• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

womp

Manics said:
How does it scroll smoothly with the e-ink redraw? I thought it uses the same display as Kindle 3?

It does, but I think it is using a faster CPU though hence faster redraw. ;)

AndyD

aka andydumi
womp said:
Right click on the book and choose edit metadata -edit metadata individually. You can fetch the info using the book title or better yet its ISBN then save. Never had a problem with ePub, MOBI, PDF etc although understand that not all formats are capable of saving covers.

Quite frankly, I find cover art worthless on the Kindle anyway, although the OCD in me tends to include it. heh.

Thanks. I also don't care about covers, but my wife does.

I tried what you suggested, but it did not save to the mobi file. It saved as a separate jpg file in the same folder. Hmm.

Edit: I think I got it. I need to reconvert it from mobi to mobi and there is an option to use original art or new/custom. I think it works.

Manics said:
How does it scroll smoothly with the e-ink redraw? I thought it uses the same display as Kindle 3?

Well I did post this link before of Bookeen showing off smooth scrolling. They used a regular e-ink screen with custom software and hardware, which I'm assuming is a faster processor.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
HiroProtagonist said:
I was going to post this yesterday in response to the thread Piracy is truly part of our culture now... :

E-books drive older women to digital piracy

I think it demonstrates the pervasiveness of piracy more than a quasi-tech savvy teenage girl on Facebook talking about downloading a movie. When Aunt Myrtle starts pirating books - you know its gone mainstream.

I do imagine that the Library lending system will do a lot to stem the tide of Perimenopausal pirates. [pun intended]

This made me think about how I used to spend a great deal of money on used books, before I got my Kindle. I still do occasionally (when I have time to drop by the store), but now when I want to try out a new author for cheaper I'm more likely to go and purchase the e-book version than anything else. My new book purchases haven't changed much though (books I'm looking forward to I pre-order the paper version.) I wonder how many people like me have changed their used book buying ways?

Jintor

I did it. I downloaded a free book. I've never completely read Alice in Wonderland so I picked it up. I'm lost now. Godsdamnit.

womp

AndyD said:
Thanks. I also don't care about covers, but my wife does.

I tried what you suggested, but it did not save to the mobi file. It saved as a separate jpg file in the same folder. Hmm.

Edit: I think I got it. I need to reconvert it from mobi to mobi and there is an option to use original art or new/custom. I think it works.

That makes no sense...Honestly, that is how I do it all the time and it works like a charm. Takes seconds. Weird! No idea why it is doing that. :/

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Manics said:
Yeah mailing a physical book to someone to borrow I think is ok, but how about if you were able to simultaneously mail a distribution list of 100 people that book? Piracy or no?

Also all the bestsellers are available and I don't agree with you saying if you had to wait someone would just buy the book. Its not like music where I can listen to multiple CDs in a day. If I'm already reading another book I'm not going to suddenly buy a bunch of other titles since I won't even get to them for awhile. Only exception for me is the upcoming release of Dance with Dragons. I'm timing my reading so that my schedule will be clear July 12th and I can start the book that day.

If I were to make copies of the book, it would be piracy of course, since I'm not the publisher.

I'm going to use this book I recently purchased as an example. You can't expect to find this book pirated. I just looked everywhere on google for a pirated version. Nothing.

So people might do what I did. I saw the book for $25 in the store. Went to Amazon.com and saw a kindle version for $16. Bought it with one click and now I have it.

Harry Potter, Goblins, unicorns and romance novels may be pirated easily, but you'll be hard pressed to try and find a less popular book. So much so, that it's easier just to purchase it.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Manics said:
Looks good but that just means the next Kindle is gonna be even more kick ass to distinguish itself. ;)

Kobo has the Boarders store. I don't know how much it has improved, but it's not as good as Amazon.com. Still, the Kobo looks pretty cool. Much better than the crappy Nook.

AndyD

aka andydumi
womp said:
That makes no sense...Honestly, that is how I do it all the time and it works like a charm. Takes seconds. Weird! No idea why it is doing that. :/

Maybe I am still missing a step. When you say "Save" what button do you mean?

I open the metadata, hit clear on cover, then download, and pick one. It downloads. Then I hit OK to go back to main screen. If I then email the book to the kindle, the old cover is still in place. If I first select the book and hit convert, then do it, it takes about 2 seconds since it does not change the format. Then if I email it, the new cover is in place.

So maybe when you say "save" its the same as my "convert"?

That new Kobo looks pretty sleek, would love if Amazon incorporated some sort of stats like that in an update.

I'm pretty amazed at how fast this thread has grown, especially since the Kindle 3 has been out since August. Crazy how an official thread encourages posts. :p

I'm looking for some novel suggestions. I'm currently reading The Book of Basketball, which is great, but there's so many footnotes and it's really a pain to navigate them on the Kindle. The last book I read that I truly loved was The Road by Cormac McCarthy, so novels like that are what I most like (although I tend to get into nonfiction easier).

womp

AndyD said:
Maybe I am still missing a step. When you say "Save" what button do you mean?

I open the metadata, hit clear on cover, then download, and pick one. It downloads. Then I hit OK to go back to main screen. If I then email the book to the kindle, the old cover is still in place. If I first select the book and hit convert, then do it, it takes about 2 seconds since it does not change the format. Then if I email it, the new cover is in place.

So maybe when you say "save" its the same as my "convert"?

What format is the book file, MOBI right? This will work for both ePub and MOBI among others...The Kindle loves the MOBI format and ePub to MOBI look great. I recommend converting the eBook to MOBI first which you can do by right clicking on a book, choosing 'Convert' then 'Convert Individually' from the prompt. On the next window at the top right you will see a drop down option with the formats to convert to and MOBI should already be preselected. Click OK to commence.

So moving on to the actual book info and cover art.....

Add your book to the Calibre library list.

Right click on the book file and choose 'Edit Metadata' -> 'Edit Metadata Individually'. You will be superimposing all information over any currently in place in the file.

I took a screenshot of what comes next...

Eyb8U.png

Go to Amazon, search your book and copy the ISBN number. This is the easiest way to snag the book info I have found automatically, much like doing album art for an mp3 at times. Paste it where indicated, click 'Fetch metadata from server'. Your book will be listed in another window list, select it, check in all three option boxes at the bottom then click 'OK'.

The window will close and bring you back to the screenshot above - Now simply click 'OK' illustrated by the 3.

Poof. Book cover and info saved. Done! :)

There is absolutely ZERO reason to use that Amazon Kindle email conversion service, don't bother.

womp

HiroProtagonist said:
So it's basically the new Kobo. Hrm... I look forward to seeing the official specs tomorrow.

Just like the original Nook was the Notion Ink Adam. I am seeing a pattern here. heh

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm glad Kindle hasn't moved to touch screen yet. I've never been a big fan of the tech. I'll only accept it as a necessity if e-readers become too thin to support buttons. At least there is enough variety out there for people of all preferences, I guess.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why aren't you a fan of the tech? Infrared is fantastic. And I doubt buttons would be removed, if touch was added. Probably an option to extend battery life.

UltimaKilo said:
Kobo has the Boarders store. I don't know how much it has improved, but it's not as good as Amazon.com. Still, the Kobo looks pretty cool. Much better than the crappy Nook.

Border's is still in business?

last I heard they were bankrupt, closing stores, and unable to find any lender or buyer....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
outunderthestars said:
fingerprints look terrible on e-reader screens.
Have you used the Sony e reader?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Bboy AJ said:
Why aren't you a fan of the tech? Infrared is fantastic. And I doubt buttons would be removed, if touch was added. Probably an option to extend battery life.

I don't have a really good, concrete reason for it I guess. I think I just enjoy the tactile sensation of pressing buttons more than touch screens. I know I'm way in the minority on this one, so I don't bring it up too much. Haha.

womp

outunderthestars said:
Saw one in the store, noticed the smudges on the screen and immediately walked away. I don't want to have to constantly touch the screen of something I am reading.

I agree with this...It is bad enough on my iPad and Droid, much less something I read for a longer stretch of time - An eBook reader.

One of the best things I enjoy about my Kindle is that it is probably the only portable device I don't have to wipe smudges off the screen of every 10 min. heh.

Speaking of Sony - They really need to address the MSRP on their Reader line. 179.99 for a touch, non-wifi, non-3g unit is insane. And that's not even considering the new Kobo/Nook that offers better tech at a much lower price point.

Bboy AJ

outunderthestars said:
Saw one in the store, noticed the smudges on the screen and immediately walked away. I don't want to have to constantly touch the screen of something I am reading.
That's an abused store model. The 950 doesn't have noticeable prints on the matte screen.

womp, you can't compare fingerprints on the Sony screen to iPads or Droids. Totally different screens.

womp

Bboy AJ said:
That's an abused store model. The 950 doesn't have noticeable prints on the matte screen.

womp, you can't compare fingerprints on the Sony screen to iPads or Droids. Totally different screens.

I'm just speaking in general however even the Kindle screen isn't smudge proof, but not needing to touch it for every single tap makes it a non-issue. I'm quite happy with the D-pad/selection button on the Kindle for 90% of my usage even if I sometimes out of habit DO tap it's screen at the end of the day. heh.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Bboy AJ said:

Nonetheless, it's still not something I'm crazy about. Touching the screen I'm reading will lead to smudges that I don't want. I don't care about it with my iPhone, but on a dedicated reader it would annoy the hell out of me, even with a matte screen.

Well, that eInk stuff does sound kinda tempting. I tried a cheap eBook reader once, and the display was pretty offputting, more or less like a normal screen.
And lol @ older women pirating. Funny stuff.
It's not like eBooks are expensive, I really feel embarrassed for people who have a job and still pirate this kind of stuff.
If you're poor and/or something is really overpriced, I could sort of sympathise but this is just ridiculous.

Jintor

There's no reliable way to get past the region locking yet is there? I guess I could try and set the address of a US friend in the Kindle options maybe...

/edit so basically just do it once to buy and change it back immediately?

