• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I am enjoying this game very much so far. I must say that I miss an actual instruction manual in the actual game-case though.

I prefer reading through things on paper than reading them off-screen but hey whatcha gonna do.

At first I found it very unclear what the scrap was for and I am not entirely sure that I do know it now. Is there anyone that can explain this to me.

I just passed the point where ( like the pictures show above) that one android is laying around. I guess I still have a long way to go?
You still have MOST OF THE GAME to go. You're barely even getting started. :p

The scrap is used when you craft items. Hold circle and highlight an item like the medkit. Hitting L1 will bring up the crafting screen. You need a mix of materials and then scrap to actually make an item.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
This game with co-op would make it a lot more bearable.

I would buy yogi the bear and barney the dinosaur bodyguard dlc.

Co-op would be really interesting for a game like this. I would like it to work kind of like that multi castlevania. Each player starts in different sections and have to help each other gain access to systems in order to escape the Alien and various other hazards. It could be very cool. Especially if your voice communication between each other alerted the Alien.

Just finished it on hard with no humans kill. It was a little too easy imo, but very good regardless. So many good moments. This game has been a very pleasant surprise.
75% to platinum. It will be mine.

Ending spoilers
The lead up to the end was almost overly climatic honesty. Mutiple Aliens, facehuggers, trains of death etc. but the space walk and shit bricks door scare were better IMO then a final boss fight with the Alien could have been. I hope we get a sequel.

ViviOggi

At this point we might as well have a collection of links to our solutions to the shitty ch3 encounter in the OP lol

Here's mine from earlier
First of all do not run back and save once they're searching for you like I did, makes the part unsolvable on hard as far as I'm concerned. If you've done that load up the previous save and continue from there.
Once you've triggered the woman's retreat by approaching her you'll have all the time in the world to scout the area if you want as the looters will only come looking for you after you've picked up the hacking device. When you're ready get the device, you'll hear her alarming her companions, immediately turn to the left and run up the stairs. Follow the pathway crouched, turn left at the wall and dispatch of the guy standing in the way with your wrench. From there you can just run down the stairwell, they won't follow you that far.

Terrible part all around.

Moff

Yeah, they're amazing. Whoever wrote their dialog should get a bonus. The shit they say is incredibly bizarre, and very intimidating. These are my favorite lines.

"I think you and I are going to have a problem!"

"You're being hysterical."

"Let me help you!"

"Ask me out about my safety protocols."

"Please come out of the vent!"

"Running can lead to accidents" when you run away because they are trying to kill you
LOL

I really love those guys, everything they say is hilarious.

I also think their AI is great for a stealth game. I really love they chose to use a poor androd compared to the highly advanced versions from the movies and other games.

Nome

Co-op would be really interesting for a game like this. I would like it to work kind of like that multi castlevania. Each player starts in different sections and have to help each other gain access to systems in order to escape the Alien and various other hazards. It could be very cool. Especially if your voice communication between each other alerted the Alien.
WOW this game would be amazing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
At this point we might as well have a collection of links to our solutions to the shitty ch3 encounter in the OP lol

Here's mine from earlier

I retreated and saved when I did it and, yeah, bad idea. I had to reload the previous save.

Thriller

You still have MOST OF THE GAME to go. You're barely even getting started. :p

The scrap is used when you craft items. Hold circle and highlight an item like the medkit. Hitting L1 will bring up the crafting screen. You need a mix of materials and then scrap to actually make an item.

Thank you very much. I figured as much and I have been crafting all kinds of cool stuff But I kept hitting the max for scrap, therefore I thought I wasnt using it at all.

another question. There are a lot of doors and hatches that I can not open yet. When will I get a blowtorch or something so that I can open these things? Or have I already missed it?

Pinktaco

Haha, yup. I ended
up clobbering everyone to death :p

For whatever reason they trapped me in a vent. After several minutes of them not going away I was like "fuck it it'll do it" so I ran through the bullet rain an smashed both their faces with the wrench. Amazed that I was still alive (hard mode) I was taken off guard when two more came running, so I disposed of those as well.

Suddenly I felt like Lara Croft lol ._.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you very much. I figured as much and I have been crafting all kinds of cool stuff But I kept hitting the max for scrap, therefore I thought I wasnt using it at all.

another question. There are a lot of doors and hatches that I can not open yet. When will I get a blowtorch or something so that I can open these things? Or have I already missed it?

You'll get them as the game progresses, don't worry.

Really loving the android design

ivGyRLca9OPfk.png

The texture work on their fake skin is incredible

cross post from the high rez thread

iJK6fAd0FfOVL.png

ib0eVZOtPOFc8I.png

-Deimos

FUCK! Finally had to use the flamethrower against the alien.

I collected a bunch of supplies and headed towards a save station when it finally decided to get out of the vents and stretch its legs. Unfortunately for me there was also a synthetic roaming the area so I had to maneuver around them both, but the alien eventually went back into the vents for a little while. I got a little closer to the save station when it popped back out forcing me to hide and the synthetic decided to investigate.

The alien went back into the vents but the synthetic just stood there blocking my only path forward. After a while I realized he wasn't going to move so I had to backtrack to another path and right when I got to the station, the fucker popped out of a vent right above me and cornered me into a tiny room. There was nowhere to hide so I had to blast him and hope it actually worked.

This fucking game.

ezekial45

Banned
Wait, so there's no Alien/Android infighting?

Nope. Android's aren't living creatures (no pheromones, etc) and the Alien will largely ignore them and see them as machinery. Though it IS possible for the Alien to attack the androids, not sure what circumstance though. But even then, it's only if the Android attacks first.

Wait, so there's no Alien/Android infighting?

No I swear they work together. One time I running from an android and led it back to a random human so she could be released from life. As she was being blessed I retreated into another room and Alien jumped down. So I ran back towards the android and he grabbed me. He pulled his fist back for the punch, and then just lets go, mouth agap eyes looking behind me. The Alien impales me and the android watches me die content with his victory. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So I'm still very early in the game, just got the flashlight, but I have to jump off for the night.

But I just wanted to say holy shit the atmosphere to this game is intense. I
still haven't even seen the Alien yet
and its already scared me a couple times just due to the great soundwork. Also graphics are pretty great as well. There's a lot of attention to detail to make it feel like the films.

ezekial45

Banned
BTW, is the PS4 version running weird for anyone else? During cutscenes there is noticeable lag and framerate issues that occur. Also, sometimes chunks of the environment will disappear and have nothing but empty space.

BTW, is the PS4 version running weird for anyone else? During cutscenes there is noticeable lag and framerate issues that occur. Also, sometimes chunks of the environment will disappear and have nothing but empty space.

Yeah noticed the same thing with cutscenes, there's a major framerate issue going on and it really makes no sense to me. The game itself looks pretty good but nothing that would have such a stuttering framerate.

Have the devs come out an spoken why this issue exists?

Yeah cutscenes are poor in general; fps issues and the worst lip syncing I've seen recently. I've had loading issues once or twice but they haven't been noticeably frequent, everything would jutter when saving, and I had 2-3 crashes.

Moff

whenever you hear something rumbling above you and/or you see something moving fast as hell on the motion tracker but not in front of you that means ist the Alien, right?

I played around with it last night in one of the first sections and I gotta say, the random Alien AI teamed up with the very predictable android patrols makes for a very good mix.

as I expected, I usually love controversial games the most and this game is really my thing. very well done.

forms

The video I have seen makes me eager to buy this. Getting flashbacks to watching the movie as a kid, not being able to sleep for days.

So whats the general consensus for this game? Good?

Im still at the beginning but so far I for sure recommend it to anyone looking for an extremely atmospheric survival horror experience. Game is intense but like I said I'm early so others will have better full game impressions than me.

derFeef

I found out that one way to ease the tension is to test out the limits with a "just fuck it" run.
Running, making noise, testing limits of the AI - it makes the game a little bit more bearable for those being too anxious the whole time (like me).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 13... fuck this game. Holy shit.

The reactor... some of the visuals in this game are out of control.

I knew he'd be back, obviously, but I was having such a lovely time without him. :(

Also, the bolt gun is awesome.

So whats the general consensus for this game? Good?

GOTY hands down

-Deimos

I found out that one way to ease the tension is to test out the limits with a "just fuck it" run.
Running, making noise, testing limits of the AI - it makes the game a little bit more bearable for those being too anxious the whole time (like me).

I do this almost every time I save now. Lure the alien out and blast it with whatever I've got. Very therapeutic.

valkyre

So, Hard or Normal people? Can you enjoy it on hard, or is it going to be full of cheap deaths and requires an unfair amount of luck?

Top Bottom