• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Active shooter incident' reported at Tennessee naval center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the cycle of reporting and discussion:

* Mental Illness
* VA not doing enough for our troops
* It's not a fully automatic gun you don't know what you're talking about
* Maybe if a citizen had been armed

* Maybe we DO have a problem with guns?
* Sweden has more gun deaths per capita if you include sheep and grass
* Let's do nothing at all

No doubt.

Since the cause discussion has already started: I think I'd blame our (American) culture before mental illness. But I guess maybe our culture is an illness. Also as a gun owner myself I am in favor of stricter controls being put in place for purchasing and owning a firearm.

Dishwalla

Banned
They are showing on CNN a strip mall with a National Guard center in it.

Something about a person sitting in a convertible Mustang with a high powered weapon.

Crying about mental illness is the right's favorite way to deflect from the real solution that will actually save lives.

Also, I have yet to hear a cogent proposal about how we would prevent the mentally ill from getting guns.

I literally said that the fact that we have poor mental health facilities and the fact that they can get the weapons go hand in hand, but please continue to push your assumptions on me.

* Mental Illness
* ISIS
* Immigrants

Basically. I'm going to ignore this stuff for now and just focus on updating the OP. People can talk about what they want, mods will deal with that stuff

Link

The Autumn Wind
Did those countries already have 350 million guns in their possesion?
This is such a cop-out response. Yeah, let's just not even bother doing anything since we've already fucked it up so badly. Maybe we should just burn the whole country to the ground, huh?

This. Gun control will never stop the wrong people from having weapons.

First world countries with stricter gun laws say otherwise.

You're thinking of long-term criminals who traffic and buy guns in an underground market. Many of these crazed gunmen just buy their shit from a store. The Charleston shooter did exactly that and the gun was sold to him despite him having a prior felony charge.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...error-let-charleston-shooting-suspect-buy-gun

Under the normal process, if gun dealers do not hear back from the FBI with a flat denial in three business days, they are free to sell the weapon to the person who filled out the biographical paperwork. And that's what the gun store did with Roof on April 16.

So before we go out tooting horns that "crazies will get guns regardless", let's actually fix this shit and see whether those claims actually hold up in reality, OK?

OctoMan

Banned
This is such a cop-out response. Yeah, let's just not even bother doing anything since we've already fucked it up so badly. Maybe we should just burn the whole country to the ground, huh?
Um that's not what I was responding to. The situation is incomparable to most other countries. That is the bigger cop out.

KingGondo

Banned
I literally said that the fact that we have poor mental health facilities and the fact that they can get the weapons go hand in hand, but please continue to push your assumptions on me.
First of all, we know a gun was involved. We know nothing about the shooter at this point.

I just think it's vastly unfair to the mentally ill (of which there are many) to immediately shout "mental illness!" after every shooting. Especially when the (disingenuous, in my opinion) calls for better mental health care were propagated by the NRA after Sandy Hook.

* Mental Illness
* ISIS
* Immigrants

Forgot "False flag event, shooter was sent by the US government so they can tighten their control on our guns"

Link

The Autumn Wind
We have no excuses besides a lack of political will on gun control.

Crying about mental illness is the right's favorite way to deflect from the real solution that will actually save lives.

Also, I have yet to hear a cogent proposal about how we would prevent the mentally ill from getting guns.
And as much as they like to espouse about the problem of mental illness, I don't see them doing anything to address that, either. It's nothing but a deflection technique.

riotous

Banned
And as much as they like to espouse about the problem of mental illness, I don't see them doing anything to address that, either. It's nothing but a deflection technique.

Especially since it relates to gun control; there is a terribly low amount of reporting to the FBI on who is mentally ill and shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

And it's from States that disagree with the Brady Bill; there are entire states that in the last 2 decades have only reported 1 or 2 people to the FBI as being too mentally ill to own guns.

There is zero support among conservatives for strengthening these laws, getting funding to ensure proper reporting of mental illness, or as other's have mentioned, strengthening laws and support for mental illness in general.

I don't like seeing liberals leave it at a snarky "they'll use mental illness as an excuse" remarks either.. mental illness IS a part of the issue here. We can turn the conservative excuse into a real rallying point to enact positive change.. instead it's mostly just snark and nobody suggesting anything be done about it.

OctoMan

Banned
#BREAKING: #USNavy confirms no shooting at Reserve Center on Amnicola Highway, #Chattanooga, TN. (1/2)

#BREAKING CORRECTION: #USNavy confirms shooting at building on Amnicola Highway.

These from the official navy twitter. Not sure how they screwed that up but here we are.

E the Shaggy

According to CNN's front page, they've just requested a temporary flight restriction over Chattanooga.

Uhhhh is that standard practice for this kind of event?

riotous

Banned
According to CNN's front page, they've just requested a temporary flight restriction over Chattanooga.

Uhhhh is that standard practice for this kind of event?

Well apparently they are sending in homeland security helicopters.

The flight restriction thing matches what HUELEN saw on a video feed, giving it some credence.

HUELEN10

cj7drPq.jpg
Mayor just left the hospital, presumingly headed to press conference.

Crosseyes

Banned
A direct attack on US military personel then? I can see why they're at least reacting like it could be an organized terrorist attack.

-edit- CNN live feed has a pic of the recruitment office on their live feed. Thats was a full like 30 rounds unloaded into the place holy crap. Cant post while on mobile though.

So you're telling me all the people shot were good guys with guns? You'd almost think that solution doesn't actually work.

Seriously, though, I hope they're all ok.

No guns are allowed in recruiting centers or any military center.

So they didn't have guns on them

Souzetsu

My coworker's daughter recently moved to Tennessee and said there were 3 separate shooting incidents. Highways have been shutdown. Pretty crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom