• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.co.jp is now offering international shipping for games and consoles

tiijj

Hopefully it will get better in the future and they allow all the amazon jp sold and ship as well as the fulfilled as well.

Kamion

Hopefully it will get better in the future and they allow all the amazon jp sold and ship as well as the fulfilled as well.

They do in no country though. They won't. It's too much of a hassle with VAT and everything because they need to give VAT information to the sellers so they can tax it.

Prophane33

Question:

If we create a new account and use an Amazon gift card, will the balance be applied to the amazon.co.jp account?

Gift cards do not work between Amazon stores (e.g. an Amazon US gift card will not work on Amazon Japan, which an Amazon Japan gift card will not work on Amazon UK etc.).

tiijj

They do in no country though. They won't. It's too much of a hassle with VAT and everything because they need to give VAT information to the sellers so they can tax it.

What's no country?

I dunno how VAT works but sales tax/duties are usually just added to the invoice or charged by customs, you pay them when you are about to pick them up/received them.

Prophane33

What's no country?

I dunno how VAT works but sales tax/duties are usually just added to the invoice or charged by customs, you pay them when you are about to pick them up/received them.

I believe VAT is tax added to the price of an item in the country of origin; also not every country has customs fees (e.g. there are no taxes or duties to import video games into the US).

I'm sure someone here has probably already asked - is there a list of JPN PS4 games with some kind of English support (subtitles or voice acting)?

Would be great to have a few, even if it's just for fun.

Prophane33

I'm sure someone here has probably already asked - is there a list of JPN PS4 games with some kind of English support (subtitles or voice acting)?

Would be great to have a few, even if it's just for fun.

Off the top of my head there are no Japanese published games with English VA or Subs that haven't been released in the US (or are Western published games by Ubisoft, EA, et.al.). I know some of the Resident Evil and Souls games have English VA but all text is in Japanese. It's very rare to see a JP published game that has full English text on any console, especially a JP exclusive game.

Wereroku

Off the top of my head there are no Japanese published games with English VA or Subs that haven't been released in the US (or are Western published games by Ubisoft, EA, et.al.). I know some of the Resident Evil and Souls games have English VA but all text is in Japanese. It's very rare to see a JP published game that has full English text on any console, especially a JP exclusive game.

The only one I know of is Demon's Gaze and that exists because they released the international version in japan as well.

Megatron

Damn you nintendo for your stupid region locking.

I would be throwing money at the screen as we speak if I could get Picross 3D 2, daigasso, etc.

What are other 3ds games released in japan and not here? Preferably not text heavy. I know the dq games, puyo puyo tetris, sega collection volume one. What else?

Boogiepop

What are other 3ds games released in japan and not here? Preferably not text heavy. I know the dq games, puyo puyo tetris, sega collection volume one. What else?

The Taiko no Tatsujin (Taiko Drum Master) 3DS games are great little rhythm games, so they'd be a good choice. And for what it's worth, of the DQ games, at least the first DQ Monsters remake shouldn't lose too much if you don't understand (much) of the language. (Haven't sat down and played 2 yet, unfortunately). Oh, and Dragon Quest Theatrhythm would of course be a good one. (Of course I realize you mentioned DQ, just don't have much else to add as I need to get around to messing with a lot of my import collection instead of leaving it on the backlog)

Megatron

The Taiko no Tatsujin (Taiko Drum Master) 3DS games are great little rhythm games, so they'd be a good choice. And for what it's worth, of the DQ games, at least the first DQ Monsters remake shouldn't lose too much if you don't understand (much) of the language. (Haven't sat down and played 2 yet, unfortunately). Oh, and Dragon Quest Theatrhythm would of course be a good one. (Of course I realize you mentioned DQ, just don't have much else to add as I need to get around to messing with a lot of my import collection instead of leaving it on the backlog)

Thanks. Yeah, I have theatrythm and slime mori mori 3.

tiijj

The physical release of Green is tempting. Is it easy to break the region locking on 3DS?

It's not really a physical release, it's just a box with some stuff and a card with the code for the eshop so you can purchase and download it in your 3ds.

I never knew they had custom ones, I only know that they had like limited edition ones. Nice but no PS4 :(

Aces&Eights

Sorry if it's been asked but can you buy psn yen cards on a Japanese amazon account? Ive never imported before and I'd rather go with amazon over this playasia thing.

Edit: in America.

Waveset

I believe VAT is tax added to the price of an item in the country of origin; also not every country has customs fees (e.g. there are no taxes or duties to import video games into the US).
In the UK at least VAT is charged on entry to the country by the mail service. You pay them, they pass it on to the government.

Chairhome

okay, i thought you meant the japanese release of it had english voice acting.

I guess I was confused then, I didn't see any announcement for a western release, but I guess the dub is for a western release?

Why did you remind me of DQ Theatrhythm? urge to buy japanese 3ds rising...

muteki

Read an article on a japanese news gaming site about the international shipping, commenters were worried that all their games are going to sell out quicker. lol.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just noticed that this applies to BDs and DVDs as well. Or were we always able to import those?

Aeana

Bypassing the region lock on a 3DS is basically trivial these days. You don't really need to get another system.

s_mirage

I just noticed that this applies to BDs and DVDs as well. Or were we always able to import those?

Always, I believe.

Now if only they shipped "adult items" abroad again. Once upon a time they would ship them, even though they said they wouldn't.

Jombie

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm thinking about ordering Dark Souls 3. It asks for my postal code, which obviously isn't Japanese - what do I put?

Vamphuntr

Bypassing the region lock on a 3DS is basically trivial these days. You don't really need to get another system.

Does it work on the most recent firmware update? I updated for Fire Emblem but this changes everything. I read about the exploit making the web browser crash to install homebrew but lot of people are saying it doesn't work anymore.

kagamin

Does it work on the most recent firmware update? I updated for Fire Emblem but this changes everything. I read about the exploit making the web browser crash to install homebrew but lot of people are saying it doesn't work anymore.

They just came out with a new method to downgrade iirc for 10.5+ I'm pretty sure.

Impotaku

This is why i love Amazon J.

Amiibo festival box set with Kent & Shizue amiibo plus the 3 promo cards for 990 yen, at play asia 2581 yen.

tiijj

This is why i love Amazon J.

Amiibo festival box set with Kent & Shizue amiibo plus the 3 promo cards for 990 yen, at play asia 2581 yen.

Unfortunately 3rd party so it's not eligible on Amazon Global shipping, the price for amazon jp one is 1,606 yen which is still good.

Scavenger

I think always, just like with books and CDs. They've expanded their range of products eligible for international shipping a little bit in recent years. I think last year they started doing international shipping for a small selection of action figures and figures

I'm surprised the shipping costs for games are cheaper than for BDs and DVDs. I paid 1500 yen shipping for the Macross Do You Remember Love Blu-ray a month ago, but shipping costs for games are like half the price.

Prophane33

These were always able to be imported to the US. My first order back in 2002 was DVDs and CDs.

I have two systems, so don't have a horse in this race; but don't these methods limit access to the eshop and dlc?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm thinking about ordering Dark Souls 3. It asks for my postal code, which obviously isn't Japanese - what do I put?

Your postal code.

Really look at that page carefully and you'll notice an option for international shipping. It's not super obvious.

Aeana

I have two systems, so don't have a horse in this race; but don't these methods limit access to the eshop and dlc?
Depending on the exploit used or whether you install emunand, the answer to this is generally no. The only circumstances where it's true are in the cases where your exploit path is blocked with a new firmware update and you never set up emunand. There are a couple of exploits that seem to work on every new update that'll get you access to region unlocking at the very least, though.

Ambulan

Neo Member
So, can you only order games that are already out?

I tried to pre-order Phoenix Wright 6, but it wouldn't let me : /

Prophane33

So, can you only order games that are already out?

I tried to pre-order Phoenix Wright 6, but it wouldn't let me : /

Some pre-orders work, some don't. Had no problem pre-ordering the Happy Price Selection of Taiko no Tatsujin: The Little Dragon and the Mysterious Orb.

Top Bottom