• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans eating more meat due to oversupply of poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

degrees-of-meat.jpg

That Medium Rare looks a lot closer to Medium than what I think of as Medium Rare.

Should be solid pink in the middle.

Kite

It's the new diets that say you should eat a lot of chicken breast and thighs for the protein.

My family has paid a price for this. My wife works for the USDA as a veterinary medical officer overseeing the chicken industry. She's had to work insane hours over the last year. Hopefully, things will slow down a bit so my son and I can get our mom/wife back.

bsp

Um, it's not like vegetable and such are entirely "green."

True, it's just that some are leagues more efficient. We also send a huge chunk (or even half+) of these crops to sustain the bloated livestock population, producing even more waste. Each step up on the food chain is about a 99% energy loss. It is better (environmentally, I argue morally) just to consume those crops directly.

bsp

Americans are also dying more from various cancers, heart disease and diabetes!
You make the connection.

I'm pretty anti-animal industry but there isn't a connection between poultry and bad health concerns like cancer or heart disease. Red meat poses the risk but that is still pretty small.

Americans also have more sex and freedom. Do the math.

Not sure what having sex all over the place and your so called "Freedom" has to do with this? Besides meat, eggs, and dairy products slow the flow of blood to all the body’s organs so you might just be wrong there!
White meat is the best of all meats and if you rally have to eat it then for gods sake support a local farm where you can see with your own eyes the conditions it is raised in. The stuff you see in supermarket isles is chemical filled garbage!

I'm pretty anti-animal industry but there isn't a connection between poultry and bad health concerns like cancer or heart disease. Red meat poses the risk but that is still pretty small.

Apart from the devastating affect on the planet, eating too much of any meat significantly raises the risk of colonic disease and cardiovascular related death.

Dugna

This is sorta on topic but, if we figured out how to mass produce lab made meat...would that be better for our environment?

bsp

This is sorta on topic but, if we figured out how to mass produce lab made meat...would that be better for our environment?

Yes. Unless the production method was somehow worse in emissions than raising and feeding billions of animals a year and transporting them all around. That isn't at all likely. Not only would it erase/ease the emissions that come directly from livestock production but it would also free up the huge amount of crops we need to feed them -- that food could then be used or not grown in the first place, lessening the waste even more.

Kayhan

Goose>Duck>Pork>Lamb>Goat>Beef>>>>>>Chicken>>>>>>>>>>>>>Turkey

Turkey is a shit bird that mostly only Americans eat.

Fuchsdh

Those stats are mostly interesting in that the average person eats about as much pork as they do beef. No way that's the case for me, but it's probably still a chicken > beef > pork distribution.

And yeah, can't say no to 79¢/lb chicken thighs in bulk.

Everyone in this thread should watch Before the Flood & Earthlings.

I severely doubt they will.
Bodybuilding.com and bro science seem to reign supreme around here!

You sure about that?

Bambermycin - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens, beef cattle, swine, and turkeys.
Virginiamycin peptide - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens, swine, turkeys, and beef cattle.
Bacitracin peptide - increase weight gain and feed conversion ratio in chickens, turkeys, beef cattle, and swine; promotes egg production in chickens.
Lincomycin - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens and swine.
Neomycin/ oxytetracyclinee - increase weight gain and feed conversion ratio in chickens, turkeys, swine, and beef cattle.
Penicillin - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens, turkeys, and swine.
Roxarsone - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens and turkeys.
Tylosin - increase feed conversion ratio and weight gain in chickens and swine.

I severely doubt they will.
Bodybuilding.com and bro science seem to reign supreme around here!
*Eyeroll

Everyone should martyr themselves to save our poor planet, because that individual sacrifice will completely tip the scales absent regulatory involvement.

Love that you bitch about pseudoscience and then promptly refer to bullshit yourself.

bsp

*Eyeroll

Everyone should martyr themselves to save our poor planet, because that individual sacrifice will completely tip the scales absent regulatory involvement.

Cutting meat is the biggest impact you can make in your personal carbon footprint. I'd rather we all start practicing what we preach.

