• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Acer XB270HU monitor review (144Hz 1440p IPS G-sync)

Got this today after ordering it on Sunday from Newegg.

Holy shit, this thing is completely blowing my mind. I'm coming from a Dell U2211H IPS monitor so just the size of this is perfect for me. But I don't know if its the GSYNC with my 970 or the 144Hz but just messing around in Alien Isolation and my god, its so SMOOTH looking.

No dead pixels or anything that I've noticed so far and the only perceptible backlight bleed along the bottom right corner isn't any worse than my old Dell IPS and you only really notice it if you've got a pure black screen.

So its pretty great so far!

ugh, you're making me jealous!

newegg.ca back-order am cry-cry-cryyyy!

glad to hear another positive report for this monitor though, some pixels on my Dell U2713HM just died and i'd like to order this to have while i RMA this current setup.

you primarily gaming focused?

any feedback on photo work etc?

ugh, you're making me jealous!

newegg.ca back-order am cry-cry-cryyyy!

glad to hear another positive report for this monitor though, some pixels on my Dell U2713HM just died and i'd like to order this to have while i RMA this current setup.

you primarily gaming focused?

any feedback on photo work etc?

Yeah, I'm mostly going to be using this for gaming and regular browsing, office applications and maybe some occasional photoshop/art stuff. And The Witcher 3 coming up.

But I literally just got it set up and am really impressed. Even just bumping up from 1080p to 1440p gives you so much more screen real estate.

epmode

I mentioned this on the last page but I'm getting a replacement XB270HU tomorrow and I want to know if I should expect to see this again or if it really is a defect:

edit edit: I also notice.. light shining through dozens/hundreds of pixels about 1.5 inches from the edge of the screen. It's only noticeable on dark/black colors but it's all over the place. I don't know how else to describe it. My last LCD didn't have this problem.

It looks like a lot of really dim stars, only visible when displaying a very dark color. I hope it's a defect but there were so many specks all over the place, I'd like to be sure.

d00d3n

Anyone backing out and getting Predator Z35 instead of this? VA screen, 2560x1080, 144Hz, still g-sync and 21:9 aspect ratio (can be a negative for some incompatible games I guess). Obviously it will take some time until it is released and it is an unproven quantity compared with the XB270HU.

I have a XB270HU pre-ordered, but was just told that delivery has been delayed. Should I cancel my order (costs me nothing) and get the Z35 instead? The display will only be used for gaming. I currently use an Eizo Foris fg2421 as my main display.

Anyone backing out and getting Predator Z35 instead of this? VA screen, 2560x1080, 144Hz, still g-sync and 21:9 aspect ratio (can be a negative for some incompatible games I guess). Obviously it will take some time until it is released and it is an unproven quantity compared with the XB270HU.

I have a XB270HU pre-ordered, but was just told that delivery has been delayed. Should I cancel my order (costs me nothing) and get the Z35 instead? The display will only be used for gaming. I currently use an Eizo Foris fg2421 as my main display.

Even the VA panel, 21:9 ratio and the fact that it is curved can overcome the fact it's still only 1080p.

It's just not enough vertical pixels.

d00d3n

Even the VA panel, 21:9 ratio and the fact that it is curved can overcome the fact it's still only 1080p.

It's just not enough vertical pixels.

I think vertical pixels would be enough for gaming. The relatively low resolution would also lead to more manageable workloads for my gpu. I worry about having to configure fov on a game by game basis, though, after just having left SLI micromanagement hell. Individual pixels may also be annoyingly large considering the screen size.

Dreathlock

Why should i pay $1300+ for a smaller resolution than my smartphone? And i am 100% sure i would be regreting this very fast when a similiar monitor with a good resolution comes out 6 months later.

Kiant

I mentioned this on the last page but I'm getting a replacement XB270HU tomorrow and I want to know if I should expect to see this again or if it really is a defect:

It looks like a lot of really dim stars, only visible when displaying a very dark color. I hope it's a defect but there were so many specks all over the place, I'd like to be sure.

