arrived tonight and it's going great.

Checked for dead pixels and none can be found. A little of IPS bleed on bottom right corner of the screen, comes with the territory, I guess.

This is the May model, and it does support 120Hz ULMB.

Powered up The Witcher 3 and play with it a little, and I am now a GSYNC believer. Maybe it's my 980 SLI setup helping it shine, but framerate was smooth, there was no tearing, colour was phenomenal. I'm coming from an AOC 1080p TN panel circa 2009.

Can't wait to play with it some more on the weekend.

mm04

Good to hear. Once you go G-SYNC, there's no going back. I can never tolerate tearing in a game again. I don't know if it's related or not, but I have yet to suffer headaches and haven't felt nauseous playing certain FPS games since using this monitor. Bulletstorm was a big offender and now it's not. Anyway, maybe it's placebo, but I love the smoother gaming experience.

Hmm.. This was on amazon.com the other day for 794, now it's 769 but from a 3rd party. I really wanted to use my amazon card for 3% off. Newegg has it for 799 but idk.

The_Poet

Banned

Checked for dead pixels and none can be found. A little of IPS bleed on bottom right corner of the screen, comes with the territory, I guess.

Powered up The Witcher 3 and play with it a little, and I am now a GSYNC believer. Maybe it's my 980 SLI setup helping it shine, but framerate was smooth, there was no tearing, colour was phenomenal. I'm coming from an AOC 1080p TN panel circa 2009.

Theres updated models? Are there any other differences?

Is there a way to tell which one you are buying?

Kvik

Theres updated models? Are there any other differences?

Is there a way to tell which one you are buying?

I am not aware of any other differences, apart from the ULMB. The manufacturing date should be shown next to where the serial number of the monitor is placed on the side of the box.

Welp, best monitor (for now) confirmed.

Why the stealth upgrade? Firmware upgrade, originally underclocked for yield reasons, manufacturing breakthrough? Do current customers get the upgrade?

Grassy

Mine showed up a few days ago. I ordered on the 28th of April so I was happy it finally arrived. No dead pixels or dust under the screen, and yeah I also have the backlight bleed in the bottom right corner but it's nothing major.

I also got the May model and yep it supports 120Hz ULMB which is a nice bonus. I also tried the ICC profile from tftcentral, but as another user here said, it gives the greys a blue tinge to it which just doesn't look right to me so I canned that profile. However the calibrated settings they provided are an improvement. Coming from a 4 year-old ASUS Ve248H which had horrible ghosting issues, this monitor is a big step-up for me.

I guess I should mention G-Sync too, I fucking love it to be honest. It just makes everything so smooth. I wasn't sure of the impact it would make but it is indeed well worth the price. If you're on the fence about getting one of these monitors, just do it. Playing Project Cars now it makes such a difference, it's just so fluid. I actually couldn't stop playing because it just looks so good in motion. I haven't even tried with an FPS game yet. Very happy with it.

*Stumbles into GSYNC while part shopping
*Hey this is great
*ugh, why is the cheapest monitor $600 CDN

I'd gladly pay a $150 premium over a regular monitor, but this is just...as expensive or more than a high end videocard. I don't suppose there are any whispers of new 1080p, 24" GSYNC panels out there?

riflen

*Stumbles into GSYNC while part shopping
*Hey this is great
*ugh, why is the cheapest monitor $600 CDN

I'd gladly pay a $150 premium over a regular monitor, but this is just...as expensive or more than a high end videocard. I don't suppose there are any whispers of new 1080p, 24" GSYNC panels out there?

I think AOC make one. G2460PG.

Seems a real oversight not to have more than one input, and no HDMI/DVI. I realise they wouldn't get the benefit of gsync, but lots of people will want these displays for more than just a single computer. I need something that I can also use with my work laptop and at least one console. Displayport(gsync capable) + DVI + HDMI would have been ideal.

1080p gsync monitors have other inputs - are there really no 1440p ones (either now or coming soon?)

What? You want to plug two different computers into this one monitor at the same time? Why? That's a very niche scenario on a very niche product.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What? You want to plug two different computers into this one monitor at the same time? Why? That's a very niche scenario on a very niche product.

Is it really? For example, I have my work laptop and gaming PC hooked up to it. When the work day is done (or on lunch break), I can sleep the laptop and use my PC. I'm not using them at the same time, but I don't want to be reaching around and unplugging stuff all the time when I should just be able to change inputs. Also I want to plug my PS3 in.

I can't believe that is really a niche scenario?

Is it really? For example, I have my work laptop and gaming PC hooked up to it. When the work day is done (or on lunch break), I can sleep the laptop and use my PC. I'm not using them at the same time, but I don't want to be reaching around and unplugging stuff all the time when I should just be able to change inputs. Also I want to plug my PS3 in.

I can't believe that is really a niche scenario?

That's pretty niche. A minority of people are plugging in multiple devices into a monitor and even less are doing it with two PCs.

They make Displayport switches if that's what you're looking for. http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Bl...3ypr3O84_v4mcp337FcuXkTaQgmHEkYyxAaAkE98P8HAQ

Justinh

I got the non-U version of this monitor last month (only 1080p not QHD, TN not IPS)
I love it, It's my first high-framerate monitor and it's my first G-Sync monitor.

I've never tried ULMB since I can't have it on with Gsync, though. I guess it might make sense to try it on older games like brutal doom through zandronum where I don't have to worry about the framerate? I guess I don't really understand why someone would use ULMB over Gsync...

Interesting. Hadn't considered AOC before. Sadly it's even more expensive at ~$700, which is crazy. I like the looks of the BenQ but $600 for 1080p TN is just so hard to swallow.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I definitely want a g-sync monitor but don't really want to pay out the butt for one. I'm hopeful prices will drop before the end of the year.

I just got this monitor last week, upgrading from a 1080p 60 hz TN. It's definitely nicer looking all around, and I appreciate the improved view angle.

However, I've read some misinformed assumptions on some other forums about G-sync. Some people are under the impression that G-sync will somehow miraculously cure the look of fluctuating framerates, or in some really zany comments, improve framerates. And that is false. G-sync does not change your framerate. If your PC fluctuated between 20 and 60 fps with a game and v-sync off before, it will still do exactly that now.

G-sync gets rid of the screen tearing of v-sync off, while also avoiding the input lag/stutter of v-sync on. If you're sensitive to VISUALLY noticing framerate fluctuations like I am, you will still notice them with G-sync. The only way to get rid of fluctuations is with upgrading cpu/gpu and/or adjusting game settings.

I still notice the fps drop when I drive into a really grassy area in GTA5, but the stutter and input lag of v-sync is gone. I will say that it is still a wonderful upgrade. For years now, input lag and stutter of v-sync has been bothered me with almost every graphically demanding game. Sometimes it's enough for me to stop playing and mess with settings to get rid of it. I odn't have to do that now.

Banned
This monitor plus a GTX 980 Ti has changed my life forever. Everything is so fucken beautiful and smooth. Even buggy ass PC ports that cap around 40 for like FFXIII look smooth and judder free with G-sync. Highly recommended. It can extend the life of an older gpu if you can't max at 60fps but get around 35-50 fps.

Top Bottom