Dugna

Yes. Unless the production method was somehow worse in emissions than raising and feeding billions of animals a year and transporting them all around. That isn't at all likely. Not only would it erase/ease the emissions that come directly from livestock production but it would also free up the huge amount of crops we need to feed them -- that food could then be used or not grown in the first place, lessening the waste even more.

hmmm, ok I know we got some fake meat started but not in a big enough size to work for more then like 1 person at a time. Unless that changed recently....it would also reduce the amount of animals that are killed which lowers tensions with many groups...not sure why this isn't done then.

bsp

hmmm, ok I know we got some fake meat started but not in a big enough size to work for more then like 1 person at a time. Unless that changed recently....it would also reduce the amount of animals that are killed which lowers tensions with many groups...not sure why this isn't done then.

It is a very large problem to tackle so it takes time. Bloody "meat" synthesized from bovine stem cells already exist, it's just that the cost is very high as the technology is new and not optimized for production. We'll reach it someday.

kmfdmpig

I don't hold out much hope for fake meat tasting good anytime soon. The scientists were surprised to learn that meat without fat was dry and tasted bad. Anyone that knows much about meat knows that the fat provides the flavor and that a good burger, for example, will typically have a higher fat content. How they got so far in the science without understanding that I'll never know.

Bass260

Documentaries are subjective and are meant to be emotionally biased.
I prefer to actually listen to scientists.

The science is in - climate change is real. On a fact driven basis, one of the leading contributors to climate change is animal agriculture.

If anyone is interested in learning about climate change, modern agricultural practices and making a difference - please watch Before the Flood & Earthlings.

Dugna

It is a very large problem to tackle so it takes time. Bloody "meat" synthesized from bovine stem cells already exist, it's just that the cost is very high as the technology is new and not optimized for production. We'll reach it someday.

it would also help to supply food for many people....overall again seems like a good idea unless some unforeseen consequences comes up.

I don't hold out much hope for fake meat tasting good anytime soon. The scientists were surprised to learn that meat without fat was dry and tasted bad. Anyone that knows much about meat knows that the fat provides the flavor and that a good burger, for example, will typically have a higher fat content. How they got so far in the science without understanding that I'll never know.

I know fat gives flavor but is it needed to make the meat nutritional at all?

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The science is in - climate change is real. On a fact driven basis, one of the leading contributors to climate change is animal agriculture.

If anyone is interested in learning about climate change, modern agricultural practices and making a difference - please watch Before the Flood & Earthlings.

I guess the point went over your head. I have never and will never be a climate or any sort of science denier, including modern agriculture practices and GMOs.
The fact that you spread such myths as hormones in poultry is telling that you get your sources from those who wish to spread such myths.

all those scary words OMG, I can also use Google.

bsp

I know fat gives flavor but is it needed to make the meat nutritional at all?

It's not really about nutrition but rather making a product that people who don't like current meat-alternatives will eat. We already have the means for the whole (or nearly whole) modern world to cut meat; the problem is convincing those that value taste or some quasi-spiritual experience of meat over environmental or ethical factors.

Crayons

Banned
I'm partially responsible.

I stopped eating pork entirely, and I have meat less often. I have chicken almost exclusively.

Liberty4all

Banned
My guess is that it's partly because chicken is healthier.

I love red meat though, especially living in the red meat capital of Canada, Alberta.

Documentaries are subjective and are meant to be emotionally biased.
I prefer to actually listen to scientists.
Here are some well respect doctors to share their opinions on meat consumption:

http://www.pcrm.org/media/experts/neal-barnard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RY1DATFaaw

http://www.thedavisclinic.com/dr-garth-davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-JxmcfIoI

http://nutritionfacts.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUOTeTAE06k

This is a good book that might interest you all.
Well worth a read:
http://proteinaholic.com/
Davis_PRETEINAHOLIC.jpg

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

lol

http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/studies-link-eggs-to-stroke-diabetes-heart-disease-cancer
this is quite hilarious when actually the truth is way better

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/w...esterol-isnt-quite-as-bad-as-youve-been-told/

I prefer Yoni Freedhoff and the folks at the Canadian Obesity Network than some dudes with Dr Oz approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom