• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I in the forever friend zone?

LotusHD

Banned
You're right but "emotional crush" is too harsh.

Sounds like she enjoys being around OP but not in a sexual or romantic sense. It hurts but its time to move on.

If OP plays his cards right... she might end up running to him.

How does one "play their cards right" in this scenario lol

marzlapin

You asked her out and she said no. She's aware of your interest. Don't hang around her waiting for more, just decide if you want to hang out with her as friends with no expectation that your relationship will ever go further. Also don't do lovey couple stuff with her.

Beth Cyra

No bro. Save the hand holding and I love yous for your actual girlfriend.

Also your use of "we've been together 3 months" kind of unnerved me for some reason.
This was my reaction.

Granted I won't say it's impossible she will change her mind but don't act like her friend if all you are truly hoping for is romance, she deserves a better friend then someone who is just waiting for things to change.

Also if she turned you down using we've been together might not be the best choice, and certainly not something she would approve of so be careful on that one.

Chumley

Banned
I somehow missed the lovey couple stuff.

Everyone has their own experience I guess but me and my ex didn't start doing that until we were fucking for 2 or 3 months. So holding hands and saying I love you before you've even boned seems weird to me.

Mark L

This was my reaction.

Granted I won't say it's impossible she will change her mind but don't act like her friend if all you are truly hoping for is romance, she deserves a better friend then someone who is just waiting imfor things to change.

Also if she turned you down using we've been together might not be the best choice, and certainly not something she would approve of so be careful on that one.

Ugh good catch. I missed this. Dude you have not "been together".

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
If I find a woman attractive I usually gear the conversation to things that could be provocative and depending on her reaction I can tell if she's into me or not. How she reacts to physical contact and how comfortable she is with me. It's your job to set the tone, have interesting conversation and make her comfortable. Make your intentions clear from the start or you are ultimately being a coward which will always be unattractive and concealing your true intentions not only makes you a weak friend, but a weak candidate for a relationship/fling. Knowing when she's probably not attracted to you physically/if you have the personality chops to overcome and acting accordingly is a huge asset.

Plenty of fish in the sea, never put all your eggs in one basket unless you want to settle down with one in particular.

Biske

Friend zone is such a bullshit asshole term.

As if this person is some fucking game you can manipulate.

She's your friend, move on with your god damn life.

Seesaw15

She already turned me down saying that she doesn't want a relationship until she has her career going, but I'm still helping her and being really good friends.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

nel e nel

Does it sound like I'm forever friend zoned? We've been together for 3 months, and it's only getting stronger, it feels like. I like to dwell on the possibility that she wants to be with me when we get her career going, but I needed to see what others think.

You are not "together", you are friends. The sooner you stop thinking/talking about this in romantic relationship terms the better.

Chumley

Banned

It's another way of phrasing unrequited love, which is a real thing. I don't really think someone is automatically an asshole for having that emotion. You can't control who you love, but you can control how you move forward after that.

rtcn63

I don't think I've ever heard of a non-couple actively holding hands on a regular basis.

Honestly, it seems like that she realized she can use him for progressing her career and is maybe subconsciously stringing him along. He asked her out, she turned him down, and he's still around, saying things like "It's okay if you get a boyfriend I don't mind". If this is the case, it's as much his fault as it is hers (if not moreso), since he's letting himself be used in hopes of her using him... in those ways.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

No need for such hostility. I doubt OP is malicious.

WaterAstro

lol you guys

I'm not a selfish dude. You guys sound like you'd kill any friendship with a lady if you don't get pussy.

I'm going to help her out as much as I can regardless of the outcome.

The first zone isn't a thing, it just means they aren't interested in you as a romantic or sexual partner. Tell her how you feel and if it isn't reciprocated, then move on.

AndersK

Important thing: This is not a movie. If someone you're interested in WANTS to date you. She/He will find the time/motivation. They won't do the 'Well if only x, y and z wasn't happening, i'd totally date you'. Hormones are a thing. Everyone is horny and wants validation. Some esoteric desire to pursue a career or similar isn't going to stand in the way, man.

Mark L

It's another way of phrasing unrequited love, which is a real thing. I don't really think someone is automatically an asshole for having that emotion. You can't control who you love, but you can control how you move forward after that.

Nobody's hard on someone for feeling unrequited love, we've all been there. But friend zone has historically been bundled with feelings of entitlement on behalf of self proclaimed "nice guys", as if the girl owes something romantic to them for their friendship, and that is not cool.

nel e nel

lol you guys

I'm not a selfish dude. You guys sound like you'd kill any friendship with a lady if you don't get pussy.

