• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Mairu said:
Is Amazon expected to release a new Kindle since the Nook 2 was just released? Not sure if I should try to get a Kindle now then or just wait for what Amazon has next ;O

They put some some statement about not expecting a new e-ink kindle until 2012. The android tablet is their focus for 2011

Raistlin

Mairu said:
Is Amazon expected to release a new Kindle since the Nook 2 was just released? Not sure if I should try to get a Kindle now then or just wait for what Amazon has next ;O
While in no way concrete, the fact they're arguing so much about charge times does make me wonder if they are pushing off a eInk revision until next year and instead concentrating on their tablet offerings.

womp

Snaku said:
To each his own I guess, but I never had an issue navigating with nook 1's touchscreen. I imagine interacting with the page itself will be even less of a hassle.

Thats exactly it, it is all personal and fact we have all this competition just makes it even better for everyone involved. The Nook is a nice device, and I spent about a month deciding which I wanted to get - Kindle 3 or the original, back in September last year. My father owns the original 3G model Nook and the fact it had Android made me horny but something about it irked me.

Mainly the thing about deleting, the battery life and I found the interface very unintuitive. For instance, if I want to change fonts on the Kindle I simply press the font key whereas on the Nook just getting the touch screen to light up was a press in itself to start with.

For anyone interested, here is a list of the "special offers" offered to KSO users:

• Get $10 Amazon credit w/ Visa purchase of ebook: Offered 27 Apr - Exp 21 May 2011
  • Pay $10 for $20 Amazon Gift Card: Offered 01 May - Exp 04 Jun 2011
  • Pay $1 for $9 (or less) Amazon MP3 Album: Offered 05 May - Exp 08 Aug 2011
  • Pay $10 for $30 purchase from Amazon Denim Shop: Offered 09 May - Exp 12 Jun 2011
  • Get 50% off Roku Player (HD, XD, XDS) from Amazon: Offered 13 May - Exp 16 Aug 2011
  • Get $100 instantly with new Amazon Rewards Visa Card: Offered 17 May - Exp 30 May 2011
  • Get 6 Audible Audiobooks (6 month membership) for $6: Offered 21 May - Exp 24 Jun 2011
  • Get 50% off Kindle Lighted Leather Cover: Offered 25 May - Exp 28 Aug 2011

Seriously? 50% off the lighted leather case? /jealous

HiroProtagonist said:
For anyone interested, here is a list of the "special offers" offered to KSO users:

I can pm you the code and you can see if it works. I already have a nice case.

I've saved about $150 so far thanks to the special offers. I <3 my Roku

swoon

my kindle 1 is look pretty busted compared to this kindle deal.

so if i buy the kindle would i still get those past deals?

outunderthestars said:
I can pm you the code and you can see if it works. I already have a nice case.

I've saved about $150 so far thanks to the special offers. I <3 my Roku

Thanks, but I already have one. I'm just jealous that you guys get it @ half off. :) Amazon should offer an opt-in option for pre-KSO customers. I'm not sure if I'd sign-up, but those offers are tempting.

swoon said:
my kindle 1 is look pretty busted compared to this kindle deal.

so if i buy the kindle would i still get those past deals?

No, the window to get the codes sent is small. Once that code arrives you have months to go redeem it though.

Loki

Count of Concision
Jayayess1190 said:

Hysterical that Amazon would so brazenly edit their info like that, especially when it's inaccurate. From that link:

CNET received the following statement from Jamie Iannone, president of Barnes & Noble Digital Products:

"With up to two months on a single charge, the all-new Nook has the longest battery life in the industry and superior battery performance to Kindle 3. In our side-by-side tests, under the exact same conditions, continuous use of the device resulted in more than two times Kindle's battery life. While reading at one page a minute, the all-new Nook battery lasts for 150 hours, where the Kindle battery, using the same page-turn rate, lasts for only 56 hours (both with Wi-Fi off). We've also done a continuous page turn test and at one page turn per second, the all-new Nook offers more than 25,000 continuous page turns on a single charge."

The new Nook's battery life is at least twice as long as the Kindle's under equal conditions. Shameful of Amazon to try and steal B&N's thunder on this specific point lol.

Mairu

How often do you go 2 months or 50 hours of reading without being near an outlet or computer? Does it really matter past a certain point?

Raistlin

And it's not like that's the only differentiator. Amazon decided to go after the tablet market this year and will simply have to concede the ePaper battle for 2011. It's a reversal of last year where Amazon had the better eReader and B&N had a tablet (that's a hackers' dream).

They'll just have to live with the choice.

Raistlin said:
And it's not like that's the only differentiator. Amazon decided to go after the tablet market this year and will simply have to concede the ePaper battle for 2011. It's a reversal of last year where Amazon had the better eReader and B&N had a tablet (that's a hackers' dream).

They'll just have to live with the choice.

The Kindle will still outsell the Nook 5 to 1 with ease this year. E-reader customers aren't tech savvy and Amazon has market recognition. They won't care about minor differences in technology, as much as they will buy a Kindle because their friends have Kindles.

Raistlin

outunderthestars said:
The Kindle will still outsell the Nook 5 to 1 with ease this year. E-reader customers aren't tech savvy and Amazon has market recognition. They won't care about minor differences in technology, as much as they will buy a Kindle because their friends have Kindles.
Well to be fair I don't think kindle was ever outselling it at that rate, and I can't see it suddenly jumping to that level.

That said who fucking cares? This isn't sales age so get that shit out of here. Sure let's only buy what's popular :/

outunderthestars said:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/no-new-e-ink-displays-for-kindle-until-2012/24151

Amazon has said that they won't release a new e-ink Kindle until the next generation of displays are ready, which looks like 2012

This was from E Ink marketing vice president Sri Peruvemba, not anyone from Amazon. It's just saying that there will be no new display, not that Amazon won't release a Kindle revision. Amazon could still release a IR equipped touch - Kindle with the pearl display, or even (I highly doubt) release a new Kindle with screens from another manufacturer. Who knows what they're doing.

Raistlin said:
Even assuming that's true ... who cares? Completely misses the point.

You said they are conceding the market. I disagreed seeing as they dominated the combined sales of both the nook and nook color last year and continue to do so this year. When you control close to 70% of an entire market you reach a point of consumer association. That means that when someone decides to get an e-reader they'll most likely just get a Kindle and not bother researching other options.

There were/are much better mp3 players than ipods, better phones than iphones, and better tablets than ipads, yet all three continue to dominate their respective markets, for the same reason that the Kindle is dominating its. Marketshare is more important than technical innovation.

Raistlin

outunderthestars said:
You said they are conceding the market. I disagreed seeing as they dominated the combined sales of both the nook and nook color last year and continue to do so this year. When you control close to 70% of an entire market you reach a point of consumer association. That means that when someone decides to get an e-reader they'll most likely just get a Kindle and not bother researching other options.

There were/are much better mp3 players than ipods, better phones than iphones, and better tablets than ipads, yet all three continue to dominate their respective markets, for the same reason that the Kindle is dominating its. Marketshare is more important than technical innovation.
I was implying they were potentially conceding the eInk market this year ... at least for the informed.

Again ... who cares? My point is they have the better product.

Raistlin said:
I was implying they were potentially concerning the eInk market ... at least for the informed.

When has the market ever cared about who has the better product?

Raistlin

Jesus fucking christ.

My only point in this thread (at least in the past few days) was hey guys check out their new reader it's pretty sweet

Holy fucking fanboy. When has gaf given a fuck about the market unless they were trolling? Apparently my only console should be a Wii?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Raistlin said:
Jesus fucking christ.

My only point in this thread (at least in the past few days) was hey guys check out their new reader it's pretty sweet

Holy fucking fanboy. When has gaf given a fuck about the market unless they were trolling? Apparently my only console should be a Wii?
You're flying off the handle over nothing. All he did was post relevant information on sales comparison and you're sperging out like he stabbed your mother. He didn't even post it to argue with you, really. Instead, it was a contribution to a natural progression of the subject. Relax yourself, champ.

He's right. It doesn't really matter that the Nook is the better product right now because people are still going to want the Kindle due to its popularity.

Manics

Banned
Loki said:
Hysterical that Amazon would so brazenly edit their info like that, especially when it's inaccurate. From that link:

The new Nook's battery life is at least twice as long as the Kindle's under equal conditions. Shameful of Amazon to try and steal B&N's thunder on this specific point lol.

This is according to B&N. Nobody has a test unit yet to actually try out their battery claims. Companies always inflate the battery numbers, just look at Apple and iPhone, I don't get near the battery performance they talk about unless I keep the phone in airplane mode and never use it LOL

Manics

Banned
Raistlin said:
I was implying they were potentially conceding the eInk market this year ... at least for the informed.

Poster above is correct, you are flying off the handle for nothing. Your statement that Amazon is "conceding the e-ink market this year" is ridiculous when they outsell all other eInk readers and most likely will continue to do so. All the bells and whistles don't get people to run out and buy a product, if they did everyone would have bought the Sony touch-screen eInk reader that's been out for months. It basically has the same features as the new Nook. Amazon can afford to wait and announce a new line of Kindles with brand new technology that trumps the Pearl screen and everyone will be on board. They're not conceding anything.

Manics

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
It's just nice not to constantly have to charge it.

I have to agree with the other poster. When you don't have to charge something for 3-4 weeks, it's not like it's a chore to charge it. I'm so used to having to charge my damn phone every day that charging the Kindle once a month is a breeze. At a certain point, 1 month, 2 months it makes little difference.

brentech

Grrr. These deals make me want to pull the trigger now, but I must get and read my A Song of Ice and Fire box set before I do it. Hoping for even better deal by the time I finish. /cross-fingers

Why don't owners of the ad-free Kindle have a chance to enjoy these offers? It'd only boost the sales of the partners Amazon is working with, plus it seems really unfair. I'd understand if the only incentive to get the Kindle w/ads was the deals, but it's cheaper than the regular Kindle too. Grrr.

Fireye

Leona Lewis said:
Why don't owners of the ad-free Kindle have a chance to enjoy these offers? It'd only boost the sales of the partners Amazon is working with, plus it seems really unfair. I'd understand if the only incentive to get the Kindle w/ads was the deals, but it's cheaper than the regular Kindle too. Grrr.

My guess is, is that these amazing super deals are only going to be for a short amount of time. They want to entice people to buy the ad-supported kindle, as a way to expand the ad viewer-base, and then tell their ad partners just how big they are.

Kosmo

Banned
HiroProtagonist said:

How do I convert my current Kindle into a special offer version? LOL

Seriously.

Manics said:
I have to agree with the other poster. When you don't have to charge something for 3-4 weeks, it's not like it's a chore to charge it. I'm so used to having to charge my damn phone every day that charging the Kindle once a month is a breeze. At a certain point, 1 month, 2 months it makes little difference.

Sadly it becomes a problem for me since it lasts so long I forget to charge and have had it die on me more than once while reading. :lol

Sleepy

Great...At this rate, with all the new announcements, I will never be able to decide.

With the Kobo and the Nook being tied to actual brick-and-mortar stores, will bankruptcy, company dissolution have an effect on the lifespan of these devices? Amazon ain't going anywhere so maybe Kindle is the safest bet?

Help Me! said:
Great...At this rate, with all the new announcements, I will never be able to decide.

With the Kobo and the Nook being tied to actual brick-and-mortar stores, will bankruptcy, company dissolution have an effect on the lifespan of these devices? Amazon ain't going anywhere so maybe Kindle is the safest bet?
Barnes and Noble books uses ePub, and with Calibre you can buy a book from Amazon and convert it to ePub to read on the Nook or Kobo.

Raistlin

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It doesn't use energy to display things. That's the point of e-ink.
This is true, but it does use a nominal amount of energy to maintain standby mode I assume?

To be honest I've never 'properly' shut mine down. Off the top of my head I don't even know how one does that :p

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Heart of Darkness, since it's free. Never did read through it before - am I in for good things?

8bit

Knows the Score
Raistlin said:
This is true, but it does use a nominal amount of energy to maintain standby mode I assume?

Only for the wireless connection. Eink is like lots of little discs in a grid that are white or black, you expend energy flipping them but not keeping them in the position you want.

Sleepy

Jayayess1190 said:
Barnes and Noble books uses ePub, and with Calibre you can buy a book from Amazon and convert it to ePub to read on the Nook or Kobo.

Damn. Although, isn't Amazon going ePub?

Tokubetsu

Sunflower said:
Just picked up Heart of Darkness, since it's free. Never did read through it before - am I in for good things?

I liked it in high school. Haven't read it in years and there's a bit of racism in there so you've been warned.

Raistlin

Manics said:
Poster above is correct, you are flying off the handle for nothing.
Admittedly I was drunk, and it seemed he was missing my (poorly communicated) point.

Sorry outunderthestars

Your statement that Amazon is "conceding the e-ink market this year" is ridiculous when they outsell all other eInk readers and most likely will continue to do so.
What I was trying to say was concede the e-ink market in terms of tech and features.

All the bells and whistles don't get people to run out and buy a product, if they did everyone would have bought the Sony touch-screen eInk reader that's been out for months.
Again, I give zero poops to sales. I'm talking about the better product. Nook will IMO have a fairly sizable tech and feature advantage for nearly a year.

Regarding the Sony though, it's not really a perfect comparison. Their touch unit is quite a bit more expensive, the eReader software itself is missing a lot of Nook's features (even Kindle is versus Nook - stuff like public library usage (I know the Sony can use this), a functional lending/borrowing model, social media features, in-store specials, etc), and the requirement to sideload via a PC is obviously less practical for many people.

Top Bottom