Keep us updated. I'm in the same boat. Lotttt of bleeding issues. All the bottom right corner is a goldy looking bleed. Overclockers are supposed to be arranging the swap with Acer, so will hopefully hear something today. According to the guy on support all the current units at OC haven't been QC'ed which boggles the mind.

Apart from the bleeding issue - it is a lovely monitor. So fingers crossed.

d00d3n

I would if it was 3440x1440. But if you use it exclusively for gaming/media it might be enough.

I will spend the day obsessing over this and make a decision tonight, I think. It would suck to miss out on g-sync for the Witcher 3 release window, but the new screen may come out quite close to that anyway ...

Dreathlock

I will spend the day obsessing over this and make a decision tonight, I think. It would suck to miss out on g-sync for the Witcher 3 release window, but the new screen may come out quite close to that anyway ...

I dont think you will see a Z35 in stores for the next 6 months.

epmode

Keep us updated. I'm in the same boat. Lotttt of bleeding issues. All the bottom right corner is a goldy looking bleed. Overclockers are supposed to be arranging the swap with Acer, so will hopefully hear something today. According to the guy on support all the current units at OC haven't been QC'ed which boggles the mind.

Apart from the bleeding issue - it is a lovely monitor. So fingers crossed.

Just got my replacement. No apparent dust so far, the issue with light bleeding through the screen like dim stars is not happening. It's almost perfect. The only problem is the light bleed in the bottom right corner. I can probably get used to it considering that my last monitor also had some light bleed.

edit: Spotted a dead pixel. Yeesh. Pretty sure it's not stuck since it's always black.

Would you return a panel because of a single dead pixel? I don't really notice it unless I look for it but I'm a little annoyed that it's there in the first place.

edit: Might just keep it unless I hear that the backlight bleed is fixed. I love G-Sync.

Dries

Just got my replacement. No apparent dust so far, the issue with light bleeding through the screen like dim stars is not happening. It's almost perfect. The only problem is the light bleed in the bottom right corner. I can probably get used to it considering that my last monitor also had some light bleed.

edit: Spotted a dead pixel. Yeesh. Pretty sure it's not stuck since it's always black.

Would you return a panel because of a single dead pixel? I don't really notice it unless I look for it but I'm a little annoyed that it's there in the first place.

edit: Might just keep it unless I hear that the backlight bleed is fixed. I love G-Sync.

I also have one single dead pixel and no way am I returning it. I'll never have a replacement in time for TW3 and I honestly don't really see it anyway.

mm04

No dead pixels, but mine has backlight bleeding in the 2 bottom corners, but only noticeable in completely black backgrounds. While gameplaying (in my hour+ of testing with various games), which is what I bought it or, it's virtually unnoticeable. While watching a 2.35:1 aspect ratio movie I see it. I'm keeping it, though. I have it paired with a Shimiam QH270 and if I'm ever in the mood to watch a movie on my computer, which is rare since I have a dedicated home theater for it, I can watch it on that monitor. The two monitors are very similar in color etc., but the Shimiam has a touch less backlight bleeding. G-Sync is the selling point though. Shadow of Mordor and RYSE are smoother experiences at close to max settings.

Edit: Oh and no tearing. Glorious.

epmode

I also have one single dead pixel and no way am I returning it. I'll never have a replacement in time for TW3 and I honestly don't really see it anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll hold onto it unless I hear that the backlight bleeding is fixed in a later production run. I have a hard time finding the pixel even when I look for it and it's completely unnoticeable in games.

PrettyhateM

Neo Member
Just got mine! A tiny bit of light bleed on the bottom right. There is a somewhat large spec of dust on the top of the screen. I didnt really notice it with a couple hours of use. But it is definitely there and noticeable. Trying to decide if I should send it back for a replacement.

Man, it's kind of weird to me that in 2015, while tech has vastly improved, backlight bleed and dead pixels haven't. Argh. It's hard to shell out near a grand just to get a dead pixel or more. 2 out of 3 of my last monitors had a dead pixel and they were $200-$300 each and while that is still a crapload of money, it doesn't hurt as much as this $800 monitor would and I just deal with it. Seems to be a lot of work to deal with CS to replace it for something that's near a grand. But I'd definitely replace it if I had a dead pixel. I can't take dead pixels anymore, they irk me to no end.

With all that being said.... I'll see how Witcher 3 runs with my bare bones 1080p monitor first before making such a purchase :\

HyperionX

Just ordered mine from newegg. Will find out in the next couple of days whether this monitor lives up to expectations and/or have build quality issues.

Jimrpg

After ordering it sometime in April on Amazon, my XB270HU finally arrived this week. Having played with it the last couple of nights, it is pretty damn awesome. I've been a console and handheld gamer for the last 3 generations, so framerates, image quality has never really bothered me, I've always just played with what I've been given. But with my new PC, I decided to get the best monitor I could get.

Regarding the monitor I received, it is near perfect so I'm very pleased about that. There's one stuck/dead pixel in the bottom left, which is not very noticeable, and there seems to be IPS glow/BLB in the bottom right but when I look dead on at it in the corner, its not there. Plus when I take a photo of just a black wallpaper, its not there either. The monitor was manufacturered in January 2015.

Best thing about the monitor is of course 144hz and G-Sync, it just makes everything so smooth. With a GTX 970, on Assetto Corsa, I've turned a lot of things up and getting around 130fps and the game is rock solid. I'm also getting perfect performance with GTA V. I've turned down the extended scaling distance a bit and shadows on softest and its running amazing at 1440p. The picture is really crisp at this resolution and way better than 1080p which I was playing on previously.

The only tiny negative I would say about this monitor is that if you like to watch movies or tv shows, you're going to have to stretch out that 1080p picture, watch in a window or watch in 4k if you have the bandwidth. Also games running at 1080p look fine, its a little blurry, but not a deal breaker. For me, Id rather turn some things down and play in 1440p.

mm04

It's definitely a nice monitor. It's funny, once you don't experience tearing, you kind of forget it ever existed. I just attached mine to a new monitor mount with my Achieva Shimian. Both are 1440p IPS. Except one costs almost 4x as much :lol

ZkesVkB.jpg

alright, grew tired of waiting for newegg.ca to get these back in stock [wanted to use PayPal, but oh well].

ordered through acer.ca's online shop, priority shipping, will report back with comparisons to my Dell u2713hm once it arrives.

was playing Titanfall again today [as I do, well, every day] and the input lag / response time of my Dell was just becoming unbearable - excited to see a reduction in lag across the board [not to mention TEAR FREE G-SYNC GLORY].

mm04 - what kind of monitor mount are you using? i really, really, really hate the look of the stand that comes with the Acer, so hoping to invest in a mount myself!

bigb0ss

Banned
It's definitely a nice monitor. It's funny, once you don't experience tearing, you kind of forget it ever existed. I just attached mine to a new monitor mount with my Achieva Shimian. Both are 1440p IPS. Except one costs almost 4x as much :lol

ZkesVkB.jpg

Congrats. I have the Achieva Shimian as well. Would you compare the two please? (Colors, viewing angle, screen reflection, etc)

mm04

mm04 - what kind of monitor mount are you using? i really, really, really hate the look of the stand that comes with the Acer, so hoping to invest in a mount myself!

QualGear

Congrats. I have the Achieva Shimian as well. Would you compare the two please? (Colors, viewing angle, screen reflection, etc)

Colors are very similar and so are the viewing angles. On the plus side for the Shimian has less backlight bleed than my Acer. I guess YMMV on that, though. Both don't have any dead pixels. On the plus side for the Acer, less glare. The Shimian has that glassy screen whereas the Acer has the regular screen coating that most monitors have. And of course, G-Sync. I didn't find it to be mind-blowing. What it does is it makes your gaming experience consistently close to the best your rig can offer. It runs like you expect games to run, as opposed to the reality of sporadic tearing and hitching. It's one of those things that if I didn't have it now, I'd really miss it. But when it's working, you don't even notice it because you only really notice bad performance and G-Sync minimizes the negative impact.

impact

Banned

ZkesVkB.jpg

this nigga got two 1440p IPS, one at 144hz, and he still using a 125hz mouse

LOL

trilobyte

I think I got a dud

The panel is fine, but about an hour after I power off, it switches itself back on (even if the computer is shut off) wtf? :(

HyperionX

Just ordered mine from newegg. Will find out in the next couple of days whether this monitor lives up to expectations and/or have build quality issues.

As it turns out, mine was almost good enough to be acceptable, but it had some dust or damage right in the middle of the screen. Sending it back since it's pretty noticeable.

mine just arrived!

so far pretty cool, although when i try and load the icc profile from tft central is turns all my greys rather... blue.

is neogaf supposed to be predominantly grey, or blue-grey?

wondering if my eyes are just so used to the "wrong" colours that i'm thinking the tft icc profile is wrong...

also gmail - read messages should be grey, not bluish, no?

oh god this is frustrating

mine just arrived!

so far pretty cool, although when i try and load the icc profile from tft central is turns all my greys rather... blue.

is neogaf supposed to be predominantly grey, or blue-grey?

wondering if my eyes are just so used to the "wrong" colours that i'm thinking the tft icc profile is wrong...

also gmail - read messages should be grey, not bluish, no?

oh god this is frustrating

neogaf is grey/white w/ blue user names and buttons. your own posts are sky blue, people that quote you are green.

neogaf is grey/white w/ blue user names and buttons. your own posts are sky blue, people that quote you are green.

thats what i thought, thanks for the quick confirmation!

definitely seems the standard icc profile is working correctly then - the tft central one just makes all greys look like pale candy coated blue... :/

on another note - G-SYNC IS AMAZING!

i can run Witcher 3 with hairworks on and everything now, and not notice the <60fps experience!

running a 4770k w/ GTX 980 SC and everything runs a dream now.

going to try Mordor now!

thats what i thought, thanks for the quick confirmation!

definitely seems the standard icc profile is working correctly then - the tft central one just makes all greys look like pale candy coated blue... :/

on another note - G-SYNC IS AMAZING!

i can run Witcher 3 with hairworks on and everything now, and not notice the <60fps experience!

running a 4770k w/ GTX 980 SC and everything runs a dream now.

going to try Mordor now!

the tft one works great for me, did you adjust the color settings to the values tft recommends?

the tft one works great for me, did you adjust the color settings to the values tft recommends?

just tried that again to be sure - still making thread topic backgrounds look more blue than grey.

same with unread messages in gmail, still looking far too blue!

edit: not to mention it's looking way too dark as well - just not sure why this is steering me so wrong!

Dries

So, I've been using the .icc profile from tftcentral and it's awesome. I've had the XB270HU for about a month now. But now I'm reading that most games ignore custom .icc profiles once they go into Fullscreen mode. This can be helped by playing in Borderless Window mode.

Is this true? Cause I've been playing in Fullscreen mode for years...

touch peeved with Acer's return process.

Dell always sent me a return waybill via email, and then shipped a replacement monitor straight away.

Acer sends you a return waybill via regular mail, and then won't ship a replacement monitor until the dud is received back.

got the unholy trinity of defects with my first try - dead pixels, dust under the screen, and horrible backlight bleed.

dear god let there be a decent monitor sitting in their factory for me...

BashNasty

Just got mine in tonight. Really excited to check it out. I've had my current 1680x1050 gateway monitor for almost 8 years, but once I heard about G-sync around a year and a half ago, I knew I wanted that tech in a monitor. When I heard about this monitor from this very thread, I knew it was the monitor I wanted.

