• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An analysis of view counts and popularity for all game shows and conferences this "E3"

LakeOf9

With Fake E3 season now behind us, I wanted to do an analysis of all the major shows that aired this year and gauge their reception. Please find my analysis, along with the raw data I used, below. Before we get to that, some quick notes:

• For this analysis, I used the views on the "main" channel for each brand, not regional ones.
  • For this analysis, I used exact values for each metric, not the rounded values YouTube provides.
  • For the dislike count, since YouTube has stopped providing that information, I had to use the Return YouTube Dislike extension for Google Chrome. The same extension was also used for getting the non rounded values for likes.

Okay, without further ado:

SHOW
DATE
VIEWS
PlayStation State of Play May 2024
May 30, 2024​
1,890,417​
56,419​
30,196​
Xbox Showcase 2024
June 9, 2024​
3,963,537​
131,439​
8,772​
Summer Game Fest 2024
June 7, 2024​
7,392,246​
91,959​
18,582​
Ubisoft Forward June 2024
June 10, 2024​
547,432​
18,044​
9,815​
Nintendo Direct June 2024
June 18, 2024​
4,858,735​
176,261​
6,606​

Some takeaways:
  • Ubisoft's show is the least popular one, which makes sense, since it's the only single publisher third party show of the season.
  • Ubisoft is also the most disliked show of the bunch. It has a like to dislike ratio of 1.838, which is very slightly lower than PlayStation's 1.868 (the second lowest).
  • PlayStation's show is the least viewed of the three platform holders.
  • PlayStation's show is also the most disliked of the three platform holders.
  • Summer Game Fest is the most viewed show of the season. However, Summer Game Fest also aired before any other show than the PlayStation State of Play.
  • This may at least partially explain why it has more views than more liked shows. SGF has a like to dislike ratio of 4.948, which is lower than the Xbox Showcase and Nintendo Direct. But it also aired before either of those.
  • The Xbox Showcase very definitively beat the PlayStation State of Play, with more than double the views, and a week and a half less time to accrue them.
  • The Xbox Showcase is the second most liked show of the season. It has a like to dislike ratio of 14.983.
  • Nintendo Direct is the most viewed show of the platform holders, and the second most viewed show overall. With almost 4.9 million views, it is almost a million views ahead of Xbox, in spite of only airing yesterday (I.e., a week and a half less time than Xbox, and even more so compared to the other shows).
  • Nintendo Direct is the most liked show of the season, with a like to dislike ratio of 26.681.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yeah but Nintendo cheated. Metroid Prime 4 is an instant win.

Without Prime 4, Microsoft would absolutely be the champion. Their showcase was wall-to-wall packed.

I think what depresses me the most is how many people tuned into The Geoffs, which was such a disappointment.

Last edited:

IAmRei

For me, Nintendo wins. There are lot of fun games for many:

- surprisingly real "zelda" games is very awesome. Problem solving skills might improve for lot of kids who played it.
-Also new mario party should be new "friendship killer".
- There is also surprisingly awesome remake of 90s games in SQ side, which might setting the new era of cooler remake for their lesser or well known IPs.
- Danganroppa devs also showing they can make combat games which is surpisingly looks good.
- Xbox 360 "overlord" + story of season games with fairy tail style game is also welcomed as new twist in rune factory sub genre.
- MVC 2 in switch is a must for me <3
- metroid prime 4 is long waited game for me, and the result of waiting is fruitful. The graphic and presentation is super awesome.
- there are lot of great games as well. But i'm too lazy to write.

I believe the counts of viewer is bigger for nintendo since their market is wide.

feynoob

Gold Member
Xbox showcase advantage over this is that its gets shared by the big content creators. Call of duty, wow, twitch and other big youtubers. Considering its easy views for them.

RickSanchez

SHOW
DATE
VIEWS
PlayStation State of Play May 2024
May 30, 2024​
1,890,417​
56,419​

30,196​
Xbox Showcase 2024
June 9, 2024​
3,963,537​
131,439​
8,772​
Summer Game Fest 2024
June 7, 2024​
7,392,246​
91,959​
18,582​
Ubisoft Forward June 2024
June 10, 2024​
547,432​
18,044​
9,815​
Nintendo Direct June 2024
June 18, 2024​
4,858,735​
176,261​
6,606​

For my taste, the best / most creative / most fun games, were shown during two events not listed here - 'Day of the Devs' and the PC Games Show. Unless you are bundling the stats for Day of the Devs with Summer Games Fest.

All the other shows were just full of the standard AAA formula - open-world, action-adventure, RPG elements, gear building collectathon. And i've had about enough of that now.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
There wasnt anything shown at conferences that interested me except for nintendo with:

- Dragon Quest 2DHD (Most hyped game)
- Romancing SaGa 2 Remake
- Legend of Zelda: Zelda.

So Nintendo wins.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Makes you wonder if it even matters at all if these shows are good or bad.. The PlayStation showcase was pretty terrible, but even when assuming everyone watching already owns a Ps5 (which they don’t) only 3% of the user base saw it.

But maybe that’s how it always is.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Makes you wonder if it even matters at all if these shows are good or bad.. The PlayStation showcase was pretty terrible, but even when assuming everyone watching already owns a Ps5 (which they don’t) only 3% of the user base saw it.

But maybe that’s how it always is.
Sure, but if PS doesn't smash it for the remaining years of PS5, will people be lining up for PS6 at launch? All depends on what others do, but I know I won't be.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's crazy to see such positive engagement for microsoft yet they can't translate it into hardware sales....what a baffling platform.

Robb

Gold Member
Sure, but if PS doesn't smash it for the remaining years of PS5, will people be lining up for PS6 at launch? All depends on what others do, but I know I won't be.
I agree, but I’m just saying these shows don’t need to “smash it” in that case either way.

They could’ve had the best show they’ve ever had at any point in time here and “only” (less than) 3% of users would’ve tuned in either way.

March Climber

Gold Member
Yeah but Nintendo cheated. Metroid Prime 4 is an instant win.

Without Prime 4, Microsoft would absolutely be the champion. Their showcase was wall-to-wall packed.
Kind of. Aside from a few exceptions, Nintendo has been much more reliable with their release dates and the quality of their games shown than MS, and their fanbase is much more loyal than MS’s at this present time.

I expect nearly every Nintendo game shown to release in the next 12-18 months. There were a lot of missing release dates/years for Microsoft’s showing.

Personally I liked the Xbox showcase more, but I can understand why people left that Nintendo showing feeling satisfied.

LakeOf9

Kind of. Aside from a few exceptions, Nintendo has been much more reliable with their release dates and the quality of their games shown than MS, and their fanbase is much more loyal than MS’s at this present time.

I expect nearly every Nintendo game shown to release in the next 12-18 months. There were a lot of missing release dates/years for Microsoft’s showing.

Personally I liked the Xbox showcase more, but I can understand why people left that Nintendo showing feeling satisfied.
Same, Nintendo's brought the heat for a console that's eight years old, and I get why that appeals to people. But for my tastes Xbox was the best one overall.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
More views than I expected for that Nintendo Direct, and more thumbs up. Thought it was an average showcase at best.

Less views than I expected for that State of Play. Genuinely surprising.

The rest is mostly in line with what we've all discussed here. SGF still manages to get eyeballs somehow. I guess the guy knows marketing.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sony seems to be losing some steam with the enthusiast crowd, but their wider sales still look unstoppable.

Frankly they're in a lull right now but I fully expect them to rebound with some big announcements soon.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Nintendo gives one day notice and drops the show during the work day for most of the West and still takes the prize. Wild.

Top Bottom