Manics

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
If I were to make copies of the book, it would be piracy of course, since I'm not the publisher.

I'm going to use this book I recently purchased as an example. You can't expect to find this book pirated. I just looked everywhere on google for a pirated version. Nothing.

So people might do what I did. I saw the book for $25 in the store. Went to Amazon.com and saw a kindle version for $16. Bought it with one click and now I have it.

Harry Potter, Goblins, unicorns and romance novels may be pirated easily, but you'll be hard pressed to try and find a less popular book. So much so, that it's easier just to purchase it.
Yeah I know if you start picking history books that aren't very poplular you're not going to find them pirated. Those are a given, any mainstream book that shows up on bestseller lists are pirated. Those books make up the majority of book sales so when people say pirating books is an issue, that's what they mean.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
legend166 said:
I thought that exact thing. When I opened the box, and the screen says "Welcome to the Kindle" or something like that, I thought it was a piece of plastic or cardboard or something with the writing on it. I went to take it off, then I realised it was the screen.

Rite of passage, right there. EVERYONE does :)

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I wonder if Amazon will respond to the new nook. :(

I posted in the Nook thread, but my guess is yes. They can't be seen to be "falling behind" at least in perception. Watching the video of that new Nook, the page turns are super-fast, I guess they're caching a few pages at once so it's not actually doing a full screen refresh everytime. This also saves on battery power, it's rated with 2 MONTHS of life. Unbelievable. Amazon will have to bump up their specs to compete with that. Hopefully they take the best ideas from these touchscreen models (Nook and Kobo) and make a great Kindle 4.

Manics

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
After you guys convinced me to buy! :(

Kindle 3 is still a great device and who knows when they'll release a new one. Could be another year for all we know. In any event just do what lots of other people do, put up your Kindle 3 for sale at eBay and get the Kindle 4 if and when it comes out.

Zzoram

Manics said:
Kindle 3 is still a great device and who knows when they'll release a new one. Could be another year for all we know. In any event just do what lots of other people do, put up your Kindle 3 for sale at eBay and get the Kindle 4 if and when it comes out.

Or keep the Kindle 3 and give it to a kid/girlfriend/wife.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Srsly? The sad face has me thrown. If so, I just want to point out that the Nook/Kobo has been shipping since September 2010, but it's called the Sony PRS-650. It has the same pearl screen, and the same RF touch - I don't know how the processors compare, and the price is higher, but if you were shopping for top tech it has been available for quite some time.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm still rocking a Kindle 2(and my wife got it for me when it was $279). I have no problems with it, th only thing I wish I had was that pearl e-ink screen and even then I don't think about it much. Seriously the thing that is going to matter most is the screen and they all use the same one now.

Proc

Yay, I found a local retail store in Canada to buy the kindle at listed price, which saves me a ton on importing it.

The new kobo looks nice, however I want the kindle store to buy books, touch isn't a big deal to me, and I want the extra battery life. What I really like about the Kobo is the expandable storage.

Kindle 4 will be awesome. The kindle 3 looks like a great e-reader and a great place to start with the tech.

brentech

I used to be a total doubter (specially since Amazon always claims it the best selling item, yet I never saw one in the wild). I still haven't had a chance to see one up close in person, but it appears people do own them and like them very much.

A little concerned with all the issues people seem to be having with the newest model, but I think I'll jump on one before too long. Want to see how Amazon responds to the new Nook.

Also have ASOIAF book set on order, so I have time to ingest those and see what happens with all these readers.

Nah, not really sad just sucks when I bought one a month ago. The 2 month battery life sounds crazy if Amazon matches that is all. I'm not mad, I've already read like 5 books on it so I've definitely already got a lot of use out of it for having it for a month.

brentech said:
I used to be a total doubter (specially since Amazon always claims it the best selling item, yet I never saw one in the wild). I still haven't had a chance to see one up close in person, but it appears people do own them and like them very much.

A little concerned with all the issues people seem to be having with the newest model, but I think I'll jump on one before too long. Want to see how Amazon responds to the new Nook.

Also have ASOIAF book set on order, so I have time to ingest those and see what happens with all these readers.

What problem were people having with the kindle 3?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Nah, not really sad just sucks when I bought one a month ago. The 2 month battery life sounds crazy if Amazon matches that is all. I'm not mad, I've already read like 5 books on it so I've definitely already got a lot of use out of it for having it for a month.?
Good. I was about to throw 16-shades of gray at you. :)

Here is a youtube link to the The All-New NOOK Guided Tour.

Raistlin

While I love my K3, once the new Nook is rooted and runs the Kindle App stably ... I'm probably dumping the Kindle on ebay.

brentech

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What problem were people having with the kindle 3?
A lot of the recent reviews have people complaining about the kindle 3 not coming out of sleep mode. Makes them have to do a reset on it as if it has crashed.

Raistlin said:
While I love my K3, once the new Nook is rooted and runs the Kindle App stably ... I'm probably dumping the Kindle on ebay.

When they root a device, do they need to hack each device separately, or do they just hack each version of the Android OS - allowing all devices running that version to be rooted?

Top Bottom