Going home now to fire it up. Reading the horror stories of dead pixels/dust in this thread has me a little worried, but I tend to have pretty good luck with this stuff, plus I'm not overly sensitive to it, so I'm pretty sure everything is gonna be fine.

Excited!

Google

I just this second purchased an open box version of this monitor for $688.97 CAD from NCIX.

I'm travelling right now for work so will pick it up when I'm back in Vancouver but this a great deal saving nearly $300 off CAD retail.

If it comes fucked up, I don't really care because I'll just return it to the manufacturer and they'll (hopefully) send me a brand, new shiny one and I'll have saved over 25%.

They have a couple left in stock if anyone's interested.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/acer-xb270hu-bprz-27in-wqhd-6f-107442.htm

I just this second purchased an open box version of this monitor for $688.97 CAD from NCIX.

I'm travelling right now for work so will pick it up when I'm back in Vancouver but this a great deal saving nearly $300 off CAD retail.

If it comes fucked up, I don't really care because I'll just return it to the manufacturer and they'll (hopefully) send me a brand, new shiny one and I'll have saved over 25%.

They have a couple left in stock if anyone's interested.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/acer-xb270hu-bprz-27in-wqhd-6f-107442.htm

I would buy it but I'm nervous about there being dead pixels..

algert

Banned
Mine's similar to a few others here, one dead pixel and some noticeable glow in bottom right. Not having a convenient way to turn off the blue LED is bothering me more than the glow, though.

Dartastic

Got curious about this monitor due to the fact that I'm putting together a new computer and this thread got bumped. Then I saw that for a 27 inch screen it was almost 800 on Amazon. Yikes. No thanks.

There's a certain number of acceptable dead pixels though. For Acer it appears to be 4 per million pixels (http://static.acer.com/up/Resource/...213.pdf#_ga=1.163732927.1093031810.1432181747), which would imply 14-15 pixels are acceptable.

hrmm - they didn't give me any guff when i processed my first return today, and i definitely only spot 3 dead pixels so far [and dust under the screen].

to be honest though, i don't notice the dead pixels so much as the dust trapped under the screen - it looks like a stain on a concrete floor [ie - highly distracting]

ChRoNiTe

Had mine for a little over a month now and its been pretty awesome. Been going back to revisit games in my Steam library just to see the differences the high refresh rate and gsync makes.

A few games though just don't seem to run very well with gsync enabled. When the game starts up the frames skip around as well as the audio dropping in and out. I've noticed this in the original F.E.A.R, Far Cry 2, Far Cry and Portal 2. In Portal 2 I can correct the issue by changing the game resolution down to 1080p and then switching it back to 1440p and it will run butter smooth afterwards.

Maybe there's a setting or a config anyone knows about to correct this? I've been searching on Google, but don't get many results.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Had mine for a little over a month now and its been pretty awesome. Been going back to revisit games in my Steam library just to see the differences the high refresh rate and gsync makes.

A few games though just don't seem to run very well with gsync enabled. When the game starts up the frames skip around as well as the audio dropping in and out. I've noticed this in the original F.E.A.R, Far Cry 2, Far Cry and Portal 2. In Portal 2 I can correct the issue by changing the game resolution down to 1080p and then switching it back to 1440p and it will run butter smooth afterwards.

Maybe there's a setting or a config anyone knows about to correct this? I've been searching on Google, but don't get many results.

In some games you have to disable VSync in the game's settings, it can sometimes force vsync and then GSync can't work well.

Prefer disabling vsync in every games, this way you are sure GSync is forced.

Also, make sure games are in real fullscreen and not borderless.

It looks like a lot of Canadian retailers got this back in stock. I just ordered one from NCIX and price matched against DirectCanada.

Please don't have defects. I bought the zero dead pixel policy just in case though...

Was there an update that made G-Sync work on windowed fullscreen modes? I remember it didn't on launch and that was a big complaint, but it seems to be working now.

Top Bottom