• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RX 6000 'Big Navi' GPU Event | 10/28/2020 @ 12PM EST/9AM PST/4PM UK

Malakhov

Banned
giphy.gif
Is the rest of the video NSFW. If so where, asking for a friend

Andodalf

Banned
So recap, people here think that these will be as good or better than what Nvidia has, for cheaper, while implementing first gen RT

Ooookay

Elog

Some people that write about DLSS 2.0 seems to think it is something magic.

It is basically traditional upscaling techniques (with multiple iterations tested for the best possible result) probability adjusted for the angles and distances a given part of the image is viewed at when people play the games. It is really good but there are multiple paths to the same goal.

Last edited:
So recap, people here think that these will be as good or better than what Nvidia has, for cheaper, while implementing first gen RT

Ooookay

Most people think they will roughly match Nvidia with wins/loses on a game by game basis. Generally to be ~5 +/- with Nvidia (3080). Possibly a slightly higher average Raster performance? But ehh I'm still sticking with on par as my prediction.

In Ray Tracing most people are not expecting them to match Nvidia, they will be behind by a noticeable margin. (Maybe 20%?)

Price? Probably slightly lower than Nvidia, 50-100 lower, most likely 50 lower.

They will have more memory (16GB) than 3070/3080.

Power draw? Who knows, I think most are expecting them to be slightly lower than Nvidia but wouldn't be massively surprised if they were equal. If AMD were higher I would find that pretty surprising.

Oh and AMD will probably have a very slight advantage at lower resolutions, so 1080p/1440p

Last edited:

Azzurri

DM the link ;)

But on Topic, if the new AMD GPUs are on par or let's say by some miracle better than the 3080 and 3090 that would make my day. I have nothing against nVidia since I've owned an nVidia for the last 13 years, but having AMD back in the game would be a breath of fresh air, especially on the higher end of the GPU chart which I prefer. 2 of my favorite GPU cars of all time were the ATI 9800 Pro and the ATI 4870x2.

Elog

Nah it just has really great results, if AMD do something similar we'll be rolling

I really like it on my 2080ti. Having said that - I would not be able to tell the difference with checker-board rendering on my PS4pro without doing the whole 400% thing.

Xyphie

Predictions:

Very good performance in 1080p/1440p but lags behind Ampere in 4K because of bandwidth limitations.
Raytracing demos shown but no performance metrics.
No Navi 22 (RX 6700XT/6700/6600XT) information. Won't launch this year.
Bundles with Ryzen 5000 processors.

6900XT:
$749-799
~105% RTX 3080 (Will be compared to RTX 3090 by AMD, "same perf, half price" kind of messaging)
~350W reference

6800XT:
$649
~95% RTX 3080 in 3rd party reviews (Will be shown with games similar or better performance by AMD)
~300-325W reference, ~350W board power for fancy AIB OC models (ASUS STRIX et al)

6800:
$579
~85% 6800XT perf
275W reference

Senua

Gold Member
I really like it on my 2080ti. Having said that - I would not be able to tell the difference with checker-board rendering on my PS4pro without doing the whole 400% thing.
Checkerboarding has more artifacts, don't get me wrong that's still impressive but DLSS is a big leap ahead I reckon

AGRacing

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I certainly wasn't trying to rub it in or anything of that nature.

Right now the majority of people are still working in some capacity, if their earnings are unaffected then it means they would normally be going to restaurants, bars, cinema, shopping more etc...

The fact that many people are not doing that during lockdowns means they likely have a surplus of income compared to how they normally operate.

These GPUs and the 3000 series are luxury high cost items, it makes sense that when talking about cards that start (right now anyway) at $500 and go all the way up to $1500 that it would be people with enough disposable income to afford such cards. I'm certainly not rich or in a 6 figure job, I live in Ireland and if you are from the US then the average wage here is likely much lower than in your country (depends on state and city I guess).

Luckily me and my wife are both still employed right now, I likely won't be buying a new GPU until march of next year at the earliest so I'm in no rush but it makes sense that 90% of people in these threads would have enough disposable income in the current economic climate to afford these cards.

I'm sorry about your situation and I genuinely hope you and your family the best, but coming into a luxury electronic non necessity item thread on a gaming forum to browbeat people over offhand comments including their predictions for sales/shortages of these luxury items given big changes to society/the economy currently and with the fact that most people are still working in some capacity is a little much.

Not trying to start anything with you and I do hope things improve for you and your family, but I don't really want to get into a big corona virus argument right now. We should all be excited about the prospect of these cards as gaming enthusiasts regardless of our financial or other real life situations.

No I wasn't trying to start anything with you either.

Elog

Checkerboarding has more artifacts, don't get me wrong that's still impressive but DLSS is a big leap ahead I reckon

Agree - my point is that those artefacts does not show up without the magnifying glass. However, I am certain that DLSS2.0 lowers the load even more on the GPU, i.e. is more efficient (at least that is my assumption).

llien

5 minutes to go, motherfucker.

Drinking game for... well, those into drinking, I guess:

1B4iByp.png

DM the link ;)
Why DM, is this site run by #taliban or something?
Google says it's Kristin Cavallari.

Kinda weird that I'm a console guy but I feel more excited about this reveal than about PS5 or XSX 😂
Because implications of AMD returning to big chip GPU market are huge.

Last edited:

Irobot82

If the parts don't suck I'll be going with the Gigabyte 6800xt/RTX3080 since my mobo is Gigabyte and I want to sync.

Elog

I hope they go quite deep today.

I hope to hear something about the geometry engine updates (and how they link those changes to the rumoured tiled rendering approach), some details around their RT solution, details around the infinity cache and links (potentially to PS5) and what other changes they have done to the CUs in RDNA2 compared to RDNA1.

And then the cards and some performance metrics.

I know - I will most likely be a little disappointed :)

Top Bottom