"Moving on" doesn't mean cutting her out of your life, it means moving on mentally/emotionally.

lol you guys

I don't think thats what most are saying. If you are friends, thats wonderful but you are sounding like you want more...

"We've been together for 3 months, and it's only getting stronger, it feels like. I like to dwell on the possibility that she wants to be with me when we get her career going, but I needed to see what others think."

Unless you really know what you are doing with all this lovey dovey stuff, you're setting yourself up for heartache.

lol you guys

Which is cool, do that. But the problem is you're viewing your friendship with her through the lens of a romantic one by using terms like "we'e been together" and doing couple stuff. That's not constructive. You can just be friends, but not if you're not willing to frame the relationship that way.

lol you guys

That's fine, just don't do it because you think it's going to lead to a romantic relationship. Do it because you want to be a good friend. Be honest with yourself. If she started dating another guy would you be doing all of these nice things for her?

entremet

lol you guys

Well, you like her and have a romantic interest. Big difference.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Nobody's hard on someone for feeling unrequited love, we've all been there. But friend zone has historically been bundled with feelings of entitlement on behalf of self proclaimed "nice guys", as if the girl owes something romantic to them for their friendship, and that is not cool.

Youre attacking someone over semantics at this point. I also kind of disagree with your assessment of the term friend zone.

Beth Cyra

lol you guys

You're not an selfish dude for helping her or being around her or any negative stuff.

However you just got to realize the way you wrote your OP very much made it seem like you are truly hoping/expecting her to come around and that is a dangerous game to play when she really seems to value your friendship.

That and the together thing statement is awkward regardless of intent, if a girl asked me out and I said no and then saw her post that line? I wouldn't be okay with that shit at all.

rtcn63

lol you guys

In your head, she's almost your girlfriend. In hers, you're the guy she can talk about the great sex she had last night with Brad from Nova Scotia.

Chumley

Banned

I guess I'm out of touch because I didn't realize it was associated with that. Always seemed to me like when someone came to me with "friend zone" problems, they earnestly wanted to know if they were doing something wrong or had a chance at getting with a girl they liked, not "she owes me this!".

lol you guys

Moving on doesn't mean not being friends. Just communicate with her honestly and openly, if she doesn't feel the same way (it doesn't sound like she does i'm afraid), don't pursue her as a romantic partner. You will feel much better, and she will feel more comfortable being your friend and you won't be wasting anyone's time, especially not your own.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I understand that being in a loving, romantic relationship can be amazing but when did the value of friendship become worthless?

FZZ

Banned
OP use her for emotional support like she's using you

and then bone her best friend

works every time breh

The only chance you have is to find another girl that actually likes you, start going out with her, distance yourself from your friend but don't completely shut her out, and when she asks you how come ya'll haven't been hanging out as of late tell you've been dating this new girl....

Now this is a very small chance, but she MAY get jealous and realize she took you for granted and all this time she actually liked you more than a friend and wishes she was with you as your girlfriend, instead of this new girl. Upon which, you now have choices.

The more likely chance though is she was never into you like that. The reality of the friend zone is subconsciously she can't see herself having sex with you.

Negaduck

lol you guys

Not saying don't be friends. But hoping for something that won't come is rough brother. I know how hard that is to not want to just be a good friend and hope for romance.

Id say if you're going to stay her friend that's cool, dunno about the love yous or holding hands. But if you are looking for romance I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

But in the end who gives a shit as long as you are happy when all is said and done OP.

Good luck homie.

ThisGuy

Hmmmmmmm, try finding another woman to get with. And tell her about it. She might get a little jealous. And if she doesn't. You already found another person.

RevoDS

I understand that being in a loving, romantic relationship can be amazing but when did the value of friendship become worthless?

It's not that friendship is worthless, it's more that this kind of relationship where one party is pining over the other and the second party doesn't care much, is not really a true friendship.

WaterAstro

"Moving on" doesn't mean cutting her out of your life, it means moving on mentally/emotionally.

I actually already did some time after she turned me down because I needed to focus on helping her. Just that it gone to the point where I'm wondering if she could be interested in me because we're at a much closer point than we were when she turned me down.

Which is cool, do that. But the problem is you're viewing your friendship with her through the lens of a romantic one by using terms like "we'e been together" and doing couple stuff. That's not constructive. You can just be friends, but not if you're not willing to frame the relationship that way.

lol is that it? You guys take that word and think it means I'm strung on her.

Apharmd

You are. Hanging out with her is fine, but don't expect to get anywhere in terms of a romantic relationship. Sorry, mate.

Top Bottom