• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

I hate being in China right now ._.u Any Gaffer that is flying to SH and could bring me a Kindle? Here they try to sell them around 300 USD

JoshuaJSlone said:
For those who don't mind not having the latest version, refurbished Kindle 2 for $90 + 5 shipping is today's Woot deal.

I have a few questions about this?

What is the physical size difference between this model and the wifi only for $139.99?
How do the screens compare?

Looking at the fact that this one has 3G and is a big selling point for me, even though it is refurbished.

Forsete

I've done a lot of reading on my PRS-650, but now I started reading a book that is not available as an ePub. Every now and then when its time to turn the page I catch myself swiping the page (like you do on the 650 to turn the page).. :p Retarded I know.

I also miss not having the dictionary there.

JoshuaJSlone said:
For those who don't mind not having the latest version, refurbished Kindle 2 for $90 + 5 shipping is today's Woot deal.

Anyone want to comment on the major differences in the user experience between the 2nd gen and 3rd gen? I've read all the spec/size differences but does anyone have any firsthand experience of what that translates to?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Screen is better on 3 but 2 has 3G access. I'd personally go for the 3 since it's only a little bit more money, newer version, better screen, and I have little use for 3G.

Kindle 3 also has twice the space, which isn't really that big a deal unless you plan to upload a ton of comics or large PDFs.

What makes the Kindle 3 a better buy is its much improved page turn speed. It's easily twice as fast as the previous Kindle in that regard. Plus, it's the first Kindle that really looks like a polished piece of electronics. They're still more than usable, but the first two Kindles look ugly in comparison.

Wads

Banned
Bboy AJ said:
Screen is better on 3 but 2 has 3G access. I'd personally go for the 3 since it's only a little bit more money, newer version, better screen, and I have little use for 3G.

Say what? I agree there is little use for 3G, but you can get a Kindle 3 with 3G access for 190.

edit, oh, I think I see what you mean. Missed the part about the deal.

Sleepy

Probably going to splurge and get one; however, I have a few questions (that have most likely been asked to death, so I will live with the grief):

1. Any news on the Kindle 4? Or is it still too early?
2. I know that Father's Day is big tech day? Expected pricedrop after FD?
3. How bad is direct sunlight for the Kindle? Bad idea to take to pool, beach? Besides the supremely obvious ones. :\
4. I have Kindle for PC and been collecting free classics; is there a way to transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks!

Fireye

Help Me! said:
Probably going to splurge and get one; however, I have a few questions (that have most likely been asked to death, so I will live with the grief):

1. Any news on the Kindle 4? Or is it still too early?
2. I know that Father's Day is big tech day? Expected pricedrop after FD?
3. How bad is direct sunlight for the Kindle? Bad idea to take to pool, beach? Besides the supremely obvious ones. :\
4. I have Kindle for PC and been collecting free classics; is there a way to transfer them to the Kindle?

Thanks!

The only news on the next kindle has been some rumors about a Kindle Tablet, to fight the iPad and Nook Color. I wouldn't expect an eInk Kindle 4 until early next year.

As far as I'm aware, there's no issue with Kindle and direct sunlight. Their advertising model is built on being able to read it anywhere light is available. As with most electronics, it's probably not a good idea to leave it in a car on a hot sunny day, because hell, the entire thing is plastic.

I wish the page turn buttons were placed a little higher up. The way I hold the Kindle in the lighted leather cover, it seems that it'd be more comfortable for the page forward button to be where the page back button is. Is there a hack or something so that I can switch the button functionality?

So far, this is my only complaint hardware-wise. Loving this thing!

Sleepy

Fireye said:
The only news on the next kindle has been some rumors about a Kindle Tablet, to fight the iPad and Nook Color. I wouldn't expect an eInk Kindle 4 until early next year.

As far as I'm aware, there's no issue with Kindle and direct sunlight. Their advertising model is built on being able to read it anywhere light is available. As with most electronics, it's probably not a good idea to leave it in a car on a hot sunny day, because hell, the entire thing is plastic.

Thanks. So direct sunlight is fine, in moderation?

one question has been bugging me: is the book industry now actually suffering from piracy too? have there been any complaints so far?
i'm not the type for ebooks, i guess growing up with books instead of tv/videogames does that to you
might check them out somewhere down the line, but if e-ink is anything like traditional displays, it's not for me

Manics

Banned
scar tissue said:
but if e-ink is anything like traditional displays, it's not for me
E-ink is NOTHING like traditional displays, that's a major part of the selling point of the Kindle. It's meant to be a book replacement.

Forsete said:
I've done a lot of reading on my PRS-650, but now I started reading a book that is not available as an ePub. Every now and then when its time to turn the page I catch myself swiping the page (like you do on the 650 to turn the page).. :p Retarded I know.

I also miss not having the dictionary there.
Miss the dictionary on what? Kindle has a dictionary.

Leona Lewis said:
I wish the page turn buttons were placed a little higher up. The way I hold the Kindle in the lighted leather cover, it seems that it'd be more comfortable for the page forward button to be where the page back button is. Is there a hack or something so that I can switch the button functionality?

So far, this is my only complaint hardware-wise. Loving this thing!

I completely disagree and hope they never do. The button is perfect where it is, it matches where my right thumb is when I'm holding it making it easy to flip pages. I would hate if the buttons were moved even higher.

scar tissue said:
one question has been bugging me: is the book industry now actually suffering from piracy too? have there been any complaints so far?
i'm not the type for ebooks, i guess growing up with books instead of tv/videogames does that to you
might check them out somewhere down the line, but if e-ink is anything like traditional displays, it's not for me

I'm nto sure if the book industry is suffering from piracy... One thing of note, for me, is that it's just so easy to buy books on this, which is one of the main reasons I'd ever consider pirating anything.

As for the display, E-Ink replicates a page. The technology behind it is impressive, and the Kindle reads like a book. The first time you see a Kindle in all of it's glory, you're almost guaranteed to think that the screen is one of those 'fake' screens that they put on the cardboard cutout replicas of devices at stores... It looks that "authentic."

scar tissue said:

I was going to post this yesterday in response to the thread Piracy is truly part of our culture now... :

E-books drive older women to digital piracy

One in eight women over 35 who own such devices admit to having downloaded an unlicensed e-book.

That compares to just one in 20 women over 35 who admit to having engaged in digital music piracy.

I think it demonstrates the pervasiveness of piracy more than a quasi-tech savvy teenage girl on Facebook talking about downloading a movie. When Aunt Myrtle starts pirating books - you know its gone mainstream.

I do imagine that the Library lending system will do a lot to stem the tide of Perimenopausal pirates. [pun intended]

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Help Me! said:
Thanks. So direct sunlight is fine, in moderation?

I read on my Kindle at the beach every Thursday-Sunday and I have no problem with it. Just like reading a book. I would suggest getting a sleeve to keep the elements out if you're going to be lugging it around.

DoctorWho said:
I have a few questions about this?

What is the physical size difference between this model and the wifi only for $139.99?
How do the screens compare?

Looking at the fact that this one has 3G and is a big selling point for me, even though it is refurbished.
dbeKL.jpg

PvriG.jpg

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
HiroProtagonist said:
I think it demonstrates the pervasiveness of piracy more than a quasi-tech savvy teenage girl on Facebook talking about downloading a movie. When Aunt Myrtle starts pirating books - you know its gone mainstream.

I do imagine that the Library lending system will do a lot to stem the tide of Perimenopausal pirates. [pun intended]

The reason iTunes has been able to succeed when piracy is so rampant is by making it easier to pay for something at a low price, than to pirate it.

There aren't that many books that can be pirated. It's much easier to just click on "buy" and be reading the book within seconds.

Manics

Banned
I think authors can cut publishers right out of the equation now with digital books. Why should someone else take a cut after you spent years writing a book? Authors can distribute their own ebooks online now. Well known authors for sure could do it.

Would also help keep costs down. How much does an author actually get from a $9.99 or $12.99 book?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The Borders-backed Kobo will soon gain touchscreen capabilities, putting it into more direct competition with the Nook Color and even Amazon's Kindle. The third-party e-reader, now called the Kobo eReader Touch Edition, will cost $129.99 and is available for preorder now for delivery in June, while the original version of the device will be marked down to just $99.99.

The first-generation Kobo was originally released in the middle of last year with the help of the (now bankrupt) Borders bookstore chain. The device started out at $149 and got you an E-Ink screen, a gigabyte of memory, and ePub and PDF support, along with its own bookstore.

The new, Touch version of the Kobo is more sleek looking than the original. Gone is the directional button pad, and the screen makes use of Neonode's zForce infrared touch tech in order to "make reading on Kobo just like that of reading a real book." The device also apparently got a processor bump to aid in faster page turning, and the company's website advertises that the device can now hold up to 30,000 books (up from 10,000) despite apparently having the same level of memory and SD card support. Oh, and the Kobo Touch comes in four colors now: lilac, blue, silver, and black.

