• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

sono

The planet rings look good..

I have the same concerns as others in this thread with the casting and rest of it. I will see it a the cinema in any event.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Watched every Alien, Predator, and Terminator released in theatres and will continue to do so :messenger_sunglasses:
Oh No Pain GIF

Audiophile

Everything looks great other than the cast. They don't fit tonally at all, they look to young, too pretty and lack any stature or presence.

Legitimately taken it from "I'll go to the theatre" to "I'll maybe catch it if the blu-ray is on offer"..

Do they not have capable casting directors anymore?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They were truly something special. I used to buy them in Trocadero london, when Alien war was there..

That was something else. You'd go in, come out with a few girls still clinging onto you :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The 90's were awsome.

Alien war was legit the best thing that I experienced haunted house style amazing amazing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is so bad that the audience will be rooting for the Aliens to kill all those kids in the first 15 minutes of the movie.
What if this is a masterful misdirection? All these punks get offed by act 2 and act 3 is a Colonial Marine ship, under the command of Major Hicks, father of Corporal Hicks, still played by Michael Biehn, showing up and they gotta clear the station of all the xenos?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, just imagine the EXPLOSION in the theater if that happened.....

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What if this is a masterful misdirection? All these punks get offed by act 2 and act 3 is a Colonial Marine ship, under the command of Major Hicks, father of Corporal Hicks, still played by Michael Biehn, showing up and they gotta clear the station of all the xenos?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, just imagine the EXPLOSION in the theater if that happened.....
I would be all in on that.

clarky

Gold Member

Make it act one and im down for that also.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This smacks of the same shit when the first Trailer for Prey released and everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon and look how that turned out, this has all the ingredients to be a great fucking Alien movie like Prey was a great Predator movie, y'all should be happy we're getting decent genre flicks instead of the same old same old regurgitated shite

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This smacks of the same shit when the first Trailer for Prey released and everyone jumped on the hate bandwagon and look how that turned out, this has all the ingredients to be a great fucking Alien movie like Prey was a great Predator movie, y'all should be happy we're getting decent genre flicks instead of the same old same old regurgitated shite
This looks like Alien with a young crew. Not sure how it's not "regurgitated shite".

Doom85

Wasn't that still a pretty decent ...even good movie in the end?

Maybe they got it and Covenant confused with each other.

This looks like Alien with a young crew. Not sure how it's not "regurgitated shite".

The problem is plenty are just demanding it be something else that could easily be labeled “regurgitated shite”.

Like, the few posts above wanting the cast to be a bunch of action-capable dudes fighting Xenomorphs. So they just want Aliens again. Like, nobody makes sense if they’re complaining about a new entry being too familiar.….and then proceeds to say it would be better if it was something else that also would be too familiar.

Also, in this movie, they’re scavengers/colonists, the ship they get access to is not theirs to my knowledge. So they’re not the crew of the ship.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Maybe they got it and Covenant confused with each other.

The problem is plenty are just demanding it be something else that could easily be labeled “regurgitated shite”.

Like, the few posts above wanting the cast to be a bunch of action-capable dudes fighting Xenomorphs. So they just want Aliens again. Like, nobody makes sense if they’re complaining about a new entry being too familiar.….and then proceeds to say it would be better if it was something else that also would be too familiar.

Also, in this movie, they’re scavengers/colonists, the ship they get access to is not theirs to my knowledge. So they’re not the crew of the ship.
I didn't say I wanted a bunch of jacked space Marines either but this just looks like Alien with a young cast. Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and has been for ages.

Toots

Gold Member
I’m not watching Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre going, “man, this would be scary, but there’s no 40 year old or 70 year old being terrorized, so I can’t get scared by this.”
In Halloween, teenagers are stalked and killed on the one night of the year children and young adults go out. One girl who is working as a babysitter is stalked but survives. It's normal young adults and teenagers play the role of young adults and teenagers.
In TCM young college students (i don't think they are graduate yet) with heads full of dreams and illusions, go spend the holidays in a backwood town without understanding the cultural differences between Dumbfuck Mississippi and their Berkeley dorm.

In both cases the innocence of the protagonists are part of the story and how it will be told. You have to have teenagers to tell that story.

Close your eyes and imagine someone working on an oil rig? Now imagine that oil rig is in space.
As some else pointed out, actors in Alien looked like engineers, mechanics, etc. here you seem to have teenager doing space trucker work essentially. It's hard to believe any of those dudes doing any of the hard work related to their job. Yet if those guys are truly this universe space transporters, i want to see how the lot lizards from Saturn look !
Congrats they made a slasher movie with the xenomorph.
Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF
Exactly, total tonal schizophrenia

Last edited:

Doom85

Close your eyes and imagine someone working on an oil rig? Now imagine that oil rig is in space.
As some else pointed out, actors in Alien looked like engineers, mechanics, etc. here you seem to have teenager doing space trucker work essentially. It's hard to believe any of those dudes doing any of the hard work related to their job. Yet if those guys are truly this universe space transporters, i want to see how the lot lizards from Saturn look !

And this is why checking info first can help. These new characters AREN’T engineers, mechanics, space truckers, etc. They are colonists who are also scavengers. You don’t need a PHD to be either of those things last time I checked.

Regardless, as I also said earlier, I’m not so close-minded that I can’t look at a young person and believe they could do any of the jobs you mentioned. Now, they definitely won’t do it the best, hell they may not even do it that well, but I‘m calling bullshit to anyone to the idea that these characters can’t do any of that to any degree. Where was such lack of suspension of disbelief when Firefly aired, and Kaylee (whose actress was 20 at the time, so let’s assume the character was around that age) was not just a mechanic, but an incredible one at that?

Hell, most people, even though I personally think it was fucking stupid, seemed to accept that 9 year old Anakin Skywalker was so skilled he could build his own pod racer, fly it better than any other adult in the region, and also build a droid capable of knowing thousands of languages in his spare time. If people can swallow that fucking insanity, it shouldn’t be that hard to accept one of these guys who are over twice that kid’s age can fix a machine or two.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And this is why checking info first can help. These new characters AREN’T engineers, mechanics, space truckers, etc. They are colonists who are also scavengers. You don’t need a PHD to be either of those things last time I checked.

Regardless, as I also said earlier, I’m not so close-minded that I can’t look at a young person and believe they could do any of the jobs you mentioned. Now, they definitely won’t do it the best, hell they may not even do it that well, but I‘m calling bullshit to anyone to the idea that these characters can’t do any of that to any degree. Where was such lack of suspension of disbelief when Firefly aired, and Kaylee (whose actress was 20 at the time, so let’s assume the character was around that age) was not just a mechanic, but an incredible one at that?

Hell, most people, even though I personally think it was fucking stupid, seemed to accept that 9 year old Anakin Skywalker was so skilled he could build his own pod racer, fly it better than any other adult in the region, and also build a droid capable of knowing thousands of languages in his spare time. If people can swallow that fucking insanity, it shouldn’t be that hard to accept one of these guys who are over twice that kid’s age can fix a machine or two.
Come now, Anakin being so young was a HUGE issue with TPM at the time (more regarding the acting and the odd relationship with Amadalia but still) and Kaylee was backstopping by several older, more "grizzled" actors, had the ship been crewed ONLY by 20 somethings then she would have been critiqued like with this film.

It's not really about their actual ages, hell, and entire infantry platoon may have maybe 1-2 people out of 50 over the age of 25. But fir a film, it'd about how age reflects experience. Guess we'll see how this one shakes out.

Toots

Gold Member

I think colonist (maybe) and scavenger (for sure) are harder jobs than space trucker. You don't need a phd to be a trucker but you need a certain physical condition. But of course there could be more than meet the eyes (but let's not kid ourselves it would mean real writing work and we know it's not the hollywood way anymore).

But you might be right, and even if i find it hard to believe any of those actors could do any work associated with long periods of loneliness far from home, without access to much comfort, they could be "specialized" scavengers (wrap your head around this one :messenger_grinning_sweat:) that only deal in hair care products or something like that...

About Anakin, he's supposed to be jedi jesus (even tho he was just jedi joseph), in a world were it is already established people can do magic tricks (even borderline miracles) tapping into some primordial force. Anakin isn't just tapping into it, he diverted the whole flow towards himself unconsciously so he can do extraordinary feats. It build the charater more than anyhting imo.

I think Scott went to the studios and was told we give you one last alien movie but we need that sweet young adult demo so stop using older looking dudes (i mean we went from Kenny fucking Powers to those guys in a span of one movie) and do something that will please young audiences. Asking a 70 billions yo english dude to do something for the frfr skibidi toilets teens is a bit cap don't you think ?

Last edited:

Doom85

About Anakin, he's supposed to be jedi jesus (even tho he was just jedi joseph), in a world were it is already established people can do magic tricks (even borderline miracles) tapping into some primordial force. Anakin isn't just tapping into it, he diverted the whole flow towards himself unconsciously so he can do extraordinary feats. It build the charater more than anyhting imo.

Last time I checked The Force doesn’t do shit for one’s skills at engineering and such…..

Toots

Gold Member
Last time I checked The Force doesn’t do shit for one’s skills at engineering and such…..
From what i remember Force makes him understand instinctively stuff (high level engineering, how to pilot a pod/ a naboo fighter). It gives him superhuman reflexes and that is why he is the only human ever to compete in pod racing.

But you know that is not my point. My point is in the context of the movie, it doesn't seem too extravagant to have Anakin do clearly extravagant stuff. Why ? Because the story had time to tell us the rules of its universe and what we see anakin do doesn't break those rules.

You could tell me maybe their teenager look will be explained and make total sense. You'd be right, be i'd argue nothing we saw in the alien universe in previous movies has prepared us to this. There's no hint at no point in any previous alien movie that a bunch of teenager could do what we usually see marines, or at least very rugged individual do.

Last edited:

Doom85

From what i remember Force makes him understand instinctively stuff (high level engineering, how to pilot a pod/ a naboo fighter). It gives him superhuman reflexes and that is why he is the only human ever to compete in pod racing.

But you know that is not my point. My point is in the context of the movie, it doesn't seem too extravagant to have Anakin do clearly extravagant stuff. Why ? Because the story had time to tell us the rules of its universe and what we see anakin do doesn't break those rules.

At least up to the OT and Episode 1, no, there was never any indication The Force could make one instinctively understand things like that. Lord knows the people who nitpicked Rey’s abilities to death thought so and she was over twice his age. At most, The Force might provide you information about something happening (such as Luke seeing his friends in danger while he was on Dagobah) but not a crash course in advanced engineering and programming.

Also, yeah, the Naboo Fighter, why was that cockpit* designed to fit a 9 year old? Maybe there was a little person among the Naboo pilots who got killed before reaching their ship, but we never saw them, so yet another confusing element.

6W91DqB.gif

*edit: oh yeah, and the helmet fits him too. Hey, just because a war is going on doesn‘t mean the Naboo Squadron still can’t have Take Your Kid to Work Day!

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
At least up to the OT and Episode 1, no, there was never any indication The Force could make one instinctively understand things like that. Lord knows the people who nitpicked Rey’s abilities to death thought so and she was over twice his age. At most, The Force might provide you information about something happening (such as Luke seeing his friends in danger while he was on Dagobah) but not a crash course in advanced engineering and programming.

Also, yeah, the Naboo Fighter, why was that cockpit* designed to fit a 9 year old? Maybe there was a little person among the Naboo pilots who got killed before reaching their ship, but we never saw them, so yet another confusing element.

6W91DqB.gif

*edit: oh yeah, and the helmet fits him too. Hey, just because a war is going on doesn‘t mean the Naboo Squadron still can’t have Take Your Kid to Work Day!
Careful you are starting to sound like the nerds telling you about the size of yodas dick to prove they know more than the rest.
Once again you know what my point was, or else you wouldn't have omitted the second part of my message where i was telling you what my point which you did not address because you couldn't nitpick what's essentialy true.

You can squirm all day talking about finer details, or look for one second at the big picture and see how silly your stance looks.

My point is in the context of the movie, it doesn't seem too extravagant to have Anakin do clearly extravagant stuff. Why ? Because the story had time to tell us the rules of its universe and what we see anakin do doesn't break those rules.

Ps : i used extravagant twice knowingly to show you that with "good" writing (we're talking about star wars not Les Misérables) something extravagant could happen without breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Also don't take thing too much at heart, and remember 2 gifs per post is the utmost limit, post 3 gifs in one post and everyone will know you're seething with rage :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You show me a pic of the kid reaching the controls just fine, and an helmet that looks only slightly loose at best, and you think this disproves my point?
I can't believe I gotta fight this for TPM of all films, but here is an example of what an ADULT looks like in the gear/cockpit.

mFVsGIM.jpeg

See where the goggles are, where his head is, if that doesn't convince you that the naboo fighter, while being tight and cramped, is NOT sized for a 9 yo human, then you just die on that hill.

Doom85

Careful you are starting to sound like the nerds telling you about the size of yodas dick to prove they know more than the rest.
Once again you know what my point was, or else you wouldn't have omitted the second part of my message where i was telling you what my point which you did not address because you couldn't nitpick what's essentialy true.

You can squirm all day talking about finer details, or look for one second at the big picture and see how silly your stance looks.

My point is in the context of the movie, it doesn't seem too extravagant to have Anakin do clearly extravagant stuff. Why ? Because the story had time to tell us the rules of its universe and what we see anakin do doesn't break those rules.

Ps : i used extravagant twice knowingly to show you that with "good" writing (we're talking about star wars not Les Misérables) something extravagant could happen without breaking the suspension of disbelief.

Also don't take thing too much at heart, and remember 2 gifs per post is the utmost limit, post 3 gifs in one post and everyone will know you're seething with rage :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I disproved your context argument though. Show me where in a Star Wars film released in 1999 or prior they provided context that explains how Anakin could be so good at engineering and droid programming. You can’t claim it didn’t break the rules when you failed to show exactly where said rule was established.

I can't believe I gotta fight this for TPM of all films, but here is an example of what an ADULT looks like in the gear/cockpit.

mFVsGIM.jpeg

See where the goggles are, where his head is, if that doesn't convince you that the naboo fighter, while being tight and cramped, is NOT sized for a 9 yo human, then you just die on that hill.

Calm down, little buddy. Okay, so the Naboo fighters are stupidly designed to give their adult pilots of average height barely any room, also if they would need to eject while still within the planet’s atmosphere, I hope they enjoy likely severely hurting a leg or two given the position of everything. Got it. Guess Lucas knew Anakin piloting it would be stupid so he traded one stupid element for another, all so we could ”enjoy” watching the entire war be solved because a kid flew around randomly, luckily found himself in the perfect spot, and unintentionally defeated the entirety of the enemy forces by pressing buttons at random thus destroying the mothership which also controlled the battle droids because…..“reasons”.

So yeah, you really showed me up. I now see The Phantom Menace isn’t as badly thought up as I thought, expect you showed me equivalent exchange applies here and the film is actually just as moronic just for a different reason.

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Calm down, little buddy. Okay, so the Naboo fighters are stupidly designed to give their adult pilots of average height barely any room, also if they would need to eject while still within the planet’s atmosphere, I hope they enjoy likely severely hurting a leg or two given the position of everything. Got it. Guess Lucas knew Anakin piloting it would be stupid so he traded one stupid element for another, all so we could ”enjoy” watching the entire war be solved because a kid flew around randomly, luckily found himself in the perfect spot, and unintentionally defeated the entirety of the enemy forces by pressing buttons at random thus destroying the mothership which also controlled the battle droids because…..“reasons”.

So yeah, you really showed me up. I now see The Phantom Menace isn’t as badly thought up as I thought, expect you showed me equivalent exchange applies here and the film is actually just as moronic just for a different reason.
e6vqUCa.jpeg

Now that you have gotten me going, the Naboo fighter is CLEARLY inspired by actual WW2 fighter planes. And yes, the cockpits were cramped and yes, easy ejection, if that is even a thing in Star Wars, was also an issue with these planes.
MZODrJH.jpeg

9m1RqkK.jpeg
oBh8DkK.jpeg

Doom85

e6vqUCa.jpeg

Now that you have gotten me going, the Naboo fighter is CLEARLY inspired by actual WW2 fighter planes. And yes, the cockpits were cramped and yes, easy ejection, if that is even a thing in Star Wars, was also an issue with these planes.
MZODrJH.jpeg

9m1RqkK.jpeg
oBh8DkK.jpeg

So let me get this straight: despite having starfighters being used and improved upon for millennia, the people who designed the Naboo starfighters couldn’t do any better design-wise than WW2 fighter planes?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock
Canadian Lol GIF

Yo, keep this shit coming, this is truly the gift that keeps on giving!

Sarcastic Dungeons And Dragons GIF by Encounter Party

jason10mm

Gold Member
So let me get this straight: despite having starfighters being used and improved upon for millennia, the people who designed the Naboo starfighters couldn’t do any better design-wise than WW2 fighter planes?

Canadian Lol GIF

You....do know that Star Wars isn't a historical documentary....right?

Virtually everything in the older films is lifted, inspired by, or a straight copy of real stuff. Lucas used WW2 fight plane footage as reference for the starfighter scenes. They swoop and bank "in space" and make noises, none of which is possible in an actual vacuum. So design elements are also lifted from these same sources, including the bubble canopy.

I kinda feel like this meme...
DYGdOiF.jpeg

Doom85

You....do know that Star Wars isn't a historical documentary....right?

Virtually everything in the older films is lifted, inspired by, or a straight copy of real stuff. Lucas used WW2 fight plane footage as reference for the starfighter scenes. They swoop and bank "in space" and make noises, none of which is possible in an actual vacuum. So design elements are also lifted from these same sources, including the bubble canopy.

You…..do know movies still need to have some sort of internal logic barring those that are meant to be a complete mindfuck……right?

I don’t give a shit what Lucas was inspired by, it has to make sense in-universe. Why would the Naboo starfighters be so poorly designed in a universe that has had millennia to improve upon general starship design and efficiency? Complaining about their maneuvering capabilities in space is a false equivalency as, again, they’ve been working on this tech for millennia and could have figured out how to overcome certain issues of space travel such as that. In fact, that only strengthens my point, they‘ve improved starship tech to the point of being capable of such incredible feats, yet are also simultaneously too stupid to make a better designed cockpit?

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
You…..do know movies still need to have some sort of internal logic barring those that are meant to be a complete mindfuck……right?

I don’t give a shit what Lucas was inspired by, it has to make sense in-universe. Why would the Naboo starfighters be so poorly designed in a universe that has had millennia to improve upon general starship design and efficiency? Complaining about their maneuvering capabilities in space is a false equivalency as, again, they’ve been working on this tech for millennia and could have figured out how to overcome certain issues of space travel such as that. In fact, that only strengthens my point, they‘ve improved starship tech to the point of being capable of such incredible feats, yet are also simultaneously too stupid to make a better designed cockpit?

Danger 5 Laughing GIF
What do you mean...poorly designed? Just ONE FIGHTER, in the hands of a CHILD, wiped out an entire Trade Federation Strike Force! That fighter is AWESOME!

But yes, you are right :p

Doom85

What do you mean...poorly designed? Just ONE FIGHTER, in the hands of a CHILD, wiped out an entire Trade Federation Strike Force! That fighter is AWESOME!

But yes, you are right :p

The Naboo Starship Chief Engineer had this weird notion that many Jawas and Ewoks would soon choose to immigrate to Naboo and he wanted to be proactive and have starships ready for these potential new recruits. All his fellow engineers laughed at and mocked him, but who’s laughing now?!

Chief Engineer:

Planet Of The Apes Laughing GIF
Season 2 The Secret Box GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Naboo Starship Chief Engineer had this weird notion that many Jawas and Ewoks would soon choose to immigrate to Naboo and he wanted to be proactive and have starships ready for these potential new recruits. All his fellow engineers laughed at and mocked him, but who’s laughing now?!

Chief Engineer:

Planet Of The Apes Laughing GIF
Season 2 The Secret Box GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
To be fair, Naboo never had a real chance to mobilize their secret fighter squadron pilots before Anakin saved the day for them...
m4noWh1.jpeg

mFVsGIM.jpeg

The Phantom Menace is great

The Phantom Menace GIF by Star Wars

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Canadian Lol GIF

Lucas had them design the N1 fighters after those old timey fighters ... To signify the passage of time. The X-Wings and TIE fighters were a marked improvement over the N1 fighters ...

That was the point of the design. Not that it made sense in their universe... But that it would remind the audience of how small those WW1 fighters were making the past of Star Wars feel like a past.

Doom85

Lucas had them design the N1 fighters after those old timey fighters ... To signify the passage of time. The X-Wings and TIE fighters were a marked improvement over the N1 fighters ...

That was the point of the design. Not that it made sense in their universe... But that it would remind the audience of how small those WW1 fighters were making the past of Star Wars feel like a past.

I know, we discussed it. I just would prefer the history of the progress of starships to make sense in-universe as opposed to relying on evoking emotions based on our own history. Like, Naboo fashion is based of particular fashions in our reality, and that works as it doesn’t come off as illogical in any way. Fashion revolves around what people find visually appealing, their culture, etc. so it can contrast other fashion in the galaxy and still make sense. But starfighters for your military should be designed to be as efficient as possible, so basing it off such early fighter planes that were far from as efficient as we would end up improving upon them over the decades in terms of design just doesn’t work for me.

Also, I never felt the OT starfighters were superior to PT starfighters, rather just excelled at different things. Like the X-wing is more well-rounded, while the TIE fighter sacrifices shields in favor of speed and such. It would be baffling for starship technology to make massive strides in less than two decades after millennia of already existing.

Toots

Gold Member
I disproved your context argument though. Show me where in a Star Wars film released in 1999 or prior they provided context that explains how Anakin could be so good at engineering and droid programming. You can’t claim it didn’t break the rules when you failed to show exactly where said rule was established.
Maybe try to read between posting gifs... My answer might not be to your liking, but in the context of sw it's enough for you to believe that anakin can do what he does.

It was fun to read your wild replies but now it's sad. You're taking loss after loss, you got your ass handed to you flawlessly at least twice by J jason10mm on the topic of naboo fighters, yet you don't seem to want to stop....

Last ditch effort:

grJmtfC.jpeg

Lets just hope you're not a todarian...

Top Bottom