• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albert Penello downplays XBO/PS4 difference in Tomb Raider; "we just shipped"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizzeh

Banned
In my experience when someone's answer to a difficult question begins with "Look, ..." the rest of the statement is usually bullshit.

Its usually a sign of frustration or anger/aggression. As was M.Nelson the other day stating that the online hate has to stop etc, It equally had me thinking, is there pressure behind the scenes here? (your never going to stop debates and conversations, no need for "hate" though)

Just get Titanfall out the door at 1080p 60fps and people might shut up about this. Lead by example.

If a simple game like Titanfall, the premier X1 "exclusive", can't hit 1080p, the meltdown will be incredibly to behold. I truly hope the 720p rumors aren't true, especially since the 360 version will probably not be far behind 720p.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think they don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way they’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

Microsoft, Blackberry has been doing mobile phone OS's longer than Apple and Google.
Look how thats working out for MS, BB. Sometimes you can have you ass handed to you by the competition even when you shouldnt.

But the ram differences and the XBO UI doing so much, Kinect integration...is it really that hard to imagine the PS4 being that much better for games?

Tsundere

Banned
If a simple game like Titanfall, the premier X1 "exclusive", can't hit 1080p, the meltdown will be incredibly to behold. I truly hope the 720p rumors aren't true, especially since the 360 version will probably not be far behind 720p.

It's 1080p.

Upscaled

Just get Titanfall out the door at 1080p 60fps and people might shut up about this. Lead by example.

Fidelity and performance aside (for a moment) I fully expect Titanfall to sell very well and raise the profile of Microsoft's gaming platforms amongst the masses.

I imagine Microsoft care more for that example than others.

Personally, I'd rather they cared about all the aspects of gaming I find significant, but a corporation's gonna do what a corporation's gonna do.

They really isn't much you can do when in terms of raw power you are behind 40-50%. At this point they should just never make a single comment about multiplat games again.

Having an exclusive at 1080P doesn't prove anything really when a majority of third party exclusives are lacking in some form or another. See Forza, does it being at 1080P prove anything? Not really. Doesn't change the fact that Tomb Raider is running at half the performance on the Xbox.

It changes perspective as the machine matures in terms of what it is capable of.

The PS3 got tons of lousy junky broken sub HD ports of Xbox 360 titles but Uncharted 2, God of War and all it proved that in the right hands it could compete and excel.

They would've been shouting from the rooftops that they hit 1080p/60fps. It's not happening anywhere but the PC version.

Cimeas

Banned

Honestly I would much prefer they kept the lower res textures and made the game 1080p native. Would be a lot better for PR as well. People can argue all day whether graphics are 'good' or 'bad', but it's hard to argue that 720p is better than 1080p.

Microsoft, Blackberry has been doing mobile phone OS's longer than Apple and Google.
Look how thats working out for MS, BB. Sometimes you can have you ass handed to you by the competition even when you shouldnt.

But the ram differences and the XBO UI doing so much, Kinect integration...is it really that hard to imagine the PS4 being that much better for games?

Pretty sure he's joking man.

A.Romero

What was the argument Sony used last gen when third party titles weren't as good as the Microsoft counter part?

I remember issues with Burnout, Darkness and Bayo, for example... Did they keep quiet? Did they blame the developers?

I think it would be interesting to compare both sides then and now...

Not trolling btw, I love my PS3 and have 0 games for 360 (recently got one as a gift).

SSM25

MS should just lose Kinect and drop the price to $350 (It's still weaker than the PS4). Then one could not bad mouth the Xbone with a straight face.

ViciousDS

Banned
rYsd9rP.jpg

Heretic

Any game can "hit 1080p". It's hitting it with all the bells and whistles that is the problem.

60fps or bust. Of course, both is always best.

nib95

Banned
What was the argument Sony used last gen when third party titles weren't as good as the Microsoft counter part?

I remember issues with Burnout, Darkness and Bayo, for example... Did they keep quiet? Did they blame the developers?

Not trolling btw, I love my PS3 and have 0 games for 360 (recently got one as a gift).

They just stayed quiet about the subject I believe. Let the exclusives do the talking if anything.

Tsundere

Banned

They didn't comment, afaik.

Sarobi

Banned
I don't suspect him to come out and say that they have the weaker machine.. but good god man just keep quiet. Is it hard to just say "No comment".

Sean*O

What a SCUMBAG. Now all but three games run the same on both boxes? He has more info behind the scenes.. more lies. MS needs to pull the plug on this guy and Nelson, and the clown who is giving them their orders.

Marleyman

Banned
He knows, what some don't in here, that the casuals aren't going to know/care at this point. Are they going to return their systems that they play sports games on and COD type games because of this? No way. I know these people. It is nothing more than internet fodder for core gamers on sites like ours to annihilate him over. Once we understand that I think some can move on to fight other battles.

They said lots of stupid things, yes, but from memory I don't remember them making up excuses for cross-platform games that performed worst on the PS3.

Yeah, they kept their mouths shut with that issue because they knew evidence was incredibly easy to find and addressing it would only help spread it. Whereas Penello's trying to tell us the sky isn't blue and is only helping to spread the message that the sky is in fact blue.

CoG

If a simple game like Titanfall, the premier X1 "exclusive", can't hit 1080p, the meltdown will be incredibly to behold. I truly hope the 720p rumors aren't true.

Killer Instant, a flagship launch title, a barely 3D game with two characters on the screen at once could not hit 1080p/60fps. Thinking Titanfall will be 1080p is setting yourself up for disappointment.

prwxv3

The die hard sony fanboys blamed the developers. I dont remember Sony saying much i could be wrong. They did have their ICE team help out third parties though.

Schrödinger's cat;98326979 said:
Fidelity and performance aside (for a moment) I fully expect Titanfall to sell very well and raise the profile of Microsoft's gaming platforms amongst the masses.

I imagine Microsoft care more for that example than others.

Personally, I'd rather they cared about all the aspects of gaming I find significant, but a corporation's gonna do what a corporation's gonna do.

And then Titanfall 2 probably releases on PS4? See, that's exactly why I have a big issue with MS relying on third parties. At least when Sony does it nowadays, they make sure they own the IP.

They just stayed quiet, exactly what MS should be doing.

Killer Instant, a flagship launch title, a barely 3D game with two characters on the screen at once could not hit 1080p/60fps. Thinking Titanfall will be 1080p is setting yourself up for disappointment.

True, but at least with KI you can use the "launch game" excuse (still laughable), Titanfall doesn't have any excuses. If it can't do it, there's something seriously wrong with the X1.

teiresias

So basically this amounts to "I believe what I said in the past was correct even though it's been proven incorrect, trust me, I know things."

Freki

He knows, what some don't in here, that the casuals aren't going to know/care at this point. Are they going to return their systems that they play sports games on and COD type games because of this? No way. I know these people. It is nothing more than internet fodder for core gamers on sites like ours to annihilate him over. Once we understand that I think some can move on to fight other battles.
So why say it at all then?

Heretic

Yeah, they kept their mouths shut with that issue because they knew evidence was incredibly easy to find and addressing it would only help spread it. Whereas Penello's trying to tell us the sky isn't blue and is only helping to spread the message that the sky is in fact blue.

But the sky isn't blue ;)

jayu26

Enable/Disable stuff under the option menus. Things like that shouldn't fragment the install base.

That's not how consoles games work. Devs have a target and they shoot for it the best they can. If they try to do what you are suggesting, the polish of the game will suffer. No dev is going to want that. PC environment it is different because hardware optimization is not the top priority. Even then people get pissed when game is not optimized for low level GPUs.

Yeah It's not like the last time there were clear differences between the quality of games on the PS3 or 360 that it was represented in sales...Oh wait

Consoles want to be more like PC's. It's already happening. Game installs anyone? Updates and patches all over the place. Web browsing, looking at your photos and videos, the list goes on. Come on now.

And yes a console already did that for me. The N64 did that for me. And I bought excite bike and star wars that took advantage of it.

We were talking specifically from a gaming standpoint and upgradability. If you want to change the debate into PC functionality then that is a separate issue. Game installation, updates, patches, web browsing, photos, videos, etc. are all just part of the technological era we are in. Hell my phone does all of that. All of those are completely different than changing the entire market behind console gaming. You are not going to be adding ram, upgrading cpu/gpu in the console market. If you want to do that, then you need to buy/build a PC/Steam machine. Consoles want to be more like PC's in functionality and architecture, not in hardware/upgradability.

There were no issues with Burnout. Dev lead on PS3.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Except only the hardcore gamers will ever read the shit that's streaming out of penello's mouth. The casuals will never know what some suit said about some console that one time.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah It's not like the last time there were clear differences between the quality of games on the PS3 or 360 that it was represented in sales...Oh wait

I think they are banking on the big games, such as COD, sports titles, to carry over their system loyalty to this gen. Do we have any numbers on COD and the online community for PS4 vs Xbox One yet?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That doesn't jibe with his earlier quote which was

"Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?"

Seems like he is alluding to something other than
casuals leik TV and xbox is da coolest brand yo

Or am I connecting the wrong dots here and back then he was just talking shit and now he is talking about about how casuals purchase devices?

They said lots of stupid things, yes, but from memory I don't remember them making up excuses for cross-platform games that performed worst on the PS3.

Oh, ok, I see. Yeah, re: performance issues I remember Phil Harrison answered something to the tune of "ask the developer" when questioned about some EA games running at 30fps on PS3 vs 60fps on 360. So yeah, you're right.

Edit: here it is.

http://www.1up.com/news/1up-interviews-phil-harrison

Madden on PS3 Only 30 FPS
"[pause] Well, I can only point to our own sports studio [doing a] 1080p, 60 frames-per-second basketball game, but I'm afraid I have no idea. We're providing some tools and technologies from our worldwide studio's core technology groups to 3rd parties now, as well. You may remember something from GDC, we announced this thing called EDGE and that's now widely deployed within the 3rd party community, and that is clearly improving the developer's ability to maximize what the CELL processor does. Hopefully, that will assist folks like EA. It would concern me if the platform was incapable of doing it, but we've proven the platform is capable of doing it, so it's not a PlayStation 3 issue. I'm trying to be polite."

"I'm trying to be polite" though, haha. Ahh Phil, I kind of miss you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom