• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I don't know this for sure but it may also be possible to repel the alien with weapons, or perhaps only in certain situations, not sure. Details are fuzzy on that one. I know the flamethrower can definitely save you from it.

I never thought about it: if we shoot the Alien what happens?

MattyG

Banned
Just finished watching Alien (Director's Cut) for the second time. I first watched it a year or two ago (I was either 16 or 17 at the time, can't remember). Didn't really get it, I got kind of lost with some of the finer plot details and thought it didn't live up to the praise it always gets. But now that I watched it again, WOW, I really loved it. And comparing it to the footage we have of Isolation, it looks like CA has really nailed the tone and aesthetic.

Jobbs

Banned
I never thinked about it: if we shoot the Alien what happens?

I saw a video where the person got lunged at by the alien, and he blasted it with the flamethrower and it sorta backed off.

I wouldn't think it's possible to kill the alien during the course of the main portion of the game, but it appears the flamethrower can deter it in some way and maybe damage from other things can potentially scare it off or something temporarily.

but, yeah, again, it's not a shooting game -- it's a horror game with limited combat. Which I like.

Looks like an Outlast clone....

I disagree.. Outlast got boring very quickly because they had a tiny arsenal of things to do to you, since the game lacked any combat options whatosever. Alien Isolation has combat options and you can actually kill humans/synthetic enemies, either directly or by luring the alien to them. Just for those reasons the game is already a million times more interesting than Outlast.

Now go do Alien3 Directors Cut and fall in love with the visuals and tone. It's a glorious movie that deserves better.

I personally hate Alien 3 for like a zillion reasons... Not the least of which is the horribly stupid looking 90s CG they put in, making the movie visually vastly inferior to Alien or Aliens.

Google

Just finished watching Alien (Director's Cut) for the second time. I first watched it a year or two ago (I was either 16 or 17 at the time, can't remember). Didn't really get it, I got kind of lost with some of the finer plot details and thought it didn't live up to the praise it always gets. But now that I watched it again, WOW, I really loved it. And comparing it to the footage we have of Isolation, it looks like CA has really nailed the tone and aesthetic.

Now go do Alien3 Directors Cut and fall in love with the visuals and tone. It's a glorious movie that deserves better.

I saw a video where the person got lunged at by the alien, and he blasted it with the flamethrower and it sorta backed off.

I wouldn't think it's possible to kill the alien during the course of the main portion of the game, but it appears the flamethrower can deter it in some way and maybe damage from other things can potentially scare it off or something temporarily.

but, yeah, again, it's not a shooting game -- it's a horror game with limited combat. Which I like.

I disagree.. Outlast got boring very quickly because they had a tiny arsenal of things to do to you, since the game lacked any combat options whatosever. Alien Isolation has combat options and you can actually kill humans/synthetic enemies, either directly or by luring the alien to them. Just for those reasons the game is already a million times more interesting than Outlast.

I personally hate Alien 3 for like a zillion reasons... Not the least of which is the horribly stupid looking 90s CG they put in, making the movie visually vastly inferior to Alien or Aliens.
Don't get me wrong, I want this game to be good. It was just my first impression.

Google

Mate, the first hour of Alien3 is fucking glorious. The themes, the visuals, the score, the questions.

IT'S SO GOOD.

Ignore the bad CG and enjoy everything it did right.

ezekial45

Banned
Oh my God, the dialog from hostile Androids is amazing.

"Let Me Help You!"
"Settle Down"

*Chokes player* "You're becoming hysterical."

hlhbk

Two things about the Alien not showing up right away:

1. Has anyone here ever played Aliens vs Predator 2 on PC???? In the marine campaign you don't even see an Alien until halfway through the 2nd level (it comes out of a vent). Up until that point it was using the environment and motion tracker to build the tension.

2. Did you forget that in Alien the Alien doesn't even make an appearance until an hour in?????

Anyone watching Alien in preparation for Tuesday this weekend???

Yeah, I was just thinking if the firearms could be used to back off the Alien just like the flamethrower.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That this game provides weapons for a fighting chance is very survival horror. That the supplies show up rarely reminds me of how Haunting Ground is. You could create weapons on there but they rarely worked and it wasn't smart to make Hewie (the dog) do all the fighting either. Majority of the game is spent trying to progress forward safely.

Wow, I never thought another game like this would ever come around again. I'm sold! Time to save money for this.

Jobbs

Banned
they seem to have made synthetic people very powerful in the game, almost like terminators. the streamer shot one several times in the head with the handgun and it didn't flinch.

Mate, the first hour of Alien3 is fucking glorious. The themes, the visuals, the score, the questions.

IT'S SO GOOD.

Ignore the bad CG and enjoy everything it did right.

It's not even CG. The alien was a puppet. The problem is that the lighting on the puppet was totally different than the lighting for the shot the put it in. That and they linger on the puppet too much.

Really it's a compositing error mixed with some poor decisions on how much to show.

komplanen

they seem to have made synthetic people very powerful in the game, almost like terminators. the streamer shot one several times in the head with the handgun and it didn't flinch.

But they were also very slow (only capable of walking) and clearly not impossible to loose.

Google

It's not even CG. The alien was a puppet. The problem is that the lighting on the puppet was totally different than the lighting for the shot the put it in. That and they linger on the puppet too much.

Really it's a compositing error mixed with some poor decisions on how much to show.

Who fucking cares. There's so much other, positive stuff in that film that one should be able to overlook some bad decisions.

ezekial45

Banned

They've always been pretty resilient, though. In the first movie it took two people to kill one of them, and that was after several blows to the head, decapitation, a cattle-prod to the back, and a shot with the flamethrower.

Kaversmed

Have you not seen Alien?

In Alien,
Ash the synthetic, has his head almost ripped off and he still manages to hold on to Ripley

edit: beaten

Who fucking cares. There's so much other, positive stuff in that film that one should be able to overlook some bad decisions.

I'd rather people get the complaints right if they're going to complain at all.

But the first half of Alien 3 is fantastic.

Jobbs

Banned
Have you not seen Alien?

In Alien,
Ash the synthetic, has his head almost ripped off and he still manages to hold on to Ripley

edit: beaten

oh yeah, I know that they're tough, but I didn't know they'd be so resistant to gunfire.

Jobbs

Banned

Oh please. There are HORRIBLY cheesy 90s CG shots of the alien when it's full body running around. I do believe they mixed in a puppet for closeups, but there's definitely some terrible CG in there.

And this is just one reason I don't like the movie. There are others, but I don't want to make the thread about dissecting Alien 3.

Top Bottom