Even Kobo executives seem a little surprised at the Kobo's mild success—the company did jump in after Amazon had begun establishing itself as the e-reader gold medalist with Barnes & Noble grabbing the silver. But apparently there was enough demand for another device, and Kobo decided to forge ahead. "By default, we launched the first device to get into the market," EVP of business development told All Things D. "But what we found is we were able to remain competitive….We are an e-book company, but the device is part of that strategy. We’ll continue to put out top-tier devices in the market."

The new (and old) Kobo devices are priced well against the offerings from other companies—the WiFi-only Nook from Barnes & Noble is $149, while the Nook Color (with touchscreen) is $249. Meanwhile, Amazon's most recent WiFi-only Kindle is $139, with the ad-supported Kindle With Special Offers going for $114, neither of which have any kind of touchscreen. At the Kobo's new prices, users looking to swap out their dead tree books for electronic versions may find themselves attracted to the Kobo after all, assuming the Kobo bookstore has the right content.

The WiFi Kobo was never as good as the Kindle 3, IMO, but it was leaps and bounds better than the Nook. I never understood why anyone would purchase a Nook, the first time I played with it (I had never seen a Kindle), I thought it was so bad that I went and bought the Kindle 3.

The SD card support in the Kobo is neat and a cool thing to have, but I probably would not use it much.

Manics

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
There aren't that many books that can be pirated. It's much easier to just click on "buy" and be reading the book within seconds.
Rrr? Pretty much every digital book on sale at Amazon is pirated.

Manics

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
Through torrents or something? How would that work?
eBooks (without images) are so much smaller in file size than either music or movies that they're dead easy to pirate. You can email eBooks cause theyre so small. All the traditional pirate routes are there for ebooks.

I really want to grab that 2nd gen kindle on Woot..

should I just front the extra $20 bucks and get the add supported 3rd gen??

do any of you have the special offers version? how is it?

Did you read the article? It says:

The picture across the entire e-reader and tablet markets is even more troubling for the publishing industry. Some 29 per cent of e-reader owners of both genders and all ages admit piracy. For tablets the figure rises to 36 per cent.

There are very few books that are not available to pirates.

Manics said:
I think authors can cut publishers right out of the equation now with digital books. Why should someone else take a cut after you spent years writing a book? Authors can distribute their own ebooks online now. Well known authors for sure could do it.

Would also help keep costs down. How much does an author actually get from a $9.99 or $12.99 book?

Last December Amazon increased publisher revenue share to 70 percent.

Mindlog

The new Kobo appears to be a very well done e-reader. It's using the same Peral display as the Kindle 3 and recent Sony offerings.

scar tissue said:
but if e-ink is anything like traditional displays, it's not for me
Like everyone else has said; "They're nothing alike. E-Ink is a proper reading display."

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Manics said:
eBooks (without images) are so much smaller in file size than either music or movies that they're dead easy to pirate. You can email eBooks cause theyre so small. All the traditional pirate routes are there for ebooks.

I see what you're saying, but it leads to my point that not every book can be pirated, because not everyone owns that book, much less makes it available online. Especially a new release. If you have to wait until someone makes it available for pirate, or you can buy it through a one-click process, for a reasonable price, won't the majority of people choose the latter option?

I don't see why emailing a book would be considered piracy. What if I airmailed a hardcover that I purchased to someone? That wouldn't piracy.

I purchased Tony Blair's book a ways back and sent it to a friend via email. If I had sent him the physical book, that wouldn't be piracy, but sending a digital copy would? o_O

Karakand

Manics said:

Sort of related: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/27/kindle-ebooks-amazon-stephen-leather

It's a great way for authors to get their foot in the door, at the very least.

JetBlackPanda said:
I really want to grab that 2nd gen kindle on Woot..

should I just front the extra $20 bucks and get the add supported 3rd gen??

do any of you have the special offers version? how is it?

I love my special offer kindle! So far I've gotten a $20 amazon gift card for $10, an mp3 album for a buck, $50 off the Roku, $20 off a pair of jeans, and six audible books for $6.

I've saved $150 on amazon purchases thus far, and the ad on the screensaver isn't a big deal at all. :D

UltimaKilo said:
I see what you're saying, but it leads to my point that not every book can be pirated, because not everyone owns that book, much less makes it available online. Especially a new release. If you have to wait until someone makes it available for pirate, or you can buy it through a one-click process, for a reasonable price, won't the majority of people choose the latter option?

You are right in that I don't think people pirate e-books as much as other digital content. But every single book you could want is out there to download illegally. Even books that are out of print. It's terribly frustrating when I see a book out of print and not available in an e-book store but up on some torrent website.

Probably the most pirated book are those that aren't available as an e-book.

Manics

Banned
UltimaKilo said:

I don't see why emailing a book would be considered piracy. What if I airmailed a hardcover that I purchased to someone? That wouldn't piracy.

I purchased Tony Blair's book a ways back and sent it to a friend via email. If I had sent him the physical book, that wouldn't be piracy, but sending a digital copy would? o_O
Yeah mailing a physical book to someone to borrow I think is ok, but how about if you were able to simultaneously mail a distribution list of 100 people that book? Piracy or no?

Also all the bestsellers are available and I don't agree with you saying if you had to wait someone would just buy the book. Its not like music where I can listen to multiple CDs in a day. If I'm already reading another book I'm not going to suddenly buy a bunch of other titles since I won't even get to them for awhile. Only exception for me is the upcoming release of Dance with Dragons. I'm timing my reading so that my schedule will be clear July 12th and I can start the book that day.

mantidor

so, are screen protectors recommended? the screen is awesome, but it still has a small glare under certain light conditions, I don't know if there are protectors with something like "anti-glare" or similar, normal protectors I guess are out of the question, they are reflective most of the time.

Manics

Banned
Karakand said:
Sort of related: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/27/kindle-ebooks-amazon-stephen-leather

It's a great way for authors to get their foot in the door, at the very least.
Yeah that's exactly what I was getting at. You can get your book out and "published" yourself nowadays. Sure it's still a longshot you'll be successful, but you're no longer at the mercy of a publisher liking your story anymore. The general public decides and the author makes direct profits.

outunderthestars said:
I love my special offer kindle! So far I've gotten a $20 amazon gift card for $10, an mp3 album for a buck, $50 off the Roku, $20 off a pair of jeans, and six audible books for $6.

I've saved $150 on amazon purchases thus far, and the ad on the screensaver isn't a big deal at all. :D

thanks for the input I think i am going to get the special offer kindle since its not that much more the I like the graphite and the new screen and stuff.

legend166

The Albatross said:
I'm nto sure if the book industry is suffering from piracy... One thing of note, for me, is that it's just so easy to buy books on this, which is one of the main reasons I'd ever consider pirating anything.

As for the display, E-Ink replicates a page. The technology behind it is impressive, and the Kindle reads like a book. The first time you see a Kindle in all of it's glory, you're almost guaranteed to think that the screen is one of those 'fake' screens that they put on the cardboard cutout replicas of devices at stores... It looks that "authentic."

I thought that exact thing. When I opened the box, and the screen says "Welcome to the Kindle" or something like that, I thought it was a piece of plastic or cardboard or something with the writing on it. I went to take it off, then I realised it was the screen.

Manics

Banned
legend166 said:
I thought that exact thing. When I opened the box, and the screen says "Welcome to the Kindle" or something like that, I thought it was a piece of plastic or cardboard or something with the writing on it. I went to take it off, then I realised it was the screen.
LOL, so many people have done that.

JetBlackPanda said:
thanks for the input I think i am going to get the special offer kindle since its not that much more the I like the graphite and the new screen and stuff.

You're really going to love it! Especially when epub support opens up and you can check books out from the library with it! :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think this is the place to ask a Calibre question.

Is there a way to change the cover of a book in Calibre? I know I can download new covers from google/amazon, but they don't seem to be saved to the E-book replacing the cover that is included in the mobi file. They seem to be used for Calibre only.

That new Kobo looks great. You're able to scroll on PDFs by moving your finger around the screen and it's quite smooth.

I can see the major e-ink readers all having touch screens in the future, although I still like buttons. I don't really have much desire to change the page by swiping the screen. Fingerprints bother me enough on my kindle.

womp

AndyD said:
I think this is the place to ask a Calibre question.

Is there a way to change the cover of a book in Calibre? I know I can download new covers from google/amazon, but they don't seem to be saved to the E-book replacing the cover that is included in the mobi file. They seem to be used for Calibre only.

Right click on the book and choose edit metadata -edit metadata individually. You can fetch the info using the book title or better yet its ISBN then save. Never had a problem with ePub, MOBI, PDF etc although understand that not all formats are capable of saving covers.

Quite frankly, I find cover art worthless on the Kindle anyway, although the OCD in me tends to include it. heh.

Manics

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
That new Kobo looks great. You're able to scroll on PDFs by moving your finger around the screen and it's quite smooth.

I can see the major e-ink readers all having touch screens in the future, although I still like buttons. I don't really have much desire to change the page by swiping the screen. Fingerprints bother me enough on my kindle.
How does it scroll smoothly with the e-ink redraw? I thought it uses the same display as Kindle 3?

VistraNorrez said:

It does look good, and its even got achievements.

Direct link to the video

Top Bottom