• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Boyes Confirms: Call of Duty: Ghosts is Native 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

IN&OUT

Banned
The way he says 'very surprised' it makes me think that it's teh XONE that could look better. I mean, why would we be 'very surprised' if it was PS4... we are totally expecting it to be PS4 and therefore would NOT be 'very surprised'

I wish these ppl would just come out and say.

I know , I know ... NDA etc

From hardware specs perspective, chances of X1 version looking better than PS4 is : X*Y+176/32+ GDDR5+SHAPE = 0%

The way he says 'very surprised' it makes me think that it's teh XONE that could look better. I mean, why would we be 'very surprised' if it was PS4... we are totally expecting it to be PS4 and therefore would NOT be 'very surprised'

Hold onto that feeling... Streetlights... People...

Jack_AG

Banned

Or it means the gap is larger than we anticipated, which falls in line with many 3rd party dev comments alluding to it.

Well if the PS4 is 1080P and the XOne is 720P I think that would be very surprising to most people
who care

The footage that will be released will be mulitplayer PS4 and singleplayer XOne so its going to be hard to compare the two outwith the resolution.

StuBurns

Banned
It also fails to acknowledge advancements by Sony on their APIs moving forward. Still cannot get around the hardware strengths being leveraged by PS4.
Those strengths are indeed undeniable, but how much will they be used?

The reason there's the separation now, is the XBO is borked. I don't see developers actively trying to maximize PS4's advantage once they've got over the hurdle of eSRAM. People hanging their hat on GPGPU are in the same position as people thinking BluRay would be a PS3 advantage. If it's not on both, what incentive to developers have to use it? Unless Sony completely crush MS.

with all these resolution discussion

I wonder if Destiny will be 1080p on the Xbox One

do to marketing deals we only saw the game running on the PS4 and if the PS4 version is later confirmed to be native 1080p will the Xbox One is not will add even more success of the PS4 being the go to place for Destiny

About BF4... DICE doesn't fuck around with hardware. They are serious about tech. They wouldn't hamstring a game and....

About EA... They are backtracking quite a bit lately on their relationship with Microsoft and keep mentioning that they are platform agnostic. They aren't stupid, they see the projections and they like money.

Again, I don't have the slightest clue what BF4 is like on the xbox one. But I am confident about the two statements above. The whole "forced parity" thing has been paranoia from the start.

Kibbles

Well if the PS4 is 1080P and the XOne is 720P I think that would be very surprising to most people
who care

The footage that will be released will be mulitplayer PS4 and singleplayer XOne so its going to be hard to compare the two outwith the resolution.
So jackfrags is talking about comparing them but us using campaign vs multiplayer footage? Lol wtf that should not be used as a comparison at all.

StuBurns

Banned
About EA... They are backtracking quite a bit lately on their relationship with Microsoft and keep mentioning that they are platform agnostic. They aren't stupid, they see the projections and they like money.
They must have dozens of lawyers combing through every page of that TitanFall contract right now.

A year? Goddamn.

jaypah

It also fails to acknowledge advancements by Sony on their APIs moving forward. Still cannot get around the hardware strengths being leveraged by PS4.

He addressed it in a later post saying that MS will be constantly playing catch-up in a game that they can't win. Makes sense.

J-P

Neo Member
I found that to be very curious as well. My initial thought was frame rate issues. If that's the case, I think I might stay off of Gaf for the first few weeks after the X1 launch :)

Exactly. From what we have seen/heard, it seems like common sense that the PS4 version would be better. Since that is the common sense belief, I don't know why he would say we would be "very surprised". Either way, Oct 29th is going to be a very interesting day.

Well it could be that the gap is so huge it will be very surprising.

SuperD77

Banned
I guess my main point of confusion on the ESRAM issue is why it would be so much harder than what devs are used to working with on the 360,

Isn't the new Xbox's configuration fundamentally an extension of their current architecture? Is it simply a case of Microsoft underestimating the amount of ESRAM they'd need for higher resolutions or just a case of needing completely new APIs compared to what they were using for 360 and thus being late on getting those tools out to devs?

Gaz_RB

Yeah.

Microsoft will always be best at scooping up huge games with deep pockets. But Sony is going to have a much wider catalog.

I see "indies" or, rather, *some* indies morphing into the B/AA level devs of this gen. The games won't have huge budgets so the easier system to develop for (that likely will also have a larger install base) makes a lot of sense for them.

This is speculation, of course. But I think factually as of now there are far more PS4 games announced than Xbox One. Microsoft has huge ass games coming though - Titanfall and Halo next year will be massive (though not many people seem to mention this but the XB1 version of Titanfall will be by far the worst selling of the 3 versions). Sony will have huge games as well... WWS is cranking away.

I wouldn't be surprised if its a ps2/xbox type of thing. I don't mean that in sales but in terms of libraries. PS2 has the breadth... xbox pays for the blockbusters.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I imagine Sony's first party studios will be pumping out games faster as well.

Maybe Team ICO will actually get a game out.
They must have dozens of lawyers combing through every page of that Destiny contract right now.

A year? Goddamn.
You mean Titanfall?

I could be wrong, but I imagine there would be provisos regarding projected installed base and revenue, etc. etc. that come into play as well, not just time. If the PS4 does very well, while the XB1 isn't meeting those targets, I can imagine EA finding a way to bring it sooner rather than later.

They're very fond of money.

Agreed.

Jack_AG

Banned
About BF4... DICE doesn't fuck around with hardware. They are serious about tech. They wouldn't hamstring a game and....

Again, I don't have the slightest clue what BF4 is like on the xbox one. But I am confident about the two statements above. The whole "forced parity" thing has been paranoia from the start.

FeiRR

Banned
Do we have any info on the hardware upscaler in PS4? Maybe we're talking about a Ryse situation when the game is 900p or similar and after upscaling looks almost indistinguishable to native 1080p.

I want to be positively surprised so I'm taking a negative stance :p

stryke

Do we have any info on the hardware upscaler in PS4? Maybe we're talking about a Ryse situation when the game is 900p or similar and after upscaling looks almost indistinguishable to native 1080p.

I want to be positively surprised so I'm taking a negative stance :p

How do you know what Ryse looks like upscaled?

Pixelcounters have gotten native 1080p on media so far.

Do you believe this? does not pass the smell test for me. If it was true why would all developers not just make their games 900p

It's their fault, should have partnered with the ps4. Never underestimate the PlayStation.

To be fair, if you were a business person looking to make a solid deal a few years ago (Which is when I assume this "Titanfall deal" was in it's advent), MS would have appeared to be the right company to go to. Hell, before this year, I was convinced I'd be buying Xbox for this next gen. Things have changed rapidly; these kind of deals don't have that luxury.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1080p of ugliness and robotic animations remain ugliness and robotic animations.

Enough of this CoD nonsense.
Eh, it's nothing amazing, but the CoD games have looked pretty nice on the PC over the last few years. Certainly not technically impressive but still attractive enough. Ghosts seems like it should be a small improvement with higher resolution assets throughout even if the end results aren't great. The PS4 version should at least provide a reasonable PC-facsimile of an experience (ie - what a lot of people would get with the PC version). Naturally the PC can push image quality further but, still, it's a huge improvement over what you previously could get on last gen consoles.

LMAO at all the people believing an executive! Not a developer. Not a tech guy. An executive.
Well, to be fair, all signs point to this being the case and, really, it's Adam Boyes here not just a regular stiff shirt.

How do you know what Ryse looks like upscaled?

Pixelcounters have gotten native 1080p on media so far.
Have they actually released any real shots yet (as in, what we'll be seeing on our screens)?

Vizzeh

Banned
This adds a little doubt to Alberts statement, how can sony know its 1080p but Microsoft and Albert DOESNT know its 720p?

GodofWine

This adds a little doubt to Alberts statement, how can sony know its 1080p but Microsoft and Albert DOESNT know its 720p?

He should know, and if he doesnt know he should get on the phone and find it out cause he and it(xb1) are getting slightly pummeled.

I am in supplychain, if we have a product that my salesmen are getting killed on price or features over, they dont just tap dance for the customer, they get on the phone and either find out if we can do better/drop margins etc or chew my ass out saying WTF are we desk jockeys doing here blah blah blah.

Albert probably knows and if he doesnt it could be cause they really dont know cause they are coming in WAY hot on this.

my $.02

Corto

LMAO at all the people believing an executive! Not a developer. Not a tech guy. An executive.

There's always value in keeping a skeptic stance when reading some corporate/marketing double speak, but this is not the case. It's pretty much straightforward and without room for dubious interpretation.

They must have dozens of lawyers combing through every page of that TitanFall contract right now.

A year? Goddamn.

if they were that worried about only partnering with whoever appear to be ahead at that time then the ps3 deal of a couple of years ago would never have happened.

they get paid, they seal the deal.

If Mort pulls this one off along with the COD revelation he's going to enter CBOAT power levels.

IF that ends up being the case..
images

vpance

They know. Albert may continue to directly or indirectly shield himself from the news though, to maintain plausible deniability.

FeiRR

Banned
Do you believe this? does not pass the smell test for me. If it was true why would all developers not just make their games 900p
I took this screenshot and downscaled it to 1600x900 then upscaled it again to 1080 with Lanczos algorithm. This is the result. Try to save both and alternate between them. The second is more blurry, of course, but I bet it would be almost impossible to notice in movement and after applying some filters. I would probably fail a blind test on those and I sit very close to my 32" display. Remember that all first-hand reports are from gaming shows where lighting conditions aren't really good, people just have a few minutes to soak in everything and nobody is pixel counting.

Why wouldn't devs use it? HUD and text in general would suffer the most, as well as tiny elements of graphics (which is why high res is so important in a game like BF). X1 has display planes and can overlay 1080p HUD over any resolution. Can PS4 do that? I have no idea. I also don't know anything about hardware scalers in both. Also devs are usually ambitious people. If hardware allows 1080p and it's along their design of the game then why not have the best IQ possible?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
But the idea that games like CoD will be 720p the entire gen is silly... it will get optimized, as will most games. It just takes a bit more work.

I wouldn't necessarily count on that. There is an inherent ceiling in the XBO's architecture concerning resolutions and certain widespread rendering approaches. Forcing 1080p might not be possible without crossing out techniques and the visuals that come with them. A g-buffer with a depth of 12bytes already consumes ~24MB of space at 1080p. (You apparently can "bleed over" the eSRAM into main memory because both share the same address space from the point of view of the GPU. Nevertheless, that would necessarily impact performance, and I am curious to see if that is a viable approach.)

I search but can't find video of this dude saying it's 1080p native.
Does anyone have a link to the video?
I also just checked his Twitter account and nothing...

IN&OUT

Banned
All I can say about this debacle. Thank God that Sony didn't f**k up PS4 to the point I magically start caring about Services and TV rather than games...

They know. Albert may continue to directly or indirectly shield himself from the news though, to maintain plausible deniability.
Well, he has been warned that, unlike Reddit, if he lies here he'll get banned. This forum is very strict with its moderation. That's one of my favorite things about it, as it (generally) allows for better conversations without massive amounts of uninformed FUD shitting up the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom