• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy to think that Switch will do worse than Wii U if it doesn't run Android?

No, it's not free. I really hope you've been reading what people have been posting here. You would know by now that using Android is a poisoned apple. If they use a fork, they can't use the Playstore NOR Google's APIs that the majority of apps are built upon. Nor are they allowed to use any manufacturer who makes official Android handsets.

If they use Android, they have to use an OS that they have zero control over AND they have to use the Playstore AND they open themselves to piracy AND they have an OS that is in no ways optimized for gaming. Every app is a java app that runs in a virtual machine. That is great for keeping compatibility over a large swathe of devoces but terrible for running optimized games that need as much access to the metal as possible.

i sure have been reading them, and very few of them know how AOSP works!

i'm not suggesting nintendo use "android" (which almost all the posts in this thread are presupposing), nor am i suggesting they use AOSP for app compatibility. i'm suggesting they use it as a fast-track to developing a modern, competent OS of their own for ARM hardware, since they've demonstrated zero capability of doing so themselves.

this stuff is hard. if nintendo wants to go its own way, let's hope the price is low and the games are reeeal good, because things won't be pretty otherwise.

I seriously don't think the Switch will do worse than the Wii U if it doesn't run Android, OP. As others have said, it doesn't even need Android--plus it's probably a pretty bad idea.

You're lost OP and I love android. I'm typing this post on a Nvidia Shield. I've said before that the Switch has a similar design. Its great.

You can't put Android on a Nintendo console for so many reasons. Main ones accessibility to the OS and root access.

I'm willing to be OD and carry both in my bag, they arent that big. The Shield is an awesome android device and I will be getting two entirely different uses out of both machines. What machine has Pokemon and Smash? The 3DS and the Switch.

If it has Pokemon and Smash, I buy it. Lol.

Penguin

I don't care if it has android, already have my phone of that. All it needs is some of the most popular apps, like Netflix, YouTube, FB maybe, etc.

Yeah, I don't know if it specifically needs Android, but being portable it really does need a lot of everyday apps like movie streaming, book reader (would also be good for manuals), and the likes

i sure have been reading them, and very few of them know how AOSP works!

i'm not suggesting nintendo use "android" (which almost all the posts in this thread are presupposing), nor am i suggesting they use AOSP for app compatibility. i'm suggesting they use it as a fast-track to developing a modern, competent OS of their own for ARM hardware, since they've demonstrated zero capability of doing so themselves.

this stuff is hard. if nintendo wants to go its own way, let's hope the price is low and the games are reeeal good, because things won't be pretty otherwise.

Fasttrack to developing a modern competant OS? As we've all said: Android is a terrible operating system for a dedicated gaming console. There are too many high level APIs blocking the hardware's potential. There are better open source OSes to use like BSD (used by Sony).

Plus, ARM is nothing new for Nintendo, they've used ARM in the GBA, Wii (for standby and booting purposes), DS, 3DS and now Switch.

The easiest solution is to provide tools for developers to port their apps to the eshop.

I would think the ideal solution is to sandbox Android in it's own area so that you can run some Android apps, but at the same time run games natively. This will allow you to have easy access to a wide range of media services without each service creating a unique Switch version from scratch, an easy way to get a web browser on it, and an easy way to get Nintendo's own apps that they seem to be expanding on all without making native Switch versions. I don't think the Switch will do worse without it, but I think there are definitely upsides for them to be able to run curated Android apps in an isolated sandbox environment.

I would think the ideal solution is to sandbox Android in it's own area so that you can run some Android apps, but at the same time run games natively. This will allow you to have easy access to a wide range of media services without each service creating a unique Switch version from scratch, an easy way to get a web browser on it, and an easy way to get Nintendo's own apps that they seem to be expanding on all without making native Switch versions. I don't think the Switch will do worse without it, but I think there are definitely upsides for them to be able to run curated Android apps in an isolated sandbox environment.

But you CAN'T legally run Android in a sandbox on top of another OS unless Google has given its blessing.

An easy way to get a browser on the Switch would be for Nintendo to port the excellent browser it's been using in the WiiU and 3Ds. Voila.

Comandr

This scenario is sort of a catch 22.

If Nintendo allowed the Google Play Store on the Switch, it is effectively allowing you to purchase and play games that come from sources other than Nintendo, on a Nintendo device, while Nintendo gets, in theory, zero of that profit.

That's never, ever going to happen.

Furthermore, with the open nature of Android, it's susceptible to rampant piracy. Someone WILL find a way to crack any security Nintendo has, and then it's downhill from there.

I would argue that Nintendo would be better off going with iOS, but that leads to the same problem; unless they have a specific app store, and that only, which -- again, won't happen, they are opening the door for users to just make purchases through the App Store and play games that Nintendo has no rights to.

Furthermore, OP, you claimed to have a "honkin' 5.7in phone" but want to use a "much bigger" device for certain applications, like facebook and mobile banking. Then you mention in another post that the Switch is a 6in device. That doesn't seem like the "much bigger" you are looking for.

I don't think anyone really wants a specialized device that does a ton of different things, but can't go far from it's charger.

Nintendo's gonna Nintendo. They'll have their own OS, it might have a few apps like Netflix and YouTube for media or social functions, but that's it. And that's fine.

If you want a large screen tablet experience, pony up for a real tablet.

If you really want a 7" Android tablet with a couple of game controllers that can be attached on the sides, I'd give it 6 months before you can get exactly that from multiple Chinese suppliers for under $100.

You are few years late. They already have a bunch, including XJD and GPD and other vendors. There are threads about GPD devices in NeoGAF even.

Top Bottom